inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woolco

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/07 at 2:29 pm

A while ago, I talked about this in some other thread, but it needs a topic of it's own

Anyone else miss Woolco ...

http://www.geocities.com/godeltsihw/Woolco.gif

It was a discount department store founded in Columbus, Ohio in 1962 as a subsidary of Woolworths.  By the mid 70s, there were over 300 stores in North America, but in 1983, Woolco ceased operations in the United States.  In Canada, Woolco continued to operate until 1994 when it was acquired by Wal-Mart. 

There are days when I really do miss Woolco.  I have fond memories of shopping there with my Mom in the 80s and early 90s.  I used to get 5 and 10c gum from the machines in the lobby, and always got excited when I'd get those tiny little joke books instead of gum.  That's how you know it was long ago .. you could still get Gum in a gumball machine for 5 and 10c.  Now everything is a quarter

Subject: Re: Woolco

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/08/07 at 11:49 pm

I don't think we ever had that store in our area...I don't seem to remember it.

Written By: karen on 03/09/07 at 3:52 am

In the UK I think Woolco was used more as a brand name of Woolworths products.  I don't recall a Woolco store anywhere nearby.  However I've just done a Google search on Woolco and found that there was one that opened in 1967 in Oadby which isn't that far away.  I'm not sure if it is still open.  Davey might know

I got that information from this site

Written By: Paul on 03/09/07 at 2:11 pm

One of the Woolworths' brand names I remember was 'Winfield'...and for some reason, the gardening section of the store would have products marked up as 'Cuthbert'(!)

Somewhere in that site that karen mentioned is a section devoted to Woolies' own Embassy Records...a label that churned out well-intentioned, but inferior, hits of the day...

You can find shedloads of these things at any given car boot sale...they must have sold thousands back in the day!

Written By: gemini on 03/09/07 at 7:25 pm

When I was little, I remember going to Woolworths and they had a little snack bar. They had balloons hanging and you could pop a balloon and inside would be a paper that would tell if you won a free ice cream sundae. I also remember Kresge's having the same thing.  Wow, that was a long time ago. I had forgotten all about Woolworths. We went to Kresge's alot more, and it was about the same as Woolworth's if I remember correctly.

Written By: karen on 03/12/07 at 11:16 am

One of the Woolworths' brand names I remember was 'Winfield'!

That's what I was thinking of!  I wonder if Winfield is the W in F.W.Woolworth?

I guess Cuthberts could be a known brand of seeds.  Like Ladybird clothing existed before it became the brand associated with Woolworths

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/01/07 at 5:11 am

I remember as a kid seeing commercials for various products and how at the end they'd list off the (chain) stores where they were available, and a lot of the time they'd include "Woolworth/Woolco."

Check for new replies or respond here...