inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jack The Ripper

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/07 at 7:40 am

From August to November in 1888, London saw a series of five gruesome murders now coined as Jack The Ripper. The murderer was never knowing caught, and over the following years many a book has been written on the subject, each giving it's own theory to the assailant.

Among the suspects are The Duke of Clarence, eldest son of Queen Victoria, and the eminent painter Walter Sickert. As each goes on, more books are published and the suspect range increases. Can the murders be finally solved or which author has got it right?

Subject: Re: Jack The Ripper

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/07 at 9:06 am

It would be nice if some evidence was still available for DNA testing.  I am not convinced of the Duke of Clarence supposition but Sickert is a person of interest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/07 at 10:21 am

From reading many of the published books , I would wish the Ripper to be Montague John Druitt, the schoolteacher, evidence on his private life showed his interest was not of ladies. For in his teaching career he was expelled unexpectantly from a boys' boarding school in Blackheath (across the River Thames) with no reason given.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/12/07 at 1:20 pm

It always intrigues me whenever a killer's real identity has yet to be discovered.  I mean..think about how precise one would have to be, in order for nobody (in many years/decades/etc) to be able to fully prove that it was indeed a certain person.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/23/07 at 5:53 pm

If they ever find out The Ripper's identity, what will happen then? He's been dead for at least 100 years. What could be done?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/07 at 6:38 pm

If they ever find out The Ripper's identity, what will happen then? He's been dead for at least 100 years. What could be done?

The true identity has been lost in time. Not much can be done, no penalty can be served even if the culprit was found.

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 10:44 pm

It always intrigues me whenever a killer's real identity has yet to be discovered.  I mean..think about how precise one would have to be, in order for nobody (in many years/decades/etc) to be able to fully prove that it was indeed a certain person.

I haven't read the books but I wonder... considering the profession of the victims... did anyone really care about catching the ripper?
They were all hookers right? How hard did the investigators work phil? 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/07 at 6:10 am

I haven't read the books but I wonder... considering the profession of the victims... did anyone really care about catching the ripper?
They were all hookers right? How hard did the investigators work phil? 

Usually the murder of hookers is looked on with a shrug, even now that is the attitude, but these murders were so horrific they excited even the most hardened.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/02/07 at 12:25 am

My type of topic. I am convinced it is the Duke of Clarence! I have read quite a bit of literature on the subject. I was going to be a police officer in my younger days and find this kind of thing intriguing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 4:42 am

There is at New Scotland Yard the "Black Museum", which is a private museum for police viewing only of horrific murder artifacts. I would wish to see the JTR section.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/03/07 at 3:01 am

Actually, the notorious Ripper was indeed identified.

There was a book published several years ago, in which the "Ripper" was found to indeed be a member of the Royal Family.

It wasn't The Duke of Clarence, but if memory serves correctly, was a cousin who was either illegally sired, or once removed or something like that.

I know the book is in my local Library.
I will attempt to hunt it down, and post the info accordingly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 3:04 am

Actually, the notorious Ripper was indeed identified.

There was a book published several years ago, in which the "Ripper" was found to indeed be a member of the Royal Family.

It wasn't The Duke of Clarence, but if memory serves correctly, was a cousin who was either illegally sired, or once removed or something like that.

I know the book is in my local Library.
I will attempt to hunt it down, and post the info accordingly.
At times don't you just wish to be someone of high standing.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/03/07 at 3:06 am

At times don't you just wish to be someone of high standing.

Yes, but then I think of the film "King Ralph", and I could see myself tweaking the Tories the wrong way and such, and it just......well, the fact that I have British heritage is enough for me, right now.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/15/08 at 3:09 am

The Over Looked One!...I think this is the Guy......Rodchester NY should be famous!
http://www.casebook.org/suspects/tumblety.html

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/15/08 at 6:20 am

How bizarre to see this post..

I had a horrible dream about the Yorkshire Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe) last night - he had gouged his eyes out in a protest,
it was awful, mind u he is in the news  just now, kicking up a fuss cos' he was given a Life sentence,  yeah and...

>:(

Written By: ladyhawk on 05/15/08 at 6:55 pm

We had another killer in Washington state like the Ripper, it was the Green River Killer. I find him interesting. The type of crimes were done out of rage and control in the Rippers cause, the GRK was along the same line, but the GRK figured that the prosititutes were not considered human and he was doing every man a favor by getting rid of them.

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/08 at 7:29 pm

The Over Looked One!...I think this is the Guy......Rodchester NY should be famous!
http://www.casebook.org/suspects/tumblety.html

Yep, Francis Tumblety is a big suspect in the 'Jack the Ripper' case.

Unfortunately, I think the Jack the Ripper case will go down as legend due to it's complicated and unconclusive ending.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/15/08 at 9:53 pm

Perhaps it was Lizzie Borden (a infamous killer who was acquitted in the killing of her parents in Massachusetts)

:D

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/17/08 at 3:45 am

How bizarre to see this post..

I had a horrible dream about the Yorkshire Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe) last night - he had gouged his eyes out in a protest,
it was awful, mind u he is in the news  just now, kicking up a fuss cos' he was given a Life sentence,  yeah and...

>:(

No One gonna sympathize for him!But doesn't he look pretty for his pics in prison!
I met a fella that was in Kingston pen & he commented that the other prisoners don't want to kill these types as they get a daily beating!!!.Somebodys got to mop up their cell!
Wonder if bernardo gets a daily cleaning!

Scroll down for Suttcliffe's pic
http://www.execulink.com/~kbrannen/attackps.htm

Check for new replies or respond here...