inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Veterans Hospital of Dayton

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/03/07 at 5:16 pm

While the hospital and most of the surrounding buildings on the VA campus are still highly in use, back when it was first built in 1876, they had beautifully landscaped the area with ponds, gazebos, bandstands, benches, plants, an aviary, etc.  In the canteen (cafeteria) there is a picture with the caption stating that in the winters, Wilbur and Orville Wright and their sister would ice skate on the ponds when it froze over.

When my hubby was in the hospital a few years ago, I took a walk around to get some air.  I had found this structure down near the lake.  I don't know what it was, but I presume it was an archway just for decoration.  It's all boarded up and the bushes are all overgrown around it.

I've tried to find out online what it was, and there are several interesting articles with pictures about when they first opened the hospital (it's one of the first veterans hospitals in the United States ever to be built, and still being used!!)  But could not find anything about this abandoned structure.

I thought it looked really cute.

Subject: Re: Veterans Hospital of Dayton

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/03/07 at 11:01 pm

^oh wow...that's a really neat building..I wonder what it was used for?

Check for new replies or respond here...