inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Suggested Serial Killer Reading Material From The Asylum.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/19/09 at 12:37 pm

So for years I have been interested in reading Tales of America's Serial Killer. I am actually more interested I think in the human mind. I take Psychology in College in an attempt to learn more.  Well, I was wondering if some of my friends here on the boards might be able to suggest some reading material related to Serial Killers, and give a brief summary of the book or perpetrator.  It can be from anywhere not just the US.  Thanks in advance.

Subject: Re: Suggested Serial Killer Reading Material From The Asylum.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/09 at 12:49 pm

One of the best books to start reading on Jack Ripper is  Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution by Stephen Knight.

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/19/09 at 12:53 pm

I thank You Mr. Eno for your assistance. Karma for you, even though I am helping you maintain you dwindling lead over me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/09 at 12:55 pm

I thank You Mr. Eno for your assistance. Karma for you, even though I am helping you maintain you dwindling lead over me.
There is an Encyclopedia (A to Z) of Jack The Ripper that explains everything, I will try and find the authors' name

Written By: Tia on 04/19/09 at 12:56 pm

So for years I have been interested in reading Tales of America's Serial Killer. I am actually more interested I think in the human mind. I take Psychology in College in an attempt to learn more.  Well, I was wondering if some of my friends here on the boards might be able to suggest some reading material related to Serial Killers, and give a brief summary of the book or perpetrator.  It can be from anywhere not just the US.  Thanks in advance.
i got sucked up into, of all things, a fudgeing coffee table book about cannibalism in the bookstore yesterday. all sorts of fun stuff about horrible sex murders! hooray!

http://www.amazon.com/History-Cannibalism-Cultures-Survival-Psychopaths/dp/0785821589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240163689&sr=8-1

plus you get to own a coffee table book about cannibalism. which is fun. it also had tons of stuff about ritualistic cannibalism in the ancient world, cannibalism in war zones, cannibalism in exploratory parties. cannibalism! cannibalism! cannibalism! it's hard to get enough. a few hours later, you're just hungry again.

Written By: Jessica on 04/19/09 at 1:15 pm

Let me ask my sister.  She's into all that stuff.

Personal preference: I've always liked "Helter Skelter" by Vincent Bugliosi.

Edited to add: I know it's not exactly serial killer in nature, but it is still a fascinating case.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/19/09 at 1:33 pm

Never read it, but it looks interesting

Face to face with serial killers : my conversations with the world's most evil men / Christopher Berry-Dee.
by Berry-Dee, Christopher
London, England : John Blake, 2007.

------------------------------------------------
The murder reference : everything you never wanted to know about murder in America / Maureen Harrison & Steve Gilbert, editors.
Add to my list
San Diego, Calif. : Excellent Books, c1996.
----------------------------------------

Murder, an analysis of its forms, conditions, and causes / by Gerhard Falk.
by Falk, Gerhard, 1931-
Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, c1990.
----------------------------

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/19/09 at 5:24 pm

Let me ask my sister.  She's into all that stuff.

Personal preference: I've always liked "Helter Skelter" by Vincent Bugliosi.

Edited to add: I know it's not exactly serial killer in nature, but it is still a fascinating case.

I really enjoyed Helter Skelter as well. I have also seen the specials and such discussing it. Another interesting case was Jim Jones and the Poison Kool-Aid.  Just that somebody like these to could control people and convince them to follow their wishes.

Written By: La Roche on 04/19/09 at 5:39 pm

I enjoyed Born Evil, it's all about Hadden Clark, I believe he's only ever been charged with 2 murders, but by his own account (and the police seem to believe him) he's killed a good 15+ people. He liked to eat them and even used parts of humans as fish bait.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/20/09 at 12:02 pm

This isn't a book, but a website, with in-depth stories about all kinds of criminals, including serial killers.  I think it's really fascinating.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/index.html

Written By: Big Nasty on 04/20/09 at 8:23 pm

I like the Ann Rule Book, The Stranger Beside Me.  I also have but have not read her book, The Green River Killer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/09 at 9:14 am

Do not bother the "Patricia Cornwell book Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed" I could not get into it.

Check for new replies or respond here...