inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Stadiums... never even thought of those before for the site
Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/05 at 2:30 pm

Though someone did submit the original Madison Square Garden.  Boston Garden for instance, in my own backyard, was host to many concerts (some of which I'm sure are filmed).

I do want to avoid adding every stadium though, just keep it to the ones that had non-sports events filmed there.
Subject: Re: Stadiums... never even thought of those before for the site
Written By: Alchoholica on 03/04/05 at 2:46 pm

Though someone did submit the original Madison Square Garden.  Boston Garden for instance, in my own backyard, was host to many concerts (some of which I'm sure are filmed).

I do want to avoid adding every stadium though, just keep it to the ones that had non-sports events filmed there.

Chucky.. i submitted Wembley stadium a while back, but i don't think you put it up. It has been demolished but there were a vast number of other events there.
Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/05 at 4:58 pm

Chucky.. i submitted Wembley stadium a while back, but i don't think you put it up. It has been demolished but there were a vast number of other events there.

actually, I did add it... your post on the messageboard was what prompted me to look at other demolished stadiums for ones that were used for other purposes.  I should have given credit where it's due. 

When you posted that, the site was still messed up (partially due to the hacker last fall, partially due to my lack of knowledge of PHP).  It's all functional now.  Going to add some pictures tonight when I get home from some movies I have on DVD.
Written By: Alchoholica on 03/04/05 at 5:03 pm

actually, I did add it... your post on the messageboard was what prompted me to look at other demolished stadiums for ones that were used for other purposes.  I should have given credit where it's due. 

When you posted that, the site was still messed up (partially due to the hacker last fall, partially due to my lack of knowledge of PHP).  It's all functional now.  Going to add some pictures tonight when I get home from some movies I have on DVD.

ah ok.. i hadn't seen it ya see that'd be why.

See not just a pretty face.. good ideas as well  ;D
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/22/05 at 6:42 pm

Wasn't the British part of Live Aid an event at Wembley?
Written By: ChuckyG on 03/22/05 at 9:45 pm

yes... got it up there on the site... though no pictures from the DVD yet.
Written By: Billy Florio on 05/25/05 at 12:13 am

just for braging rights: I was the one who submitted the original Madison Square Garden...which of course is featured in the original Manchurian Canditate
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/25/05 at 1:04 am

The American part of Live Aid was televised from JFK Stadium in Philadelphia,which was demolished in the early '90s due to unsafe conditions...
Written By: Webstor on 06/01/05 at 6:06 pm

Cleveland's Municipal Stadium, where the Indians and Browns used to play......with good ol' Chief Wahoo out front.  Can now only be seen if you watch the movie "Major League"........

sad....
Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/11/05 at 11:39 pm

I just got the Def Leppard video "In the Round/In Your Face."  Most of it was filmed at McNichols Arena in Denver, CO, which isn't there anymore.  I think the Pepsi Arena, closer to downtown, replaced it.

Some others:
Kingdome, Seattle...they mentioned it in an epsiode of "Full House"
Old Comiskey Park, Chicago...that was where the disco records demolition took place
Milwaukee County Stadium...sorry, don't think much happened there though
Chicago Stadium, Chicago...Michael Jordan got his start here before the started winning championships at the United Center
The Omni, Atlanta...is this place the same as Philips Arena??
Written By: tv on 06/25/05 at 11:05 pm

Lets see stdiums that got torn down..notables anyway:

Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, PA: played host to Steelers and Pirates home games. Was toward down and replaced by Heinz field.
The Forum in Englewood, CA: Played host to Lakers and Kings home games.
Veterans Stadium in Philadephia, PA: played host to Phillies and Eagles home games. The Stadium was famous because of the rough turf playing surface.
Memorial Coliseum in Portland Oregon: Played host to Trailblazers(NBA) home games. The reason I think this was a prestige home for the Blazers was that the Blazers had a record number of playoff appearences(consecutive) while playing in this arena. Of course when my fave NBA teanm(the Jazz) used to come to this arena they always had a hard time winning in that arena. Those teams with Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, and Buck Williams were very talented in the late 80's/early 90's. That particular team lost NBA finals matchups to the Pistons in 90' and then lost to the Bulls in 92.

Subject: JFK Stadium Philadelphia
Written By: Drachen on 11/25/05 at 3:47 pm

JFK Stadium in Philadelphia (nee Philadelphia Municipal Stadium) was the
long-time home of the annual Army-Navy college football game and hosted the
Live Aid concert in July 1985.
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 3:47 am

Where did the New York Jets and The New York (NFL) Giants play before the Meadowlands was built...I mean at which stadiums in NYC did they play?
Subject: Re: JFK Stadium Philadelphia
Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/05/05 at 12:21 am

Don't get me started on the memories! Good!
Written By: dgrune on 12/12/05 at 3:31 pm

Milwaukee County Stadium...sorry, don't think much happened there though

I live in Milwaukee and was in the crowd when they filmed Major League there.  Yes, the movie is about the Cleveland Indians, but they used County Stadium for the game footage.
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/12/05 at 7:42 pm

Atlantic City High School's old stadium at Bader Field is no more, there was a concert there in the 1980's featuring Blue Oyster Cult and Aldo Nova...the stadium was also where Holy Spirit High School played their 'home' football games until they got their own stadium behind the school....which is in Absecon, NJ, right next door to where I live.
Written By: gmann on 02/01/06 at 3:39 pm

Someone mentioned Cleveland Municipal Stadium, best known as the home of the Cleveland Indians and Browns prior to its demolition in 1996. I don't remember if it was filmed or not, but the opening festivities for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame took place there in '95, featuring concerts by Lou Reed, Soul Asylum, Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, and more.

Unlike Wrigley Field and other older stadiums, Cleveland Municipal was never held in high regard by sportswriters or fans. I loved the place, even if it was half-empty most of the time...mostly because of the sad-sack Indians teams that played there in the 70s and 80s.
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/03/06 at 6:38 pm

Veterans Stadium in Philly...once home to the Philadelphia Eagles and Phillies as well as the Army-Navy game is gone due to the stadium's deterioration..it was so bad that a small part of the stadium collapsed and injured spectators at one Army-Navy game....and it was a miserable hot furnace in the summer...only one level had any kind of shade, and forget seeing the action if one was up in the 'cheap seats' at 700 level..not to mention nasty bathroom facilities and no handrails where the bleacher seats were for people who had difficulty climbing...Citizens Bank Park for the Phils and Lincoln Financial Field for the Eagles replaced the Vet...both nicer, more modern facilities.

I have to wonder when Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands will be replaced.....it's getting older too.
Written By: Allie Fox on 05/01/06 at 2:30 pm

Where did the New York Jets and The New York (NFL) Giants play before the Meadowlands was built...I mean at which stadiums in NYC did they play?

The Jets played at the Polo Grounds from 1960-1963 and in Shea Stadium from 1964-1983.

The Giants at the Polo Grounds from 1925-1955 and Yankee Stadium from 1956-1973.  The temporarily played at the Yale Bowl and Shea Stadium between 1973-1975.

Although it still stands where it always has, Shea Stadium is featured in its original glory in the 1968 movie "The Odd Couple."

Another place featured in that movie that no longer exists is Bohack Supermarket.
Written By: chiefyamick on 05/01/06 at 10:41 pm

Yeah you can't forget Milwaukee County Stadium!! A bunch of friends of mine went there to be extras in the movie...
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/03/06 at 6:09 pm

The Jets played at the Polo Grounds from 1960-1963 and in Shea Stadium from 1964-1983.

The Giants at the Polo Grounds from 1925-1955 and Yankee Stadium from 1956-1973.  The temporarily played at the Yale Bowl and Shea Stadium between 1973-1975.

Although it still stands where it always has, Shea Stadium is featured in its original glory in the 1968 movie "The Odd Couple."

Another place featured in that movie that no longer exists is Bohack Supermarket.
Thanks.
Subject: Re: JFK Stadium Philadelphia
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/03/06 at 6:21 pm

JFK Stadium was the site of the American part of the Live Aid concert!
Written By: 60schild on 05/28/06 at 3:27 pm

Okay, here's another one....Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota...the old home of the Twins.  If you go up there  now, you'd be inside..yep!...the Mall of America!  There's a spot in the mall that is marked as the point where Twins great Harmon Killebrew's longest home run landed...on the second deck of the bleachers.  Everyone goes to the mall. I know a couple who got married in the chapel there. ::)
Written By: namilliron on 06/05/06 at 8:56 pm

The Omni, Atlanta...is this place the same as Philips Arena??

The Omni is no more.  Philips Arena is completely different.
Written By: hot_wax on 06/08/06 at 8:27 pm

Where in Philly did Rocky Balboa win his title fight??? ::)
Written By: hot_wax on 06/08/06 at 9:42 pm

Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ, 1937 to 1985, had a lot of sports history connected to it. Jackie Robinson, the first Black ball player in the major league made his official professional debut April 18, 1946. In tribute to Jackie Robinsons historic debut, Jersey City placed a statue of him in Journal Square. Title fights were fought there, Rock concerts in the 60's of top bands performed there, many events took place there to mention. It was falling apart and had to be demolished and it was in 1985 for a housing development. 

I was there a couple of times in the 50's to see my friends father and brother race midget racing cars.

HW
Written By: Rex on 06/11/06 at 10:21 pm

Riverfront stadium in Cincinnati, and before that, Crosley Field. Crosley was absolutely tiny by today's standards (20,000 seats) but gave a baseball game a sense of intimacy that is lacking today in most parks.