inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tell us your UFO/alien stories

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:49 am

Im very curious to hear!!! What are your experiences? Were they positive?

Subject: Re: Tell us your UFO/alien stories

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/07/11 at 9:30 am

i was standing alone in a field - i didn't know why i was there - just kinda woke up there - but woke up standing - it was nighttime, i didn't know what time, but it was dark - the stars were out, not a cloud in the sky, no moon - my left ear hurt like i just left a concert and had been listening to loud noise for a long time - i had no clothes on - my hands were semi-numb as i felt all over my body for signs of injury, bleeding, etc.  i was in tremendous pain all over but it was no pain i'd ever felt before - my bones felt broken, my skin felt burned, my blood felt poisoned - i start screaming for help, but no sound comes out - my vocal cords had been removed - i turned around and saw ALF standing there - he asked me if i was okay - i said i was fine, we talked for a long time - we walked around that field until morning, turns out it was just my back yard - i never felt so alone

Written By: wildcard on 07/07/11 at 11:25 am

^ sounds like the kinds of things I use to dream about,  totally weird, and no since. 

Written By: wildcard on 07/07/11 at 2:00 pm

in my sleep when I was young I'd get dreams where a lot of times I'd be naked and cant walk.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/07/11 at 2:02 pm

in my sleep when I was young I'd get dreams where a lot of times I'd be naked and cant walk.

Sound like an abduction to me, for sure.

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/23/11 at 8:10 pm

I saw a UFO in 1988 when I was eight years old. Those who didn't see it tried to calm me down by telling me it was an airplane of course, and the horrible noise was some near by ships arriving  ::)

If there's anyone interested in reading more about my experience just ask me. They were kind of deep so I can't just post it here even though I'd really like to.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/11 at 7:29 pm

I must have been about nine.  It was a clear day at our home in NH.  I spotted small, round object hovering in the sky.  It was about the size of a pea from where I was standing.  My sister saw it too.  I think it was just a weather balloon.

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/31/11 at 7:22 pm

The one I saw was square shaped, to this day I wonder why was it shaped like that? I've never seen a round UFO, well only in pictures and videos pf course.

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 07/09/12 at 11:20 pm

One night standing in my backyard I saw a small light descending from a great height in a "falling-leaf" pattern until it disappeared over the horizon.  I turned and saw three bright lights arranged in a triangle (it seemed like a single craft with three lights on it) gliding slowly and silently over my neighborhood, just over the rooftops and only a couple of blocks away.  They went over the horizon where the other light had gone. 

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 07/26/12 at 2:24 am

I was sitting on my porch early this morning (about 6:00 am) when a round black object started rising quickly into the air from beyond the treeline.  I thought it was a helium balloon at first but it rose straight up to a great height and then changed direction and started hightailing it across the sky in a straight line at a pretty fast clip, not drifting like a balloon but traveling at a constant rate of speed like an airplane.  I got up and watched it until it finally disappeared in the distance.  I have no idea what the hell it was.

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 08/07/12 at 2:45 am

I just thought of another one.  Back in my younger days me and the guys used to drive down this secluded oil road that went way back in the sticks, park by the side of the road between two cattle gates, and drink beer.  One night we were out there when a small red blinking light started coming slowly toward us up the road.  It was about five or six feet off the ground, traveling in a straight line at a steady speed, blinking on and off at regular intervals.  About fifty feet from us it stopped, seemingly in reaction to our presence, and hovered for a few moments.  Then it turned at a right angle and floated through a barbed-wire fence and out across the pasture--again in a straight line--until it was out of sight.  Needless to say, none of us had any idea what it was.

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/07/12 at 7:05 am

Sounds like a car's turn signal LOL 

Written By: warped on 08/07/12 at 3:04 pm

Sounds like a car's turn signal LOL

Ever since you wrote "Borderline" with Madonna, you just don't believe in UFO's anymore.
;)

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 08/08/12 at 2:53 am

That would explain it, as long as the turn signal didn't have a car attached to it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/12 at 10:38 pm

I just thought of another one.  Back in my younger days me and the guys used to drive down this secluded oil road that went way back in the sticks, park by the side of the road between two cattle gates, and drink beer.  One night we were out there when a small red blinking light started coming slowly toward us up the road.  It was about five or six feet off the ground, traveling in a straight line at a steady speed, blinking on and off at regular intervals.  About fifty feet from us it stopped, seemingly in reaction to our presence, and hovered for a few moments.  Then it turned at a right angle and floated through a barbed-wire fence and out across the pasture--again in a straight line--until it was out of sight.  Needless to say, none of us had any idea what it was.

Well, I always apply Occam's razor in these situations, so I gotta figure it was a deer who strapped a stoplight to her head so she wouldn't get herself hit by a truck!
8)

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 08/20/12 at 3:30 am

Your reference to Occam's Razor, which I am totally against, inspired me to repost to my blog an anti-Occam's Razor diatribe that I wrote years ago and which you can read right now in the privacy of your own home!

http://porfle.blogspot.com/2012/08/porfle-vs-occams-razor.html

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/12/12 at 5:33 pm

I live in a suburb south of Chicago. Back around '04-'06, my town was the site of a series of mass UFO sightings. There were even a few TV specials made about it.

I didn't witness any of them myself, but I had been on the phone one of the nights and remember a weird interference with a bunch of strange beeping sounds. Well the next day the UFO news was all over the place and the sightings took place during the time I was on the phone :o

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/15/12 at 12:37 pm

bizarre!!

I remember when I was little seeing this alien being pooped out of a spaceship in my backyard.  I didn't really know what aliens were so I went back to sleep.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/22/12 at 4:22 am

Your reference to Occam's Razor, which I am totally against, inspired me to repost to my blog an anti-Occam's Razor diatribe that I wrote years ago and which you can read right now in the privacy of your own home!

http://porfle.blogspot.com/2012/08/porfle-vs-occams-razor.html

Karma! I read it and I agree. The problem with Occam's Razor is that often the case is the simplest explanation is not the truth. I think it's borderline fallacious and a weak argument against the supernatural, not only for that but also because 'mundane' or 'simple' is often subjective.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/12 at 10:53 pm

Karma! I read it and I agree. The problem with Occam's Razor is that often the case is the simplest explanation is not the truth. I think it's borderline fallacious and a weak argument against the supernatural, not only for that but also because 'mundane' or 'simple' is often subjective.

I like Occam's Razor as a general principle, but I don't agree with using it to rule out the inexplicable because then you have to ask, is there such a thing as the inexplicable or do you know the fabric of the universe?

People question my faith in God. They tell me to prove God exists.  Well, if I could prove God exists, it wouldn't be faith, now would it?
::)

Written By: belmont22 on 11/24/12 at 11:46 pm

I like Occam's Razor as a general principle, but I don't agree with using it to rule out the inexplicable because then you have to ask, is there such a thing as the inexplicable or do you know the fabric of the universe?

People question my faith in God. They tell me to prove God exists.  Well, if I could prove God exists, it wouldn't be faith, now would it?

I think Occam's Razor and the slippery slope are to fallacy what 'y' is to the vowels, sometimes they're fallacious, sometimes they're not.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/28/12 at 8:29 pm

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It proves you exist, and so therefore, you don't. Q.E.D.."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
  - Douglas Adams, Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

If you'd prefer a more recent cultural reference, Insane Clown Polytechnic: Science for Juggalos was part of the fallout from the confusion between the line "F*bleep*in' magnets, how do they work," in Miracles, an ICP track that urged the listener to time to observe and appreciate the complexity of the natural world, with "I don't wanna talk to a scientist / y'all motherf*bloop*kers lyin, and gettin' me pissed". To a scientist, that's inherently contradictory; the more you look at the world, the more interesting and awesome it is.

Of course, if you want something more recent than that, there was also this controversy (Lauren Faust herself commented) about the intended message of Feeling Pinkie Keen, an episode that attempted to take on an issue at the very core of the philosophy of science.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/12 at 12:34 am

See, most God-fearin' folks want to tell you you gots to believes in God 'cos he gwine be your judge when you get up at St. Peter's Gate and say well, I was an agnostic, but now, Lord, you forgive people.  The chaplain at the hospital said when we prayed in your name that you'd forgive me for this!  You know what he's gwine say?  He's gonna say, "Forget it.  I didn't forgive you."  Lemme run that by you one more time, then Ima pray for ya.  The Lord's gonna say he didn't forgive ya!!!  Just fergitit!  He's gotta place that's hot for ya!!! *

My approach is not evangelical.  I don't even suggest you go to my church if your interested, but only if you really want to, or some crap like that because I have trouble going to my own church and reconciling my own convictions with church dogma.  So, see, you tell me you don't believe in God, I say fine by my you practicing your Constitutional rights like that.  You get to believe what you want , or not believe at all, if it suits you.

It's when you tell me I'm crazy because I believe in God and I can't prove he exists.  A lot of religious people resort to the cheap tactic of asking the other to prove a negative.  They'll say, "Mr. Atheist, prove God doesn't exist."  Any atheist who takes this bate should get kicked out to the club.  I mean, we can't do the same thing.  The pope says Catholics can't be excommunicated for being 'tards.  That could cause a lot of job insecurity at the Vatican.  What I mean is it's a cheap ploy to ask somebody to prove a negative.  Then you say,  "Prove the flying invisible pink unicorn doesn't exist," and it goes on like that ad infinitum.

I say we get nowhere like this.  I'm not gonna judge you for what you want to believe.  I'd rather you return the courtesy and not judge me for what I want to believe,  you'll make a nicer friend.  Now, if my faith is too risible for you to brook, then you will still be my freind, but that annoying friend who always bugs me about my faith. You will become the evangelical New Atheist who doesn't believe in God and doesn't want anyone else to either. That's a sad way to be whether your an evangelical Christian or an Evangelical Atheist. 

* Paraphrased from
Steve Fisk, "The Kennedy Saga, Ch. VII"
Over and Through the Night
K Records/1993

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/01/12 at 1:48 am

It's when you tell me I'm crazy because I believe in God and I can't prove he exists.

This, this, this.  Proselytizing atheists are every bit as annoying as proselytizing theists.

Douglas Adams (or Oolon Colluphid, as the case may be) actually had a pretty good point - in the case of theism, theists shouldn't be trying to make an argument as to why it's logical to believe in a God.  It's not logical.  That's kinda the definition of "faith": the substance of things not seen.  If you can derive the existence of God from observation, you've missed the point.  Religion requires a leap of faith.

Science asks "how", religion asks "why", and they're almost completely separate fields of inquiry. 

How: A generator is a machine that contains a powerful magnet; when wires are... but I'm damned if I can tell you why the generator exists - is it because Maxwell was the first Juggalo?  Because Edison and Telsa had a tiff 100 years ago?  Or because I'm willing to give some giant corporation a few little green pieces of paper per month in exchange for access to the stuff makes my computer display pictures of ponies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/12 at 11:33 pm

My trouble with my church came with all the stuff they want my to believe.  Faith is one thing, belief is another. 

Now, I don't want threadjack the UFOs into theology, but I got real tired of the veiled lady at Mass standing up and asking Father us to pray for end of the scourge of abortion.  I did never made a prayer request for the end of capital punishment or the end of the intolerance of us sinners in the church for the sinners outside the church.  Why?  Because the Catholic Church has a fetish about abortion disproportionate to other sins of the world.  It's an issue of temporal politics bullying the rest of church doctrine.  So, like a lot of Catholics of individual conscience, I found attending Mass more and more difficult, but certainly not so much I'd consider renouncing the FAITH.  The BELIEF, maybe...

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/03/12 at 11:43 pm

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/beauty.png

And while we're at it, I'd also be the first to admit that we of the scientific persuasion are... easily fascinated :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/12 at 12:11 am

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/beauty.png

And while we're at it, I'd also be the first to admit that we of the scientific persuasion are... easily fascinated :)

God made yeast spores so that we could make Wonder Bread!
:)

Bill O'Reilly: What religion does Christmas represent?
Atheist: Christianity.
Bill O'Reilly: Christianity is not a religion.
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...