inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sleep paralysis

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 12:21 am

Anyone get it from time to time?

I had this experience about a month ago. I "woke" up and I was laying in my bed. The lights in my room were still off, but light was entering from the open door. I tried to move but couldn't. My mom walks in and starts screaming and crying, and I try to tell her that I'm still alive, but no dice. The paramedics arrive, and I keep trying to scream but nothing comes out of my mouth. I just lay there, supposedly dead.

Fortunately, I "snap" just in time and wake up. Someone did forget to turn off the lights outside my door tho...

It was one of the scariest experiences of my life! What about you guys?

Subject: Re: Sleep paralysis

Written By: Brian06 on 12/18/16 at 12:44 am

Experienced it a lot, it is scary. It's like you feel awake and want to move but you're not quite awake and can't move. It's kind of surreal.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/16 at 12:47 am

No, i haven't experienced it. But I have experienced a feeling of 'sleep falling.'

It's when I'm halfway awake and halfway asleep, and then it feels like I'm falling for like three feet, but I can't move, and then I wake up.  :(  :(

Written By: 2001 on 12/18/16 at 10:50 am

Experienced it a lot, it is scary. It's like you feel awake and want to move but you're not quite awake and can't move. It's kind of surreal.

Yep. The hallucinations that usually follow are also really fascinating to me. Your brain is still in the "sleep/dream" state, and so a lot of critical thinking is still suspended, and you start seeing things :o

No, i haven't experienced it. But I have experienced a feeling of 'sleep falling.'

It's when I'm halfway awake and halfway asleep, and then it feels like I'm falling for like three feet, but I can't move, and then I wake up.  :(  :(

That's scary :o I think I experience something similar. Whenever I walk up or down stairs and trip (in my dream), I wake up making the tripping motion. Trippy!  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/18/16 at 3:28 pm

I've had "jerk awakes" where I'm sleeping and my body just wakes me up cause my brain just told me to wake up, it's like a slight jolt of energy.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/18/16 at 5:29 pm

Oh man, this reminds me of something really weird that happened to me about 10-12 years ago.

I was lying in my bed, half asleep, when suddenly I felt like I couldn't breathe and I began shaking violently. I sat up in bed and put my hands right in front of my face like I was grabbing hold of something and then quickly pulled my hands away from me, like I was yanking something out from inside of my head. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw what appeared to be some kind of giant striped slug (about 4 feet long) quickly crawl away from me to my right and then disappear, and then I could breathe normally again. Oddly enough I wasn't super freaked out by it, but I still wonder if it was simply a hallucination or if it might have been something supernatural, like it was some entity that was trying to possess me or something. This happened 10 years ago and I haven't anything happen like that since then.

However I have to ask those of you who have experienced sleep paralysis (especially if it's on a recurring basis), have you had other issues with sleeping? Do you find yourself not feeling fully rested despite being in bed for at least 6-8 hours? Have people who you live with told you that you snore loudly? You might have sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago and had to use a CPAP machine, but then I had jaw and nose surgery earlier this year to help open my nasal and throat passages and it seems to be working. I can sleep OK without having to use the CPAP anymore.

If you think it's possible that you may have sleep apnea then you might want to ask your doctor about it, because it can possibly lead to more serious health problems down the road, particularly with your heart.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/16 at 5:42 pm

I've had "jerk awakes" where I'm sleeping and my body just wakes me up cause my brain just told me to wake up, it's like a slight jolt of energy.
Everyone experiences jerks in their sleep. For at the time of reaching the point of sleep, your heart and breathing rates go down and your body thinks you are dying. It is your body's instinct to jerk you to keep your life going.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/16 at 3:11 pm

Everyone experiences jerks in their sleep. For at the time of reaching the point of sleep, your heart and breathing rates go down and your body thinks you are dying. It is your body's instinct to jerk you to keep your life going.

I've had that happen to me plenty of times.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 4:17 pm

Oh man, this reminds me of something really weird that happened to me about 10-12 years ago.

I was lying in my bed, half asleep, when suddenly I felt like I couldn't breathe and I began shaking violently. I sat up in bed and put my hands right in front of my face like I was grabbing hold of something and then quickly pulled my hands away from me, like I was yanking something out from inside of my head. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw what appeared to be some kind of giant striped slug (about 4 feet long) quickly crawl away from me to my right and then disappear, and then I could breathe normally again. Oddly enough I wasn't super freaked out by it, but I still wonder if it was simply a hallucination or if it might have been something supernatural, like it was some entity that was trying to possess me or something. This happened 10 years ago and I haven't anything happen like that since then.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

They used to think sleep paralysis happened because a demon sat on your chest while you're in your sleep. :o

Written By: Ripley on 12/19/16 at 5:13 pm

I've had this happen quite a few times.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/16 at 5:20 pm

However I have to ask those of you who have experienced sleep paralysis (especially if it's on a recurring basis), have you had other issues with sleeping? Do you find yourself not feeling fully rested despite being in bed for at least 6-8 hours? Have people who you live with told you that you snore loudly? You might have sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago and had to use a CPAP machine, but then I had jaw and nose surgery earlier this year to help open my nasal and throat passages and it seems to be working. I can sleep OK without having to use the CPAP anymore.

If you think it's possible that you may have sleep apnea then you might want to ask your doctor about it, because it can possibly lead to more serious health problems down the road, particularly with your heart.

Some people call it Old Hag Syndrome.

Written By: Ripley on 12/19/16 at 5:21 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

They used to think sleep paralysis happened because a demon sat on your chest while you're in your sleep. :o

I think this could be a possibility. I believe in this stuff. While I don't recall having your situation or any kind of paralysis, an old friend of mine had one experience. Though at the time I didn't know what paralysis was even though I was 20 and into Paranormal stuff. Some of you might not even think this qualifies but I do. She woke up or thought she was awake. So she was likely half in already. She saw her own body floating above her. This was not a demon but her own spirit. So it's nothing like anyone has described when it comes to Paralysis. No trouble breathing or anything like that. But what do you guys think? Could this be a form of it. It's not every day that you see you're own ghost.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/16 at 6:36 pm

I think this could be a possibility. I believe in this stuff. While I don't recall having your situation or any kind of paralysis, an old friend of mine had one experience. Though at the time I didn't know what paralysis was even though I was 20 and into Paranormal stuff. Some of you might not even think this qualifies but I do. She woke up or thought she was awake. So she was likely half in already. She saw her own body floating above her. This was not a demon but her own spirit. So it's nothing like anyone has described when it comes to Paralysis. No trouble breathing or anything like that. But what do you guys think? Could this be a form of it. It's not every day that you see you're own ghost.

The explanation I've heard from people smarter than me for my own hallucinations during sleep paralysis is that the brain can still wake up in somewhat of a "dream" state during paralysis. While you might be 100% conscious, your brain's analytical functions have no caught up to speed and still behave as if you were sleeping or dreaming. For the same reasons you see demons in your sleep/dream, one might see demons when they wake up with sleep paralysis.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/16 at 3:16 pm

I've had this happen quite a few times.

Did it feel like you drank an energy drink? :o

Check for new replies or respond here...