inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tower Records

Written By: woops on 10/09/06 at 3:02 am

Just went to a Tower Records and discovered that they're having a "Going Out Of Business" sale and one of the employees told me that the store chain is now going out of business.

Atleast there's still Sam Goody's

Subject: Re: Tower Records

Written By: nally on 10/10/06 at 2:37 pm

I wonder if it's like that at all TR locations. :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/10/06 at 2:39 pm

Just went to a Tower Records and discovered that they're having a "Going Out Of Business" sale and one of the employees told me that the store chain is now going out of business.

I'm not surprised, as I always thought they were overpriced!

At least there's still Sam Goody's

I used to work at a Sam Goody back in the 90's, but I wonder how much longer they'll last as well... ???

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/06 at 4:33 pm

I wonder if this means the Tower Records website will cease to exist also?  That is where I sometimes go to get sound clips when I want to include a song sample in a post I make

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/10/06 at 11:17 pm

Yikes!  :o  That sucks if that's true.  It's bad enough that they no longer are one of the big 12" single retailers (not that any big chain really is anymore), but they had the largest selections of new releases and complilations here.  Guess I'll have to stick to GEMM and other stores in my travels.

Written By: Gis on 10/11/06 at 6:45 am

Wow I thought they had gone years ago, they've been closed down in the U.K for quite a few years now.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/06 at 7:47 am

All the Boston area ones are going, or gone

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/11/06 at 11:53 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa... WHAT!?

No! That's THE only record store within an hour of me... THE ONLY ONE!!! WHAT WILL I DO NOW!?!?!?!??  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Davester on 10/12/06 at 12:00 am

Aw damn...

It's true...

Tower Records Closing ~ October 9, 2006

:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/06 at 1:26 am

Wow I thought they had gone years ago, they've been closed down in the U.K for quite a few years now.
I have a feeling that Virgin brought Tower Records.

Written By: woops on 10/12/06 at 10:02 pm

The prices are going down... somewhat of a good thing though it'll be shut down by around December

Just bought "Teenage Kicks" 2 CD compilation CD for 30 bucks, which is about 5 bucks cheaper than the original price  8)

(Imports first since they're rare... other leftovers later...  :D )

Written By: Gis on 10/13/06 at 6:30 am

I have a feeling that Virgin brought Tower Records.
The huge store at Piccadilly Circus?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/06 at 11:43 am

The huge store at Piccadilly Circus?
The main three branches of Tower Records I knew in London are now all Virgin Megastores.

Written By: nally on 10/13/06 at 1:58 pm

Aw damn...

It's true...

Tower Records Closing ~ October 9, 2006

:(

bump, bump, bump...another one bites the dust. :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/13/06 at 9:36 pm

We don't have this store in our area...I've never heard of it.

Written By: nally on 10/14/06 at 12:24 am

We don't have this store in our area...I've never heard of it.

You've NEVER heard of Tower Records?? :o :o

I've been going to it all my life...even as a little kid in the 80's I have recollections of going there.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/14/06 at 1:24 pm

You've NEVER heard of Tower Records?? :o :o

I've been going to it all my life...even as a little kid in the 80's I have recollections of going there.

no, like I said...we don't have any around in our area...and I've always been from this area...although even on my travels out of town...I've never come across one.

Written By: nally on 10/14/06 at 8:50 pm

no, like I said...we don't have any around in our area...and I've always been from this area...although even on my travels out of town...I've never come across one.

that's amazing. :o

On a somewhat similar note, I've seen tv commercials for Sonic, a fast food joint, on television for the last 3 or 4 years, but there are none of those in my area.

Written By: woops on 10/14/06 at 10:55 pm

I understand that many people download music online, but Wal Mart...

That's a different store and they only carry albums from popular artists and mostly current  ::) :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/06 at 6:06 pm

Tower Records has been around for quite sometime in our area (SF Bay Area). I love going to the one in Concord. I've been going there for about 12 years. It's always been my favorite place to find hard to find classical, but I guess I won't be getting that anymore.  :( I went there on Saturday and the place was packed. They had 15% off on Rock and Roll CDs and 20% off R n'B.

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/06 at 7:16 pm

Tower Records doesn't exist in Canada.  I'd never have known about it had I not did an online search one day for sound clips.  Since then, I have seen Tower Records stores in street scenes in some movies and TV shows

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/26/06 at 5:51 pm

Update:  I went to Tower about two weeks ago and I asked the sales lady when they were planning on closing and she said probably within 6-8 weeks. I told her I was sad to see them go. She looked at me strange. I walked away.  :\'(  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/06 at 1:00 am

Update:  I went to Tower about two weeks ago and I asked the sales lady when they were planning on closing and she said probably within 6-8 weeks. I told her I was sad to see them go. She looked at me strange. I walked away.  :\'(  ;D
Did you ask if Tower Records are been taken over or completely shutting down?

Written By: woops on 10/27/06 at 9:26 pm

The sales lady from my local Tower told me it'll close in about a month and the prices go down every week, by 5s (25%, 30%,)...

Bought a 2 CD compilation of '90's hits (Greatest Hits of the '90s) and a punk music video compilation DVD.  8)

Written By: nally on 10/27/06 at 11:40 pm

I'm sad to see 'em go too. What more can i say?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/06 at 11:48 pm

The sales lady from my local Tower told me it'll close in about a month and the prices go down every week, by 5s (25%, 30%,)...

Bought a 2 CD compilation of '90's hits (Greatest Hits of the '90s) and a punk music video compilation DVD.  8)
If I could I would be round like a shot.

Written By: woops on 11/05/06 at 2:57 pm

Now 40 to 50% off and the store is half way empty.

It'll close in about 3 weeks, though I still found some good CDs in a  decent price  8) :D

Written By: La Roche on 11/05/06 at 3:13 pm

The main three branches of Tower Records I knew in London are now all Virgin Megastores.

Yup, there was a huge one, now it's owned by Virgin.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/06 at 2:16 am

Yup, there was a huge one, now it's owned by Virgin.
Piccadilly, Oxford Street and High Street Kensington, were there others?

Written By: La Roche on 11/06/06 at 5:15 am

Piccadilly, Oxford Street and High Street Kensington, were there others?

Not that I can remember.

As a young lad I can remember going to the one in Picadilly and being rather impressed with the sheer volume of music there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/06 at 3:06 pm

Not that I can remember.

As a young lad I can remember going to the one in Picadilly and being rather impressed with the sheer volume of music there.
It was and the now Virign Store is large, containing several floors, in fact I was lost in there a few times.

Written By: La Roche on 11/06/06 at 3:14 pm

It was and the now Virign Store is large, containing several floors, in fact I was lost in there a few times.

Searching for the hardcore drum 'n' bass section I'm sure Philip.  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/06/06 at 3:18 pm

I went to one Virgin megastore in Las Vegas, and still wasn't as thrilled with it as I have been with Tower. Tower just seemed endless to me. They really focused on the music, not just popular stuff. Amazon.com may just be my only choice for obscure stuff.

Written By: La Roche on 11/06/06 at 3:19 pm

I went to one Virgin megastore in Las Vegas, and still wasn't as thrilled with it as I have been with Tower. Tower just seemed endless to me. They really focused on the music, not just popular stuff. Amazon.com may just be my only choice for obscure stuff.

The Virgin in Times Square has a vast selection.

Written By: nally on 11/06/06 at 4:25 pm

I think there are a few Virgin megastores out here...I know there's one in Burbank.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/06/06 at 5:29 pm

I think there are a few Virgin megastores out here...I know there's one in Burbank.

Yeah, I think Virgin is in mostly major metropolitan areas. There's one in San Francisco, and I was steps away from it a few weeks ago, but I never went inside as we got too caught up in other shops.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/06/06 at 5:30 pm

The Virgin in Times Square has a vast selection.

Yeah, I'm sure they've got some good stuff. I'd probably say they're second to Tower. Or, Maybe each Megastore just has different selections.

Written By: woops on 11/13/06 at 11:10 pm

The sales lady said that it'll close down for good sometime in December, though halfway empty in mid November.

Bought another good compilation, though fortunately bought as many good imports sine they're rare and the prices are now 40/50 % off  8)

Good time to take advantage  :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/06 at 12:52 pm

I'd like to go there on my next pay period, but right now, I have no extra money to spend  :(

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/15/06 at 10:15 am

I want to go again before it closes, but now that Christmas is coming up, my parents probably won't let me spend any money!

Written By: La Roche on 11/15/06 at 2:49 pm

I want to go again before it closes, but now that Christmas is coming up, my parents probably won't let me spend any money!

Maybe a sneaky bus journey and a good look around?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/16/06 at 8:24 pm

Maybe a sneaky bus journey and a good look around?

XD I don't have time alone for that! Plus, I'll have no money D=.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/19/06 at 6:46 pm

Yeah, this is sad. :(

I first learned about it reading an issue of Rolling Stone magaine, where it basically detailed its history (the founder was a guy who started selling records out of his dad's drugstore in Sacramento) and how things like online sales and big box stores like Wal Mart have cut into their sales in recent years.

San Jose has two stores and I've been buying at both a bit lately. Even though there a couple independent used record stores and Goodwills that I go to alot, this really does seem like the end of an era. It also occured to me that this was the last place of any kind that had any new Cassettes. Yeah, it wasn't many, and mostly bargain stuff. I rarely bought 'em anymore, but it was just nice knowing they were still there in some form.

Because of that, 2007 seems like it might be the first "fully digital/post-analog" year.

Written By: nally on 11/24/06 at 12:04 am

I can't remember the last time I went to TR, but it seems I may never go there again, given that they're all closing. :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/24/06 at 12:16 am

Concord, Ca. has one on Willow Pass Rd. that is closing and selling everything 40-60% off

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/06 at 2:48 pm

The Internet may kill off bricks-and-mortar record stores altogether within the next five years.  There will always be a few here and there.  They'll serve the same purpose as baseball card stores.

I don't like it, but it's happening. 

Tower was one of the few retailers that carried classical, jazz, and international music (I mean, beyond Beethoven's greatest hits, Bobby McFerrin, and Bob Marley). 

Most of the music I've been interested in for the past decade has been mail order/Internet anyway.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/06 at 10:07 am

The Internet may kill off bricks-and-mortar record stores altogether within the next five years.   There will always be a few here and there.  They'll serve the same purpose as baseball card stores.

Tower was one of the few retailers that carried classical, jazz, and international music (I mean, beyond Beethoven's greatest hits, Bobby McFerrin, and Bob Marley). 

Most of the music I've been interested in for the past decade has been mail order/Internet anyway.

Yeah, it is really scary. D= I really like CD's! Not the downloads! But Tower never did carry any Brian Eno...  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 11/28/06 at 2:30 pm

Concord, Ca. has one on Willow Pass Rd. that is closing and selling everything 40-60% off

That's the one I've been going to since I was a kid.  Corner of Willow Pass and Diamond...

Got some of my first records there.  Cassettes, in my teens and CDs since then...

It is the end of an era.  I'll miss Tower...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/06 at 12:14 am

Yeah, it is really scary. D= I really like CD's! Not the downloads! But Tower never did carry any Brian Eno...  :-\\

Depends on the market the store was serving.  I bought plenty of Brian Eno at Tower in Boston. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/06 at 10:34 pm

I was in Cambridge today and found the Tower still open for its going-out-of-business sale.  Everything had been pretty well picked-over by that time.  I did manage to buy 1/2 price several CDs from the "contemporary composers" section.  All the big names, such John Cage, Philip Glass, Elliott Carter, and Harry Partch, but I managed to collect some lesser-known gems, Arthur Kreiger, Thomas DeLio, Robert Erickson, and Elizabeth Hoffman.

It was the symbolism of the act.  It brought to an official close "buying records in Harvard Square," a treasured pastime for me for over 20 years.  Ironically, the mainstay of my music-buying from the '80s is still there, Newbury Comics.  The thing is, my tastes have changed, popular tastes have changed, and Newbury Comics carries not much I'm in the market to buy. 

Harvard Square is in a dark age.  It went into a decade-long decline starting in the early '90s, but the proverbial "410" was 2004 when Wordsworth Books closed.
:\'(

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/06/06 at 6:11 am

The Internet may kill off bricks-and-mortar record stores altogether within the next five years.   There will always be a few here and there.  They'll serve the same purpose as baseball card stores.

For better or worse, I agree. Just here in San Jose, there used to be, like 10 Wherehouses (not sure if they're national or not). They all closed from, like 2001 to '04. Same with mall stores Sam Goody/Musicland. Their prices on most new stuff were never that good and the selection was average, so that didn't surprise me. Although it was still nice to have them around if you happened to be in the area and just wanted to check out some stuff, for instance. Also, they were good for buying tapes, which I still was doing in the late '90s and up until 2002 even.

But if one of the giants, like Tower, is going under too, that's probably not a good sign.

Do you think independent/used CD stores will survive? I wouldn't see why not, since they mostly deal in trade, which of course, is bound to carry stuff you won't easily find anywhere else (i.e. out of print records).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/06/06 at 2:33 pm

For better or worse, I agree. Just here in San Jose, there used to be, like 10 Wherehouses (not sure if they're national or not). They all closed from, like 2001 to '04. Same with mall stores Sam Goody/Musicland. Their prices on most new stuff were never that good and the selection was average, so that didn't surprise me. Although it was still nice to have them around if you happened to be in the area and just wanted to check out some stuff, for instance. Also, they were good for buying tapes, which I still was doing in the late '90s and up until 2002 even.

But if one of the giants, like Tower, is going under too, that's probably not a good sign.

Do you think independent/used CD stores will survive? I wouldn't see why not, since they mostly deal in trade, which of course, is bound to carry stuff you won't easily find anywhere else (i.e. out of print records).

We had a couple Wherehouses around here, the most recent closure was in Walnut Creek off N. California St. about 2 years ago. We also had one in Antioch that shut down ages ago (at least 1993). We also had one in Clayton, which shut down around 2000 or 2001.

Sam Goody/Musicland were mostly mall music stores. And, I completely agree with you on how I felt about their selection. It was so-so, but if you were hard up for something or just felt like browsing, they were still fun to check out. One that was at Sunvalley Mall also just shut down. It was called FYE. They had a better than average selection and a BIG DVD selection, but nevertheless, they shut down at least in the last year.

Written By: woops on 12/10/06 at 3:57 am

Now my local Tower is nearly empty and probably will be closed within the next week or two.

I've found over a dozen good albums in the past few months.  8)

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 01/16/07 at 3:34 pm

The store here in Denver in the Cherry Creek shopping district closed down completely right after the holidays.  Already, at this moment the building it was in is being demolished. 

Im really sad to see the entire chain go out of business.  They had the best selection of media anywhere.  If no one else had it THEY DID.  At least I got some CDs and DVDs at half price before they closed. It was one of my favorite places to kill time if I needed to.

Written By: woops on 01/17/07 at 4:31 am

It's been closed for about a month now...

"It's Not Love"  music video from Dokken features  the now defunct store (the yellow sign with red letters)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/17/07 at 10:19 am

We had a couple Wherehouses around here, the most recent closure was in Walnut Creek off N. California St. about 2 years ago. We also had one in Antioch that shut down ages ago (at least 1993). We also had one in Clayton, which shut down around 2000 or 2001.

The one in Livermore closed a while ago, I remember getting Ringo Starr's latest CD at the time (Ringorama) for one dollar during clearance. I think there's still a Wherehouse in Modesto and Concord?

They've got a great selection, but they're pretty expensive. Our local FYE sucks, though. It's only got really popular things, or things that nobody would ever buy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/07 at 5:14 pm

The store here in Denver in the Cherry Creek shopping district closed down completely right after the holidays.  Already, at this moment the building it was in is being demolished. 

Im really sad to see the entire chain go out of business.  They had the best selection of media anywhere.  If no one else had it THEY DID.  At least I got some CDs and DVDs at half price before they closed. It was one of my favorite places to kill time if I needed to.

Tower and HMV were the only chain record stores I know of that had anything approaching a decent classical and jazz selection.  I don't know if HMV is still around.  The one in Harvard Square closed a couple of years ago.  It was a stone's throw away from the Tower that closed in November.  Now the biggest record store in Harvard Square is Newbury Comics, which is great for pop music and nothing else!
::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/17/07 at 6:02 pm

The one in Livermore closed a while ago, I remember getting Ringo Starr's latest CD at the time (Ringorama) for one dollar during clearance. I think there's still a Wherehouse in Modesto and Concord?

They've got a great selection, but they're pretty expensive. Our local FYE sucks, though. It's only got really popular things, or things that nobody would ever buy.

Concord Wherehouse shut down around 2000 or earlier. Believe it or not, we had one in Antioch in the late '80s and part of the '90s. I remember going there after my 10th birthday party and using the money I got to buy my some of the first CDs I ever owned (I got the "Beauty and the Beast" soundtrack and I think a Mariah Carey CD). Wow, I remember even on my 10th birthday morning, I got the KrisKross CD, lol

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/17/07 at 6:15 pm

Concord Wherehouse shut down around 2000 or earlier. Believe it or not, we had one in Antioch in the late '80s and part of the '90s. I remember going there after my 10th birthday party and using the money I got to buy my some of the first CDs I ever owned (I got the "Beauty and the Beast" soundtrack and I think a Mariah Carey CD). Wow, I remember even on my 10th birthday morning, I got the KrisKross CD, lol

Whoa! I remember going to the Concord one within the last three years...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/17/07 at 6:18 pm

Tower and HMV were the only chain record stores I know of that had anything approaching a decent classical and jazz selection.  I don't know if HMV is still around.  The one in Harvard Square closed a couple of years ago.  It was a stone's throw away from the Tower that closed in November.  Now the biggest record store in Harvard Square is Newbury Comics, which is great for pop music and nothing else!
::)

Tower had an AWESOME Classical selection. I use to love to go into that special room they set aside and just enjoy listening to what was playing. I have heard a rumor that they are actually going to move a popular record store here called Rasputin's to the old Tower Record's building, so maybe it will be designed in a similar manner and I can still use it as a hangout, lol. Rasputin's needed a bigger space anyway. It always looks too crowded inside.  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/17/07 at 7:00 pm

Tower had an AWESOME Classical selection. I use to love to go into that special room they set aside and just enjoy listening to what was playing. I have heard a rumor that they are actually going to move a popular record store here called Rasputin's to the old Tower Record's building, so maybe it will be designed in a similar manner and I can still use it as a hangout, lol. Rasputin's needed a bigger space anyway. It always looks too crowded inside.  ;D

Rasputin's has SOOOOOOO much music.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/07 at 5:20 pm

Rasputin's?  That must be a California thing.  Never heard of it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/23/07 at 8:12 am

Rasputin's is great for old-school music collectors like me - and I'm guessing you, too. In fact, it's about the only place I go now for music or movies.

Yeah, on Wikipedia, it says they bought the lease of 4 Tower Records (with the Concord one moving into the old Tower building - that's probably the one nearest to you). There's 7 existing stores, making it a total of 10 once they're all built. I go to the Campbell one near me all the time. Probably every week (one of my friends even works there). I've also been to most of the others - in fact it's my mission at some point, to go to every Rasputins in existance, lol.

The one in Fremont near the NewPark Mall is my fave - it's huge and there's one full wall devoted to nothing but cheapie audio tapes! Anytime I go up there, I'm in there for around 3 hours. I'd liken it to going on a successful scavenger hunt (i.e. I get exhausted and a little beaten up along the way, but with the new treasure and knowledge I picked up along the way, it makes it feel all worth it and I can't wait to tell the guys about it. And I'm already making plans to go back and do it all again next time, but for the meantime, all I want to do is go home and rest). 8)

Really though, the lame comparisons aside, lol -- if anyone ever wanted go back in time to an actual 1980s music store (when there were aisles with huge selections of records and tapes), that's probably about as close as you're gonna get! ;)

P.S. I was worried about their future once Tower was going under. But some guy said (and I agree) just the fact that an independent/smaller time chain could take over a huge name one, is saying something about its staying power.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/23/07 at 6:20 pm

Last time I went, they had a David Bowie vinyl for four dollars!

Written By: Davester on 02/28/07 at 5:42 am

Rasputin's?  That must be a California thing.  Never heard of it.

Rasputin's would be a worthy replacement for Tower, 'round here, leastways...

It's a freaking candy store, man..!  Rasputin's might have started in Berkeley, not sure, but they're branching out nicely...

They're also expensive, just like Tower.  But, eh...  Downloading is dandy and all, but I still revel in the feeling of walking into a record store, call me sentimental...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/rasputin.jpg  http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/rasputin1.jpg

Written By: nally on 02/28/07 at 4:06 pm

Yesterday I happened to pass by the one in Northridge, and it appears to be still around. The Levitz store in that shopping center is what's gone now.

So in southern California there's still at least one TR store.

Written By: nally on 09/18/07 at 1:53 pm

Yesterday I happened to pass by the one in Northridge, and it appears to be still around. The Levitz store in that shopping center is what's gone now.

So in southern California there's still at least one TR store.

...and I passed by it yesterday, and it seems to be gone now. :-\\

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/19/07 at 12:18 am

Rasputin's would be a worthy replacement for Tower, 'round here, leastways...

It's a freaking candy store, man..!  Rasputin's might have started in Berkeley, not sure, but they're branching out nicely...

They're also expensive, just like Tower.  But, eh...  Downloading is dandy and all, but I still revel in the feeling of walking into a record store, call me sentimental...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/rasputin.jpg  http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/rasputin1.jpg

I love Rasputin's, but they're all a 45 minute + drive away from me!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/19/07 at 11:36 am

Rasputin's is great for old-school music collectors like me - and I'm guessing you, too. In fact, it's about the only place I go now for music or movies.

Yeah, on Wikipedia, it says they bought the lease of 4 Tower Records (with the Concord one moving into the old Tower building - that's probably the one nearest to you). There's 7 existing stores, making it a total of 10 once they're all built. I go to the Campbell one near me all the time. Probably every week (one of my friends even works there). I've also been to most of the others - in fact it's my mission at some point, to go to every Rasputins in existance, lol.

The one in Fremont near the NewPark Mall is my fave - it's huge and there's one full wall devoted to nothing but cheapie audio tapes! Anytime I go up there, I'm in there for around 3 hours. I'd liken it to going on a successful scavenger hunt (i.e. I get exhausted and a little beaten up along the way, but with the new treasure and knowledge I picked up along the way, it makes it feel all worth it and I can't wait to tell the guys about it. And I'm already making plans to go back and do it all again next time, but for the meantime, all I want to do is go home and rest). 8)

Really though, the lame comparisons aside, lol -- if anyone ever wanted go back in time to an actual 1980s music store (when there were aisles with huge selections of records and tapes), that's probably about as close as you're gonna get! ;)

P.S. I was worried about their future once Tower was going under. But some guy said (and I agree) just the fact that an independent/smaller time chain could take over a huge name one, is saying something about its staying power.

Yes, Rasputins has now officially taken over the former Tower Records in Concord. I've been in it about 3-4 times. And, as a matter a fact, it does remind me very much of a record store from the '80s, especially since it actually has a decent amount of LPs in one aisle and cassette tapes in another. I think one section of the store is actually turning into a small cafe, at least that's a rumor I've heard. I actually remember that portion of the store being a book store before Tower took it over some years back and expanded.

Anyway, one thing I can't seem to find is an aisle devoted to classical. I haven't had a chance to ask yet, but I'll probably ask next time I go in. You can't have a music store without classical, lol.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/19/07 at 7:01 pm

Yes, Rasputins has now officially taken over the former Tower Records in Concord. I've been in it about 3-4 times. And, as a matter a fact, it does remind me very much of a record store from the '80s, especially since it actually has a decent amount of LPs in one aisle and cassette tapes in another. I think one section of the store is actually turning into a small cafe, at least that's a rumor I've heard. I actually remember that portion of the store being a book store before Tower took it over some years back and expanded.

Anyway, one thing I can't seem to find is an aisle devoted to classical. I haven't had a chance to ask yet, but I'll probably ask next time I go in. You can't have a music store without classical, lol.

Neither Tower nor Rasputin's seems to have had any Brian Eno, which is very strange! I mean, even Borders has his albums, and he's fairly popular...

... Yet, they have a whole section for indie music alone...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/07 at 3:05 am

Neither Tower nor Rasputin's seems to have had any Brian Eno, which is very strange! I mean, even Borders has his albums, and he's fairly popular...

... Yet, they have a whole section for indie music alone...

Yeah, I have noticed some strange stuff about that at some music stores. Like, Al Stewart is a fairly popular artist, but for some reason they would never carry his newest stuff at Tower whenever I'd take a look. So, actually that gives me an idea to check Raspies to see if they have it now. I am not sure if it has to do with demand or what, but I do find it strange when they don't carry certain artist's work who are somewhat popular and other places do.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/20/07 at 3:26 am

I wish we had a Rasputin's out here.  :(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/07 at 3:38 am

^ You're in Vegas, right? I think they have a nice Virgin Megastore there. They're suppose to have some good selections. I think I visited one at Caesars several years ago.

Maybe Rasputins will expand further that way  8)

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/20/07 at 8:04 pm

^ You're in Vegas, right? I think they have a nice Virgin Megastore there. They're suppose to have some good selections. I think I visited one at Caesars several years ago.

Maybe Rasputins will expand further that way  8)

I believe the Virgin Megastore at the Forum Shops closed not too long ago...then again it's been a while since I last went to Caesars so I can't really confirm that.  :( Whenever I have time I like to visit the Zia Record Exchange on Eastern-they have a terrific selection of new and used music and DVD's. I live way on the other side of town but it's worth the drive.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/07 at 1:08 am

I still call Virgin Megastore the name Tower Records.

Written By: nally on 09/24/07 at 12:48 pm

...and I passed by it yesterday, and it seems to be gone now. :-\\

Indeed, it's a gonner. (Or is it goner?) Some bigger store is gonna go in its place.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/24/07 at 2:40 pm

I believe the Virgin Megastore at the Forum Shops closed not too long ago...then again it's been a while since I last went to Caesars so I can't really confirm that.  :( Whenever I have time I like to visit the Zia Record Exchange on Eastern-they have a terrific selection of new and used music and DVD's. I live way on the other side of town but it's worth the drive.  :)

Ahh, I believe that may be the case. I was in Vegas in 2005, and now if I recall, I don't remember seeing it there (next to the Cheesecake Factory, I believe). Ah well!

Written By: scoobydude123 on 09/26/07 at 9:57 am

i actually miss Tower Records..i thought they had a better selection than HMV. the prices were kinda crap though.  anyone go to the Toronto one on Queen st?

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/26/07 at 6:36 pm

The prices weren't crap when they closed. :P I got some CDs for, like, five bucks each!

I miss Tower, too, and my BO reminds me of the smell there.

Written By: Marian on 10/22/07 at 3:25 pm

I miss it too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/15 at 9:50 am

Tower Records are still trading in Japan.

Written By: whistledog on 04/17/15 at 6:21 pm

CD stores seem like they are slowly fading away. 
In Canada, we still have HMV and they do quite well

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/15 at 9:40 pm

HMV is still surviving in the UK.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/15 at 2:56 am

I had only been in one once (since, like Quirk) they never had any anywhere near where we lived. My friend took me to one in 1987 when I went to visit her in Washington, DC.  It was smallish, put seemed to have alot of interesting things.  I bought alot of cassettes (!!) for a pretty good price.  ;D

We have a really good independant record store here in Pittsburgh called Jerry's Records.  Apparently alot of celebrities go there when they are in town.  He has so many records that they did a hoarder's show on his store (which apparently, he lived in it's warehouse.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09w9zrW3-0

Written By: Howard on 04/18/15 at 7:36 am

Where I live one place that sold everything from CDs, DVDs, vintage cassette tapes, vinyls and 45's, closed shop after 25 years in the neighborhood.

Check for new replies or respond here...