inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: We are all made of "Star Dust"...

Written By: hot_wax on 01/28/12 at 8:28 pm

I thought this might be interesting that I resently found out about and I swear I'm still at Aww with this thought..." Planet Earth and all life on it has been created because of an ancient Star billions of years ago died and exploded." All it's reminense with all the minerals floating around to evenually form our solar system. All life today on Earth exsist because of these minerals, our drugs, our food supplies, even that gold ring you're wearing was once part of a Star that exsisted billions of years before our own sun was created...is that cool or what?

Subject: Re: We are all made of "Star Dust"...

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/28/12 at 10:24 pm

A few of the dates have changed by a few percent (13.6 billion, not 15 billion), but everything we've observed in the past 30 years has been consistent with a story arc that begins something like this:

LNqqFhFa4dI

"Matter is much older than life. Billions of years before the sun and earth even formed, atoms were being synthesized in the insides of hot stars and then returned to space when the stars blew themselves up. Newly formed planets were made of this stellar debris, the earth and every living thing are made of star stuff..."

QYTrlibQ2iE

- Excepts from a couple of episodes of Carl Sagan's 13-hour Cosmos series, 1981. 
  - Music is Vangelis, Alpha, 1976. 

Written By: hot_wax on 01/29/12 at 12:49 pm

A few of the dates have changed by a few percent (13.6 billion, not 15 billion), but everything we've observed in the past 30 years has been consistent with a story arc that begins something like this:

LNqqFhFa4dI

"Matter is much older than life. Billions of years before the sun and earth even formed, atoms were being synthesized in the insides of hot stars and then returned to space when the stars blew themselves up. Newly formed planets were made of this stellar debris, the earth and every living thing are made of star stuff..."

QYTrlibQ2iE

- Excepts from a couple of episodes of Carl Sagan's 13-hour Cosmos series, 1981. 
  - Music is Vangelis, Alpha, 1976.

Hi Foo Bar, aside from science fiction movies of the 50's, I actually I have been in aww with the mysteries of the universe since Sputnik went up in 57'. Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series really turn on my deeper interest with the universe and all it''s related theories. Resently I have been watching the Science channel series "Through the Worm Hole", narrarted by Morgan Freeman, in one episode it was about a dying star and how it's different tempertures it turned it's gases into the different minerals and when it exploded...in time we appeared from it's dust...isn't that amazing what God did?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/12 at 12:54 am

"And in time, we will all be stars."

-- Walt Whitman

Written By: hot_wax on 01/30/12 at 11:27 am

-- Walt Whitman

I thought I was the only one who had thought that or something like that, we live the life cycles like stars, we're concived from the explosion of the orgasm of parent stars and born to a solar system of life around us, we regenerate and reproduce like stars before us that died and exploded and reproduced another star, to me it's sort of the same thing how the universe exists.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/12 at 12:27 pm

I thought I was the only one who had thought that or something like that, we live the life cycles like stars, we're concived from the explosion of the orgasm of parent stars and born to a solar system of life around us, we regenerate and reproduce like stars before us that died and exploded and reproduced another star, to me it's sort of the same thing how the universe exists.

I don't really know if that's what Walt was thinking, but that's the way I like to interpret it.  Everything in the universe is made up mostly of a few chemical elements...

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/12 at 9:51 pm

isn't that amazing what God did?

Who's this "God" character?  Oh, right.  The Dude at the other side of the chessboard; He's way more clever than most of His followers give Him credit for.

"Science is a game we play with God to find out what His rules are."
  - Cornelius Krasel

The tricky part of the game of Science is that you have to play it as if He's not there.  The instant a species throws up its hands/pseudopodia/tentacles and says "He did it!", it stops looking for better explanations, and it loses the game.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/12 at 10:24 pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YA7LVzRp36Y/TY-wUSDPn3I/AAAAAAAAA8U/cnwxCgff_pM/s1600/ziggy_stardust_high_line.jpg

Hazy Cosmic Jive

Written By: hot_wax on 01/31/12 at 11:32 pm

Who's this "God" character?  Oh, right.  The Dude at the other side of the chessboard; He's way more clever than most of His followers give Him credit for.

"Science is a game we play with God to find out what His rules are."
  - Cornelius Krasel

The tricky part of the game of Science is that you have to play it as if He's not there.  The instant a species throws up its hands/pseudopodia/tentacles and says "He did it!", it stops looking for better explanations, and it loses the game.

Something created the "Big Bang" that created all of this and you too...believe it, you have no choice but to accept it because you are here today because of him or her or it. This is not a religious thing, all this stuff in the universe happened before any of of us humans fudgeed it up by creating religions, having a "God like person" to choose sides on what dumb ass beliefs are better then other dumb ass beliefs. We, or all life on this planet, in this vast universe, are here by design not by accident, created by some higher energy of intelligence.

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 07/09/12 at 11:40 pm

-- Walt Whitman

Oh, yeah...like, for fifteen minutes, right?

Written By: wildcard on 07/10/12 at 12:03 am

Something created the "Big Bang" that created all of this and you too...believe it, you have no choice but to accept it because you are here today because of him or her or it. This is not a religious thing, all this stuff in the universe happened before any of of us humans fudgeed it up by creating religions, having a "God like person" to choose sides on what dumb ass beliefs are better then other dumb ass beliefs. We, or all life on this planet, in this vast universe, are here by design not by accident, created by some higher energy of intelligence.

I believe in the Big Bang theory,  God said it and bang it happened.  I believe in a higher athority then me and I believe it's possible that a higher athority could have created a method in which things were going to work. 

Check for new replies or respond here...