inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why aren't ghost naked?

Written By: loki 13 on 01/29/08 at 5:03 pm

This seems like a silly question, I know, but why aren't ghost naked? For those who believe in ghost know
that ghost are nothing more than a remnant of the spirit that lived within a living being. A form of energy
that was somehow left behind to wander the Earthly plane. People have seen women in flowing gowns,
soldiers in full uniform and ship Captains walking on deck. The question here is, what energy form did the
clothes leave behind that made them destined to wander the earth with their owners?

Clothes are inanimate objects should shouldn't cross over into the spirit world yet people see clothed ghost.
Are the ghost too modest to be seen unclothed? Is there a spirit world clothing store? Inquiring minds want
to know.

Subject: Re: Why aren't ghost naked?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/29/08 at 5:29 pm

This seems like a silly question, I know, but why aren't ghost naked? For those who believe in ghost know
that ghost are nothing more than a remnant of the spirit that lived within a living being. A form of energy
that was somehow left behind to wander the Earthly plane. People have seen women in flowing gowns,
soldiers in full uniform and ship Captains walking on deck. The question here is, what energy form did the
clothes leave behind that made them destined to wander the earth with their owners?

Clothes are inanimate objects should shouldn't cross over into the spirit world yet people see clothed ghost.
Are the ghost too modest to be seen unclothed? Is there a spirit world clothing store? Inquiring minds want
to know.

Funny questions!

Maybe the clothes make the ghost... who knows? You're right though, I've never heard of a naked ghost. With that in mind, if I have time, right before I die I'm gonna strip naked...

"Is there a spirit world clothing store?" - I hear all the "in" ghosts go to Cold Topic.

Ant

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/29/08 at 5:39 pm

I think they go with what they're buried in.  Which would explain the flowing gown bit. (Some woman are buried in their wedding dress)  I don't think they're actually wearing clothes.  Can't figure out how they go from human form with clothes to being orbs.  You're right, good question. :-\\

Written By: Green Lantern on 01/29/08 at 5:41 pm

http://www.popgadget.net/images/ghost_towel.jpg
WARNING ! WARNING !

Naked ghost spotted !

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2425/warningwarninghj6.gif
NO KIDS !  NO KIDS !

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/coreimages/digital+art/8254_3173_by_whaishiki.jpg

Made your day ? ^  Admit it 'Loki' ... you've got a ghost fetish !  >:(  :P  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 5:46 pm

I'd say they either

appear in what they were wearing when they died (unless they died naked...see theory two)
appear in what they were wearing when they were buried
hold on to some mortal sensibilities and feel like shame like they did when they were alive and therefore are too embarrassed to show themselves in the nude

Written By: loki 13 on 01/29/08 at 5:54 pm

Made your day ? ^  Admit it 'Loki' ... you've got a ghost fetish !  >:(   :P   ;D

Aw, come on, Am I the only one who has ever ask this question?  ;D

I'd say they either

appear in what they were wearing when they died (unless they died naked...see theory two)
appear in what they were wearing when they were buried
hold on to some mortal sensibilities and feel like shame like they did when they were alive and therefore are too embarrassed to show themselves in the nude

My question still remains, How did the clothes become ghost?

I think they go with what they're buried in.  Which would explain the flowing gown bit. (Some woman are buried in their wedding dress)  I don't think they're actually wearing clothes.  Can't figure out how they go from human form with clothes to being orbs.  You're right, good question. :-\\

I may believe orbs, that would explain the energy. At least the orbs aren't dressed.

Funny questions!

Maybe the clothes make the ghost... who knows? You're right though, I've never heard of a naked ghost. With that in mind, if I have time, right before I die I'm gonna strip naked...

"Is there a spirit world clothing store?" - I hear all the "in" ghosts go to Cold Topic.

Ant

This just had me laughing.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 8:45 pm

My question still remains, How did the clothes brcome ghost?

image projection...they aren't really wearing the clothes they just project their image as clothed  see its simple!  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/29/08 at 9:05 pm

image projection...they aren't really wearing the clothes they just project their image as clothed  see its simple!  ;D

So, ghost are modest? Wouldn't death be the perfect time to let go of inhibitions? I really don't
believe in ghost but I know one thing, if I ever come back as a ghost I'm streaking all over the place. 
It will probably be the most terrifying thing anyone would see.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 9:09 pm

So, ghost are modest? Wouldn't death be the perfect time to let go of inhibitions? I really don't
believe in ghost but I know one thing, if I ever come back as a ghost I'm streaking all over the place. 
It will probably be the most terrifying thing anyone would see.  ;D

then you're not modest... I think ghosts are still holding on to some piece of humanity and modesty is part of that.

Thank you by the way...Modest was exactly the word I was looking for but couldn't think of it at the time.  did i tell you about the drugs I took for a back injury that left a gaping hole in my brain (figuratively) and took a large portion of my vocabulary with it... I can sit here for hours trying to remember a word as simple as fork...

Written By: Jessica on 01/29/08 at 9:54 pm

It's rare that you actually see a full on ghost anyways. Mostly it's orbs or unusual activity (or your three year old, lying in bed and giggling for no reason at all :o), or streaks of light or just a face.

My take is that it's what they either died in or had on when they were buried and the spirit just formed a bond to that last earthly possession. Once they fully cross over, that's it. No more orbs, no more hauntings, no more clothed images.

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/08 at 6:47 pm

Any ghost whisperer fans out there?  has Melinda ever encountered a naked ghost? 

Maybe I'll write a GW spec script featuring one....

Written By: loki 13 on 01/30/08 at 7:24 pm

Any ghost whisperer fans out there?  has Melinda ever encountered a naked ghost?   

Maybe I'll write a GW spec script featuring one....

I was watching an episode of Ghost Whisperer when I first asked this question.  ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 01/30/08 at 7:35 pm

How about Ghost Writers ... do you think they should be naked too ?  ???

http://www.exquisitewriting.com/storage/dreamstime_1110182063HBdsHK.jpg
Hey ! Is that ^ Philip Eno ? That's what happens when posting is more important than eating !  :\'( :\'( :\'(

http://bloombergmarketing.blogs.com/bloomberg_marketing/images/ghostwriter.gif
^ But there he is  ^ .... still typing merrily away in 'postwhore heaven' !  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/08 at 10:24 am

These ghosts are probably self-conscious . . . that is if they were conscious, lol.

Written By: saver on 03/01/08 at 2:20 am

to know.

What an interesting observation...to add to this as well:

If the person was creamated do they reappear as dust?

OR....The 'BIG' question......:

WHY AREN'T THERE ANY GAY GHOSTS?
You never hear the stories of guys/women in bed and a same sex ghost shows up next to them and THEY LIKE IT!!!!!

Guess we'll all find out the answer one day..... :D :D

Written By: wildcard on 03/01/08 at 12:25 pm

To live is what I need to be doing now so I need to keep my mind in on earthly matters.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/03/08 at 10:24 pm

Loki, I've wondered the same thing many a time!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/04/08 at 12:22 am

Maybe it's our own self-conscious that percieves any "spirit" we think we see as having clothes on.  If we were comfortable living as nudists, perhaps we'd perceive our ghosts nude?

Written By: saver on 03/10/08 at 7:31 pm

Maybe it's our own self-conscious that percieves any "spirit" we think we see as having clothes on.  If we were comfortable living as nudists, perhaps we'd perceive our ghosts nude?

Nah, thought of it a little more and figured the 'ghost guard' won't let them leave the spirit world to ours without clothes or in a 'dirty' sheet! :o 

Check for new replies or respond here...