inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Catskill Memories

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/19/06 at 11:36 pm

Have any of you vacationed in the Catskill Mountains in New York?  Do you have any fond memories of any of the resorts that you stayed at? Possibly pictures of any of them?  A lot of the defunct/abandoned resorts in the Catskills have been bought and either remodeled...or demolished in order to build bigger and better attractions.  Everytime I think of a Catskill resort...I think of the movie, Dirty Dancing.  I would like to venture there to take a peek at some of the abandoned resorts...before they get demolished.

Subject: Re: Catskill Memories

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/21/06 at 11:34 am

Never been to the Catskills but I just thought you'd like to know that the hotel used in Dirty Dancing is actually near Roanoke Virginia, here's the link...

http://www.mountainlakehotel.com/

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/06 at 8:10 pm

Never been to the Catskills but I just thought you'd like to know that the hotel used in Dirty Dancing is actually near Roanoke Virginia, here's the link...

http://www.mountainlakehotel.com/

Yes...I actually discovered this years ago when I was looking at info about that movie....I would love to stay there sometime..it would be very cool...it's pretty expensive though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/06 at 3:53 pm

I have none personally, but some of you might find this interesting:
http://www.opacity.us/site4_the_pines_hotel.htm

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/26/06 at 10:18 pm

yes, Maxwell, that is actually my very favorite of the abandoned resorts...I would LOVE to explore that place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/06 at 12:33 pm

I never stayed at any of the resorts but I used to live in the area (my mother still lives there). I have been hiking a few times not to mention taking drives around the area.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/06 at 5:23 pm

yes, Maxwell, that is actually my very favorite of the abandoned resorts...I would LOVE to explore that place.

Unfortunately vandals trashed some areas of The Pines.  That's the difference between "urban explorers" and "vandals."  They both trespass, but urban explorers are there to document the sites and share a credo of leaving property as they found it.  The punk kids like to smash stuff and smear graffiti. 

>:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 8:39 pm

Unfortunately vandals trashed some areas of The Pines.  That's the difference between "urban explorers" and "vandals."  They both trespass, but urban explorers are there to document the sites and share a credo of leaving property as they found it.  The punk kids like to smash stuff and smear graffiti. 

>:(

that pisses me off when people do things like that.  It's those sort of people that make it bad for the others who are innocently exploring the place...because of those vandals, it makes it nearly impossible for urban explorers to get into places anymore...they ruin it for us good guys. >:(

Written By: KKay on 11/27/06 at 9:41 pm

I spent most of my youth in the Catskills; we were there for the summer every year till I was about 11.

my favorite things were  the Catskill Game Farm, The Mystery spot, and the Catskill Game farm.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 9:59 pm

I spent most of my youth in the Catskills; we were there for the summer every year till I was about 11.

my favorite things were  the Catskill Game Farm, The Mystery spot, and the Catskill Game farm.

that sounds like so much fun. Was it anything like how it was depicted on "Dirty Dancing"....with the vacation resorts that had dance lessons, game nights, talent shows, little cabins, etc?

Written By: KKay on 11/28/06 at 9:18 pm

that sounds like so much fun. Was it anything like how it was depicted on "Dirty Dancing"....with the vacation resorts that had dance lessons, game nights, talent shows, little cabins, etc?

actually, we used to go up there by boat and live on that. up the hudson. then in the rivers and to lake champlain. a few times we had a cabin somewhere.  I still go to these places.  i love it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/06 at 9:19 pm

actually, we used to go up there by boat and live on that. up the hudson. then in the rivers and to lake champlain. a few times we had a cabin somewhere.   I still go to these places.  i love it.

that sounds like so much fun...nice and relaxing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/06 at 11:27 am

Growing up in that area, I had NEVER been to the Catskill Game Farm. We were supposed to go several times but it never happened. I feel so deprived.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/08 at 6:23 pm

I'm reviving this thread since we have lots of newer members. Have any of you any fond Catskill Mountain memories? This afternoon I was looking at a few sites for The Pines, it's so sad how they just let it go like that. I discovered that there are quite a few abandoned resorts in the catskills. I really would like to go there maybe at the end of summer/beginning of fall and do some driving/exploring. Just out of curiosity...approximately how far would you say that it is from, like Pittsburgh, Pa.??

Written By: KKay on 04/30/08 at 7:01 am

Growing up in that area, I had NEVER been to the Catskill Game Farm. We were supposed to go several times but it never happened. I feel so deprived.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Noooooo!!!!!

Oh man.  It was cool in the 70s.  I'm sure it's still there. Don't I see billboards for it when I drive upstate?

I loved that place.  Except that time when i was little and i filled my pockets with goat feed and was accosted by the animals in the petting zoo and cried.
stupid kid.
lol.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/26/08 at 12:44 pm

opacity is a very cool site. My son ts into the whole urban exploration thing.

When I was a kid my Dad worked in some of the Borscht belt hotels, The Browns, Pines, Concord, Grossingers ect.. I think the only one still open is the Nevele, in Ellenville.

Check for new replies or respond here...