inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New evidence concerning Bigfoot--real or myth?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/15/08 at 10:39 pm

I have always been a believer of Bigfoot..but I am not sure what to think of this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080815/ap_on_re_us/bigfoot_claim;_ylt=AkWqGEIr7rYijRhRM7pHb9IazJV4

PALO ALTO, Calif. - Bigfoot or big fat lie? Whenever someone reports sighting the hairy beast of yore (details always fuzzy) or capturing the hirsute humanoid on film (images always grainy), it scares up a dubious debate of international proportions. Friday was just the latest episode in the Sasquatch show, as unreal as it may be.

Two men who claim to have stumbled across a Bigfoot corpse in the woods of northern Georgia indignantly stood by their story at a news conference in Palo Alto during which they offered an e-mail from a scientist as evidence and acknowledged they wouldn't mind making a few bucks from the "find" they have kept stuffed in a freezer for over a month.

"Everyone who has talked down to us is going to eat their words," predicted Matt Whitton, an officer on medical leave from the Clayton County Police Department.

Whitton and Rick Dyer, a former corrections officer, announced the discovery in early July on YouTube videos and their Web site. Although they did not consider themselves devoted Bigfoot trackers before then, they have since started offering weekend search expeditions in Georgia for $499. The specimen they bagged, the men say, was one of several apelike creatures they spotted cavorting in the woods.

As they faced a skeptical audience of several hundred journalists and Bigfoot fans that included one curiosity seeker in a Chewbacca suit, the pair were joined Friday by Tom Biscardi, head of a group called Searching for Bigfoot. Other Bigfoot hunters call Biscardi a huckster looking for media attention.

Biscardi fielded most of the questions. Among them: Why should anyone accept the men's tale when they weren't willing to display their frozen artifact or pinpoint where they allegedly found it? How come bushwhackers aren't constantly tripping over primate remains if there are as many as 7,000 Bigfoots roaming the United States, as Biscardi claimed?

"I understand where you are coming from, but how many real Bigfoot researchers are out there trekking 140,000 miles a year?" Biscardi said.

Biscardi, Whitton and Dyer presented what they called evidence supporting the Bigfoot theory. It was an e-mail from a University of Minnesota scientist, but all it said was that of the three DNA samples sent to the scientist, one was human, one was likely a possum and the third could not be tested because of technical problems.

At least one other Bigfoot researcher, Idaho State University anthropologist Jeffrey Meldrum, called the trio's claims "not compelling in the least." He told the Scientific American that photographs posted on the Web site "just looks like a costume with some fake guts thrown on top for effect."

Whitton and Dyer have offered three different accounts of how they found the beast's remains.

In early videos, the animal was shot by a former felon, and the men followed it into the woods. In a second version, they found a "family of Bigfoot" in the north Georgia mountains. In the third, the two were hiking and stumbled upon the corpse with open wounds.

In one of their YouTube videos, they are shown speaking with a man they identify as a scientist. Earlier this week, they admitted that the man was Dyer's brother. Dyer said they were simply having fun.

Asked why anyone should believe his claims when he already had shown a flair for tomfoolery, he suggested that skeptics simply are jealous.

"They don't have a choice to believe us. We have a body," Dyer said.

Subject: Re: New evidence concerning Bigfoot--real or myth?

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/16/08 at 12:31 am

I have always been a believer of Bigfoot..but I am not sure what to think of this.

As much as I'd like to believe... I gotta say...

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7637/bigfootou7.jpg

Coincidence or conspiracy?

The first attempted debunk was a couple of days ago before the lamestream media picked up on the story, and it turns out that the guts heaped onto the cosume were probably opossum viscera.

Then again, it's been what, 20 years since Harry and the Hendersons was on TV.  Maybe there's a re-imagination or a movie project coming up, and they went with a viral marketing hook?

Now, since this Bigfoot's been pretty handily debunked over the past 48 hours, and since I'm the self-appointed "science is cooler than mythology" guy around here, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out something in the real world that's at least as weird as Bigfoot. 

To that end, I'm going to play the Octopus card, which is spookily intelligent.  Cephalopod intelligence is as alien a one as we're likely to find on Earth, as our most recent common ancestor was around 700 million years ago.  When kept as pets, octopi learn to recognize their owners by face - responding differently to their owners than they do to strangers.  They also become bored if not regularly provided with new toys.  (If you present a chameleon with a plaid surface, it'll just ignore or avoid it in frustration, just like in that old Warner Brothers wildlife cartoon.  An octopus, on the other hand, will flash its colors with delight at you for giving it something interesting to camouflage itself against.  When it's learned how to camouflage itself against the new pattern, it'll eventually stop playing the game until you give it a new shape, color, or pattern to play with. The stories about octopi learning to unscrew jars in order to retrieve crabs are true, and the videos are on YouTube. 

Perhaps H.P. Lovecraft was closer to the truth than his contemporaries ever knew.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/16/08 at 8:42 am

I, for one, think it's all a big hoax.

Foobar, I do appreciate all of the wonderful info on octopi.  I'm going to find that video on youtube now...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/08 at 8:47 am

Has the DNA been tested yet?

Written By: wildcard on 08/17/08 at 11:11 pm

This thing has been in a freezer over a Month.  When did they first tell someone how exited they were?     

Subject: Convenience Stores VS Convenience Stories

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/17/08 at 11:21 pm

With a grain of Salt!
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080817/n_usa_reuters/usreport_bigfoot_dc
Yup it seems the owners of a company that sells "BIG FOOT" stuff actualy claimed they found a dead one!!!
;D ;D ;D.
University of Minnesota who performed the DNA analysis...& found Bigfoot came from a human and the other was 96 percent from an opossum!
Wonder if you buy Bigfoot merchandise from them do they TAX the imagination!
How nice it was just them who happened to find it!??
I do like that old clip of a man in a ape-like costume..very beliveable looking........
Bigfoot lives with Elvis aboard a UFO!

Subject: Re: Convenience Stores VS Convenience Stories

Written By: gibbo on 08/18/08 at 6:35 am

With a grain of Salt!

Oh c'mon ....Elvis wasn't real..... :o :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/18/08 at 8:45 am

Oh c'mon ....Elvis wasn't real..... :o :D
;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/19/08 at 2:10 am

And on that note, you're gonna want to cue up the following two tracks:

Ray Stevens, I Saw Elvis in a UFO
Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper, Amazing Bigfoot Diet.

If Bigfoot exists, and he's living aboard a UFO, then of course, Elvis is there.  Elvis is everywhere, man.  He's in everything...

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/19/08 at 10:26 am

Elvis is everywhere, man.  He's in everything...

Hes in Joan Rivers but hes trying to get out!

Micheal J Fox has no Elvis in him!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

On bigfoot , people like to try to believe in stuff such as ghosts , bigfoot , the lochness monster
But its more of a distraction from their everyday hum drum lives...
As Dave Allen once said
"People who go to Psychiatrists build castles in the sky
The  Psychiatrists meagerly collect the rent"
;D
We only know what we are told or on TV shown
CNN was an effective tool to divert the 911 out of proportion
Que Doobie Bros - what a fool believes

Written By: Jessica on 08/19/08 at 10:54 am

;D ;D ;D ;D

On bigfoot , people like to try to believe in stuff such as ghosts , bigfoot , the lochness monster
As Dave Allen once said
;D

::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/19/08 at 11:47 am

;D ;D ;D ;D

As Dave Allen once said
;D

meh

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/08 at 1:52 pm

Was it a frozen gorilla suit?

Check for new replies or respond here...