inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lake monsters and Sea serpents

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/12/11 at 1:10 pm

Has anyone actually seen any of these unknown animals or "cryptids" like Champ, Ogopogo, Caddy or the Lochness monster? Does anyone believe they exist or are they just mythical creatures made up by people, particularly by cryptozoologists? I think it's possible that some of them do exist, I think of the coelacanth which was a cryptid until 1938, and the Naden Harbor creature that was found.

Subject: Re: Lake monsters and Sea serpents

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/11 at 2:47 pm

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/lost-tapes/sea-monsters/loch-ness-monster/images/loch-ness-monster.jpg

It has been reported that this famous image of the Loch Ness Monster was first published in the newspapers on April 1st 1933.

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/12/11 at 7:06 pm

I think it's possible That lake monsters exist but I would think that some remains would have turned up at some point.  Sea serpents/monsters more likely than lake, the oceans are so vast and part so deep things probably lurk there that we will never know about.

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/11 at 9:12 pm

Many people believe the Ogopogo, the famous Lake Monster of British Columbia was real.  There is a statue in Kelowna, BC of the lake monster.

http://www.ogopogomonster.com/user/cimage/Ogopogo-statue.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/11 at 9:16 pm

I'm skeptical about lake monsters.  Where is the breeding population?  It defies the laws of biology for one specimen to occupy a confined lake for hundreds of years.

Sea creatures, such as giant mollusks, are a little more believable because the ocean is so deep and vast and a good deal of it is unexplored.  The coelocanth is a deep sea fish.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/11 at 4:23 pm

As much as we go out on Lake Champlain, we have never seen anything-but we are usually in the southern part of the lake that is very shallow. In what they call the broad lake is where Champ is reported to live, is farther north than we usually sail. I can't say that I actually believe he/she exist but I do believe there is a possibility that SOMETHING is down there. And they any of these "monsters" exist-there wouldn't be just one-there would be a whole community of them. 

What I find fascinating is the fact that all of these-Nessie, Champ, Ogopogo, etc, all basically live at the same latitude (give or take). I often wondered if that is just a coincidence or if there is a reason for that.   

BTW. Both Vermont & New York has declared Champ an endangered species. That way, they CYA JUST IN CASE he/she actually does exist. 

Cat

Written By: Tia on 09/13/11 at 4:33 pm

i took a picture of the loch ness monster when i was about 8 and went on a tourist trip to scotland with my family. i think it was probably actually a duck gone ass-up looking for a fish but it was a better story to say it was the loch ness monster.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/15/11 at 7:38 pm

What I find fascinating is the fact that all of these-Nessie, Champ, Ogopogo, etc, all basically live at the same latitude (give or take). I often wondered if that is just a coincidence or if there is a reason for that.   

Cat

I'm thinking maybe they're all the same type of animal(snake-like). But, I could be wrong because Ogopogo and Caddy have been described differently than Champ and others.

Check for new replies or respond here...