inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A&P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/07 at 11:09 pm

The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company

A&P supermarkets. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Atlantic_and_Pacific_Tea_Company

Now, you might say, "Whoah, Max, they're still in business." 
Well, yes and no. 
They began to "consolidate" in the mid 1970s.  In other words, they started closing stores because business was bad.  The company is still around, but it's not the continent-wide, ubiquitous grocery chain it was 40 years ago. 

Even though the company's success was past its crest in the '70s, the A&P was our family supermarket.  The Wiki entry was a blast from the past.  I grew up with their housebrands: Eight O'Clock Coffee, Ann Page, Jane Parker, P&Q (Price & Quality).  Jane Parker Pumpernickel, dynamite! Right?  Probably not.  What did I know?  I was five. 
;D

Even if you have an A&P in your area, you won't find those house brands anymore.

That was our local supermarket.  Occasionally, we'd go to the P&C or the IGA, but the A&P was the old standby for everything except those miserable healthfoods my mother was into.  Today "healthfoods" are mainstream, but in 1975 if you asked the A&P manager about tofu, he'd think you meant some kind of martial art!
The A&P seemed huge compared to the mom 'n pops with its shiny waxed floors, long aisles, and bright fluorescents lights.
When we moved out of that sleepy NH town to the Boston 'burbs inthe early '80s, the size of the supermarket overwhelmed me.  That DeMoulas Market Basket was more than double the size of our A&P.  I hated it the first time we went there.  Funny thing is, a year later I got a job as a bagger at that Market Basket and worked for them until I graduated high school!  Uh, I spent most of the time hating the place while I worked there, but it kept me in doughnuts.  Last time I held a steady job for many years!  Anyway...
In the late '80s, I was back in Milford visiting relatives.  I went into that old A&P and felt claustrophobic.  It seemed really cramped and run down.  It was run down indeed.  It was within months of closing. 
Nashua, 10 miles down the road, was a boomtown in the late '80s.  Star Market, Market Basket, Shaw's, and Stop 'n' Shop were all in the vicinity.  Bigger, cheaper, slicker, up with the times, they outclassed dear old A&P in every way and sent the old girl packing.
The A&P west in Peterborough was open at least until 2001.  I used to pass by it going to Rte. 101 via 202.  It's not there anymore.
According to Wiki, there are still A&P's in Connecticut.  How many and where I know not.  I think A&P's are mostly down South nowadays.

What really no longer exists is the cache the name A&P carried.  It used to be synonymous with "supermarket," the way "McDonald's" is synonymous with "fast food joint." 
For instance, when John Updike wrote his little summer vignette about a supermarked incident, he called the short story "A&P" (1961).

Thought it was a hoot when I was 13.  When I worked in the supermarket, I identified with it in a horrid fashion, to wit:
"Then everybody's luck begins to run out. Lengel comes in from haggling with a truck full of cabbages on the lot and is about to scuttle into that door marked MANAGER behind which he hides all day when the girls touch his eye. Lengel's pretty dreary, teaches Sunday school and the rest, but he doesn't miss that much. He comes over and says, "Girls, this isn't the beach."
Now with 20 years hindsight, it's an even bigger hoot!
http://www.tiger-town.com/whatnot/updike/
Worth your read, but some PC types might find it sexist, like he describes the young woman's breasts as "the two smoothest scoops of vanilla I had ever known..."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Subject: Re: A&P

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/07 at 12:47 am

There's a long running joke in Canada about A&P.  It's the two step process that Canadians use when they take a leak ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/15/07 at 2:18 am

There used to be an A&P about half a mile from my old house. It was there for over 15 years I think, but it became a Piggly Wiggly in 2002.

Written By: star80 on 02/06/07 at 7:22 pm

There was an A & P Grocery here in the south (KY) where I got my foot caught under the electronic door.  I think my mom was more upset than I was, though.  I believe that store has been closed at least 25 years, though.  It is now a Liquor Outlet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/07 at 1:56 pm

We used to call it "Art & Pat" after my sister and her first boyfriend.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 02/12/07 at 3:01 pm

I remember A&P.  My, it has been a long time.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/12/07 at 4:05 pm

I vaguely remember hearing about this store...but I don't remember any in our area.

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/07 at 5:00 pm

A&P is still popular in Canada.  There's probably atleast 1 in every city.  There are 2 of them here

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/07 at 10:41 am

The company formerly operated 237 stores through its A&P Canada unit in the Canadian province of Ontario. On August 15, 2005, the company finalized its sale of the Canadian operations to Metro Inc., a grocery retailer based in Montreal, for CAN$1.7 billion in cash and shares of Metro. It has also announced plans to divest itself of its Midwest operations.

From Wikipedia.

I work at Food Basics, which is one of the grocery stories chains, operated by A&P.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/13/07 at 3:46 pm

A&P is still going strong in New Jersey, where it's now headquartered. There's one in Montclair about 5 minutes from my house, another one in East Orange 10 minutes south, another in Nutley 15 minutes east, and a fourth in South Orange, 20 minutes south, and even a fifth in West Orange, if I'm not off the mark. Ours was recently renovated from its last major renovation in the late '80s; the whole place still had this VERY late '80s look, with black and white tile everywhere and clear plasticine salad bars, until very recently. There are also a number of Food Basics around.

Stop N' Shop is only a recent player around here; it started to move in around 2000 by buying out the old Grand Unions (very run down by the late '90s, though I grew up with ours) and reserving places in new shopping centers along the quickly developing Route 3 strip. There are also Pathmarks, Whole Foods Markets, Kings, and smaller places like C-Town around.

Written By: 1993 on 05/27/07 at 11:35 am

A&P is still going strong in New Jersey, where it's now headquartered. There's one in Montclair about 5 minutes from my house, another one in East Orange 10 minutes south, another in Nutley 15 minutes east, and a fourth in South Orange, 20 minutes south, and even a fifth in West Orange, if I'm not off the mark. Ours was recently renovated from its last major renovation in the late '80s; the whole place still had this VERY late '80s look, with black and white tile everywhere and clear plasticine salad bars, until very recently. There are also a number of Food Basics around.

Stop N' Shop is only a recent player around here; it started to move in around 2000 by buying out the old Grand Unions (very run down by the late '90s, though I grew up with ours) and reserving places in new shopping centers along the quickly developing Route 3 strip. There are also Pathmarks, Whole Foods Markets, Kings, and smaller places like C-Town around.

Yep, A&P's are still all over the place. But I've been so married to Shop Rite that I don't think I've set foot in an A&P for at least 3 years. I remember there was a huge, run down Grand Union on Route 4 near Paterson that was decrepit and expensive, easily the most expensive of all the food stores.

Trader Joe's have been popping up all over the place as well.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/27/07 at 5:50 pm

A&P was a staple here in Chicagoland when I was growing up.  As a tyke, we had it really good in terms of grocery chain competition - I recall going to Kroger, Hi/Lo, National, A&P and Jewel, among others.  I think it started in the early 70's but one by one these store chains started closing or moving out.  It was getting more and more difficult to get to a major  supermarket in the neighborhood.  Of course, the new stores that were built were a lot bigger than those that closed (and naturally more spread out), but we didn't care - we wanted our familiar old stores.

A&P was the last of the group above to close (excluding Jewel, which remained open altogether).  It seemed this happened approximately 1981.  Around that time or shortly thereafter, Dominick's supermarkets flooded Chicagoland to give some competition to Jewel.  But the playing field has really never been the same.

BTW Jewel is currently a branch of Albertson's.  It seems store chain independence is not very common these days.

Written By: Lindee on 06/12/07 at 10:03 am

I also remember A&P stores. The one by my childhhood home started as an A&P then turned into an A Mart, a Shop Rite and finally a fabric store. We also had Jewel food stores in the 70s. They closed a few years later and then came back as Jewel-Osco in the 90s and closed again.

Anybody remember Red Owl food stores?

Written By: tv on 08/31/10 at 7:38 pm

I was looking at info on the internet(on Wikipedia)wondering about A&P's downfall. We had one about 10 minutes from my house till the mid 2000's than it turned into "Food Basics" for a couple years now the former A&P store is split with a "Dollar Tree" store and "The Farmers Market".

A&P went downhill sometime in the early 90's or mid 90's and never recovered meanwhile "Shop Rite" steamrolls the competition. The "Shop Rite" by my place of work where I work on Monday's and Tuesday's is nicely sized and not crowded. The place is only a couple of years old. "Stop & Shop" is ok I guess(at least it looks nicer on the outisde and looks more modern on the inside than my local former A & P did.)

I remember "Food Town" too that supermarket was nice, it was not a dump at all from what I remember! Some of you may not remember "Food Town" if you don't live in NY or NJ.

BTW, One of the "Stop & Shop's" in my state(NJ) is in the same mall where the former "Food Town" used to be that I used to go to with my Mom when I was younger!

Written By: ADH13 on 08/31/10 at 7:42 pm

We had A&P when I lived in New York, but we didn't really shop there, we usually went to Pathmark.

I remember their jingle though, "At the A&P, we watch our P's & Q's!" :D

Written By: tv on 09/01/10 at 10:11 am

We had A&P when I lived in New York, but we didn't really shop there, we usually went to Pathmark.

I remember their jingle though, "At the A&P, we watch our P's & Q's!" :D
Yeah I remembered the jingle, we watch our P's and Q's.  Yeah I used to go to Pathmark with my Mom too when I was younger.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/10 at 6:59 pm

1 month and 12 days counting http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:liuU4pXDoQw3BM:http://www.printablegrocerycoupons.net/image/pathmark.gif&t=1 will be no longer. :(

Written By: tv on 09/01/10 at 7:26 pm

1 month and 12 days counting http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:liuU4pXDoQw3BM:http://www.printablegrocerycoupons.net/image/pathmark.gif&t=1 will be no longer. :(
Whats happened A&P decided to kill the Pathmark brand?

Written By: ADH13 on 09/01/10 at 7:29 pm

All of them, or just the one where you work?? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/01/10 at 7:39 pm

All of them, or just the one where you work?? ???

between 20-25 of them will be closing,ours will close October 13th.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/10 at 7:40 pm

Whats happened A&P decided to kill the Pathmark brand?

that f u c k h e a d lanlord wants to triple the rent! They don't seem that it's worth it.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/01/10 at 7:43 pm

that f u c k h e a d lanlord wants to triple the rent! They don't seem that it's worth it.

Fudgehead, Howard.  Or F*ckhead.  Or Meathead.  Or Moron.

(only because I don't want you to get banned again)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/10 at 10:47 pm

I thought this thread was long dead!
8)

The nearest A&P to me, I think, is about 50 miles northeast of here in the Peterborough, NH, area.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/10 at 6:58 am

Fudgehead, Howard.  Or F*ckhead.  Or Meathead.  Or Moron.

(only because I don't want you to get banned again)

Sorry,I'm just as frustrated as everyone else is.

Written By: tv on 09/02/10 at 9:35 am

Sorry,I'm just as frustrated as everyone else is.
I;m sorry your going to be part of the unemployed Howard. I know you live in NY and we have a half a dozen Pathmark Stores in NJ closing too I think now.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/10 at 6:41 pm

I;m sorry your going to be part of the unemployed Howard. I know you live in NY and we have a half a dozen Pathmark Stores in NJ closing too I think now.

Tv,My job coach is helping me with other Pathmarks or Waldbaums and at the end of the month and some HR Rep from the UFCW Local 1500 will come and talk to some of the workers.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 11:49 pm

Tv,My job coach is helping me with other Pathmarks or Waldbaums and at the end of the month and some HR Rep from the UFCW Local 1500 will come and talk to some of the workers.

It's great your union can help you out.
:-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/03/10 at 7:04 am

It's great your union can help you out.
:-\\

Why? You don't have a Union?  ???

Written By: tv on 09/03/10 at 5:48 pm

I'm not big on Unions Howard but I agree with Max that its great your Union is helping you out!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/10 at 1:08 am

I'm big on unions.  I'm not big on at-will contracts, which only benefit the employer.  That's what happens when you organize supermarket workers.  The companies give up virtually nothing AND you have to pay dues.  When the mighty sh*t hammer comes down, they can't help you.  It's not like the old GM strikes where we could grind America's industrial underpinnings to a halt with UNIONS!  Those days are over.  IF the proletariat caves in to every whim of the bourgeoisie, eventually the bourgeoisie will destroy itself.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/10 at 6:07 am

Bless Unions!  They may not be perfect but they are a hell of a lot better than not.  I have been working union for the past 17 years and I have a great wage structure, health, dental, mutual funds, and a pension,  YES A PENSION! I have seen both sides of the world of employment.  Small business(under 25 employees) tend to treat their employees well because they tend to be close knit.  After that it is a crap shoot, and the employee is the crap that is getting shot.  Love them or hate them, the employee is 99.9% of the time better of with them. Consider the benefits of the unionized members of the American Congress, the strongest union of "workers" in the world, it works for them.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/10 at 7:08 am

My job coach suggested only a few Pathmarks and I think I might take one of them when the bumps happen during the end of the month.A few in Queens and a few on Long Island.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/10 at 11:03 pm

Bless Unions!  They may not be perfect but they are a hell of a lot better than not.  I have been working union for the past 17 years and I have a great wage structure, health, dental, mutual funds, and a pension,   YES A PENSION! I have seen both sides of the world of employment.  Small business(under 25 employees) tend to treat their employees well because they tend to be close knit.  After that it is a crap shoot, and the employee is the crap that is getting shot.  Love them or hate them, the employee is 99.9% of the time better of with them. Consider the benefits of the unionized members of the American Congress, the strongest union of "workers" in the world, it works for them.

I am staunchly pro-union.  Sometimes unions can be shills for management as I believe it to be at Stop & Shop.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/04/10 at 11:18 pm

I am staunchly pro-union.  Sometimes unions can be shills for management as I believe it to be at Stop & Shop.

I always thought one great feature of a union was that once you join, if you are laid off or let go, you can basically get in line and openings are first come first serve.  I think makes much more sense, and is more fair than having to go through all the application/interview/second interview crap...  but it seems that doesn't happen much anymore.

I know people who are members of unions and they now seem to have to go through the same process to get hired as the rest of us do.  It may only be certain trades that do/did that, but I worked as a dispatcher in a union plumbing company back in the late 80's, and I can remember when we needed more people, we'd just send a request to the union rep for 3 journeymen, and they'd send us whoever was next in line.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/10 at 7:02 am

http://stmaryskids.kintera.org/AccountTempFiles//account14340/images/newfcw.jpg

Please support us!

Written By: tv on 09/05/10 at 8:50 am

I didn't even know "Stop & Shop" workers were unionized.

Written By: tv on 09/05/10 at 8:56 am

I always thought one great feature of a union was that once you join, if you are laid off or let go, you can basically get in line and openings are first come first serve.   I think makes much more sense, and is more fair than having to go through all the application/interview/second interview crap...  but it seems that doesn't happen much anymore.

I know people who are members of unions and they now seem to have to go through the same process to get hired as the rest of us do.  It may only be certain trades that do/did that, but I worked as a dispatcher in a union plumbing company back in the late 80's, and I can remember when we needed more people, we'd just send a request to the union rep for 3 journeymen, and they'd send us whoever was next in line.
Well I work for a security company and worked a couple temporary sites before my permenant one in mid 2007 where I am at now. My security company  just sends you where they needs you. I am not in a union though. I hope to never be a "floater" though. A "floater" is somebody who doesn't have set days and is on call just about everyday and works various sites like if somebody is on vacation for a week a "floater" takes their spot for a week.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/10 at 6:52 pm

the parking lot over at Stop And Shop,that's huge and the carts are everywhere. :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 12:23 am

They are in Massachusetts, not sure about other states. 

Written By: Howard on 09/07/10 at 6:56 am

1 month and 6 days left BUT they could delay it,you never know.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/10 at 10:30 pm

1 month and 6 days left BUT they could delay it,you never know.

A Google query for "Hope is not a Strategy" results in 10,000,000 hits.

It's not often that I get serious on here, but snap out of it.  Your employer boned you.  It wasn't even personal, the people who made the decision don't even know you you are.  It sucks.  But waiting to see "if they delay it" isn't going to get you a better job.  And would it be so great if they did?  I mean, do you wake up every morning thinking about how much fun the job is?  (We've seen your posts :)

Hope is a great campaign slogan, but whether you're an economist,  banker, a venture capitalist, a salesweasel,  or even a warfighter, Hope Is Not A Strategy.

The original poem is about three times longer than the lyrics that made it into the song, but the musical track pretty much sums it up.

"Let's stop praying for something to save us and start saving ourselves.
Let's stop this and start over.
Let's go out.
Let's get going."
  - Nicole Blackman, Indictment, which she edited down by 2/3 and performed it for KMFDM as Dogma.

Hope. Is. Not. A. Strategy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 12:39 am

A Google query for "Hope is not a Strategy" results in 10,000,000 hits.

It's not often that I get serious on here, but snap out of it.  Your employer boned you.  It wasn't even personal, the people who made the decision don't even know you you are.  It sucks.  But waiting to see "if they delay it" isn't going to get you a better job.  And would it be so great if they did?  I mean, do you wake up every morning thinking about how much fun the job is?  (We've seen your posts :)

Hope is a great campaign slogan, but whether you're an economist,  banker, a venture capitalist, a salesweasel,  or even a warfighter, Hope Is Not A Strategy.

The original poem is about three times longer than the lyrics that made it into the song, but the musical track pretty much sums it up.

"Let's stop praying for something to save us and start saving ourselves.
Let's stop this and start over.
Let's go out.
Let's get going."
  - Nicole Blackman, Indictment, which she edited down by 2/3 and performed it for KMFDM as Dogma.

Hope. Is. Not. A. Strategy.

That's what I said in '08.  I don't want Obama to hope.  I want him to do.  I want him to go in there, kick ass and take names.  If he doesn't do that, he's dooming himself to the new Jimmy Carter.  I don't care if he doesn't catch the bastids and nail their hides to the wall, I just ask that he try!  And the man don't even try!  I'm not going to humor the guy by voting for him again.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/10 at 7:00 am

It wasn't even personal, the people who made the decision don't even know you you are.

As the saying goes,you're just a number. :(

Do you wake up every morning thinking about how much fun the job is?

I used to to think that but now I'm all stressed out after 3 1/2 years at Pathmark.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/11/10 at 6:03 pm

I used to to think that but now I'm all stressed out after 3 1/2 years at Pathmark.

So now that the fun's gone, why be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, and numbered? Your life is your own.

As the saying goes,you're just a number. :(

You are not a number, you are a free man.  Find something you do enjoy, and find some sucker willing to pay you to do that instead.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 10:46 pm

So now that the fun's gone, why be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, and numbered? Your life is your own.

You are not a number, you are a free man.  Find something you do enjoy, and find some sucker willing to pay you to do that instead.

Just Give 'Em Whiskey!

Written By: Howard on 09/12/10 at 7:15 am

pushing carts isn't what it used to be,the parking lot is still a disgusting sloppy mess and the cars still pass by like it's a speedway. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/10 at 11:14 pm

pushing carts isn't what it used to be,the parking lot is still a disgusting sloppy mess and the cars still pass by like it's a speedway. ::)

Speed bumps.  As soon as the jagoffs hit the speed bump at 50 mph, they won't do it a second time. 

As for the littering, if your company invested in a few months police detail, it would be expensive, but after a few litterbugs got $500.00 fines, the littering would cease to be a problem. 

Written By: Howard on 09/17/10 at 6:46 am

Speed bumps.  As soon as the jagoffs hit the speed bump at 50 mph, they won't do it a second time. 

As for the littering, if your company invested in a few months police detail, it would be expensive, but after a few litterbugs got $500.00 fines, the littering would cease to be a problem. 

They got maintainence trucks that pass by once in a while and that's about it using picksticks to get the garbage and circulars on the ground and I said to one of the workers,I've just about have had enough of being these people's maid,let customers filter their own wagons,I'm done!  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/10 at 12:52 am

They got maintainence trucks that pass by once in a while and that's about it using picksticks to get the garbage and circulars on the ground and I said to one of the workers,I've just about have had enough of being these people's maid,let customers filter their own wagons,I'm done!  >:(

You don't mean you just quit, do you?
???

Written By: Howard on 09/19/10 at 6:57 am

You don't mean you just quit, do you?
???

No,I'm just saying I'm not doing one of the tasks anymore cause it's too time consuming now,nobody cares in that place anymore. ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/19/10 at 6:59 am

Next Week Pathmark will be cutting more hours,they'll be open 9-9 and lately they just transfered The Pharmacy People.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/10 at 2:49 pm

One more week to go.  50-70% off just about everything.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/10 at 7:30 am

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Zuqwj4YuIj9zdM:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9pLSj2yKFXw/ShWTY701O2I/AAAAAAAAAic/EvLtLyxe_3s/s400/pathmark+logo.jpg&t=1

Pathmark is offically:

http://blog.swiftkickonline.com/going%20out%20of%20business.jpg

6pm tonight.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/10 at 7:10 pm

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Zuqwj4YuIj9zdM:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9pLSj2yKFXw/ShWTY701O2I/AAAAAAAAAic/EvLtLyxe_3s/s400/pathmark+logo.jpg&t=1

Pathmark is offically:

http://blog.swiftkickonline.com/going%20out%20of%20business.jpg

6pm tonight.

Bummer.  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/16/10 at 7:18 am

Right Now,nobody knows what will become of the new place,possibly a King Kullen,maybe a Stop And Shop,maybe a Shop-Rite,I'll have to find out a couple of months from now.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/10 at 6:53 am

http://www.westmountstorefront.ca/images/gallery-large/A-P.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/05/10 at 11:30 pm

"Last week and auspicious meeting of women was held in Kalamazoo. The meeting was addressed by a very prominent lady who is noted for her modesty.  She is so modest that she blindfolds herself when taking a bath.  Modesty runs in her family.  She has a nephew who is just ten years of age.  Sometimes, the nephew says, "I'm going to the forbidden name store."  The little fellow is too modest to say "I'm going to the A & P."  Well, here is what modest lady said to the gathering of women in Kalamazoo..."

-- Samuel M. Jackson

(from Philip Glass/Robert Wilson -- Einstein on the Beach)

Written By: tv on 12/11/10 at 4:28 pm

I think its sad A&P just filed for bankruptcy. The 80's/early 90's were great for the company. Then from about 1993 or 1994 on the company sunk.

Written By: tv on 12/11/10 at 4:34 pm

"Stop N'  Shop moved back to NJ in 2001 after moving out of NJ in 1982 says a Wikipedia article I was looking at.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/11/10 at 8:06 pm

I think its sad A&P just filed for bankruptcy. The 80's/early 90's were great for the company. Then from about 1993 or 1994 on the company sunk.

Give it another day (week, tops?) before it becomes official.  But yeah, this doesn't look good, and neither does this.  Buying Pathmark in 2007 was a risky move and came at pretty much the worst time - just before the credit markets blew up in 2008.  Sucks to be a bondholder...

Chapter 11 isn't the same as Chapter 7.  If they file, business will likely continue uninterrupted under creditor protection, and unless there are further closures (our mutual friend here may do OK, as he's recently been moved to what's presumably a store that was performing well enough not to be closed down in the latest round of closures), employees may not notice much of a difference during the restructuring process. 

Written By: Howard on 12/11/10 at 8:19 pm

I know it's sad this will be the 2nd Pathmark and I haven't been there 2 months yet and it'll file for bankruptcy,Man this is such worse news first Charlie Browns and now Pathmark.  :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/12/10 at 8:14 pm

OK, now it's official.

Key takeaway: The company has secured an $800 million debtor-in-possession loan from JPMorgan Chase to keep operating under bankruptcy.  That means there's $800M to keep the lights on and the bills paid: full authority to pay employee wages and benefits on an uninterrupted basis.

Onward and... well, maybe not "upward", but neither employees nor customers will notice a change in the immediate future.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 7:01 am

OK, now it's official.

Key takeaway: The company has secured an $800 million debtor-in-possession loan from JPMorgan Chase to keep operating under bankruptcy.  That means there's $800M to keep the lights on and the bills paid: full authority to pay employee wages and benefits on an uninterrupted basis.

Onward and... well, maybe not "upward", but neither employees nor customers will notice a change in the immediate future.

So what will happen to pushing carts? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 7:58 pm

Well,it's official,they filed for bankruptcy!  :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/18/10 at 9:34 pm

So what will happen to pushing carts? ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

Probably something like that.  Don't worry about it.  Let the giants stomp through the forest, wreaking what havoc they may.  When the dust from the asteroid impact settles out, your job is to be the little marmoset-like critter who's still nibbling on bugs and leaves, even though all the dinosaurs are gone.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/10 at 7:01 am

It appears that our Pathmark will not be closing after all,They put in another 8 million dollars so I'm good and my job is saved.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/27/13 at 8:09 pm

I was talking with one of the workers about A & P this afternoon and he said that they have no clue of what they're doing and which direction they're heading into and I said "You're definitely right"!

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/13 at 10:25 am

I didn't know A&P was still around.  The ones here in Canada all became Metro

http://wpmedia.business.financialpost.com/2013/11/metro-inc.jpg?w=620

Written By: Howard on 12/05/13 at 4:05 pm

I didn't know A&P was still around.  The ones here in Canada all became Metro

http://wpmedia.business.financialpost.com/2013/11/metro-inc.jpg?w=620

When did they do that?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/13 at 9:21 pm

When did they do that?  ???

2008, and just like A&P, the prices are really high because at one time, they operated under 24 hours.  Not all of them do anymore

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 4:07 pm

2008, and just like A&P, the prices are really high because at one time, they operated under 24 hours.  Not all of them do anymore

The one in Ozone Park opens up at 6am, Who in their right minds does their shopping at 6am? ::) Shouldn't they be sleeping or taking shower but instead they have to stand by the entrance doorway at 530 in the morning waiting for that Pathmark to open up.
And all that community does is eat eat eat, drink, smoke and do drugs. They have no life.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/13 at 5:44 am

The one in Ozone Park opens up at 6am, Who in their right minds does their shopping at 6am?

People who work graveyard shifts

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:35 am

A lot of the workers over there start at 12midnight and leave in the morning at 8-830 cause they worked 8 hour shifts. just packing and unpacking stuff.

Written By: warped on 12/09/13 at 7:50 am

The one in Ozone Park opens up at 6am, Who in their right minds does their shopping at 6am? ::) Shouldn't they be sleeping or taking shower but instead they have to stand by the entrance doorway at 530 in the morning waiting for that Pathmark to open up.
And all that community does is eat eat eat, drink, smoke and do drugs. They have no life.

This.
There are quite a few people who get off work at 5 or 6am, they shop before they go to sleep. We have friends who have several kids, the only time they shop is at 6am because the husband/wife work different hours, they have to take their kids to daycare and pick them up. The only time available to shop is that early or 11pm at night.  Lots of people/families have busy, hectic lives Howard.

Written By: Katluver on 12/09/13 at 11:22 am

There are some people that start work at 7am so perhaps they like to pick up some lunch or coffee break food on their way to work.

Written By: aja675 on 12/09/13 at 7:59 pm

The one in Ozone Park opens up at 6am, Who in their right minds does their shopping at 6am? ::)

Is it an A&P?

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 8:09 pm

Lots of people/families have busy, hectic lives Howard.

I know, I see it every day in that community. It's so hectic that these people drink tons and tons of coffee just to try to stay awake every day.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 8:10 pm

Is it an A&P?

Yes, it's an A & P.

Written By: aja675 on 12/10/13 at 3:47 am

Yes, it's an A & P.

Is it still there?

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 8:01 am

Is it still there?

Yes it is after 28 years, it's still standing.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/14 at 7:40 pm

Well, it appears that our Pathmark will be getting a few renovations soon. They're writing out the plans so they'll figure out what to do later.

Check for new replies or respond here...