inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ouija boards...your experiences with them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/22/06 at 7:26 am

I've never personally tried a Ouija board...but years ago this girl that I was friends with had one and was messing around with it. It appeared that it was moving her fingers without her help...but it didn't do much other than that.

What are some of your stories/experiences?

Subject: Re: Ouija boards...your experiences with them.

Written By: Gis on 06/22/06 at 8:15 am

Never tried one and never would, I think they are far too dangerous. I have never heard anyone who has had a good experience with one.......

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/22/06 at 10:47 am

I used one with my mother once - we supposedly contacted a cheeky young girl named Quellen. When we asked where she was, she said "In the ground." She'd respond to most of our queries with "secret" and "can't tell," and it got a bit annoying.

I used one by myself once or twice before too, but all the pointer-thingy did was swirl aimlessly around the board. It did feel like it was moving on its own, but it wasn't saying anything - I think the only intelligible word it spelled once was "help."

This was when I was younger. I consider Ouijas somewhat creepy things because I don't understand how they work - whether it is my own subconscious mind pushing the bloody thing around and coming up with the answers, or whether they really are ghosts communicating with me. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/06 at 10:56 am

I have tried them many times over the years. The first time, I must have been about 13.  I used one with my mother. The thing was going very, very fast back and forth from the letters O and Z (we didn't know if it meant O-Z or Z-O). When that first started happening, my mother asked me if I was doing that. I said no and asked her the same question. She said no. (*Cue Twilight Zone theme).

I have even worked it by myself. It was kind of freaky when it moved and I KNEW I wasn't moving it.

The next time I had an experience with it, I was 17 and working at a theatre for the summer. Someone had one and this kept most of us occupied for a few weeks or so. At one session, it kept spelling my name out over and over again. (I think I was touching the board but I'm not ruling out the fact that the other person could have been trying to fake me out.)  But there were two incidence that did REALLY freak me out.

1. There was a guy who was standing on the other side of the room. He had a piece a paper and was writing down a letter or a number. Then we would have the Ouija go to that letter or number. Most of the time it was really close-either one letter/number off or if it was an X it would go to S (which sounds a lot alike).

2. I was not even touching the board at the time. Two other people were working it but I was asking the questions. I was trying to contact my grandfather. I asked him name and it went crazy. Then I asked if it was because my mother was adopted. It said yes. Then I asked what my mother's REAL name was. I knew it but I knew the two people working the board did not. It spelled out the correct name!  :o :o :o  I am not ruling out the fact that maybe some how I managed to use some form of telekanisis to move the piece or not. But, it REALLY freaked me out. That was the last time that I ever used a Ouija board and it WILL be the last time, too.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/22/06 at 11:28 am

They're lame.  My friend tried to convince me that "spirits" were moving the damn thing around the board........until I saw her brother underneath the table with a magnet. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/22/06 at 9:26 pm

They're lame.  My friend tried to convince me that "spirits" were moving the damn thing around the board........until I saw her brother underneath the table with a magnet. 

Shoot, she got ripped off.  No need to pay $19.99 for a magnet when they work just fine without magnets.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mouija.html

http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/Ouija%20board.html

(NOTE: Warranty on non-magnetically-operated boards is null and void when the operator is suitably blindfolded and spins around a couple of times before sitting down in front of the board.  For this, you'll need to hire a skilled operator who has memorized the positions of all the symbols.  Such a person will, of course, be able to produce results when blindfolded, without any board at all, but will fail miserably when not blindfolded and given a planchard without a  board :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/22/06 at 11:31 pm

One thing I find interesting is that the makers of Ouija boards (Parker Bros.) happens to be or was located in
Salem, Massachusetts.

Written By: karen on 06/23/06 at 8:26 am

A friend of mine was telling me he managed to freak out all his family when they used a ouija board recently.  He would start moving the pointer towards a letter and then when he was accused of doing it he would take his hand off the pointer and it would carry on moving towards the letter.  It never moved unless he set it going in a particular direction.

Written By: twistedwarp on 07/01/06 at 9:42 pm

Ok, I personally never had a experience with that thing, but my older sisters used to play with  that  back in 96 or 95 I think. They claim that they talked with a spirit that passed away that used to live in ohio. And died without telling something to his daughter. My dumb sisters kept talking to that spirit just beacuase  that spirit wanted my sisters to tell her daughter something.They also said that there was another one that only talked sheesh. A bad spirit, I remember this beacuase they were telling my mother. also beacuase strange things started to happen on our house. later they burned that thing and never talked about it . I ask them but they never wanna talk about it or even say it. strange but true.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/01/06 at 11:51 pm

Once I used one and it told me that in the future, a ghost may pants me in the middle of PE class.  :-[

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/02/06 at 1:06 am

simply reminds me of being in my friend's room and doing the Ouija board thing..it seemed kinda 'fixed' as in self-oriented  :-[ :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 3:53 am

me and a couple of friends tried to use it and ask questions. I know i was moving it myself because the darn thing didn't work. I think any spirits didn't wanna mess with us badass's

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/07/06 at 12:55 am

One thing I find interesting is that the makers of Ouija boards (Parker Bros.) happens to be or was located in
Salem, Massachusetts.

That is weird that that is where they are made... Well, I had an expirence with one in 1989-1990 and they are the real deal in my book.  It was amess of trouble and I actually had a friend of mines mother < who is a witch> cast a spell to drive the evil spirits away!  I know some people dont beleieve and I havent spoken about this for yrs but It is real and I would NEVER reccomend it to anyone.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/07/06 at 3:07 am

That is weird that that is where they are made... Well, I had an expirence with one in 1989-1990 and they are the real deal in my book.  It was amess of trouble and I actually had a friend of mines mother < who is a witch> cast a spell to drive the evil spirits away!  I know some people dont beleieve and I havent spoken about this for yrs but It is real and I would NEVER reccomend it to anyone.
I read it somewhere, about the locale and then I looked at the company online and sure enough. Salem, Mass. That is a little weird. I wouldn't mess with one

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/07/06 at 9:02 am

I read it somewhere, about the locale and then I looked at the company online and sure enough. Salem, Mass. That is a little weird. I wouldn't mess with one

good idea, stay away from them but that is a neat fact about them, kinda creepy though :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/06 at 9:41 am

I have never tried, I do know the history and have kept my distance.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/07/06 at 12:45 pm

I used to play with one with a girlfriend in middle school. We would mostly ask it what boys liked us and it would tell us what we wanted to hear.
My dad and I used one to pick lottery numbers a lot when I was in hs but we never won. If anyone will win it will be that man though; he has played the GA lottery faithfully every week since it began.
I have not experienced anything bad, although I did peak in high school and have never made much money so maybe I am posessed. I'm sure Scientology would think so.

On a side note, my parents had a good friend who had terminal cancer. Before he died he told them which lottery numbers he wanted them to play for him every week. They slacked off and my mother dreamed the dead friend came and asked her if they had been playing his numbers. Goofy woman still didn't play them and that week five of his six numbers hit. Maybe if we contacted him by Ouija board? No, he'd probably just use it as an excuse to come back to this plane of existence and start grabbing asses.  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/07/06 at 12:49 pm

I used to play with one with a girlfriend in middle school. We would mostly ask it what boys liked us and it would tell us what we wanted to hear.
My dad and I used one to pick lottery numbers a lot when I was in hs but we never won. If anyone will win it will be that man though; he has played the GA lottery faithfully every week since it began.
I have not experienced anything bad, although I did peak in high school and have never made much money so maybe I am posessed. I'm sure Scientology would think so.

On a side note, my parents had a good friend who had terminal cancer. Before he died he told them which lottery numbers he wanted them to play for him every week. They slacked off and my mother dreamed the dead friend came and asked her if they had been playing his numbers. Goofy woman still didn't play them and that week five of his six numbers hit. Maybe if we contacted him by Ouija board? No, he'd probably just use it as an excuse to come back to this plane of existence and start grabbing asses.  :D
whoa, you can do that when you're gone?  ;D  ;D

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/08/06 at 12:15 am

whoa, you can do that when you're gone?  ;D  ;D

Sure. All you have to do is believe in yourself and say, "Mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho!"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/08/06 at 12:20 am

Sure. All you have to do is believe in yourself and say, "Mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho!"
"Mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho!" 

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qfLHthEoHEAuimjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=120nijv5e/EXP=1155100747/**http%3a//www.yaysports.com/nfl/jambi-thumb.jpg 

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/08/06 at 9:44 am

I grew up in the haunts of New England (eastern MA, Boston area). I had a PB Ouija board as a kid in the 80s. It did nothing for me, my family, or my friends. I tried again as a teen in the early 90s..same result.

P

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/08/06 at 11:55 am

It would be interesting to know if people who have success with the Ouija board, meaning people who have no doubt that the planchette? moves through no movement on their part, are also those who can dowse for water and graves. I myself can find water and graves with two welding rods.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/09/06 at 12:51 am

It would be interesting to know if people who have success with the Ouija board, meaning people who have no doubt that the planchette? moves through no movement on their part, are also those who can dowse for water and graves. I myself can find water and graves with two welding rods.

This would be an interseting poll:  I have often wondered that too but for me... i know it works , I have no doubt, My friend and I have never made it move, It did it on its own.. As scary as it was, It was interesting.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/10/06 at 2:20 am

I understand that you might not really want to talk about it, Kelly, but it does sound interesting...from way over here! If that happened to me I'd probably be in a rubber room. You must be a brave and resilient soul. Karma.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/10/06 at 11:23 pm

I understand that you might not really want to talk about it, Kelly, but it does sound interesting...from way over here! If that happened to me I'd probably be in a rubber room. You must be a brave and resilient soul. Karma.

lol.. thanks, I think I must be rbave.. the thing was when i 1st did it, it was a game with friends and then it became something that was taking over me, it was an addiction since i was so facsinated with it but I never doubted it wasnt real.. It knew too much, things myself or my friend could not know and it  was true.. It even told me that I would meet a man that i did meet and had a 3 yr relationship with I never knew but then, there was this like spirttual side that was intriging but not for me to see and things were released that took over someone I was very close with and it was Life changing... I know alot of people dont believe but i know alot do a nd they are powerful and they are not to be trusted.... im so glad I got away form it,,, I was desperate enough to ask my friends mother to cast the spirits out an believe u me, Im sane < I think? LOL>... Im not like one to believe in the really way out there but I dont doubt it either,.. not anymore... It was really intersting though

Written By: CeeKay on 09/12/06 at 9:17 am

I tried the Ouiji board as a kid with my friends.  I wanted it to be real....but nothing ever happened.  We used it as a silly sleep-over game.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/23/06 at 1:44 am

8) I had a sleepover..and we had a Ouijaboard.....My friends thought I was nuts anyway..But I asked to call up spirits and when we did the thinghy moved by itself...We took our hands off and it moved all over the board and then the front door knob turned by itself...Ev one stayed but no one slept that night...I am used to it.. wierd things happen to me to this day

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/09/06 at 12:15 pm

I have never played with one, but when I was in elementary school, it was the cool thing to do.  When I was in 5th grade, a bunch of 6th graders were playing with one at recess one day and they asked it if the school was going to blow up when the last bell rang.  It said "yes" and the news spread like wildfire through the school.  I have never seen so many kids running for their lives after the bell rang!  At the time I was scared s@*%less, but now that I think about it, it was pretty funny.  And no, the school didn't blow up.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/06 at 12:49 am

What are the four magic words?

The power of suggestion!

It's all fun and games as long as it stays all fun and games.  My sister and my cousin used to scare themselves crazy with thing.  I always thought that was a waste of time.  I've always felt the "real world" was much more frightening than anything the occult had to offer!

BTW, I used to live in Salem, Mass.  It's bollocks.  Maybe it's gotten better in the past decade, but when I was there in the early '90s, the town was just another drab municipality that had its downtown killed by the malls along the highway.  There are some important historical landmarks.  The Witch Museum isn't one of them.  That's a floating load.  The Essex Institute and the Peabody Museum are wonderful, but they've got nothing to to do with witches.  The Salem Witch trials happened not in present-day Salem, but in Danvers, which was part of Salem way back when (Salem Village).  The witches were hanged, a few were pressed, none were "burned" as is often mistated.  Another misconception--the witches were not hanged on the same hill as the Danvers mental hospital (Hospital Hill), but on Gallows Hill.
Anyway...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/20/06 at 1:39 am

The power of suggestion!

It's all fun and games as long as it stays all fun and games.  My sister and my cousin used to scare themselves crazy with thing.  I always thought that was a waste of time.  I've always felt the "real world" was much more frightening than anything the occult had to offer!

BTW, I used to live in Salem, Mass.  It's bollocks.  Maybe it's gotten better in the past decade, but when I was there in the early '90s, the town was just another drab municipality that had its downtown killed by the malls along the highway.  There are some important historical landmarks.  The Witch Museum isn't one of them.  That's a floating load.  The Essex Institute and the Peabody Museum are wonderful, but they've got nothing to to do with witches.  The Salem Witch trials happened not in present-day Salem, but in Danvers, which was part of Salem way back when (Salem Village).  The witches were hanged, a few were pressed, none were "burned" as is often mistated.  Another misconception--the witches were not hanged on the same hill as the Danvers mental hospital (Hospital Hill), but on Gallows Hill.
Anyway...
The witch trial hysteria happened in Danvers, formerly Salem Village, yet the city of Salem does get tagged with that history even though it didn't occur there.  I read that there were Parkers involved in the trials, even Parker brothers which is why I thought it interesting that the board game moguls were from Salem, but there must be hundreds to thousands of Parkers and it's just a coincidence.
I think I tried this game once just briefly and nothing happened, so I had no desire to pursue supernatural assistance in a game but I've heard people say they were frightened at things that happened, answers being given, the piece moving on it's own.. The power of suggestion?  perhaps, but who really knows.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/06 at 5:51 pm

The power of suggestion!

Anyway...

Yeah, and it is amazing how Salem will latch on to this tragic episode in history and turn it into a tourist trap. A few years back, Carlos and I (along with his youngest daughter) went to Salem with the college's History Club. I'm not too sure who lined up the sights we were going to see but the 3 of us were very disappointed. They seem to pick all the touristy stuff including the Witch Museum and left the real interesting stuff off the itinary.  Carlos' daughter was only about 16 at the time and she was so way ahead of these college students in terms of what was really going on in the city (both in 1690 and in 2000-when we were there). Carlos' daughter is a fellow witch and the 2 of us would have loved to have spent hours in one of the many book stores they had but the college students weren't interested.  ::)  When we got back on the bus, they were all interested in the books I got-especially the Tarot cards I bought. One kid was so disappointed because he didn't meet any "real" witches. I said to him, "There are 2 on this bus right now". He never said a word. In fact, if they really wanted to know, they would have asked us questions-but none of them did.

We were planning on going back-without the History Club but we never did-at least not YET!!!

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/22/06 at 5:55 pm

"Mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho!" 

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qfLHthEoHEAuimjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=120nijv5e/EXP=1155100747/**http%3a//www.yaysports.com/nfl/jambi-thumb.jpg 

I was watching Pee-Wee today, and thought I'd quote Jambi somewhere, but I guess it's been done.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/06 at 8:11 pm

I spent some time at Salem State College.  The library is really scary.  Not because of any paranormal activity, but because it's falling over.  Shoddy construction!

One of my professors had her office in the library.  Every week the door got harder to open.  Finally she just couldn't open it at all.  Physical plant said, "Oh yeah, that's because the library is slumping.  They're starting emergency construction so it doesn't collapse."  Years later the building still felt off-kilter.  If a building is too poorly designed I think it can give off subtle tremors, vibrations, and tensile differentials that can make it seem spooky.  I still got the sense it was slumping despite the remedial efforts.  They kept the library up to code, but I think they really needed to raze the dump and start again.  Of course, the state always starved them for funds, so they couldn't do it!
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/06 at 2:54 pm

I spent some time at Salem State College.  The library is really scary.  Not because of any paranormal activity, but because it's falling over.  Shoddy construction!

One of my professors had her office in the library.  Every week the door got harder to open.  Finally she just couldn't open it at all.  Physical plant said, "Oh yeah, that's because the library is slumping.  They're starting emergency construction so it doesn't collapse."  Years later the building still felt off-kilter.  If a building is too poorly designed I think it can give off subtle tremors, vibrations, and tensile differentials that can make it seem spooky.  I still got the sense it was slumping despite the remedial efforts.  They kept the library up to code, but I think they really needed to raze the dump and start again.  Of course, the state always starved them for funds, so they couldn't do it!
::)

I remember a building at Brooks AFB in San Antonio, TX that was built on a swamp and was slipping into the ground. The funny thing was, they had beams on the side of the building holding it up. Never did find out what happened to that building. I know the base closed so that building could have sunk into the swamp.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/06 at 9:57 pm

I remember a building at Brooks AFB in San Antonio, TX that was built on a swamp and was slipping into the ground. The funny thing was, they had beams on the side of the building holding it up. Never did find out what happened to that building. I know the base closed so that building could have sunk into the swamp.

Cat

"....that one burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp!"
--Monty Python

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/08 at 8:23 am

So, I'd like to know who else has used one of these and had a creepy experience with it. In your opinion, just how does it work?

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/25/08 at 1:33 am

I've never tried using one of those Ouija boards, and I don't know if I really want to, either.  :o

Written By: Temptation on 05/25/08 at 3:23 am

Mine disappeared after I used it.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/06/08 at 2:34 pm

I almost died of Boredom trying to use it ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/08 at 11:20 am

In my opinion, it is best to leave them well alone.

Written By: pimpag on 07/08/08 at 5:40 am

These things scare me haha. My cousin and I tried one once before... Well, we tried to make our own by searching the internet for information and stuff and anyway we set it up and sat with the lights out at like 2am with candles, and just got scared, then the candle starts doing stuff so i'm giving it speed out the door lmao. I got too scared, this was years ago mind... I wouldn't try it again, i heard they can bring badness to your life.

Written By: Haman on 08/24/08 at 6:34 am

I've never personally tried a Ouija board...but years ago this girl that I was friends with had one and was messing around with it. It appeared that it was moving her fingers without her help...but it didn't do much other than that.

What are some of your stories/experiences?

As with many other similar things, one of the determining factors that will shape your experience with Ouija boards is your own attitude and mindset.

If you try it as a funny game, then that's what you're going to get.

If you utilize it with a lot of superstitious preconceptions and irrational fears or a gullible position, then that's what you going to get.

If you use it with arrogance and disrespect, then you may or may not have some nasty surprises in your life.

Finally, if you approach it with a balance between an open mind and reason, then you may or may not have some interesting experiences.

Written By: midnite on 08/25/08 at 9:38 pm

As with many other similar things, one of the determining factors that will shape your experience with Ouija boards is your own attitude and mindset.

If you try it as a funny game, then that's what you're going to get.

If you utilize it with a lot of superstitious preconceptions and irrational fears or a gullible position, then that's what you going to get.

If you use it with arrogance and disrespect, then you may or may not have some nasty surprises in your life.

Finally, if you approach it with a balance between an open mind and reason, then you may or may not have some interesting experiences.

I used a ouija board once with an ex girlfriend many years ago.  She was (and may still be) a seemingly good trusting girl who would not play tricks.  We asked questions and the ouija board would answer yes or no.  I was not playing, and assuming that she was not playing then maybe it worked. 

Perhaps our minds guided our hands to the answers that we wanted to hear (or see in this case). 

Written By: Haman on 08/26/08 at 10:01 am

Perhaps our minds guided our hands to the answers that we wanted to hear (or see in this case). 

That's a possibility, certainly.

Written By: joeman on 12/10/08 at 10:42 am

I have done it once in my apartment.  The next day I was having bad vibes whenever I walk in and sometimes I would be hearing things that are not even there.  Eventually we went to a medium and bought candles to light up the house.  Next day things went back to normal.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/08 at 1:51 pm

I have done it once in my apartment.  The next day I was having bad vibes whenever I walk in and sometimes I would be hearing things that are not even there.  Eventually we went to a medium and bought candles to light up the house.  Next day things went back to normal.

You can also do a "cleansing" by yourself. Just burn some sage and make sure it burns in all rooms.

Cat

Written By: Haman on 12/18/08 at 3:37 pm

Interesting.

By the way, be careful with who you call. You just might get an answer.

Written By: joeman on 12/24/08 at 6:06 am

Interesting.

By the way, be careful with who you call. You just might get an answer.

Very true, especially when you do dumb things and ask about your 'future'. 

And Cat, yeah, that was another option we had considering my roomate was having breakdowns between using the board and cleaning the house from the spirits. 

Written By: Silver Power on 01/11/09 at 7:33 pm

Personally, I don't trust any spiritual device with 'Parker Brothers' on the side of the box.

I used a Ouija board. It's fake. NOTHING HAPPENS. When you use it alone, you're lying if you say that YOU didn't move it. If you're with friends, one of the friends always moves it to be a douche, and swears the he/she didn't and that it was a spirit.

It isn't dangerous, nor is it real.

C'mon guys, do something else with your lives. Learn an instrument? Learn a foreign language? Just stop playing around with a mass marketed little board.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/14/09 at 3:54 pm

My daugher, 24, moved into a rental property of ours while saving up for her own home.  Previous tenants had said that they thought the house was creepy - but so were they!  so I paid no attention.  Now one should be aware that while we had no information with regard to the age of the house when we bought it, the town that we live in isn't that old really so the house is at the most 100 years old, give or take.

My daughter lives alone with my grandson who was 3 at the time.  She is complaining that she hears noises and is scared.  So I take my grandson into the basement (dirt dugout - some concrete) and I ask him if he sees anyone, he says no, but he doesn't like the noises from the pipes.  I explain how everything works, ask him again if he sees a man, a lady, anyone at all.  He says no.  My daughter seems somewhat placated, but the next day is still completely creeped out (noises in the night.

So, I decide to resolve the situation further.  Ouija Board, Coronas, & four 40-something women.  My grandma always said "there is no problem in the world that can't be sorted out by a bunch of girlfriends and a libation or few".

Yes the Ouija board moved and spelled out things.  Nothing earth shattering.  We laughed a lot and had a great night.  In the end, my daughter felt better about the acoustics (turns out it was the neighbours camping out in their back yard) because that's all it was.

I really wish the house had been haunted - I would target a specific demographic and get way more rent for it.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/14/09 at 4:59 pm

My daugher, 24, moved into a rental property of ours while saving up for her own home.  Previous tenants had said that they thought the house was creepy - but so were they!  so I paid no attention.  Now one should be aware that while we had no information with regard to the age of the house when we bought it, the town that we live in isn't that old really so the house is at the most 100 years old, give or take.

My daughter lives alone with my grandson who was 3 at the time.  She is complaining that she hears noises and is scared.  So I take my grandson into the basement (dirt dugout - some concrete) and I ask him if he sees anyone, he says no, but he doesn't like the noises from the pipes.  I explain how everything works, ask him again if he sees a man, a lady, anyone at all.  He says no.  My daughter seems somewhat placated, but the next day is still completely creeped out (noises in the night.

So, I decide to resolve the situation further.  Ouija Board, Coronas, & four 40-something women.   My grandma always said "there is no problem in the world that can't be sorted out by a bunch of girlfriends and a libation or few".

Yes the Ouija board moved and spelled out things.  Nothing earth shattering.  We laughed a lot and had a great night.  In the end, my daughter felt better about the acoustics (turns out it was the neighbours camping out in their back yard) because that's all it was.

I really wish the house had been haunted - I would target a specific demographic and get way more rent for it.

One of your 'girlfriends' moved it.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/14/09 at 5:07 pm

One of your 'girlfriends' moved it.

Oh yeah - probably - but not on purpose - I took mine to school when I was 14 and had my science teacher go over how they work with us.  Finger Tip pulses etc.  I guess my point was that I used mine for good, not evil! ::)

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/14/13 at 9:49 am

I played the Ouija Board once when I was 15. This was way before I started attending church, so I didn't know any better. That day my sister and I had gotten the Ouija Board from a friend. We didn't really know what to do or how to play/use it. So we just sat there moving it around asking questions...and after some minutes nothing happened, lol. All I remember after that was my mother going into my room, seeing the Ouija Board and getting all angry. She yelled of course, and asked what we were doing, why there was a Ouija Board in the house, and that we get it out of there that instant! I didn't understand why she was upset until the next day I asked her. She once had a really bad experience. So, I did my own research and found that Ouija Boards are used to communicate with spirits and demons. And that it doesn't matter if the intention is not to communicate....they know anyway :o

And then I thanked heaven my mother had stopped us!

Written By: Howard on 11/14/13 at 2:26 pm

I played the Ouija Board once when I was 15. This was way before I started attending church, so I didn't know any better. That day my sister and I had gotten the Ouija Board from a friend. We didn't really know what to do or how to play/use it. So we just sat there moving it around asking questions...and after some minutes nothing happened, lol. All I remember after that was my mother going into my room, seeing the Ouija Board and getting all angry. She yelled of course, and asked what we were doing, why there was a Ouija Board in the house, and that we get it out of there that instant! I didn't understand why she was upset until the next day I asked her. She once had a really bad experience. So, I did my own research and found that Ouija Boards are used to communicate with spirits and demons. And that it doesn't matter if the intention is not to communicate....they know anyway :o

I always wondered if spirits actually move the Ouija board?  ???

Written By: warped on 11/14/13 at 4:24 pm

I hear what you are saying and most of the Christians I know have said the same thing to me.

Here's what I think: The Ouija board is a game made by Hasbro. It's just a piece of wood. You only believe that evil spirits control to move the board if you chose to believe so. I played it many times as a kid. It never did anything. Many of my friends played it. Never did anything for them either.  I feel it has as many demonic qualilties as Monopoly or scrabble...other board games.

Just my 2 cents.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/16/13 at 8:23 pm

So I looked around, and Smithsonian Magazine did a story on the origins of the Ouija board and its trajectory through 100+ years.

It was invented as a party game in the late 1800s with the expressed intent of making money off the 19th-century pop culture fad of spiritualism.  After the Civil War, spiritualism was compatible with the Christian dogma of its day -- after all, your dead relatives aren't Satan, are they?  So where do the spooky demons come into play?  The turning point in pop culture for the Ouija board was the release of The Exorcist in 1973, which is when mainstream culture went into a collective panic about demonic posession and stuff.

It turns out there are no spirits involved in the process, and there is no magic.  It "works" by the ideomotor effect.  Anyone who tells you you're in communication with anything other than yourself or your fellow wisecracking friends is lying.  Anyone who, after reading the story of its origins and researching the idiomotor effect, actually believes they're in communication with anything other than their own wisecracking friends is... lemme check the board.  D-E-L-U-D- and I swear it's not me doing this - the spirits that have posessed my fingers just really like strumming on the "E" and "D" keys tonight ;)

But enough of my snark:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Strange-and-Mysterious-History-of-the-Ouija-Board-229532101.html?c=y&story=fullstory

This is just a great read, and a great look into what pop culture was like 100, 70, and 40 years ago.

Written By: Inertia on 11/18/13 at 7:47 am

I've never played with a Ouija board. I see enough supernatural activity without using external measures to try to manipulate the situation though.

Check for new replies or respond here...