inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Past-Time/Hangouts from the past
Written By: saver on 01/08/05 at 6:42 pm

Well, That once stuck in my head so I looked into it..It seemed in the older days before crowds many parks had these houses to cuddle with your date and just have fun as a cart took you around in the dark. There is a site of famous most remembered ones and the site mentions how they eventually became damaged and delapidated - hard to find now as they use to only be enough to carry 5 cars through the whole ride and in these times it would take all day to get a chance to ride through one! Also, it was mentioned how due to vandals, you would notice almost ALL parks had to cover the objects within with chicken wire as vandals(mostly teens) would wreck the objects grabbing at them or tearing them apart!

Glad I got to experience them at one time in my life?

Do you remember? Maybe next, FUNHOUSES!

Subject: Re: Past-Time/Hangouts from the past
Written By: jackas on 02/14/05 at 12:53 pm

I miss drive-ins!  You can still find one here and there.  There are a few in So Cal still.  I go whenever I get a chance.  Brings back memories!
Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/05 at 10:47 pm

I went to a drive in once, they placed:

The Full Monty
Mask of Zorro
Some other film I forgot
Entrapment

I had a great time there.
Written By: jackas on 02/14/05 at 11:52 pm

Yeah, one of the cool things was that you would get to see two to three movies.  You also didn't have to worry about a complete stranger sitting right next to you and bumping your arm through the entire movie.
Written By: AL-B on 02/22/05 at 2:45 am

There's an active drive-in theater about 5 miles from where I live (and right next door to where I work). It's supposed to reopen next month. Of course I can't go there until I find a woman to go with me--I'd feel like a weirdo sitting alone in my car in a drive-in theater. But I really want to check it out. I haven't been to a drive-in movie since 1989.
Written By: jackas on 02/22/05 at 11:47 am

There's an active drive-in theater about 5 miles from where I live (and right next door to where I work). It's supposed to reopen next month. Of course I can't go there until I find a woman to go with me--I'd feel like a weirdo sitting alone in my car in a drive-in theater. But I really want to check it out. I haven't been to a drive-in movie since 1989.

That's OK, it will be dark and nobody will be able to see what that weirdo looks like. :)  I know how you feel though.  I always wanted to go by myself, but since I'm a female I was always a little nervous about being alone in my car at night.  And the drive-ins are hardly ever on the good side of town.
Written By: jgordon24 on 02/25/05 at 11:16 pm

u mean drive in movies?
Written By: Dagwood on 02/26/05 at 4:57 pm

There is one just a mile away from my house.  My daughter and I try to go once a year.  I love it.
Written By: ChuckyG on 02/26/05 at 6:30 pm

There is one just a mile away from my house.  My daughter and I try to go once a year.  I love it.

there's one not far from my house, we tried it with the top down in the Mustang, but the bugs were killer.
Written By: jackas on 02/27/05 at 8:29 pm

u mean drive in movies?

Yep.
Written By: nally on 02/27/05 at 8:33 pm

I miss drive-ins!  You can still find one here and there.  There are a few in So Cal still.  I go whenever I get a chance.  Brings back memories!

Is that so? I don't know of any that still exist, being that I'm a So-Cal resident.
Written By: jackas on 02/27/05 at 8:44 pm

Is that so? I don't know of any that still exist, being that I'm a So-Cal resident.

Yep.  What part are you from?  I think most are in Riverside County.
Written By: nally on 02/27/05 at 8:46 pm

Yep.  What part are you from?  I think most are in Riverside County.

That's an area that I'm not familiar with at all...I've only been out that way once, and it was in December of '87, to visit my grandparents on my dad's side (who moved out there permanently ten years later).

To answer your question, I live in Ventura County, although I have been spending time in Los Angeles County (where I lived until age 20). :)
Written By: jackas on 02/27/05 at 8:56 pm

That's an area that I'm not familiar with at all...I've only been out that way once, and it was in December of '87, to visit my grandparents on my dad's side (who moved out there permanently ten years later).

To answer your question, I live in Ventura County, although I have been spending time in Los Angeles County (where I lived until age 20). :)

Yeah, there's not a lot up that way.  Most are in Los Angeles, Riverside and San Diego County.  I found this web site that has California drive ins.  The ones that say "dark" are closed.    http://www.driveinmovie.com/CA.htm
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/05 at 1:06 am

I am fortunate enough to have 3 drive-ins in a 20-some mile radius from my home. My husband and I (when we were dating) would love to go to the drive-in on a Fri or Sat night.....you can't beat the price.....2 movies for the price of 1!!

Erin :)
Written By: nally on 03/01/05 at 7:07 pm

Yeah, there's not a lot up that way.  Most are in Los Angeles, Riverside and San Diego County.  I found this web site that has California drive ins.  The ones that say "dark" are closed.  http://www.driveinmovie.com/CA.htm

Thanks for the link, jacks. I clicked on it and found that most of the L.A. County ones are in the east part of the county, where I do not frequently go.
Written By: jackas on 03/01/05 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for the link, jacks. I clicked on it and found that most of the L.A. County ones are in the east part of the county, where I do not frequently go.

No problem. :)  That's too bad that they are a little too far.  Maybe one day you can make a night of going out that way and having dinner and a movie.  Something to do. :)
Written By: ElDuderino on 03/04/05 at 1:40 am

I never got to be around for drive ins. Wish i had. Also, full service stations, and the old fashioned cinemas with the red curtains and the balconies, etc.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/04/05 at 1:44 am

we have a bunch of drive-ins still around our area

Erin
Written By: jackas on 03/04/05 at 12:42 pm

I never got to be around for drive ins. Wish i had. Also, full service stations, and the old fashioned cinemas with the red curtains and the balconies, etc.

Here is a web site that lists drive-ins in Texas.  http://www.worley-world.com/txdriveins/
As for the full service station, you can still find them in upscale neighborhoods. :)
Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/05 at 12:48 pm

Here is a web site that lists drive-ins in Texas.  http://www.worley-world.com/txdriveins/
As for the full service station, you can still find them in upscale neighborhoods. :)

I know in the Northeast, almost every Getty gas station is full service, and so are a lot of the non-name brand gas stations. My wife doesn't pump her own, so I've been trying to make sure I spot more of them so I don't have to do it >grin<

My father owned a full service station until I was out of college.  It's still full-serve under the new owners.  It basically has to be, they opened a gigantic self-serve station across the street a few years after he sold it.  I know when I worked there, we still washed windows and checked fluid levels, but only if you asked.  Most "full serve" stations probably don't even do that now.  Kind of stupid, since most people would probably buy a quart of oil if they were down.
Written By: jackas on 03/04/05 at 12:54 pm

I know in the Northeast, almost every Getty gas station is full service, and so are a lot of the non-name brand gas stations. My wife doesn't pump her own, so I've been trying to make sure I spot more of them so I don't have to do it >grin<

My father owned a full service station until I was out of college.  It's still full-serve under the new owners.  It basically has to be, they opened a gigantic self-serve station across the street a few years after he sold it.  I know when I worked there, we still washed windows and checked fluid levels, but only if you asked.  Most "full serve" stations probably don't even do that now.  Kind of stupid, since most people would probably buy a quart of oil if they were down.

I think what I remember most about the full service station is the little black sensor that you would run over as you pulled in.  Ding ding! :)

Oh, I have a question for you.  Is there a way to get rid of the little quick reply window that pops up when I try to respond to a post?
Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/05 at 1:25 pm

Oh, I have a question for you.  Is there a way to get rid of the little quick reply window that pops up when I try to respond to a post?

??? not sure I understand the question
Written By: jackas on 03/04/05 at 1:35 pm

??? not sure I understand the question

Hmm...maybe it's not happening to anyone else.  What happens is when I try to reply to a post by clicking on reply with a quote.  A little box pops up that says quick reply.  I can type in this box and reply, but I don't have access to any of the options at the top (bold, font, smiley faces).
Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/05 at 2:28 pm

Hmm...maybe it's not happening to anyone else.  What happens is when I try to reply to a post by clicking on reply with a quote.  A little box pops up that says quick reply.  I can type in this box and reply, but I don't have access to any of the options at the top (bold, font, smiley faces).

under your profile, select "Look and Layout Preferences" and look for the quick reply function.
Written By: jackas on 03/04/05 at 7:50 pm

under your profile, select "Look and Layout Preferences" and look for the quick reply function.

I'll definitly try that, thank you so much! :)
Written By: jackas on 03/04/05 at 7:53 pm

Aahhhhhh, it worked.  Thanks again!
Written By: Czar Matthew on 03/07/05 at 10:58 am

We're lucky to have one run by volunteers near my hometown. You get to see two movies for $15 a carload. Plus the prices on snacks is really reasonable as well. Thats really the only time that I see new movies cause theatres are way over priced. My friends and I usually go every week, regardless of what is playing cause we always have a ton of laughs. Mind you we've had to sit through stinkers like New York Minute and Johnny English, but it was awesome!
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/07/05 at 11:00 am

there's one that's near where I live....it's called the Evergreen Drive-In.....check out their website...it's kinda neato!!

www.evergreendrivein.com

Erin :)
Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/08/05 at 5:57 pm

Goddddd I wish they had had 'drive-ins' here in the UK..

we still have quite a few old Art-Deco cinemas, usually we have to fight hard to keep them as some developer always wants to knock them down to build a characterless multiplex dump with screens the size of Goddam postage stamps!!!
Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/05 at 2:21 am

Goddddd I wish they had had 'drive-ins' here in the UK..

we still have quite a few old Art-Deco cinemas, usually we have to fight hard to keep them as some developer always wants to knock them down to build a characterless multiplex dump with screens the size of Goddam postage stamps!!!

I have always considered it is too cold for Drive-Ins in the UK, remember disasterous pop concerts in the rain.
Written By: gord on 03/09/05 at 8:36 am

I have always considered it is too cold for Drive-Ins in the UK, remember disasterous pop concerts in the rain.

They just shut down here for the winter, Drive-ins are still fairly popular around here, I know of at least 2 that have gone out of business within a 15 mile radius of me, just leaving 1 that does a great business during the summer months. And about an hr drive from me there is a triple screen Drive-in, cars park in the center facing outwards toward the screen you want to watch, all showing differant movies, great memories at drive-ins :)
Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/09/05 at 9:15 am

Hey Gord where in the UK do they have drive-ins then???

or are you American..looking at the way you spell center..I think you are?  :)
Written By: gord on 03/09/05 at 7:12 pm

Hey Gord where in the UK do they have drive-ins then???

Sorry I should have said, I'm in Canada :)
Written By: Xer on 03/31/05 at 12:51 pm

I live in Ohio, Home to Ceder Point and recently they took down the Pirate Ride which had things jumping out you, stuff like that.
Written By: Xer on 03/31/05 at 12:57 pm

The last time I saw a drive in movie was I think in 88 and watched Young Guns in Winsconson.
Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/31/05 at 5:20 pm

Yeah, I remember them. I always liked the spook houses that you walked through instead of the ones that you rode through. They seemed more creepy.
Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/31/05 at 5:21 pm

Oh can't we talk about really spooky things tonight, I'm in the mood to be scared stiff  :o :o
Written By: Webstor on 06/01/05 at 6:04 pm

There used to be a spooky ghost house ride at Idora Park near Youngstown many yrs ago before it burned down.

Also, I believe that Conneaut Lake Park in PA had a spook house that still is running, but its in bad shape......
Written By: saver on 06/03/05 at 4:47 pm

Ohio also had Geauga Lake Park-now owned by others..they had a little fun spook house ride that was a fun experience..Coney Island Park NY has/had numerous ones.. you almost HAD to try them to see what was most scary.

Most disappointing was one decorated outside like Batman then after the ride started, you went outside a door that took you throught the open back yard and the ride was over! Very lame!
those were the days!
Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/15/05 at 4:16 pm

Me and Chris went through one at Niagara and I was sooo scared I almost had a coronary running at 50 mph through the house - while Chris was laughing his head off at my terror.  :o :o
Written By: LikeTotallyTara on 06/15/05 at 11:44 pm

There was one in Atlanta (The 85 Twin Drive In) until sometime just a few years ago.  The last time I saw a movie there was "The Bodyguard" so that was a while ago.  I miss that place, and I ESPECIALLY miss going to the flea market there every Sunday when I was a kid.  :(
Written By: Apricot on 06/17/05 at 1:08 pm

We still have one near us that gets a ton of business every year.. they rake in huge profits, and we love it.
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/01/05 at 11:58 pm

We had one called the Bridgehead - they called it that because it was next to our Antioch Bridge. That one shut down and there's some legend that they started showing XXX movies on it - I bet that went well with drivers on the overpass  :P

We have one that's still hanging on for dear life in Concord (CA) named the Solano Drive in. It's very dinstinctive because for the entrance it has a "M" shape for cars to drive through. I will be sad to see that go.
Written By: onlytranslating on 08/17/05 at 8:16 pm

They used to have one in SLO on the central coast of California for a while.  I had a lot of fun there.
Written By: Mushroom on 09/07/05 at 9:09 pm

They actually opened a new drive-in near where I live.  It is a 4 screen theatre, and it has an awesome in-car stereo system (different frequency for each screen, no need for that wire to attack to your antenna).

I have gone 2 times so far.  I saw Hitchhikers Guide and Star Wars 3 there.  Since then, most of the movies have sucked though, so have not bothered.
Written By: whistledog on 09/08/05 at 2:55 am

The drive-in we used to have here was right smack in the middle of town.  The last movie I ever saw there was "The Last Starfighter" in 1984.  They tore it down a few years later and built a shopping plaza :(
Written By: Wiffle on 09/23/05 at 12:36 am

We have two drive-ins that we go to. One is 100 miles away and has been around since the 1950s. It still looks the same. They even have a covered area outdoors where you can sit in those 1950s clamshell style metal chairs. They have speakers broadcasting the movie to the seating area. At the end of the show, the young guys that work there jump start cars whose batteries have died.

The other is about 50 - 60 miles and just opened last winter. It has a retro look even though it is new. The new drive-in has speakers on poles plus the broadcast on the radio.

I love the drive-in!  :D

The site http://www.drive-ins.com/ is great. There are a lot of drive-ins left out there. Well, maybe not a lot, but more than you might think.
Written By: star500 on 11/04/05 at 2:12 pm

There are not many drive-ins left in Canada. :\'( There is one left in Ontario I think. It's called Port Elmsley Drive in and it is in Perth, I believe. I have not been to it, but I've heard of it. I have never been to a drive in unfortunately (was born at the wrong time, I am an '90s child, born in the '80s ;D) My mom, however, has been to a few drive-ins. I'm not sure what movies she saw at the drive-in though....this would have been in the '70s. She might have seen The Omen at a drive-in, but I would have to ask her for sure.
Written By: gord on 11/05/05 at 6:34 pm

There are not many drive-ins left in Canada. :\'( There is one left in Ontario I think. It's called Port Elmsley Drive in and it is in Perth, I believe.

there are still a few scattered around Ontario, you might be suprised if you do a search :)
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/05/05 at 7:19 pm

There used to be drive-ins in Absecon and Egg Harbor Township(NJ)..both are now gone. The Absecon one was shut down because the locals in both Absecon and Pleasantville raised a ruckus about R- and X- rated movies being shown there, 'where our kids can see it'..yes it could easily be seen if you lived near Absecon Bay. The EHT drive-in was torn down for the Towne 16 theatre, which is not too shabby.
Written By: GREEN67 on 12/19/05 at 1:10 pm

8)  We still have the same Drive-In here that I went to as a kid..Summer Twin drive in...It hasnt changed much except the crowd now is annoyingly young..guess cause I am old..LOL...We used to pile at least 3 in the trunk to get in free and someone else would drive a pickup truck..we would put our chairs in the back and have a GREAT time!!...I havent been in some time..my husband and I went to see "Titantic" when our daughter was little and she cried half the movie...But I will always love the Drive-In!!
Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/19/05 at 1:36 pm

I live in a very small and country town (Sparta, TN, but I'm from PA so fortunately I'm not that country!), and they just reopened a really old drive in a few years ago.

They're open every weekend during the summer, and around Halloween they'll open again and play a bunch of new and old Haloween movies. Yeah, it's pretty cool. Sparta's the only town I know around here that has a functioning drive in. <3
Written By: marc42 on 01/24/06 at 7:06 pm

We have a few in AZ, and even they are multiplexes! :( There's a 4 screen in Tucson, and two theatres in the Phoenix area, one with 6 screens and one with 9!

It's still fun though, they run the main feature as soon as the sun goes down, then a second run or otherwise "lesser" film, and then the main one again. So you can go early and get out by 11 or so, or go late and stay way past midnight. If I lived near it, I would go regularly, but I try to go once every few years. They broadcast the sound over FM. If the movie sucks, you can twirl the radio dial around and try to listen to one of the movies on either side of you. (The screens are layed out in a big wheel, with a projection tower in the middle.)

Last movie I saw in a REAL Drive-In was "Tron"!
Written By: gmann on 02/07/06 at 5:46 am

There was a drive-in just down the road from where I grew up in northeast Ohio, but it went bust in the late 80s. It sat empty for several years before it was finally demolished...to make way for a Regal Cinema multiplex. Oh, the humanity.  ;) On the bright side, two drive-ins remain just north of there in Warren, Ohio. 

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/26/06 at 5:32 pm

Never been to one, but I'd love to go to one. There's one or two of them in my area, but their in different counties.
Written By: nally on 02/28/06 at 1:16 pm

About ten years ago, a drive-in theater in the West Valley (Chatsworth) was dismantled (after maybe 5 to 10 years of nonuse) and a regular Pacific movie theater (20 stadium theaters) was put in its place...with a large parking lot.
Written By: Marian on 05/10/06 at 2:55 pm

;Dis htere anyone here who went there?it closed in the early 80s,and there's a condo complex there now :(.They left a lot of the wild lands there though.it's near the hayes mansion.
Written By: Marian on 05/18/06 at 3:34 pm

Okay--has anyone ever HEARD of it??it was in san Jose.
Written By: wndysbg on 06/14/06 at 5:36 pm

Okay--has anyone ever HEARD of it??it was in san Jose.

Yes, yes, yes!!!!  I use to go there all the time as a kid.  Have many pictures of myself at Frontier Village.  It was a GREAT place for a kid to have fun.  Unfortunately Great America drove it out of business.  Do you remember Santa's Village off of highway 17 on the way to Santa Cruz?  That was another fun place to go as a kid.
Written By: Marian on 06/20/06 at 3:15 pm

Yes, yes, yes!!!!  I use to go there all the time as a kid.  Have many pictures of myself at Frontier Village.  It was a GREAT place for a kid to have fun.  Unfortunately Great America drove it out of business.   Do you remember Santa's Village off of highway 17 on the way to Santa Cruz?  That was another fun place to go as a kid.
Oh yes! I went to santa's Village.I remember the Christmas tree ride.Frontier Village is close to my home--I could ride my bike there  if I wanted to.The Hayes mansion is there--it's a nice place now, with a nice restaureant.No more hippies squatting there!
Written By: whistledog on 06/27/06 at 12:06 pm

Were there any roller rinks near you that are no longer in operation?

There was a great one here called "Studio 801".  It had a roller rink (with a dance floor), 5 pin bowling, arcade games, and cool mini rides like Bumper Cars, and one of those air castle thingies that you jump in.  In the 70s, it was called "13 Acres" and in the 90s, it was called "Celebrity Sportsworld", but to me, it will always be "Studio 801".  I used to have my birthday parties there when I was a kid, and those were great times.  Bowling a few frames, roller skating to some hip tunes, then having a burger and fries from the snack bar.  Man, those were the good old days.

In the mid-late 90s, "Celebrity Sportsworld" officially closed it's doors, and the building was eventually torn down  :\'(
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/27/06 at 12:12 pm

I LOVE Roller Rinks! We had one near us that my dad would take us to on Saturday mornings...it was called, "Reflections II"....but it closed down years ago. We do still have a few near us....but we don't go nearly as much. I would like to take Vaughn though soon! :)
Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/06 at 5:00 pm

I haven't seen one in years. I miss them.
Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 10:07 am

Roller Rinks seemed like a very 70s-90s sort of thing - I fondly remember 'Roller Discos' we periodically had in Primary (Elementary) school. It's sad that the last of the roller-skating rinks closed down about 3-4 years ago.  :\'(
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 10:37 am

Roller Rinks seemed like a very 70s-90s sort of thing - I fondly remember 'Roller Discos' we periodically had in Primary (Elementary) school. It's sad that the last of the roller-skating rinks closed down about 3-4 years ago.  :\'(

we still have a few near us. They have skating parties and sock hops still....I guess some people still try to keep traditions going. :)
Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 10:45 am

we still have a few near us. They have skating parties and sock hops still....I guess some people still try to keep traditions going. :)

I wonder if anyone straps on their good old fashioned Roller-skates, instead of the new-flangled (for 1989 at least), Inline blades which came out in the 1980s. Nowadays you see few people riding even those.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 10:46 am

I wonder if anyone straps on their good old fashioned Roller-skates, instead of the new-flangled (for 1989 at least), Inline blades which came out in the 1980s. Nowadays you see few people riding even those.

I still use the old roller skates...never could quite get the concept of the inline blades.
Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 11:39 am

I still use the old roller skates...never could quite get the concept of the inline blades.

Good onya! I myself have never tried out the skates, growing up in the Roller-blading generation...
Written By: hot_wax on 07/10/06 at 1:43 am

This is more of a personal loss of "Places That No Longer Exsit" but if anyone who reads this and bowled there will agree with me, that now, even with the Four Season's bowling alley gone, has a place in musical history. The Four Seasons bowling alley will forever be linked to the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" and now resently linked to the New York Broadway Theater's prestigious "Tony Award" through one of the most famous Rock and Roll singing group in history..."The Four Season's".

Nick Massi, Tommy DeVito and the Frankie Valli were introduced to Bob Gaudio at the Four Season's bowling alley by now famous Joe Pessi who then worked at the Four Seasons bowling alley. From that meeting the famed Rock and Roll group was born and took the name of the bowling alley "The Four Seasons" as their name for the group in tribute to the meeting, because it was a fitting name for the four of them and felt it was a good omen for success...and the rest is history.

I'm always passing the site where the Four Seasons bowling alley in Union NJ stood, and as I look over now, I see this Costco super store in it's place. They demolished the Four Seasons bowling alley and there isn't anything that refers to the Four Season's bowling alley ever exsisting there. I think, with the history it holds linking it to the musical and theatrical worlds, there should be some kind of plaque or monument at the site in tribute to the Four Season's bowling alley for the roll it played in the forming the famous "Four Season's" singing group that has world wide recognition today. A tribute for all people to see how it all started at this spot where Four Season's bowling alley stood...

I said it's a personal loss because of all my memories of it, but if you're a real "Four Season's" fan, the loss is your's too. I think I'll spearhead a mission to get a plaque or monument put in front of Costco's front door...let's see what developes.

Hot Wax 
Written By: dj454s on 07/15/06 at 8:07 pm

I haven't been to one since 1990!  :) http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/balloons.gif Gilroy, CA. Built in the early '60's and probably is gone now. My elementary school used to have skate nights there back in the 1980s. I had my 10th birthday party there. Many good memories there!
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/04/06 at 6:19 pm

We had one growing up called Roller Haven. It actually is still in use by the same owners. We've known them for a long time. They are the same people who taught me how to roller skate.

We also had one in Pittsburg called Marina Skate, but it appears they shut it down around 2000 or possibly earlier. It was not that old of a rink, either. I remember when it was new and had a grand opening.
Written By: ktelqueen on 08/04/06 at 6:33 pm

..did someone say Roller Rink  8)

growing up in Dartmouth,Nova Scotia you could always find me at 'Saints" on Saturday afternoons..it turned into 'Wheelies'..such an awesome part of my childhood and so many memorable songs from those days  :)
Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/05/06 at 12:05 am

Wow, I had something to say on this topic but then I was smitten by the pic in the Ktel Queen's avatar.  :-*

OK, I used to love skating but the last time I went I ended up getting xrayed for a bruised tailbone! I thought it was like riding a bike and you didn't forget how.  :(
Written By: Dominic L. on 08/05/06 at 10:00 am

Roller Rinks... ah... the smell of sweaty gym socks and those rental skates that would give you blisters... Those were the good ol' days.
Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/13/06 at 10:38 am

You know what would be cool? A haunted roller rink  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Written By: jgordon24 on 10/22/06 at 4:41 pm

The Detroit Lions used to play home games at the potiac silverdome but got a new stadium and they use the parking lot of the old one for drive in movies....they have 4 screens
Written By: Gidgxx on 10/23/06 at 12:41 am

Theres a drive-in outside of Lindsay, Ontario, Canada. I remember going there as a kid. Saw movies like E.T and Battlestar Galactica on there. I know the battlestar galactica was a tv series but the first episode was put out in theaters and drive-ins first before they aired it on tv in the 70's
Written By: logic908 on 11/17/06 at 2:29 pm

Some of your NJ people may remember this place. It was a haunted house that lived on a pier in Brigantine NJ. Below is a link to a tribute site dedicated to the memory of the place....check it out

http://www.frightscape.com/article1.html

Written By: Marian on 02/01/07 at 3:26 pm

Oh yes! I went to santa's Village.I remember the Christmas tree ride.Frontier Village is close to my home--I could ride my bike there  if I wanted to.The Hayes mansion is there--it's a nice place now, with a nice restaureant.No more hippies squatting there!
I went tbere this Mother's day.
Written By: Jessica on 02/01/07 at 7:19 pm

I've heard of it. My parents used to go there a lot on dates and stuff and they have souvenirs saved from it.