inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A place

Written By: Echo Nomad on 09/18/07 at 11:57 pm

A Place

Subject: Re: Another Closed Door

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/19/07 at 9:23 am

I can relate and feel your anguish. This has happened with one of our local malls (now defunct). I was crushed when it closed down...and then they tore it down in order to build, yet another Super Walmart. I just hate when things change like this. :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/19/07 at 11:50 am

Whether it's individual storefronts or mall structures, building that are abandoned way before their time are a waste of time, capital, and resourses. 

Yes...very true. I was hoping that they would have opted to renovate that mall, instead of tearing it down. It was built in the mid 60's....so it still had LOTS of years left...it just needed cleaned up a bit. I hate going to that complex that sits atop that land now...it's so impersonal and cold...all the same types of typical boring stores and restaurants adjacent to the stinkin' Super Walmart. Ugh. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/19/07 at 12:43 pm

The Mall of Memphis (again checkout Deadmalls.com) was a beautiful structure built in the 80's that was quickly abandoned in the early 00's

wow, I read up on it...that's such a shame. It's also shocking at how much crime happened around there, and how many bodies they found in the surrounding area of that mall...creepy. :o

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/19/07 at 7:57 pm

I read a lot of the stories posted on Deadmalls.com and they're both fascinating and sad. Until Tri City Mall and Los Arcos Mall (in the greater Phoenix area) closed and eventually torn down, I never thought it was possible for an entire mall to shut down completely.

This site has plenty of great stories about vintage malls:

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/20/07 at 3:42 am

I can understand your pain, too. Now that I'm getting older, I often reminisce over places I use to go t as a child. It's amazing at even my young age how much I've seen come and go. A few months back I went to my old downtown, and they had shut down an establishment that had been around since the 1850s!! I couldn't believe it was gone. The building is still there because it's historic, but the stores and diner were such a part of it's unique draw to the downtown. Oh well  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...