inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Non Supercenter Wal-Marts

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/21/07 at 6:34 pm

Has anyone noticed that regular Wal-Mart's from before Supercenter's became commonplace have really started to disappear over the last 5-10 years? There used to be about 5 or 6 in this area alone back in like 1995,  but right around 1999 or 2000, they had essentially all switched over to the Supercenter's. The closest original Wal-Mart in our area is in Columbus, but that is over 100 miles away from here.

Anybody have any original Wal-Mart's still in there area?

Subject: Re: Non Supercenter Wal-Marts

Written By: Red Ant on 08/21/07 at 8:04 pm

I'm not sure what classification our closest Wal-Mart is. I think they used to be open 24/7, but I don't know anymore.

They do auto service, so they're probably a supercenter.

Note: They do lousy auto service. The truck I just bought was recently "tuned up" there. It runs so well it barely gets 10 MPG. They also left the washer off of the oil drain plug, causing a slow but persistent oil leak. I'm having a real mechanic look at it later this week, and it will get 18 MPG when he's done with it (I fixed the oil leak with an eleven cent washer).

Ant

Written By: Brian06 on 08/21/07 at 8:23 pm

We have like no supercenter wal marts around where I live, they're all standard ones it seems. Closest supercenter is about 20 miles away in Elyria, not all that far but there's about 7-8 regular wal-marts that are closer.

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/07 at 9:08 pm

The Wal-Mart around here, though it isn't necesarily a supercentre by name, it does have aisles with frozen food.  Before it was a stand-alone Wal-Mart, it was in a shopping mall where it was a regular old Wal-Mart.  Before 1994, it had been Woolco for many many years

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/07 at 9:42 pm

The only closest regular Walmart that was near us was torn down a few years ago...to make room for a Sam's Club store. Now...all of our other ones are Super Walmarts. ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/22/07 at 11:09 am

We have like no supercenter wal marts around where I live, they're all standard ones it seems. Closest supercenter is about 20 miles away in Elyria, not all that far but there's about 7-8 regular wal-marts that are closer.

That's actually pretty cool. I thought that almost all Wal-Mart's had upgraded to Supercenters, but It's nice to see that there's more original WM's around than I thought. I like going in the older Wal-Mart's because most of them haven't really changed since the '80s/'90s.

Written By: Jessica on 08/22/07 at 1:37 pm

We have two regular ones that are about 6-10 miles away. One of them is going to be torn down to make room for a Super Center though. And there is a Supercenter about 13 miles away from here.

Written By: KKay on 08/22/07 at 5:11 pm

we don't have Wal-mart here...
but i've been to one in PA and it was a-huuuuuge

Written By: Snoopygirl on 08/22/07 at 7:31 pm

We have a regular Wal-Mart, but it was just announced a little bit ago that they are going to put in a SuperCenter. There were plans to put another one in the neighboring town, but folks in that area protested it cause of traffic problems and they decided against it. It would of been next door to a Target, so that would of been interesting. Across the highway that is not right next door. :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/26/07 at 1:12 am

We have a regular old wal-mart (it does have a auto center attached to it and also has a McDonalds inside (not open 24 hours) though) and it does sell milk but only one aisle of food (and no frozen stuff) within about 2 miles of us.  Wal-Mart is open 24 hours and we go to it often.  I get my prescriptions filled there.  It's a little more expensive but when I tried to go to Sam's Club with my insurance card, they said they didn't know how to use it and wouldn't bother calling the number on the card to find out.  grrrrrrrrr.  So I went back to Wal-Mart and they made the calls and have been wonderful about helping me out when I have a question.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/01/07 at 8:07 pm

I've only seen one regular Wal-Mart here (a 20 minute drive on the freeway), everything else is a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/07 at 10:04 pm

Today I went to Costco and found that they close for Labor Day.  Not only that, they close for all the major holidays giving their employees the day off with their families.  Instead of taking my money elsewhere I decided that, in true pioneer spirit, I would delay my purchases and wait until Costco opened once again and spend my money with an employer who does seem to have a bit of regard for its employees.  They also pay better and offer better benefits.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 10:05 pm

Today I went to Costco and found that they close for Labor Day.  Not only that, they close for all the major holidays giving their employees the day off with their families.  Instead of taking my money elsewhere I decided that, in true pioneer spirit, I would delay my purchases and wait until Costco opened once again and spend my money with an employer who does seem to have a bit of regard for its employees.  They also pay better and offer better benefits.

that's really awesome of them. I mean, how many stores do that kind of thing anymore?...sadly, not many.  I have done that too..such as, I used to be a server in a restaurant...and I know how horrible it is to have to work on important holidays...so I won't patronize those places on holidays.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/07 at 5:12 pm

that's really awesome of them. I mean, how many stores do that kind of thing anymore?...sadly, not many.  I have done that too..such as, I used to be a server in a restaurant...and I know how horrible it is to have to work on important holidays...so I won't patronize those places on holidays.

I never do those self check out things either.  Just seems to me like I am helping them to fire someone.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/24/07 at 7:05 pm

I've been to the Wal-Mart capital of the world (Nr. Bentonville, Arkansas), but back here in No. California, we have 2-3 that are just regular Wal-Marts. The oldest one in this area, I believe, opened in 1992. I remember it being brand new. It was kinda exciting. At the time, I had never been to one before!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/24/07 at 7:08 pm

On second note, we do have a Target Greatland, which is sorta a bigger Target with more food items, but at ours, it's not a full blown supermarket. That would feel kinda strange buying my clothes at the same place I buy my lettuce leaves.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/07 at 3:18 pm

The Niles, IL Wal-Mart is supposed to be a Supercenter, but it's too small.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 10/12/07 at 3:30 pm

When a buddy of mine got fired from his regular job he ended up working at Costco just to keep some money coming in. They started him at $13 an hour. Granted it's not an amazing wage but it is at least a living wage as opposed to the bare minimum that Wal-Mart would probably pay.

There are a few near here.

The one in Waterloo is enormous and vile. The one in Arnold is enormous.. and.. beyond vile, it's like dawn of the dead in there.

There's really only 4 within the St. Louis metro area, there's a lot of antipathy for Wal-Mart around here and they've had to move way out of town to be successful. That's because we're the little blue bastion of reason and consumer selectivity in the great red wash of ignorance and stupidity.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/12/07 at 4:06 pm

Our Costco's (we have two - one in Concord and one in Antioch) are okay. I mean they're all about the items being purchased, not prettiness, so they do look very industrial like. Some parts of them smell like garbage cans, so you gotta beware, lol. We use to have a similiar place called PACE and I liked it better. It had more of supermarket feel to it, but they've been LONG gone for at least 10 years or longer.

Written By: Jessica on 10/21/07 at 4:12 pm

The one where I used to live always had a list of people just begging to work for them. It was insane. If you got in there, you were considered very lucky, especially by all the people who had to work at the other stores across the way that didn't believe in holidays, living wages, and good benefits. ::)

Written By: Davester on 10/21/07 at 10:27 pm

That would feel kinda strange buying my clothes at the same place I buy my lettuce leaves.

Maybe you're too young to remember Gemco.  The one in Pleasant Hill, where Target is now, featured a Lucky grocery store inside.  Spaghetti and spaghetti straps in one visit...

I remember it being kind of a novel idea at the time...

Written By: eloise on 10/24/07 at 1:14 pm

superstores frighten me, i like going to seperate stores for my food and clothers

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/24/07 at 1:37 pm

Maybe you're too young to remember Gemco.  The one in Pleasant Hill, where Target is now, featured a Lucky grocery store inside.  Spaghetti and spaghetti straps in one visit...

I actually probably was too young, but other people have told me about it, so I am familiar with it. I think that is actually considered Walnut Creek. I bet that was quite interesting at the time, since it was something new and different - whereas nowadays it's become commonplace.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/24/07 at 8:23 pm

There used to be a discount store called Wonder World, or WOW, in Vegas. There was a Lucky grocery store that you can enter from inside Wonder World instead of going outside to its regular entrance. I truly wish it was still around.  :(

Written By: Lindee on 12/20/07 at 11:05 am

We have a few original Wal Marts here that were built in the 90s.  The supercenters are all out of the city and in smaller towns. I wish they would tear down the Walmart by me and built a supercenter. It was built in '90 or '91 and is so small and crowded.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/21/07 at 3:06 pm

We now have a supercenter nearby, it's in this new shopping plaza slightly south of downtown Cleveland, I haven't been there yet though.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/11/08 at 4:39 pm

Despite having two super centers only 10 miles away, the smallest non super center Wal-Mart I've ever seen is still located in Rock Falls, Illinois. It's located at the intersection of US 30 and Il 40 2 miles north of I-88. Google Earth it if you like. 

Written By: roygerdodger on 03/15/08 at 6:59 pm

Pretty much most the Wal-Marts where I live are now Supercenters.

Written By: DeutscherGirl on 03/16/08 at 9:11 pm

Has anyone noticed that regular Wal-Mart's from before Supercenter's became commonplace have really started to disappear over the last 5-10 years? There used to be about 5 or 6 in this area alone back in like 1995,  but right around 1999 or 2000, they had essentially all switched over to the Supercenter's. The closest original Wal-Mart in our area is in Columbus, but that is over 100 miles away from here.

Anybody have any original Wal-Mart's still in there area?

:-[ I work in one. :-\\

Its getting remodeled to a supercenter in the next year though. But i fortunately will not be working there or living in Vegas! ;D 8)

Baby

Written By: shiroihikari on 03/25/08 at 8:26 pm

Here in Oklahoma, all the regular Wal-Marts have closed.  At least, all the ones I know of.  Some of them become "Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market", some get leased out and become something else entirely, like churches, and some just get torn down.

I miss the regular Wal-Mart in the town I grew up in.  It was small and crappy but I spent a lot of time in there as a kid.  Half of the building is a Tractor Supply Co., and the other half is sitting vacant.  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...