inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Recurring Dreams

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/07 at 11:29 pm

So, I don't know if this happens to everybody...but since I was young..I have had certain dreams that are recurring.  It's like, I dream about a certain thing..and I can literally (in my sleep) recognize that I have dreamed about this over and over again...and I sometimes even think to myself, "I know the ending"....and it happens just the same as before.  It's so odd.

Subject: Re: Recurring Dreams

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/07 at 11:57 pm

I've mentioned one of my most common ones before. More of a nightmare really.

I'm on top of a building.. and somebody is telling me to do something, I have a rifle and I have to shoot a short Chinese guy that's walking along the street, I'd try and shoot him but every time the bullet goes over his head and somebody comes and kills me.. then I'd wake up.

Well, I haven't had this dream for some time now and I guess whatever was causing it I finally fixed, but it was always the same.. and like Erin, I knew I'd had the dream and knew what was coming.. and just did it and then I'd wake up.

Written By: Tam on 06/19/07 at 12:27 am

Lately I have had the same recurring dream.... but I don't think I should really put it out here! ;D :P

But seriously, when I was young, I had the same dream that my parents were trying to kill me by throwing me in a pool with a shark! I had it so many times that I finally came to the conclusion the dream was in my pillow! I changed my pillow and have not had the dream since! oOo and to this day I still refuse to use Feather Pillows! :o

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 3:04 am

I've had recurring dreams, but in a weird way.  I have a dream, and when I wake up, I remember dreaming this exact same thing years ago :o

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/22/07 at 11:08 am

I have had 4 sets of recurring dreams in my life - and all of them came true. As soon as the event happens - I never ever have the dream again.

2 of the dreams were about personal events in my life and the other 2 were the 1996 Port Arthur massacre and 2001 9/11. In all 4 cases I had told my friends and family about the dreams regularly and written them in my dream diarys - so when they happened in real life - all those people were on the phone to me immediately.

With Port Arthur - I had visited it as a 4 year old in the early 70s and had had recurring nightmares ever since. A week before the massacre occured the dream took a strange change of course. I use to be a witness to the scarey events - generally the abuse of the convicts in the 1800s. But the dream changed to me being chased and trying to hide behind small shrubs or walls etc and being able to hear gunfire. I rang my mum 3 times that week to discuss the change in the dream. Then on the Sunday the massacre occured and I was just so shocked.

With 9/11. I first started having the dreams around 91 or 92. It was always in random cities around the world - sometimes immediately identifiable cities and other times a generic skyline. I was always a calm person on a footpath who looks up and says "that plane is going to hit that building" and I would then call the emergency services.
On the night 9/11 happened I got several phone calls from friends screaming "oh god its your dream" and I was so adamant that it wasnt. The footage that was being show on the news was all wrong - it wasnt my dream. Then a couple of days later they released the footage from the french doco that was filmed from street level and at that point I actually threw up in shock - because that footage and that angle WAS my dream.

Please dont think that I am saying I am a psycic or anything. I dont believe I am. I have no way to explain how those dreams plus the two that detailed exact events that then occured in my personal life - could have possibly happened. But I do believe there was a reason for them being recurring dreams. And I do believe there is a reason that the dreams stop once the event occurs.

The other sort of dreams I have are what I call "chapter dreams" - no idea if there is a proper name for them. Basically one night I will have a dream, and the next night the next dream starts exactly from where the last one left off. That will happen for several weeks at a time! Does anyone else have this type of dream ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/07 at 11:24 am

I don't have recurring dreams per say but I do have recurring THEMES. One I remember was when I was in H.S. and it was about my boyfriend at the time. There were two of him and I had chosen one over the other and kind of regretted it. I had a similar dream several years later about another boyfriend I had. I think I also had one about my first husband (I had about 3 of these dreams over the years). I had a similar dream about Carlos when we were dating but it wasn't the same. In my dream, instead of there being two of him, I married someone else and totally regretted it (I think it was my ex-husband  :o :o ). I remember my wedding band was tarnished.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 06/23/07 at 12:43 pm

I too have a recurring theme. I'm in a house running round trying to shut all the windows and doors before whatever menace that is outside can get in.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/07 at 3:09 pm

Oh, I just remembered another recurring THEME I have had. Tornadoes. I can't say how many dreams I had about tornadoes. And each one was different. But, I haven't had one of those dreams in YEARS!

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/23/07 at 7:03 pm

It's not always exactly the same but similar, I'll be chewing gum and it gets stuck to my teeth and I try to pull it off.  Sometimes it comes off easily, sometimes I pull and pull and can't get it off.

Someone once told me that dreams about teeth are because you're stressed. 

Written By: Gis on 06/24/07 at 4:08 am

It's not always exactly the same but similar, I'll be chewing gum and it gets stuck to my teeth and I try to pull it off.  Sometimes it comes off easily, sometimes I pull and pull and can't get it off.

Someone once told me that dreams about teeth are because you're stressed. 
The nearest i can find in my dream book is; cleaning your teeth menas the clearance of obsticles that have been holding you back.The fact the gum doesn't always come off means you will still overcome obstacles but only after continued patient effort.

Written By: karen on 06/26/07 at 8:21 am

I've had recurring bits of dreams 

One I haven't had for a while usually occurred just as I was falling asleep.  I would be walking down the road from my parents house, going to the shops.  There used to be a funny bit of kerb where one path ended then you turned 90 degrees to get onto the path in front of the shops.  In my dream I would always trip over at this place and wake up fully.  The pavement hasn't been like this for years, nor have I lived at home for years but I still get the same dream.

Another one I've had often is again set around the streets where I grew up.  I'm flying, arms outstretched, along the road.  Sometimes I am struggling to get up off the ground, on other days I am finding it easy to do.

Written By: wildcard on 06/26/07 at 11:43 am

I have lots of bits of reoccurring dreams. Currently I seem to be naked in a lot of them.  In the dreams I realize I'm naked, but whatever else is going on seems more important then finding clothes.   

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/26/07 at 12:20 pm

I have dreams about Spiders, but only that I discover them when I know I'm asleep (if that makes any sense).  Spiders being on my wall, spiders on my pillow, spiders on the blanket, I never dream about seeing spiders when I am awake and walking around.. 

Written By: Gis on 06/26/07 at 3:10 pm

I have dreams about Spiders, but only that I discover them when I know I'm asleep (if that makes any sense).  Spiders being on my wall, spiders on my pillow, spiders on the blanket, I never dream about seeing spiders when I am awake and walking around.. 
Spiders are meant to represent your mother!

Written By: La Roche on 06/26/07 at 4:33 pm

Ok, I have a quick question because I couldn't find the regular dreams thread - Anybody know where it is?

Anyhow, last night I had the weirdest dream ever?! I was laying on a board or something and somebody was putting crosses of red electrical tape on my arms and legs and then I was trying to show off all these cool new tattoos I'd got, but they were covered up with electrical tape so it just looked like I'd had an incident in a hardware store.  :-\\

Totally bizarre.

Written By: annonymouse on 06/29/07 at 12:28 am

i often will have a dream, and while i'm having it, i have a very vague sense that it is a dream and that i've had it before. my thought process durring the dream is not strong enough to actually recall the ending, but i know i've had it before. still, it's not like i (in the dream) act any differently. i just act as if i don't even know it's a dream. it's sorta bothersome. i've heard of some people who can actually control there dreams. that they can do anything they want to in there dreams like fly. anyways, i don't really have recurring dreams, but i sometimes have the same one twice or maybe even 3 times, but no more than that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/07 at 2:39 pm

Ok, I have a quick question because I couldn't find the regular dreams thread - Anybody know where it is?

Anyhow, last night I had the weirdest dream ever?! I was laying on a board or something and somebody was putting crosses of red electrical tape on my arms and legs and then I was trying to show off all these cool new tattoos I'd got, but they were covered up with electrical tape so it just looked like I'd had an incident in a hardware store.  :-\\

Totally bizarre.

I may be a little late with this but, what I think it means that you feel that you accomplished something that you are/were proud of (the new tattoos) but someone/something wouldn't let you bask in the glory of it (taping them up). I hope this helps.

Cat 

Written By: La Roche on 07/07/07 at 3:22 pm

I may be a little late with this but, what I think it means that you feel that you accomplished something that you are/were proud of (the new tattoos) but someone/something wouldn't let you bask in the glory of it (taping them up). I hope this helps.

Cat 

Or maybe I'm just weird.  ;D

I have been having the strangest dreams recently, normally mine are horrific and violent (even by my standards) so I'll take strange any day of the week.

Written By: triviagirl on 07/07/07 at 8:25 pm

I haven't had this dream for many years but I can remember having the same dream many times:  I am a young child walking home from school.  I get to where my house should be but my house is not there.  There is no vacant lot or anything.  It's like my house was picked up, removed and the houses to the left and right are pushed together so no gap remains....scary!

Written By: mizgreen on 03/07/09 at 2:32 pm

The other sort of dreams I have are what I call "chapter dreams" - no idea if there is a proper name for them. Basically one night I will have a dream, and the next night the next dream starts exactly from where the last one left off. That will happen for several weeks at a time! Does anyone else have this type of dream ?

I have this type of dream sometimes, but more so when I was a kid. I used to be able to somewhat control my dreams too, like i was in a half-conscious state. So sometimes when I wanted the dream to be longer I would tell myself to finish it the next night and every once in a while it would work. I could also make myself fly in dreams like someone previously posted.
The weirdest thing about my dreams is that I have recurring places in them. I have like a whole dream world and certain places exist in it that I keep going back to, and its like I know they exist only in this world. These are not places in real life.
I tend to have prophetic dreams too, its kinda creepy.

Written By: wildcard on 03/07/09 at 4:45 pm

^ I  had some of these chapter dreams as a kid.  I've have dreams where I can tell myself I'm dreaming.  I've had a dream world too.  I don't get much dreams these days.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/29/09 at 4:26 pm

I always dream that I can sort of run-fly.  It's hard to explain, but I'm running along, except my feet stay up off of the ground for like 10 seconds at a time, and then I just sort of float back down and bounce back up again.  Sort of like then men on the moon do, only much faster.  It's really great.  And I just bound everywhere and never get out of breath.

I also have a recurring dream that I am living at my dad's house.  This is not a good dream - my relationship with my dad is strained to say the least...and the entire time I'm thinking "don't I have my own house somewhere?"  And I just desperately want to go home.  I really hate that dream.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/30/09 at 4:41 pm

I have those run-fly dreams, too.  They are pretty cool. ;D

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:39 am

I always have dreams of looking for my wife..but never being able to find her

I also have many dreams of total world destruction where me and a friend in my past are the only two people left on earth and we have to find others in the wreckage. One time we found Don Knotts, other times it was Soupy Sales, Bert Convy, Tom Cruise and Nicole, William Shatner (as Cptn Kirk) and others

Weird stuff

Written By: mooster on 04/01/09 at 3:28 am

I always dream that I can sort of run-fly.  It's hard to explain, but I'm running along, except my feet stay up off of the ground for like 10 seconds at a time, and then I just sort of float back down and bounce back up again.  Sort of like then men on the moon do, only much faster.  It's really great.  And I just bound everywhere and never get out of breath.

That reminds me of how Alex Kidd from the Nintendo game we had in the 90s got around ! I've always wanted to be able to do that  8)

I have a recurring dream where I'm running and I can't stop - though I can never recall what happens afterwards  ???

Written By: Ripp on 04/03/09 at 9:36 am

People are on about these run-fly dreams, and I have them kind of often too lol. Although, when I say 'run-fly', I mean ... well ... just kind of hovering in mid air.

In dreams, if I'm flying, it's some weird thing where I can float if I jump a little and keep my legs out at a weird angle and keep them locked in that position. I've also had recurring dreams of floating down stairs, legs folded into like lotus-position. But if I'm run-flying, I stay up in the air and I can hardly control where I'm going and it's usually to try to get to someone or something or away from someone or something, so it's if it's urgent. Locking my legs into position means it's not urgent and I'm doing it for fun, but if my legs are running wildly in mid-air then it's urgent. When I'm running in mid-air, I try to direct myself but I end up veering off course and sideways and into walls, which I use to push myself off of and to the right way. One time I dreamt I was running down a street away from someone, and I was hovering in mid air, moving my legs wildly, almost flying off of the street.

Any meaning for this? :p

Also second page.

Written By: ninny on 04/24/09 at 3:05 pm

I'm not sure if it is a recurring dream,but there are times when I swear that I have said something or done something at the same time over & over again..like deja vu.

Written By: Gis on 05/18/09 at 1:38 pm

I dream about my Nan a lot since she died. Almost like I'm carrying on the conversations we used to have in real life.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/19/09 at 9:33 am

I dream about my Nan a lot since she died. Almost like I'm carrying on the conversations we used to have in real life.

I bet those are some of your favorite dreams.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...