inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Geauga Lake

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/31/07 at 12:13 pm

This year, Geauga Lake became a Water Park after dismal sales. In 2000, it was called Six Flags and it had a good run. (It should've been called Six Flags Geauga Lake, but that's my opinion.) In 2004, it became Geauga Lake and it went further downhill since.

Subject: Re: Geauga Lake

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/31/07 at 1:55 pm

I remember going to Geauga Lake when I was young. I remember when it went through with the name change...and then back again.

Written By: TigerMystic on 01/01/08 at 2:41 pm

Here's a local (NE Ohio/Aurora) news story about Geauga Lake and park owner Cedar Fair's failed attempt to sell a historic coaster.  (Article date=28 Dec. 2007)

http://www.wkyc.com/news/rss_article.aspx?ref=RSS&storyid=80464

Another story dating back to September is worth the read if you have any interest in the park, including fond memories.

http://www.fool.com/investing/dividends-income/2007/09/24/cedar-fair-throws-in-the-beach-towel.aspx

It really is a sorry situation.  I grew up 20 minutes away from Geauga Lake, and I feel like an important piece of local history is being destroyed.  The park is one of the oldest amusement parks in the United States.  It opened back in the late 1880s as a "summer getaway" from the hustle and bustle of big-city life.  In 1927, Johnny Weissmuller (of "Tarzan" fame) broke the 220-yd free-style swimming world record in Geauga Lake's Olympic-size swimming pool.  Throughout its history, Geauga Lake set quite a number of Ohio and national "firsts."

Everytime I drive by the park, my heart sags a bit.  :\'(

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/geauga.jpg

Written By: saver on 01/12/08 at 2:45 am

Depends how far back you go with the place....I miss theirs and any other amusement parks' 'spook house' or fun houses....all gone by the wayside.

Never to revive again...

(ps former Clevelander-what area are you from Mr. C?)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/12/08 at 11:10 am

So sad, we used to go to Sea World and Geauga Lake every couple years.  I hadn't been there in many years though, I think the last time was 2002.  I have many fond memories of those parks.  :\'(

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/13/08 at 9:57 pm

Depends how far back you go with the place....I miss theirs and any other amusement parks' 'spook house' or fun houses....all gone by the wayside.

Never to revive again...

(ps former Clevelander-what area are you from Mr. C?)

Old Brooklyn by the Zoo.

Written By: saver on 01/14/08 at 12:44 am

Old Brooklyn by the Zoo.

Small World! Great Memories!

I used to know people off of Muriel Ave. in the 60's and visited the zoo...and remember sledding on 'the hill' on a road they must have closed off by now..(which was a short cut to the zoo...).

Check for new replies or respond here...