inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have You Ever Lived In A Haunted House?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/14 at 5:12 pm

If there is another topic like this, it was just too far down and I didn't feel like looking for it so I started a new one.

Has anyone ever lived in a haunted house? It seems that the new (old) house that Carlos & I bought last year is haunted. http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=48369.75

We haven't moved in yet but I must admit that even though I am excited, I'm also a little nervous. I'm sure our ghost or "The Lady" is benign and friendly (if you read my other post, she used to tuck in the boys of a friend of ours when they lived in the house-that shows she is not malicious). But, I am afraid that WHEN I meet her, I am going to totally freak. Carlos doesn't believe in ghosts but the way he is sounding, he WANTS to believe and wants to meet "The Lady."

Please share your stories of living with ghosts.

Cat

Subject: Re: Have You Ever Lived In A Haunted House?

Written By: warped on 01/21/14 at 6:01 pm

Going back 25 years (before I was married), my wife had a roommate who was convinced that a ghost OR evil spirits were following her. It's possible coz my wife did experience weird things when she lived with this girl. This wasn't a very friendly evils spirit/ghost. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/14 at 6:03 pm

Going back 25 years (before I was married), my wife had a roommate who was convinced that a ghost OR evil spirits were following her. It's possible coz my wife did experience weird things when she lived with this girl. This wasn't a very friendly evils spirit/ghost.

Didn't tuck her in at night?  ;)

Seriously, it must have scared the bejesus out of her.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 01/21/14 at 6:04 pm

I don't feel that I have ever lived with a ghost, however, I have felt unusual things in places I've visited.  I find the paranormal interesting and I'm eager to read others' stories. 

Written By: warped on 01/21/14 at 6:06 pm

Didn't tuck her in at night?  ;)

Seriously, it must have scared the bejesus out of her.

Cat

Yes it did. One time she thought it came into her room and tried to rip off the blankets from her bed (while she slept). It could have been a dream though, who knows.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/21/14 at 9:47 pm

In the late '80s my family lived a few blocks from a house that was haunted. Fire used to shoot of the electrical sockets like a blow torch...even after they turned off the power. Eventually the house had to be demolished, but a new one was built on the same site. The case has been called "The Orland Hills Poltergeist"

My aunt lived down the block from us at the time. I'm not sure if this was before or after the event described above (I think before), but one time she was having the walls in her bedroom painted so she and my uncle slept in the basement...she said she woke up in the middle of the night and noticed what she described as little spheres of electricity zipping around the floor and making a humming sound.

She moved out of that house in 1992, but she had a weird encounter in her current house too: One night she woke up and noticed a girl crying next to her bed and it kept saying "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!". Then she said it ran out of her room and into her my cousin's room and she could even hear the handles on her daughter's dresser rattle :o

Written By: warped on 01/22/14 at 7:08 am

In the late '80s my family lived a few blocks from a house that was haunted. Fire used to shoot of the electrical sockets like a blow torch...even after they turned off the power. Eventually the house had to be demolished, but a new one was built on the same site. The case has been called "The Orland Hills Poltergeist"

My aunt lived down the block from us at the time. I'm not sure if this was before or after the event described above (I think before), but one time she was having the walls in her bedroom painted so she and my uncle slept in the basement...she said she woke up in the middle of the night and noticed what she described as little spheres of electricity zipping around the floor and making a humming sound.

She moved out of that house in 1992, but she had a weird encounter in her current house too: One night she woke up and noticed a girl crying next to her bed and it kept saying "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!". Then she said it ran out of her room and into her my cousin's room and she could even hear the handles on her daughter's dresser rattle :o

:o

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/22/14 at 10:18 am

Although I don't believe in ghosts, "there are more things in the heavens and earth ..."

When I lived in Potsdam NY  we bought an old house and renovated it.  In one bedroom we removed several layers of wall paper down to one with balloons.  That evening we heard what sounded like a little girl laughing.  It was in the summer so our windows were open, but there were no little kids in the neighborhood.  Once that wallpaper was removed, the sounds stopped.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/14 at 12:18 am

I'm agnostic on ghosts and hauntings.  The 18th century farmhouse that was my NH childhood home certainly felt haunted.  I felt strange presences in the front part of the house, which was built around the time of the American Revolution.  The extensions on the house were newer, though I once saw an apparition of a little girl in a white nightgown in my bedroom.  I thought the phantom might be my sister, but when I called out to her, she turned and faded into nothing.  I won't say for sure it was a ghost.  I could have been dreaming wide awake.  The strange thing was the sight didn't scare me.  I was a nervous kid and afraid of the dark, but an apparent encounter with a ghost did not frighten me.  I just felt puzzled.

Anyway, the ghosts in the house weren't scary.  It was my family that was scary!
::)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/03/14 at 12:59 am

I had an experience with a Ouija board in my current home. That's all I want to say about it.  :(

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/03/14 at 10:02 am

I'm agnostic on ghosts and hauntings.  The 18th century farmhouse that was my NH childhood home certainly felt haunted.  I felt strange presences in the front part of the house, which was built around the time of the American Revolution.  The extensions on the house were newer, though I once saw an apparition of a little girl in a white nightgown in my bedroom.  I thought the phantom might be my sister, but when I called out to her, she turned and faded into nothing.  I won't say for sure it was a ghost.  I could have been dreaming wide awake.  The strange thing was the sight didn't scare me.  I was a nervous kid and afraid of the dark, but an apparent encounter with a ghost did not frighten me.  I just felt puzzled.

Anyway, the ghosts in the house weren't scary.  It was my family that was scary!
::)

Wow, did you ever see her again?

Written By: Ripley on 02/03/14 at 9:23 pm

I had an experience with a Ouija board in my current home. That's all I want to say about it.  :(

I've heard crazy stories about them. One relative of mine played with her cousins and they claimed that dishes were thrown on the floor by something. 

Two other legends:

Bloody Mary.  Most people probably know of this.  A cousin of mine tried it and nothing happened.  I always refused to but because of this tale I am scared to look in the mirror when it is dark.  I happen to have a double door length mirror on my closet.  It was there when we moved in but it's usually too dark in there to see anything in it. 

Black Cat Scratch:  Someone lies on their stomack while the others in the room chant something.  I don't remember the exact words of it but at the end of it you say, "Black Cat Scratch".  And the person lying down feels a cat scratch.  An old friend of mine said that her sister and some friends did this and that her sister's friend actually had scratches.  To me the girls sounded like they were making it up.  BTW I have a black cat and he is as sweet as the icing on a cake  :)

These were a bit off topic I guess but at least with the Bloody Mary one it is a sort of ghost tale. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/14 at 9:22 pm

Wow, did you ever see her again?

Nope.  If I saw the same apparition twice, I might be a believer!
:o

Written By: aja675 on 02/24/14 at 10:37 pm

No.

Written By: Inertia on 03/07/14 at 10:34 am

I could tell you some rather disturbing experiences I've had.

To give you a sample of the supernatural shenanigans I've faced, I'll recount one of them here for you:

Around the summer of 2008, I invited my sister and our friend Krysti over. We decided to play hide and seek despite our age. I was "it" at the time and the two of them were hiding. I live out in the country in the middle of the woods with a very large yard so a game of hide and seek can last awhile. Sometimes in order to give each other hints when we grow bored of hiding we either make monkey sounds or whoop and holler.

Anyway, so I was walking alongside the right of the house near the hedges and heading toward the dog house. By the time I reached it, I heard Krysti making monkey noises in the vines situated not far behind the dog house and shaking trees.

I must note that I couldn't actually see her as the vines are very thick in that area. They grow around skinny trees, coiling around them, and almost creating a sense of faux rooms. As kids, my sister and I referred to the place as the "vampire palace" and use to play there. Anyway, I digress, so before I go off on a tangent, I'll return to the action.

Seeing as I happened to be so close, I found it somewhat odd she chose to give a hint then. I am not a subtle seeker. I had been singing while looking for them and in general being loud so I knew she realized I was close. I reasoned she must have been bored.

I faced the woods and called to her, "Krysti, I know you're hiding in there. Come out."

The only response I received was more monkey noises and tree shaking. I became irritated as I noticed the tree movement indicated she was moving through back into the vines rather than coming out.

Stepping closer, I snapped in an irate tone, "Hey! What do you think you are doing? You're already found so come out. I'm not coming in there after you! Stop cheating!"

The monkey noises continued and she kept going further back. I was pissed now and entered the vines after her. The verbal banter continued with me advancing several feet and making commentary and her retorting with monkey sounds and retreating toward the field.

After awhile, I got a vibe. Something seemed off about the situation; it made me uncomfortable. I looked down toward my feet and noticed how thick the vines were becoming. If I traveled further, I wouldn't be able to run in the event of something happening.

Krysti is bipolar so I considered the possibility that she could be luring me into a trap. I looked back and saw how far I'd ventured into the vines and made the decision to leave. As I went to exit, she went ballistic. The monkey noises and the shaking increased as I left, but I was done with the nonsense so I ignored her.

I yelled to my sister, "Shonda, you need to come help me find Krysti! She's being stupid and won't come out!"

From the other side of the house, she shouted, "What?"

I said, "I found Krysti and she keeps trying to cheat and moving away rather than coming out!"

"What? Krysti has been hiding over here with me under the holly bushes the whole time!" She said.

I didn't believe it and told them to meet me in the front yard. Krysti appeared alongside Shonda on the left side of the house. There's no way she could have gotten out of the woods and all the way to the other side of the house that quick without me seeing her. So what was in the woods? Why did it sound like Krysti? And why was it trying to lure me anyway?

The stranger part was Shonda said her and Krysti were being quiet because they heard walking sounds nearby even though I was no where close at the time.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/07/14 at 12:16 pm

That's creepy Inertia.  :o

I had a strange happening I honestly haven't thought of in 20 years.

When I was seven (summer of 93) I was a memeber of the Campfire Girls and Boys. That summer my troop went on a camp out to a campgrounds about 50 miles out of town. It was the boonies, a bunch of wooden "tents" a pool and trees.
In my bunk were two adults and eight little girls. I shared a bunk with another little girl, and because I was scared of heights, I spread my denim sleeping bag on the BOTTOM bunk.
Once we were settled in, we went to the Mess Hall for dinner.
As we're eating some of the camp counselors start telling the story of this boy who died and went around when you weren't looking, messing with your cabin and things.
Now I KNOW for a fact everyone I came with was in that Mess Hall eating, and that all three of the counselors were present. Dinner ends and everyone goes back to the bunks to change for bed and BS until lights out.
I go in my cabin, my sleeping bag is on the TOP bunk!  :o
I laid awake the entire night and was SO HAPPY to get out of there to come back home!!!

Written By: Inertia on 03/07/14 at 4:40 pm

That's creepy Inertia.  :o

I had a strange happening I honestly haven't thought of in 20 years.

When I was seven (summer of 93) I was a memeber of the Campfire Girls and Boys. That summer my troop went on a camp out to a campgrounds about 50 miles out of town. It was the boonies, a bunch of wooden "tents" a pool and trees.
In my bunk were two adults and eight little girls. I shared a bunk with another little girl, and because I was scared of heights, I spread my denim sleeping bag on the BOTTOM bunk.
Once we were settled in, we went to the Mess Hall for dinner.
As we're eating some of the camp counselors start telling the story of this boy who died and went around when you weren't looking, messing with your cabin and things.
Now I KNOW for a fact everyone I came with was in that Mess Hall eating, and that all three of the counselors were present. Dinner ends and everyone goes back to the bunks to change for bed and BS until lights out.
I go in my cabin, my sleeping bag is on the TOP bunk!  :o
I laid awake the entire night and was SO HAPPY to get out of there to come back home!!!

There's a chance somebody could have done it on the way out I guess unless you were the last to leave the cabin, but it's unlikely. That's very strange.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/23/17 at 9:05 pm

No, but I'm watching this scary thing now.  :o  :o

jEkvbDle0jY

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/24/17 at 4:01 pm

I noticed my post from a few years ago about Camp. I never did put the flipside of the story--what happened with my mother the weekend I was gone.
At the time I went to camp, my mother and I were living in a different house, not too far from the house I live in now. She and my father weren't together at the time, its a long story about that, but basically, while I was gone, my mom was off that weekend and home alone.
The house we were in we weren't there any more than maybe six months because in April of 93 my grandmother died, mama moved from our old house and after this incident we moved to where I am now.
it was a small, 2 bedroom house, one story. and the door to my bedroom, faced my mothers bedroom down a short hall, with the bathroom between us. My room faced the front street and Ma's room was facing the backyard. I left for the overnight on a Saturday morning and would get picked up Sunday afternoon.
In the middle of the night my mother got up to go to the bathroom. When I was at home, the light was usually kept on, like a nightlight, but since I was over in The Big Thicket, the light was out. This was how my mother told it to me. She turned the light on, and the floor was moving.
Like the fly scene out of the Amityville Horror, the floor was covered with termites. So my mother screamed and ran into her room for bug spray, her bedroom floor was moving, more termites. She said she spent all night killing them and cleaning them up.
Now here's what's so odd about it.My mother was an impeccable housekeeper, and before that night, we'd never had any trouble with insects like that before. Eve n my father, who was a carpenter and good with stuff like that, could NOT explain it.
What's more is, that right down the hall my room was untouched. Not a single termite or anything ever went in there.  :o
We got out of there within a month.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/17 at 5:19 pm

If there is another topic like this, it was just too far down and I didn't feel like looking for it so I started a new one.

Has anyone ever lived in a haunted house? It seems that the new (old) house that Carlos & I bought last year is haunted. http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=48369.75

We haven't moved in yet but I must admit that even though I am excited, I'm also a little nervous. I'm sure our ghost or "The Lady" is benign and friendly (if you read my other post, she used to tuck in the boys of a friend of ours when they lived in the house-that shows she is not malicious). But, I am afraid that WHEN I meet her, I am going to totally freak. Carlos doesn't believe in ghosts but the way he is sounding, he WANTS to believe and wants to meet "The Lady."

Please share your stories of living with ghosts.

Cat

A little follow-up. We have been living in this house for 2 and half years now and have never seen nor heard anything that could be paranormal. We both are a little bit disappointed but on the other hand a bit relieved. I guess she likes what we have done to the place.

Several years ago, we had dinner with friends who bought an old farmhouse (I'm talking 1700s farmhouse) and I asked if it was haunted. I was told that it was but by them. Their future ghosts were haunting it in the past. (They don't believe that time is linear.) So, I wonder if I was "The Lady" which is why she hasn't shown herself since we got here-because I am already here. Does that make sense?

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/17 at 1:33 am

I noticed my post from a few years ago about Camp. I never did put the flipside of the story--what happened with my mother the weekend I was gone.
At the time I went to camp, my mother and I were living in a different house, not too far from the house I live in now. She and my father weren't together at the time, its a long story about that, but basically, while I was gone, my mom was off that weekend and home alone.
The house we were in we weren't there any more than maybe six months because in April of 93 my grandmother died, mama moved from our old house and after this incident we moved to where I am now.
it was a small, 2 bedroom house, one story. and the door to my bedroom, faced my mothers bedroom down a short hall, with the bathroom between us. My room faced the front street and Ma's room was facing the backyard. I left for the overnight on a Saturday morning and would get picked up Sunday afternoon.
In the middle of the night my mother got up to go to the bathroom. When I was at home, the light was usually kept on, like a nightlight, but since I was over in The Big Thicket, the light was out. This was how my mother told it to me. She turned the light on, and the floor was moving.
Like the fly scene out of the Amityville Horror, the floor was covered with termites. So my mother screamed and ran into her room for bug spray, her bedroom floor was moving, more termites. She said she spent all night killing them and cleaning them up.
Now here's what's so odd about it.My mother was an impeccable housekeeper, and before that night, we'd never had any trouble with insects like that before. Eve n my father, who was a carpenter and good with stuff like that, could NOT explain it.
What's more is, that right down the hall my room was untouched. Not a single termite or anything ever went in there.  :o
We got out of there within a month.

Freaky termites!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/17 at 1:36 am

A little follow-up. We have been living in this house for 2 and half years now and have never seen nor heard anything that could be paranormal. We both are a little bit disappointed but on the other hand a bit relieved. I guess she likes what we have done to the place.

Several years ago, we had dinner with friends who bought an old farmhouse (I'm talking 1700s farmhouse) and I asked if it was haunted. I was told that it was but by them. Their future ghosts were haunting it in the past. (They don't believe that time is linear.) So, I wonder if I was "The Lady" which is why she hasn't shown herself since we got here-because I am already here. Does that make sense?

Cat

Sounds like maybe quantum physics. I'm not too great at understanding it, but it does sound scientific in a way!  :o  :o

I'm glad your house isn't really haunted. I wouldn't be able to live in a house like that, even if it was a friendly ghost, or ghosts. I'm kind of a scaredy cat!  ;D

I wouldn't mind spending a night in a haunted house, but with at least two more people. And I would get to bring my good luck charms. And I was in a better place mentally than now.

Written By: 2001 on 03/23/17 at 9:23 pm

Sounds like maybe quantum physics. I'm not too great at understanding it, but it does sound scientific in a way!  :o  :o

I'm glad your house isn't really haunted. I wouldn't be able to live in a house like that, even if it was a friendly ghost, or ghosts. I'm kind of a scaredy cat!  ;D

I wouldn't mind spending a night in a haunted house, but with at least two more people. And I would get to bring my good luck charms. And I was in a better place mentally than now.

It's impossible to go into the past.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/17 at 9:26 pm

It's impossible to go into the past.  :-X

I can do it. The voices in my head said so! :.ducks:.

Just kidding!  ;)

Written By: 2001 on 03/23/17 at 9:36 pm

I can do it. The voices in my head said so! :.ducks:.

Just kidding!  ;)

It's possible to "travel" into the future though. The closer you travel to the speed of light, the slower time gets (for you).

If you're travelling at 99.9% of the speed of light, 100 years for everyone else would be around ~4.47 years for you. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/17 at 9:43 pm

It's possible to "travel" into the future though. The closer you travel to the speed of light, the slower time gets (for you).

If you're travelling at 99.9% of the speed of light, 100 years for everyone else would be around ~4.47 years for you. :)

I heard black holes can slow down time, or something. I forgot. Sorry.  :P

I heard the closer you get to a black hole the slower light is, or something. Again, I'm guessing. Or you die, if you even get close to a black hole!  :(

Written By: 2001 on 03/23/17 at 9:45 pm

I heard black holes can slow down time, or something. I forgot. Sorry.  :P

I heard the closer you get to a black hole the slower light is, or something. Again, I'm guessing. Or you die, if you even get close to a black hole!  :(

I don't touch general relativity.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/17 at 9:47 pm

I don't touch general relativity.  :-X

Is it too 'general' for you?  ;D  ;D

Written By: annimal on 03/23/17 at 10:34 pm

no,but my dreams sometimes

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/17 at 10:42 pm

no,but my dreams sometimes

That's scary.

Written By: annimal on 03/24/17 at 10:23 am

Lots of dead things and stuff.  I don't wanna talk about it

Check for new replies or respond here...