inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What ever happened to

Written By: Silversword55 on 05/11/07 at 12:07 pm

Discovery Zone?

Subject: Re: What ever happened to

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/11/07 at 12:50 pm

According to Wikipedia...

In 1996 they filed for bankruptcy with debts of up to $366.2 million.  And by the end of 1999 most had be purchased and made into Chucky E. Cheeses.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/11/07 at 1:00 pm

I almost forgot about that place. I've never been to one (we didn't have one really near us)...but I do remember hearing about them.

Written By: Silversword55 on 05/11/07 at 1:02 pm

DZ owns Chuck E. Cheeses

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/07 at 3:44 am

I totally forgot about Discovery Zone.  I dont remember if they existed in Canada, but I remember seeing commercials for them on U.S. networks

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 05/30/07 at 9:38 am

The remnants of DZ in my city (Aurora, CO) has become a day care center.  At least someone made good use of the space.

Written By: KKay on 05/30/07 at 9:40 am

the Landers sisters

Written By: Lindee on 06/12/07 at 9:52 am

We had a similiar place called Leaps and Bounds. It was kind of like Chuck E. Cheese but without the arcade games and no food was served. It was like a big indoor playground. It closed down after 5 or 6 years.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/10 at 1:04 pm

this old fashioned vaccuum that had no motor,you'd just roll it around the floor and it would catch the dirt,I'm not sure what you call it,maybe you can help me?  ???

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/07/10 at 1:15 pm

this old fashioned vaccuum that had no motor,you'd just roll it around the floor and it would catch the dirt,I'm not sure what you call it,maybe you can help me?  ???

Do you mean this?

http://img01.static-nextag.com/image/Bissell-21012-Sweep-Up-Cordless-Large-Capacity-Dirt-Pan-Easy-to-Empty-Blue/1/000/005/103/708/510370811.jpg

They're called carpet sweepers and they are still available.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/10 at 1:22 pm

Do you mean this?

http://img01.static-nextag.com/image/Bissell-21012-Sweep-Up-Cordless-Large-Capacity-Dirt-Pan-Easy-to-Empty-Blue/1/000/005/103/708/510370811.jpg

They're called carpet sweepers and they are still available.

Oh Thanks Carol,Where do you get them,How much do they go for?  ???

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/07/10 at 1:57 pm

Oh Thanks Carol,Where do you get them,How much do they go for?  ???

Your welcome, Howard.
You could probably find one at Walmart, Kmart or Target. I'm not sure how much they cost.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/10 at 6:47 am

Your welcome, Howard.
You could probably find one at Walmart, Kmart or Target. I'm not sure how much they cost.

I might try Ace Hardware right in the Pathmark Mall,they go for $26.99.

Written By: wildcard on 09/08/10 at 11:04 am

I use to go to discovery zone.  I remember playing hide and seek with my brothers.

Written By: chiefyamick on 12/22/10 at 5:19 pm

those carpet sweepers were also known as carpet hokeys. No idea why, but alot of restaurants call them that.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/10 at 6:58 am

DISCO?  :o

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 07/04/11 at 1:49 am

I remember having a bday at Discovery Zone. They used to have a robot come to the parties but he was broke when I had mine.

Written By: valleyroads on 01/18/13 at 11:19 pm

I loved Discovery Zone at Gateway Mall in Springfield, Oregon. Closed in 1998 IIRC, the space had been used as a Ford car dealership annex (with the play area, party rooms and snack bar obscured by portable walls), then the play area was removed, it became a glow-in-the-dark miniature golf course, then batting cages, it is now a weekend bazaar called EuGenius Market and the party rooms & snack bar look almost exactly like they did as DZ.

FunBase1, also in Springfield, was similar and predated DZ by quite some time, I loved its mini-racetrack with Powerwheels and Peg Perego cars and the bounce houses.

Check for new replies or respond here...