inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Comfort" books, films, etc

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/10/11 at 12:55 pm

Many people have a "comfort food", that either makes them feel as per the name, comfortable, or brings back some feeling or memory, unconscious or not, of happier times--Many of us have a food that comforts us when we need it.

However, do you have any other objects of comfort? Films, books, games, video games, etc?

For example, I love the movie The Lost World: Jurassic Park. No matter how many times I watch it, it brings me great comfort and reminds me of when I was a kid, around age 6, 7, when I first watched it. I can look past it's flaws I guess due to nostalgia, or due to it being so great for me personally, and it just brings me back to those happier times when I feel down.

Another comfort movie, despite it's immense flaws and general hatred, for me, is Kazaam. It reminds me of the time in which it came out--1996. Lots of good memories of that era, and that movie brings them all back for me.

Similarly, the King's Quest series of computer games reminds me of even earlier time--1995, which is when I first played them--and no matter how many times I play them, I get that giddy feeling as I did when I was a kid, even though the games in many ways are outdated due to their age.

Subject: Re: "Comfort" books, films, etc

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/11 at 1:03 pm

Movies...Dr Zhivago, A Taste Of Honey, The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner,

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/15/11 at 6:43 pm

Movies-Singin in the Rain, Dirty Dancing, Sleeping Beauty.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/15/11 at 8:33 pm

Movies: The Last Starfighter.
Music: The entire Front By Front album, Front 242.
Books: The Illuminatus Trilogy.
Games: Fallout 1, 2, 3, and I'm sure New Vegas, once the bugs get worked out.

If my video gaming can't qualify me to hop onto a spaceship and fly away from the wasteland, at least it lets me revel in it :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/15/11 at 10:04 pm

Most of the books I find comforting are children's books, ones that I had as a kid that I've gotten for my kids.

George and Martha
Christina Katerina and the Box
The House on East 88th Street
Gus was a Friendly Ghost

I find Christmas music by Perry Como, Andy Williams and Nat King Cole very comforting too.  Reminds me of my childhood. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/11 at 5:23 pm

Rosamunde Pilcher, the author, is extremely comforting to me.  Reading her books makes me feel like I'm wrapped up in a big quilt.

For comfort, I like to listen to Crosby, Stills, and Nash, or Bob Marley.

My favorite comfort movies are "The Princess Bride," "Fried Green Tomatoes," and "Alice in Wonderland."

Written By: Step-chan on 11/22/11 at 10:05 pm

Movies: Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer, Cheech and Chong movies, One Crazy Summer and Troop Beverly Hills among others.
Music: Nirvana and Weird Al in general, lately I've also been listening to songs like the Mummers Dance too.
Books: Comics like Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County and Ranma 1/2
Games: Dragon Quest series

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/11 at 6:07 am

Remains of the Day

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/11 at 8:11 pm

Captain January

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpqt3zgdYUw

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/11 at 8:23 pm

Anything Shirley Temple, really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzr2TplpgEQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCFYpWDmfM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxY3neqqBA&feature=related

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/11 at 8:58 pm

http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4dfbb70e49e2ae7c05020000-400-300/the-joy-of-sex-the-ultimate-revised-edition-by-alex-comfort.jpg
:-\\

Written By: Howard on 11/26/11 at 6:40 am

http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4dfbb70e49e2ae7c05020000-400-300/the-joy-of-sex-the-ultimate-revised-edition-by-alex-comfort.jpg
:-\\

I read it for the photos.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/11 at 7:43 pm

I read it for the photos.  :D

They're illustrations, Howard.  Updated in later editions so they wouldn't look like hairy hippies!
;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/01/11 at 11:20 am

Not cute and sweet but two movies that make think of good times are Men in Black and Independence Day.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/12/12 at 6:32 pm

Books - My Time-Life Civil War series, a book that was written by my uncle and anything by Judy Blume.
Music - Paul Davis, The Corries and Clannad
Movies - The Anne of Green Gables specials that were made for Canadian TV.  Anything with Fred Astaire in it.

Written By: warped on 12/12/12 at 8:08 pm

Music: 70s Genesis and Pink Floyd.
Movies: Anything very funny
TV shows: Get Smart, Brady Bunch

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/12 at 2:00 pm

Music: Too much to list here.
Movies: 1776, Casablanca, Trading Places
T.V. Shows: M*A*S*H, Dark Shadows
Books: Harry Potter

Many, many many moons ago, I would have said any book by Jude Deveraux but since I am living my own romance, I don't need to read about it.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 12/14/12 at 7:47 pm

Movies - The Anne of Green Gables specials that were made for Canadian TV.  Anything with Fred Astaire in it.

Loved loved loved these as a child and still do! Also love the books.

Comfort books: P and P by Jane Austen, LOTR trilogy, and both Maia and Watership Down by Richard Adams.
Comfort movie: Birdcage or Rear Window (original version)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/30/12 at 1:41 pm

--The First Two Thin Man movies
--Anything Jimmy Stewart that's not a western
--Early Bette Davis (anything before All About Eve--and All About Eve)
--Gone with the Wind, when I have FIVE hours to waste.
--Anne of Green Gables movies.
--My MJ love songs play list.
--Baby Sitter's Club Books, Goosebumps Books, Sweet  Valley Twins books (I lived by these as a kid)
--And anything I've written, as I've penned over forty short stories.  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 12/30/12 at 4:24 pm

Books: How The Grinch Stole Christmas, Yertle The Turtle (Luckily I've had children and grandchildren to read to.)

Movies: Strange Brew, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, History Of The World Pt.1.

Music: The Rolling Stones, Neil Young and  Barry Manilow  :-[ (I don't know if this forum is the right place for an explanation.)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...