inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nostradamus: Prognosticator or Prevaricator?

Written By: loki 13 on 07/18/06 at 7:46 pm

I don't know what is all the hype about Nostradamus. Just once I would like to see a prediction
not a post-diction. When an event happens, people run to the writings of Nostradamus, find a
quatrain that is similar, then tell the world he predicted it.All of his quatrains are ambiguous but
people will still tell you he's right on. In one quatrain he mentions Hister, he's followers believe
he fortells Hitler. Then why didn't he say Hitler. Just once I want someone to read a quatrain,
say something will happen on such-n-such a date, Then have that event happen, then maybe I'll
believe. Until then,

Nostradamus...Prevaricator

Subject: Re: Nostradamus: Prognosticator or Prevaricator?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 3:37 pm

I don't know what is all the hype about Nostradamus. Just once I would like to see a prediction
not a post-diction. When an event happens, people run to the writings of Nostradamus, find a
quatrain that is similar, then tell the world he predicted it.All of his quatrains are ambiguous but
people will still tell you he's right on. In one quatrain he mentions Hister, he's followers believe
he fortells Hitler. Then why didn't he say Hitler. Just once I want someone to read a quatrain,
say something will happen on such-n-such a date, Then have that event happen, then maybe I'll
believe. Until then,

Nostradamus...Prevaricator

Hister is an ancient name for the Danube region.

As for Nostradamus predicting Sept. 11, check out this website.

http://www.nostradamus-repository.org/nycfaq.html

The thing is about someone "predicting" future events, if someone lists a whole bunch of strange things, people will see meaning in it-after the fact, of course. Look at the Bible-especially the Book of Revalations. Plus, there is the Bible Codes. I think if there was any validity to any of it, someone would say it BEFORE an event happens. William Miller once said that the world would end around 1844. People believed him and they gave away all their earthly possessions and donned white robes and climbed on rooftops and trees (so the assend to Heaven would be shorter).

Cat

Written By: chaka on 07/19/06 at 3:42 pm

Didn't he "predict" the world would come to an end in 1999?
well he was wrong. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 4:22 pm

Didn't he "predict" the world would come to an end in 1999?
well he was wrong. :P

What? The world DIDN'T end in 1999?

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/06 at 6:02 pm

The thing is about someone "predicting" future events, if someone lists a whole bunch of strange things, people will see meaning in it-after the fact, of course. Look at the Bible-especially the Book of Revalations. Plus, there is the Bible Codes.

There is strong evidence that The Book Of Revelations was nothing more than John writing coded
messages to an army already in place. 666 for instance, depending on how you decipher the code,
means Caesar Augustus or Caesar Nero. Armageddon is a place in ancient Jerusalem were the final
battle was to take place, between the new found Christans and the  Roman Empire. oddly enough,
it's the region they are fighting in now.

As for the Bible Codes, can anything be any more ridiculous. They tell a computer what they are
looking for and the computer finds words or phrases that match.

One thing people have to understand is, Human Nature is impossible to predict. Any event can
be affected by the slightest thing, a chaos theory so to speak. If one of those terrorist sprained
an ankle, had a car accident or simply over slept things may have been different. None of these
things happened and we all know the results but they could have and that's what is unpredictable.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/06 at 6:15 pm

There is strong evidence that The Book Of Revelations was nothing more than John writing coded
messages to an army already in place. 666 for instance, depending on how you decipher the code,
means Caesar Augustus or Caesar Nero. Armageddon is a place in ancient Jerusalem were the final
battle was to take place, between the new found Christans and the  Roman Empire. oddly enough,
it's the region they are fighting in now.

As for the Bible Codes, can anything be any more ridiculous. They tell a computer what they are
looking for and the computer finds words or phrases that match.

One thing people have to understand is, Human Nature is impossible to predict. Any event can
be affected by the slightest thing, a chaos theory so to speak. If one of those terrorist sprained
an ankle, had a car accident or simply over slept things may have been different. None of these
things happened and we all know the results but they could have and that's what is unpredictable.

I saw something that implyed that John who wrote Revalations may not have been the same John who wrote the other Gospels.

But, you are right. I don't believe the future is written in stone. There are some things that can be predicted (i.e. the weather-to some exent), global warming, etc. But when it comes to human nature, the only thing that can be predicted is that humans are unpredictable.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/19/06 at 7:54 pm

I watch many of the shows that deal with predicting the future. what I don't understand is how
these supposed learned individuals can actually believe in this nonsense? There are Professors, Rabbis,
and other members of the Clergy, all college educated, and they believe in prognostication. In all reality,
isn't fortune telling a form of witchcraft or occult belief? Just because it's the bible or Nostradamus doesn't
make it any less occult activity.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/06 at 1:00 pm

I watch many of the shows that deal with predicting the future. what I don't understand is how
these supposed learned individuals can actually believe in this nonsense? There are Professors, Rabbis,
and other members of the Clergy, all college educated, and they believe in prognostication. In all reality,
isn't fortune telling a form of witchcraft or occult belief? Just because it's the bible or Nostradamus doesn't
make it any less occult activity.

Well, it depends. If you read the Tarot Cards, tea leaves, or look into your crystal ball, then it is witchcraft. But if it comes from the Bible, then it is not.  ::)  Yes, I do read Tarot Cards. But one thing about them (at least the way I read them), it is not "You will meet a tall, handsome stranger...". It is more like, what happened in the past and what is happening in the present will have an influence on the future (of course that is true with anything). And when I read the cards for someone, I do make it clear that the future is not written in stone and there may be things that they should be aware of (like their attitude or outlook) so they can either be prepared or make changes.

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 07/25/06 at 10:36 am

Nostradamus only makes sense after the fact. It's kinda like how people have been looking at the book of Revelation and saying that based on the  signs, the Biblical Apocalypse is coming.. it's been happening since about 2 weeks after Jesus died. Same thing with Nostradamus. It only seems to apply after the event has happened.

I don't buy it.

Check for new replies or respond here...