inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody know anything about RH-negative blood

Written By: ninny on 11/01/08 at 12:15 pm

My 16 your old daughter is pregnant,and we were informed she is RH-negative. I really had know idea what that meant,until I talked to my sister-in-law Stacey,who informed me that if Missy's baby is RH+positive,the two blood types don't mix and it could be a potential danger to the baby(lots of women have misscarages) the baby may develop Anemia,Jaundice,Heart problems and in rare cases Stillbirth. Luckily there is a shot that she can take around 27 weeks (she is 24 weeks today) that will help prevent any problems.
I did a little more research about people with this blood type Missy is A- apparently only 6% in the world. Some people almost consider them to be alien,because they have a rare connection with outer space,that  the blood type itself came from The Holy Spirit and was passed on to Jesus Christ. That most of them have an extra tailbone,most are analytical
Well here is a list
are certain similarities that occur to those having Rh negative blood - according to some who have it there are common patterns found, which include the following:

1. predominance of green or hazel eyes that change color like a chameleon, but also blue eyes

2. true red or reddish hair

3. low pulse rate

4. low blood pressure

5. keen sight or hearing

6. ESP

7. extra rib or vertebrae

8. UFO connections

9. love of space and science

10. a sense of not belonging to the human race

11. piercing eyes

12. paranormal occurrences

13. physic dreams

14. truth seekers

15. desire for higher wisdom

16. empathetic illnesses

17. deep compassion for fate of mankind

18. a sense of a 'mission' in life

19. physic abilities

20. unexplained scars on body

21. capability to disrupt electrical appliances

22. alien contacts

I looked this list over and there are a few things that can describe Missy,but not much..maybe that will change when she gets older.

Is anyone here RH- Negative and due you have any of the above traits or phenomenas happen to you.

Subject: Re: Does anybody know anything about RH-negative blood

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/01/08 at 2:52 pm

My 16 your old daughter is pregnant,and we were informed she is RH-negative. I really had know idea what that meant,until I talked to my sister-in-law Stacey,who informed me that if Missy's baby is RH+positive,the two blood types don't mix and it could be a potential danger to the baby(lots of women have misscarages) the baby may develop Anemia,Jaundice,Heart problems and in rare cases Stillbirth. Luckily there is a shot that she can take around 27 weeks (she is 24 weeks today) that will help prevent any problems.
I did a little more research about people with this blood type Missy is A- apparently only 6% in the world. Some people almost consider them to be alien,because they have a rare connection with outer space,that  the blood type itself came from The Holy Spirit and was passed on to Jesus Christ. That most of them have an extra tailbone,most are analytical
Well here is a list
are certain similarities that occur to those having Rh negative blood - according to some who have it there are common patterns found, which include the following:

1. predominance of green or hazel eyes that change color like a chameleon, but also blue eyes

2. true red or reddish hair

3. low pulse rate

4. low blood pressure

5. keen sight or hearing

6. ESP

8. UFO connections

11. piercing eyes

12. paranormal occurrences

13. physic dreams

14. truth seekers

15. desire for higher wisdom

16. empathetic illnesses

17. deep compassion for fate of mankind

18. a sense of a 'mission' in life

19. physic abilities

20. unexplained scars on body

21. capability to disrupt electrical appliances

22. alien contacts

I looked this list over and there are a few things that can describe Missy,but not much..maybe that will change when she gets older.

Is anyone here RH- Negative and due you have any of the above traits or phenomenas happen to you.

WOW - I am A- and I never knew any of this, as far as I know I have no extra tail or rib or etc.... ;)  My husband may believe I have a forked tongue when I am mad at him ;)

I do have the green/blue/hazel eyes that change color depending on mood/ health / etc....

I am a true blonde (but my husband  - who is O- has true red hair)

neither of us have high blood pressure, and we are both over weight (trying to lose weight)

I wear glasses, hearing is alright

I do love science (that is why I am an Ag teacher - it involves alll sciences)

I far as psychic/esp/alien occurances - I do not believe I have had any more of these than the normal person..... Just coincidences....Nothing to speak of.

As far as danger to the baby with your daughter being RH- , the first child there is no danger too, no risk, etc... Not until the blood of the baby (if RH+ comes in contact with the mother's RH- ) at the time of birth; then the antibodies to reject the RH+ will occur (which will then affect any RH+ child born to that mother - body rejection occurs).  I was "lucky" my husband is also RH- so I never had to get the immuno globulin shot to prevent this - our children were definately RH- children..... ( and I do not believe either daughter has the esp/psychic/extra rib/tail...... )

Have your daughter get the shot and there is no worry either way........

Take care

Written By: ninny on 11/01/08 at 3:56 pm

WOW - I am A- and I never knew any of this, as far as I know I have no extra tail or rib or etc.... ;)  My husband may believe I have a forked tongue when I am mad at him ;)

I do have the green/blue/hazel eyes that change color depending on mood/ health / etc....

I am a true blonde (but my husband  - who is O- has true red hair)

neither of us have high blood pressure, and we are both over weight (trying to lose weight)

I wear glasses, hearing is alright

I do love science (that is why I am an Ag teacher - it involves alll sciences)

I far as psychic/esp/alien occurances - I do not believe I have had any more of these than the normal person..... Just coincidences....Nothing to speak of.

As far as danger to the baby with your daughter being RH- , the first child there is no danger too, no risk, etc... Not until the blood of the baby (if RH+ comes in contact with the mother's RH- ) at the time of birth; then the antibodies to reject the RH+ will occur (which will then affect any RH+ child born to that mother - body rejection occurs).  I was "lucky" my husband is also RH- so I never had to get the immuno globulin shot to prevent this - our children were definately RH- children..... ( and I do not believe either daughter has the esp/psychic/extra rib/tail...... )

Have your daughter get the shot and there is no worry either way........

Take care

Thanks, Missy only has the eye color green or hazel eyes that change color like a chameleon, the good eyesight (she has selective hearing ;D) and lots of dreams,but if I remember I had lots of dreams when I was pregnant. As far as I know she has no extra rib or vertabrae.
I'm not sure of her boyfriends blood type,but we just hope everything works out fine.
The funny thing is that my husband has red hair,hazel eyes but is B+.I have been to the hospital several times,but sadly do not know my blood type.This is really bad considering I once received 5 pints of blood,because of female problems and not getting enough oxygen to my heart.
I did have to kid Missy because one of the names she picked out was Drake..which means Dragon.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/01/08 at 6:56 pm

Where did you get that list from?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/Children_of_the_Damned.jpg

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/01/08 at 8:21 pm

I was thinking Tom Cruise.  ;D

Written By: karen on 11/01/08 at 9:31 pm

My mother-in-law is Rh- but I would not say any of the things on the list apply to her.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/02/08 at 1:08 am

Correct!  The mechanics behind the Rh factor is explained here, and its effects on offspring are explained here

To grossly oversimplify, if the offspring's Rh factor (determined by the genetic dice roll that takes place at fertilization) is incompatible with that of its mother, the mother's immune system may produce an immune response -- the female's IgG antibodies, which can pass through the placenta to the offspring, and the offspring suffers the anemia, jaundice, and other symptoms listed.

The condition is readily detectable and treatable; the treatments are described on the Wikipedia page, and a doctor (and for the record, I'm not a doctor, just a nerd with some basic biology background) will be able to provide far more sound advice on diagnosis and treatment than any of us nuts on the Intarwebs.

I did a little more research about people with this blood type Missy is A- apparently only 6% in the world. Some people almost consider them to be alien,because they have a rare connection with outer space,that  the blood type itself came from The Holy Spirit and was passed on to Jesus Christ.

LOL WUT?

((( Anyone looking for a practical answer to the question can stop reading here.  I answered that in my first paragraph in this post.  But anyone looking to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes... read on!  It was like a train wreck!  I couldn't look away!  )))

If this is coming from off the Intarwebs and it's part of some religion someone's bought into (it sure ain't any version of Christianity I've ever heard of), all well and good, but I'd suggest that any doctor (and I note for the record that you did not claim that your doctor told you this, but there are other people who claim to be "doctors", who do take this seriously) who offers this sort of thing as medical advice is a clear and present danger to their patients.

6. ESP
8. UFO connections

No, really, LOL WUT? 

I was going to say something along the lines of "the stupid, it doesn't just burn, but if any expectant mothers take it seriously, it could kill", but why stop now, just when I'm pounding my head on the desk in frustration at the antics of my fellow hairless apes?  I've seen a lot of dumb things on the 'net, but it's not often that I see a new brand of woo.  So why not dig in deeper and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes?  (It's not like I've got anything else to do on a Saturday night!)

To start, there is no causal relationship between blood type and personality traits.  There is some  Japanese pseudoscience that suggests it, which is probably why modern-day snake-oil salesmen have picked up on it. 

I'll grant that there exist correlations, but correlation does not imply causation.  (It rained today.  I ate pizza last night.  That doesn't mean it rained because I ate pizza last night.  Maybe I just eat a lot of pizza, and it rains a lot on the West Coast of North America this time of year.)  Back to blood type, the correlations exist because 99% of the humans who have ever lived have spent ~13800 of its past ~14000 years living in geographic/cultural isolation from each other.  The Han Chinese have a different distribution of blood types amongst their population than, say, the Swedish Bikini Team, but so what?  The Han Chinese also have 100+ generations of history upon which to guide their actions.  The Swedes have a history that goes back 2-3000 years, but it's a completely different history.  Of course they have different attitudes towards things.)

But how deep does the rabbit hole go?  Well, on a whim, I googled around for some of the phrases in the text file you quoted, and the phrases in that text file seem to appear, verbatim, all over the 'net's skankier corners of pseudoscience. 

As far as I can tell, it looks like the origin of the woo in question may be related to Zecharia Stichin's brand of nutjobbery, a full debunking of which is available here for the debunking.

It looks like Zech's brand of BS got some pickup recently.  Perhaps it has to do with the fact that some of the antivaccionationist nuts may have also grasped onto the Rh- straw, and are trying to discourage patients from receiving the treatments.  (They're also wrong, but for completely different reasons beyond the scope of this post.)

If anyone's doctor (to use the term loosely) is taking this sort of ("OMG, you have A- blood, you're special!) quackery seriously, I would suggest that they run, not walk, out of the office, and get a second opinion from an unbiased medical professional.  Pick two M.D.s (be they general practicioners, family practice, etc.) at random out of the Yellow Pages.  It's no guarantee of evidence-based medicine, but it's a hell of a lot better than quackery.  When you have selected your two random doctors, see them both, ask them the same basic questions, and keep track of where their answers coincide.

I was thinking Tom Cruise.  ;D

Close, but it wasn't L. Ron Hubbard's UFO cult, it was Adolph Hitler's!

( O RLY? )

YA RLY.

It kinda stopped being funny when I found the most likely root of the theory.  A relatively unbiased explanation of the Nazi mythology regarding aliens and blood type can be found here, but the scariest thing was seeing what Google returned when asked to search for "Blood type" nazi UFO.  (Hey, now that was something I didn't think I'd be googling today!)

We interrupt this post for an...

Obligatory Pop Culture Reference:  The industrial ambient/noise album Nazi UFO Commander.  This is not Nazi music -- just an album of dark industrial ambient noise by a bunch of geeks who fell down the same rabbit hole that I just did -- man, I wish I'd found this two days ago in time for Hallowe'en, because it's a spooky recording, definitely not for the fainthearted :)

...back to our story!

I'd speculate that the Nazis got the idea about the A- blood type and "aliens" (this was, after all, something that can be used to differentiate isolated genetic populations, and if you were a Nazi researcher, being able to differentiate yourself from someone of Jewish descent wasn't merely a good career move, it might have been a lifesaver!) from their WW2 allies, namely the Japanese.  The resulting BS somehow subsequently filtered its way from Nazi occultism into pop culture over the intervening 50-60 years. 

Suggested ongoing reading:  Respectful Insolence, paying particular attention on Fridays to the blogger's weekly debunking of pseudoscientific woo.  It won't directly address your issues, but it will help you program your own BS detector to better evaluate some of the BS that's out there on the web. 

But back in the real world, which is probably the part you're interested in:  The risks to your upcoming granddaughter, although real, have been well-understood for the past 70 years, and are readily manageable and treatable by competent medical professionals.  Talk to your doctor.  He/she'll probably do some blood tests.  On the basis of those results, he/she might recommend some treatment.  If the risk of doing nothing is high, he/she will suggest treatments, which will be much lower-risk than doing nothing.  The treatments are generally low-risk, and their prognosis is good.  I'm not a doctor nor am I an insurance company, but I'd wager good money that the insurance company will gladly pay for it (it's sound medicine and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than dealing with the consequences of doing nothing), and that the outcome for the offspring will be good.

There is no need to resort to mysticism or pseudoscience -- on the one-in-a-million chance that anyone's doctor actually takes that "sensitive to UFOs" mishmash of 19th-century Japanese pseudoscience, WW2-era Nazi occultism, and Disco-era New Age quackery seriously, the solution is simple -- find a doctor who practices evidence-based medicine. 

Meanwhile, your post has led me on an amusing dive into the deep end of woo that took me from an initial "LOL WUT", to some random ancient-astronaut hokum, all the way to the depths of Nazi UFO cults.  Karma for an awesome ride! 

Written By: ninny on 11/02/08 at 4:37 am

http://www.myusm.com/usm370628.html

Written By: ninny on 11/02/08 at 4:59 am

Correct!  The mechanics behind the Rh factor is explained here, and its effects on offspring are explained here

To grossly oversimplify, if the offspring's Rh factor (determined by the genetic dice roll that takes place at fertilization) is incompatible with that of its mother, the mother's immune system may produce an immune response -- the female's IgG antibodies, which can pass through the placenta to the offspring, and the offspring suffers the anemia, jaundice, and other symptoms listed.

The condition is readily detectable and treatable; the treatments are described on the Wikipedia page, and a doctor (and for the record, I'm not a doctor, just a nerd with some basic biology background) will be able to provide far more sound advice on diagnosis and treatment than any of us nuts on the Intarwebs.

LOL WUT?

((( Anyone looking for a practical answer to the question can stop reading here.  I answered that in my first paragraph in this post.  But anyone looking to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes... read on!  It was like a train wreck!  I couldn't look away!  )))

If this is coming from off the Intarwebs and it's part of some religion someone's bought into (it sure ain't any version of Christianity I've ever heard of), all well and good, but I'd suggest that any doctor (and I note for the record that you did not claim that your doctor told you this, but there are other people who claim to be "doctors", who do take this seriously) who offers this sort of thing as medical advice is a clear and present danger to their patients.

No, really, LOL WUT? 

I was going to say something along the lines of "the stupid, it doesn't just burn, but if any expectant mothers take it seriously, it could kill", but why stop now, just when I'm pounding my head on the desk in frustration at the antics of my fellow hairless apes?  I've seen a lot of dumb things on the 'net, but it's not often that I see a new brand of woo.  So why not dig in deeper and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes?  (It's not like I've got anything else to do on a Saturday night!)

To start, there is no causal relationship between blood type and personality traits.  There is some  Japanese pseudoscience that suggests it, which is probably why modern-day snake-oil salesmen have picked up on it. 

I'll grant that there exist correlations, but correlation does not imply causation.  (It rained today.  I ate pizza last night.  That doesn't mean it rained because I ate pizza last night.  Maybe I just eat a lot of pizza, and it rains a lot on the West Coast of North America this time of year.)  Back to blood type, the correlations exist because 99% of the humans who have ever lived have spent ~13800 of its past ~14000 years living in geographic/cultural isolation from each other.  The Han Chinese have a different distribution of blood types amongst their population than, say, the Swedish Bikini Team, but so what?  The Han Chinese also have 100+ generations of history upon which to guide their actions.  The Swedes have a history that goes back 2-3000 years, but it's a completely different history.  Of course they have different attitudes towards things.)

But how deep does the rabbit hole go?  Well, on a whim, I googled around for some of the phrases in the text file you quoted, and the phrases in that text file seem to appear, verbatim, all over the 'net's skankier corners of pseudoscience. 

As far as I can tell, it looks like the origin of the woo in question may be related to Zecharia Stichin's brand of nutjobbery, a full debunking of which is available here for the debunking.

It looks like Zech's brand of BS got some pickup recently.  Perhaps it has to do with the fact that some of the antivaccionationist nuts may have also grasped onto the Rh- straw, and are trying to discourage patients from receiving the treatments.  (They're also wrong, but for completely different reasons beyond the scope of this post.)

If anyone's doctor (to use the term loosely) is taking this sort of ("OMG, you have A- blood, you're special!) quackery seriously, I would suggest that they run, not walk, out of the office, and get a second opinion from an unbiased medical professional.  Pick two M.D.s (be they general practicioners, family practice, etc.) at random out of the Yellow Pages.  It's no guarantee of evidence-based medicine, but it's a hell of a lot better than quackery.  When you have selected your two random doctors, see them both, ask them the same basic questions, and keep track of where their answers coincide.

Close, but it wasn't L. Ron Hubbard's UFO cult, it was Adolph Hitler's!

( O RLY? )

YA RLY.

It kinda stopped being funny when I found the most likely root of the theory.  A relatively unbiased explanation of the Nazi mythology regarding aliens and blood type can be found here, but the scariest thing was seeing what Google returned when asked to search for "Blood type" nazi UFO.  (Hey, now that was something I didn't think I'd be googling today!)

We interrupt this post for an...

Obligatory Pop Culture Reference:  The industrial ambient/noise album Nazi UFO Commander.  This is not Nazi music -- just an album of dark industrial ambient noise by a bunch of geeks who fell down the same rabbit hole that I just did -- man, I wish I'd found this two days ago in time for Hallowe'en, because it's a spooky recording, definitely not for the fainthearted :)

...back to our story!

I'd speculate that the Nazis got the idea about the A- blood type and "aliens" (this was, after all, something that can be used to differentiate isolated genetic populations, and if you were a Nazi researcher, being able to differentiate yourself from someone of Jewish descent wasn't merely a good career move, it might have been a lifesaver!) from their WW2 allies, namely the Japanese.  The resulting BS somehow subsequently filtered its way from Nazi occultism into pop culture over the intervening 50-60 years. 

Suggested ongoing reading:  Respectful Insolence, paying particular attention on Fridays to the blogger's weekly debunking of pseudoscientific woo.  It won't directly address your issues, but it will help you program your own BS detector to better evaluate some of the BS that's out there on the web. 

But back in the real world, which is probably the part you're interested in:  The risks to your upcoming granddaughter, although real, have been well-understood for the past 70 years, and are readily manageable and treatable by competent medical professionals.  Talk to your doctor.  He/she'll probably do some blood tests.  On the basis of those results, he/she might recommend some treatment.  If the risk of doing nothing is high, he/she will suggest treatments, which will be much lower-risk than doing nothing.  The treatments are generally low-risk, and their prognosis is good.  I'm not a doctor nor am I an insurance company, but I'd wager good money that the insurance company will gladly pay for it (it's sound medicine and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than dealing with the consequences of doing nothing), and that the outcome for the offspring will be good.

There is no need to resort to mysticism or pseudoscience -- on the one-in-a-million chance that anyone's doctor actually takes that "sensitive to UFOs" mishmash of 19th-century Japanese pseudoscience, WW2-era Nazi occultism, and Disco-era New Age quackery seriously, the solution is simple -- find a doctor who practices evidence-based medicine. 

Meanwhile, your post has led me on an amusing dive into the deep end of woo that took me from an initial "LOL WUT", to some random ancient-astronaut hokum, all the way to the depths of Nazi UFO cults.  Karma for an awesome ride! 

Thanks for all the info. Your right Missy's doctor never wnt into any detail,he just said at 27 weeks she would do more blood work and get a shot. I decided to due some own research after talking to my sister-in-law. I had read the articles in Wikipedia,but tried to see were the RH-negative factor originated and then tried to see if any famous people had it. This lead me to some interesting reading
http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200807/1216205419.html
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?s=cfd6c18461793f55e96e5c4efe22929e&showtopic=41404&pid=2305588&st=30&#entry2305588
www.myusm.com/usm370628.html
Last night I was at a function and the lady across from me is RH- negative,and she has 4 healthy boys,so I'm a little more at ease.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/02/08 at 5:43 am

Thanks for all the info. Your right Missy's doctor never wnt into any detail,he just said at 27 weeks she would do more blood work and get a shot. I decided to due some own research after talking to my sister-in-law. I had read the articles in Wikipedia,but tried to see were the RH-negative factor originated and then tried to see if any famous people had it. This lead me to some interesting reading
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?s=cfd6c18461793f55e96e5c4efe22929e&showtopic=41404&pid=2305588&st=30&#entry2305588
Last night I was at a function and the lady across from me is RH- negative,and she has 4 healthy boys,so I'm a little more at ease.
You really should not be worried - RH- is not a disease or anything bad (just do not have the proteins on the surface of the red blood cell). Millions of people are RH-
I have 2 beautiful girls and a husband (we are all RH-) No unusual abnormalities.....

Missy will be fine.  To quote kids health "Rh incompatibility usually isn't a problem if it's the mother's first pregnancy because, unless there's some sort of abnormality, the fetus's blood does not normally enter the mother's circulatory system during the course of the pregnancy.

However, during delivery, the mother's and baby's blood can intermingle. If this happens, the mother's body recognizes the Rh protein as a foreign substance and can begin producing antibodies (protein molecules in the immune system that recognize, and later work to destroy, foreign substances) against the Rh proteins introduced into her blood.

Other ways Rh-negative pregnant women can be exposed to the Rh protein that might cause antibody production include blood transfusions with Rh-positive blood, miscarriage, and ectopic pregnancy.

Rh antibodies are harmless until the mother's second or later pregnancies. If she is ever carrying another Rh-positive child, her Rh antibodies will recognize the Rh proteins on the surface of the baby's blood cells as foreign, and pass into the baby's bloodstream and attack those cells. This can lead to swelling and rupture of the baby's red blood cells. A baby's blood count can get dangerously low when this condition, known as hemolytic or Rh disease of the newborn, occurs."

So being that it is Missy's first child you have even less to worry about - but she needs to get the immuno-globulen shot (to suppress the antibodies from being formed) so she can have future children without having to worry about her body rejecting those..... Unless as the case of my husband and I, we are both RH-, so our children were 100% RH-, I never got the shot because there was no way, no how that the children were going to be RH+ .....

Just have her get the shot , the RH thing is nothing it is just like if you are A, B, O, AB - just another blood type...

Written By: ninny on 11/02/08 at 6:39 am

You really should not be worried - RH- is not a disease or anything bad (just do not have the proteins on the surface of the red blood cell). Millions of people are RH-
I have 2 beautiful girls and a husband (we are all RH-) No unusual abnormalities.....

Missy will be fine.  To quote kids health "Rh incompatibility usually isn't a problem if it's the mother's first pregnancy because, unless there's some sort of abnormality, the fetus's blood does not normally enter the mother's circulatory system during the course of the pregnancy.

However, during delivery, the mother's and baby's blood can intermingle. If this happens, the mother's body recognizes the Rh protein as a foreign substance and can begin producing antibodies (protein molecules in the immune system that recognize, and later work to destroy, foreign substances) against the Rh proteins introduced into her blood.

Other ways Rh-negative pregnant women can be exposed to the Rh protein that might cause antibody production include blood transfusions with Rh-positive blood, miscarriage, and ectopic pregnancy.

Rh antibodies are harmless until the mother's second or later pregnancies. If she is ever carrying another Rh-positive child, her Rh antibodies will recognize the Rh proteins on the surface of the baby's blood cells as foreign, and pass into the baby's bloodstream and attack those cells. This can lead to swelling and rupture of the baby's red blood cells. A baby's blood count can get dangerously low when this condition, known as hemolytic or Rh disease of the newborn, occurs."

So being that it is Missy's first child you have even less to worry about - but she needs to get the immuno-globulen shot (to suppress the antibodies from being formed) so she can have future children without having to worry about her body rejecting those..... Unless as the case of my husband and I, we are both RH-, so our children were 100% RH-, I never got the shot because there was no way, no how that the children were going to be RH+ .....

Just have her get the shot , the RH thing is nothing it is just like if you are A, B, O, AB - just another blood type...

Thanks,yes getting her the shot will be the best thing for her.After talking to different people,I am not as worried as before.I was told that Missy should get a card with this information on it,so if anything ever happened she would not get the wrong blood type in a transfusion.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/02/08 at 7:25 am

Thanks,yes getting her the shot will be the best thing for her.After talking to different people,I am not as worried as before.I was told that Missy should get a card with this information on it,so if anything ever happened she would not get the wrong blood type in a transfusion.
As everyone should have a card so as to not get the wrong blood type!  If anyone donates blood, they blood type you and then send you a card....and it may save a life!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/03/08 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the info. Your right Missy's doctor never wnt into any detail,he just said at 27 weeks she would do more blood work and get a shot.

Basically, yeah.  The doctor's dilemma is that if he explains everything, the patient might misunderstand the explanation, which could lead to a patient being terrified over a minor problem, or conversely, to a patient taking no action even in the face of a serious problem.  In general, you'll do reasonably well by following doctor's orders whether you understand 'em or not.  Humans are bad at statistics -- if there's a 99% chance that the doctor's right about a matter concerning their health, they'll stay up all night worrying about "what if" they're in the 1% that's the exception to the rule.  Meanwhile, they'll happily get into a car and drive to the doctor's office, which is a hell of a much greater risk to life and limb than most medical conditions. 

I decided to due some own research after talking to my sister-in-law. I had read the articles in Wikipedia,but tried to see were the RH-negative factor originated and then tried to see if any famous people had it. This lead me to some interesting reading

You keep using this word "research".  I do not think that it means what you think it means. :)

0) What do "famous people" have to do with anything?  When I need my car fixed, I go to a mechanic, not a celebrity.  (Or at least, I google around automotive enthusiast message boards, rather than seeing if any celebrities still own my particular vehicle...)

1) "free-press-release.com" and "unexplained-mysteries.com".  Read those domain names out loud.  But to play along (and because argumentum ad hominem is a logical fallacy, so I can't just get away with mocking the domain names), I read the advertisement, which started at "Rh-negative blood is more than just a blood type according to Rh-negative thinktank, Joshua David, an Oral Roberts University alumni"

*boggle*

If it's medical science you're after, you can stop reading there.  The tax dodge set up by televangelist Oral Roberts, (the huckster behind "If you don't send me enough money to build a 900-Foot-Jesus statue, I'm gonna die!" scam) is an unlikely source of medical research.  That's not argumentum ad hominem, that's a fact:  ORU is a religious institution, not a medical one.

2) The unexplained-mysteries.com and myusm.com sites:  Shows like Unexplained/Unsolved Mysteries are entertainment programming, not educational or scientific.  Its viewers are likely to be skewed towards believers in pseudoscience and mysticism, and away from medical doctors.  Nothing wrong with such a website if you're looking for banter about funny ghost stories and wacky conspiracy theories, but again, it's not the sort of place you'd want to go for medical information. 

"It seems to me what is called for is an exquisite balance between two conflicting needs: the most skeptical scrutiny of all hypotheses that are served up to us and at the same time a great openness to new ideas. ... If you are only skeptical, then no new ideas make it through to you. ... On the other hand, if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense in you, then you cannot distinguish the useful ideas from the worthless ones." 
  - Carl Sagan, 1987.

You are a member of a species that named itself homo sapiens (lit. "human, thinking") owing to its capacity for rational thought.  Your brain came with a built-in baloney detector, all you need to do is calibrate it.

As you should be -- 2kidsami has done a great job explaining what's going on, and much better than I did.  I'm more of a theory geek - the body is a fascinating machine, here's how we learned how it works, here's what happens when parts of it break down, and here's how we know how to fix it when that happens, and why we know our fixes are likely to work - whereas anyone with a message board nickname like "2kidsami" has gotta have some practical experience with the matters at hand :)

If there's any lesson to be learned here, it's that just because a search engine returns something first, doesn't mean it's factual or even useful. 

To learn how to fix a car, you go to a web site written by mechanics.  Rather than press releases from Oral Roberts alums and TV shows, may I humbly suggest you give WebMD a try? :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/03/08 at 9:19 pm

As you should be -- 2kidsami has done a great job explaining what's going on, and much better than I did.  I'm more of a theory geek - the body is a fascinating machine, here's how we learned how it works, here's what happens when parts of it break down, and here's how we know how to fix it when that happens, and why we know our fixes are likely to work - whereas anyone with a message board nickname like "2kidsami" has gotta have some practical experience with the matters at hand :)

If there's any lesson to be learned here, it's that just because a search engine returns something first, doesn't mean it's factual or even useful. 

To learn how to fix a car, you go to a web site written by mechanics.  Rather than press releases from Oral Roberts alums and TV shows, may I humbly suggest you give WebMD a try? :)
Why thanks Foo Bar (I had to get my husband a fubar for Christmas last year ;))  I could have went to the nickname Agtchrami - but people then assume that all I know about is farming, and the fact is I am full of science information, as agriculture uses all sciences (anatomy and physiology of various animals, meteorology, chemistry, biology, physics.....etc...) I am a science geek as well, but I guess I am a parent firs - Karma

Written By: Tam on 11/03/08 at 10:07 pm

Well, I am B- and I guess there are a few quirky things about me, but I am pretty sure I am not alien. lol

There are some strange things I have to do though. Like if I need surgery, I have to start about 3 months before donating my own blood to myself, I can't take any other type of blood, although apparently I can donate to anyone? (I think I remember this being told to me...)

I scar very easily.

I bruise even easier.

My eyes are warm brown, but when I get mad you can see a ring of blue around the outside.

I am not anemic, however I have poor circulation in my hands and feet. If my feet get cold, the rest of me follows suit.

My white blood cells are always over active. Like my immune system is in overdrive, trying to fight off infections when none are present. Because of this, my right lymph node is the size of a swollen kidney bean. It doesn't work anymore, so when I do get an infection or virus, the nodes below my "Adams apple area" enlarge and work. (Doctors have tested my lymph node, to be sure that it is benign, and of course it always comes back perfect!)

That's all I can really think of right now. I might give my mom a call and see if she remembers anything else. She thought she had a freak for a kid when I was born because of all of this. Little did she know that I enjoy being a freak! ;) It makes me one of a kind 8)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/03/08 at 11:08 pm

Well, I am B- and I guess there are a few quirky things about me, but I am pretty sure I am not alien. lol

There are some strange things I have to do though. Like if I need surgery, I have to start about 3 months before donating my own blood to myself, I can't take any other type of blood, although apparently I can donate to anyone? (I think I remember this being told to me...)

I scar very easily.

I bruise even easier.

My eyes are warm brown, but when I get mad you can see a ring of blue around the outside.

I am not anemic, however I have poor circulation in my hands and feet. If my feet get cold, the rest of me follows suit.

My white blood cells are always over active. Like my immune system is in overdrive, trying to fight off infections when none are present. Because of this, my right lymph node is the size of a swollen kidney bean. It doesn't work anymore, so when I do get an infection or virus, the nodes below my "Adams apple area" enlarge and work. (Doctors have tested my lymph node, to be sure that it is benign, and of course it always comes back perfect!)

That's all I can really think of right now. I might give my mom a call and see if she remembers anything else. She thought she had a freak for a kid when I was born because of all of this. Little did she know that I enjoy being a freak! ;) It makes me one of a kind 8)

Hey Tam,  I've had problems with my lymph nodes from day one.  I've had two removed because of swelling (antibiotic resistant) one from my groin and one from my neck.  The one in my groin was Cat Scratch Fever and the neck they have no clue as to what caused it.  Also does your skin take on a sort of orangish tint when your cold?

Written By: Tam on 11/03/08 at 11:26 pm

Hey Tam,  I've had problems with my lymph nodes from day one.  I've had two removed because of swelling (antibiotic resistant) one from my groin and one from my neck.  The one in my groin was Cat Scratch Fever and the neck they have no clue as to what caused it.  Also does your skin take on a sort of orangish tint when your cold?

Funny thing! I had cat scratch fever when I was younger! The nodes in my armpits were affected the most but I didn't have to have any removed.

Nope, no skin color changes as of yet - but I am supposed to keep an eye on it because of (I am probably going to get it wrong) Raynoz disease? Something about them possibly turning blue and purple or yellow and orange? And not just light shades - I mean the deepest hues of these colors. Not looking forward to the treatment if this ever happens *knocks on wood*. Does that happen to you?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/03/08 at 11:33 pm

Funny thing! I had cat scratch fever when I was younger! The nodes in my armpits were affected the most but I didn't have to have any removed.

Nope, no skin color changes as of yet - but I am supposed to keep an eye on it because of (I am probably going to get it wrong) Raynoz disease? Something about them possibly turning blue and purple or yellow and orange? And not just light shades - I mean the deepest hues of these colors. Not looking forward to the treatment if this ever happens *knocks on wood*. Does that happen to you?

When I'm really cold I get bright orange splotches and my fingernails and lips turn blue.  I also have low blood pressure and normally run a low body temperature.

Written By: Tam on 11/03/08 at 11:36 pm

When I'm really cold I get bright orange splotches and my fingernails and lips turn blue.  I also have low blood pressure and normally run a low body temperature.

I am going to send you a pm ;)

Written By: ninny on 11/04/08 at 6:48 am

I scar very easily.

I bruise even easier.

Thanks for sharing :) Those were real interesting facts..I know that Missy has Hazel eyes,but they do change sometimes to a  blue grayish color.She was anemic when she had bad periods,but is not now. I asked her if she felt any connection to outer space,her answer"Uh No" ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/04/08 at 6:57 am

So you could cast easily for an oompa lookmpa  ;D  They just need to keep the set cold..... That is very neat ;)

Written By: karen on 11/04/08 at 7:10 am

That'd be Reynaud's disease.  My mum had that for years.  It can be hereditary.

Written By: ninny on 11/04/08 at 9:19 am

Wow those are some interesting symptoms,I'll have to keep asking Missy if she has any of these .

Written By: ninny on 11/04/08 at 9:24 am

That'd be Reynaud's disease.  My mum had that for years.  It can be hereditary.

Thank You :)
I found some interesting reading on Wikipedia on the difference between Raynauds disease and Raynauds phenomenon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_disease#Disease_vs._phenomenon

Written By: karen on 11/04/08 at 9:34 am

Thank You :)
I found some interesting reading on Wikipedia on the difference between Raynauds disease and Raynauds phenomenon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_disease#Disease_vs._phenomenon

Aah.  Reading that it looks like my mum had phenomenon because she also had SLE (lupus) and had the necrotising problems.  She had gangrene in both little fingers for a while (though thankfully it didn't spread and was cured without her needing an amputation or anything).

Written By: ninny on 11/04/08 at 10:08 am

Aah.   Reading that it looks like my mum had phenomenon because she also had SLE (lupus) and had the necrotising problems.  She had gangrene in both little fingers for a while (though thankfully it didn't spread and was cured without her needing an amputation or anything).

Yes,Thank God she did not need to have them amputated.

Written By: Tam on 11/04/08 at 10:36 am

Well, I talked to my mom this morning and it turns out I had one little fact incorrect. I can take B- or O- blood. But because the B- is the best, they make me donate before surgery.

I sent Kathie info on Raynaud's disease as well last night in my pm to her. I don't have it yet, but my Grandmother had it and my father is showing signs of it. Of course, I take a lot of homeopathic vitamins, but who's to say that they bear any affect on my blood vessels and such? ???

Mom also said that when I was little, I wouldn't talk normally. Umm, the tone I used was a little lower than a scream. She had me at the doctors all the time because she thought I had inner ear problems or infections, but the tests always came back normal. Eventually I talked in normal tones, but even sometimes now I catch myself talking a bit louder than normal. Perhaps I just demand to be heard? ;D

There are a couple other things my mother told me, but they are really creepy and kind of repulsive, so I don't feel the need to put it out there. ;)

Written By: karen on 11/04/08 at 11:09 am

My mum took Gingko Bilbao (sp?.  It is supposed to help circulation

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/04/08 at 4:44 pm

My mum took Gingko Bilbao (sp?.  It is supposed to help circulation

That and Cinnamon.  I take it in pill form, it helps a little.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/04/08 at 4:48 pm

So you could cast easily for an oompa lookmpa  ;D  They just need to keep the set cold..... That is very neat ;)

Neat especially when your extremity tingle and you shiver so hard your muscles cramp up.  That's only after being outside in 30 degree weather for 30 minutes in full winter gear.

Written By: Marian on 12/10/08 at 7:35 pm

As everyone should have a card so as to not get the wrong blood type!  If anyone donates blood, they blood type you and then send you a card....and it may save a life!
i have AB+,so i'm pretty safe as far as i know.

Check for new replies or respond here...