inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Backward messages in song lyrics

Written By: loki 13 on 04/18/08 at 6:55 pm

I found Stairway To Heaven played backwards on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sMgxqgGUDno&feature=related

There are many people who put faith in Satanic backward messages. It's not just Led Zeppelin they say
the majority of rock music has hidden messages. My opinion.....Bulls*!%. I don't think the bands had the
knowledge to pull off such a stunt. You would have to use the right words, pronounced the right way to
make the backward sound make sense. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to write lyrics that make
sense forward also make sense backward. I think it's like seeing figures in the clouds. Once someone heard
it a certain way they convinced everyone else to hear it the same way. Listen to the song without reading
the lyrics and I doubt you'll hear what they say it is. There are songs with legitimate backward messages,
the B-52's come to mind, the song makes perfect sense backwards but when the song is played forward it
sounds like gibberish, For the most part I think it is just a coincidence.

On a funny note, Hotel California played backward also contains hidden messages, including seeing into the future.
One backward line says: Please Don't hate it SpongeBob.  ;D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ktQ6KWI0a3s

Subject: Re: Backward messages in song lyrics

Written By: gibbo on 04/18/08 at 7:12 pm

Well Don Henley WAS thinking about building the perfect BEAST........ :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/08 at 1:03 am

On a funny note, Hotel California played backward also contains hidden messages, including seeing into the future.
One backward line says: Please Don't hate it SpongeBob.  ;D

I can't believe a SpongeBob reference in Hotel California...

...but I do know that the background vocals at the words "strange foreign-speaking nation" (timestamp 1:00-1:05) in the J. Geils Band's No Anchovies Please story (1980, Love Stinks) is "It doesn't take a genius to tell the difference between chicken (sh*bleep*) and chicken salad."

For reference, the backwards masking background vocals in 02:55-03:03 of Judas Priest's Love Bites (1984, from Defenders of the Faith) is Rob Halford saying "in the dead of the night, love bites", which is a line from the song's chorus. 

For further information (and a lot of spoilers :-), see the Wikipedia article on Backmasking.

In a nutshell, you're right -- I don't think anyone's actually managed to sing lyrics that make sense both forwards and backwards.  And I don't think backmasking is an effective way of implanting subliminal suggestions.  But it sure does make for fun listening, especially in an age where you've gotta dump the MP3 to .WAV in order to play it backwards, rather than just fiddling around with a turntable or a cassette!

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/20/08 at 12:12 am

At the end of Prince's Purple Rain there's a whole bunch of howling wind, haunting keyboards and gibberish.  If you spin it backward, he's saying "Hang on children, he's coming, he's coming"

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/21/08 at 7:24 am

At the end of Prince's Purple Rain there's a whole bunch of howling wind, haunting keyboards and gibberish.  If you spin it backward, he's saying "Hang on children, he's coming, he's coming"

creepy!!!

I remember back in 1991, there was a rumor going around that playing Madonna's song "Justify My Love" backwards would reveal her saying "I love Satan, do you? do you?"  LOL  My friend and I recorded it on a blank tape, dismantled it and put it back together backwards.  It kinda did sound like that, if you really listened, but it was a bunch of horse-pucky!

Written By: Step-chan on 04/21/08 at 5:51 pm

I've checked out some backmasking and backward song vids on youtube a bunch of times before.

Stairway to Heaven is kinda creepy.

I've seen all sorts of stuff, including ones to cartoons.

Check for new replies or respond here...