inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Centralia, Pennsylvania

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/09/07 at 9:40 pm

This is one of the most unusual stories about a nearly defunct town. Centralia is a Pennsylvania community consumed by an underground mine fire.

The ruins of Centralia Pennsylvania no longer exists on some maps.  The story began sometime in 1962 along the outskirts of town when trash was burned in the pit of an abandoned strip mine, which connected to a coal vein running near the surface.  The burning trash caught the exposed vein of coal on fire.  The fire was thought to be extinguished but it apparently wasn't when it erupted in the pit a few days later.  Again the fire was doused with water for hours and thought to be out.  But it wasn't.   The coal then began to burn underground.  That was in 1962.   For the next two decades, workers battled the fire, flushing the mines with water and fly ash, excavated the burning material and dug trenches, backfilled, drilling again and again in an attempt to find the boundaries of the fire and  plan to put the fire out or at least contain it.  All efforts failed to do either as government officials delayed to take any real action to save the village.  By the early 1980s the fire had affected approximately 200 acres and homes had to be abandoned as carbon monoxide levels reached life threatening levels.   An engineering study concluded in 1983 that the fire could burn for another century or even more and "could conceivably spread over an area of approximately 3,700 acres."    

As time passed, each feeble attempt to do anything to stop the fire or help the residents of Centralia would cost more and more due to the fires progression.  Over 44 years and 40 million dollars later the fire still burns through old coal mines and veins under the town and the surrounding hillsides on several fronts.  The fire, smoke, fumes and toxic gases that came up through the back yards, basements and streets of Centralia literally ripped the town apart.   Most of the homes were condemned and residents were relocated over the years with grants from the federal government although some die-hards refused to be bought out and some still remain in the town.  Today Centralia is a virtual ghost town with only a few remaining residents.  As they continue to live in their beloved homes now owned by the federal government, people pass every day along Route 61, most totally unaware of the history surrounding them and the sad story of Centralia.

Studies have shown that if the fire is not contained it will continue to spread following the rich coal deposits and eventually threaten the neighboring town of Ashland, less that two miles away.  Many people including former (and current) residents of Centralia insist that there is more to this story than meets the eye.  Some believe that the rich deposits of coal beneath the town itself is the reason for the forced relocation of the towns people and to force the town to go defunct, giving up its mineral rights.  The stories around what is happening here vary depending on who you talk to or what you read.  What is certain is what has happened to this small community and the fact that Centralia as it one was will never be again.

Here are some links to sites with some amazing pictures/stories about the town. Beth and I want to go there as soon as Spring comes....this will be extremely amazing to me.

http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

http://www.centraliapa.com/

Subject: Re: Centralia, Pennsylvania

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/09/07 at 9:50 pm

I also want to add...that this town was the inspiration for the movie, "Silent Hill"...and if you haven't seen it...rent it, it's spooky.

The Real Silent Hill
Source: Underground Online and Sony Pictures 

Since the first Silent Hill game back in 1999, fans have wondered if the title town had a real-life counterpart. Is there a particular town that inspired the haunted wasteland we've come to know and fear in the games? There have been many speculations, and now here's a place you can actually visit... for REAL...

In researching the different elements of Silent Hill, screenwriter Roger Avary (Killing Zoe, The Rules of Attraction) came across the town of Centralia, Pennsylvania (it's interesting that LA moviemakers look to the deep Midwest when they're looking for something "strange" or "different"). Centralia planted the seed for what developed into the cinematic version of the town of Silent Hill.

As recently as 1981, there were over 1,000 residents living in Centralia, although the population has now dwindled to 11 (we'll say that again: 11 people) as a result of a 40-year mine fire burning beneath the borough (we'll say that again: it's been burning for 40 years... underneath the town). This is certainly not unlike Silent Hill, which was left deserted since devastating coal fires ravaged the town and its people.

The inferno started when a trash fire was lit in an abandoned mine pit in Centralia in 1962. The fire ignited an exposed vein of coal and spread throughout the mines beneath the borough. Several attempts have been made and millions of dollars have been spent unsuccessfully to extinguish this fire that still burns today.

The "problem" wasn't really acknowledged until a series of accidents in the '70s and '80s, including the appearances of sinkholes hundreds of feet deep. In 1984, Congress allocated more than $40 million for relocation efforts, and most residents moved to nearby Mount Carmel and Ashland.

However, a very few families opted to stay, and they're still there, despite the fact that the state of Pennsylvania has condemned all the buildings in the borough and the US Postal Service has revoked its zip code of 17927. The 11 holdouts include the town's 89-year-old mayor, Lamar Mervine, who refuses to leave because "I like it here."

You can find more information on Centralia, Pennsylvania here. Or perhaps one day you will heed its call and find yourself exploring its deserted streets...  Well, almost deserted.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/07 at 8:56 pm

so....do any of you have any places similiar to this, where you live? ???

Written By: La Roche on 02/11/07 at 9:05 pm

I don't think anything can compare to Centralia.. but where we used to live in London, there were tennemants there were still bombed out from the second world war. Yes.. that's right, WWII!  :o

We'd play around in the rubble.

Where my bro lives in Munich there are some bizare areas like that, where houses have just been left, whole streets with nobody living in them for whatever reason.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/07 at 10:37 pm

I don't think anything can compare to Centralia.. but where we used to live in London, there were tennemants there were still bombed out from the second world war. Yes.. that's right, WWII!  :o

We'd play around in the rubble.

Where my bro lives in Munich there are some bizare areas like that, where houses have just been left, whole streets with nobody living in them for whatever reason.

wow, that's really interesting...something I would definitely want to see.  That kind of stuff really does intrigue me.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/15/07 at 2:55 pm

Creepy!!

I seem to recall reading a book by either Dean Koontz or Stephen King that had a town like that in it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 3:02 pm

Creepy!!

I seem to recall reading a book by either Dean Koontz or Stephen King that had a town like that in it.

yes...it was a book by Dean Koontz. I haven't read it yet...but it's on my list of books to eventually get! ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/17/07 at 2:06 pm

I have looked on the Centralia websites, and yes, the photos do look creepy. Of course, a few towns on the Penna Turnpike (which isn't anywhere near Centralia) do look unsettling, having traveled there as a kid. A tragic story, and an example to those that play with fire (and, in this case, anthracite). P.S.: The former Centralia residence are planning on coming back in 2016 to open the time capsule they buried in 1966, according to Wikipedia. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/07 at 10:14 pm

I have looked on the Centralia websites, and yes, the photos do look creepy. Of course, a few towns on the Penna Turnpike (which isn't anywhere near Centralia) do look unsettling, having traveled there as a kid. A tragic story, and an example to those that play with fire (and, in this case, anthracite). P.S.: The former Centralia residence are planning on coming back in 2016 to open the time capsule they buried in 1966, according to Wikipedia. 

thanks for that info, Indygent! :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/18/07 at 1:47 pm

You're welcome, Quirk, although I don't no how accuate Wikipedia is in light of the premature Sinbad obit. ;)

thanks for that info, Indygent! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...