inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Restaurants we all loved
Written By: whistledog on 09/07/05 at 10:40 am

When I was a kid, my folks used to take me to the A&W Drive-In for a burger.  The waitresses would come out and put the trays on your windshield.  I used to always get a Teen Burger and Coney Fries, although on occasion, I would get a Whistle Dog (that's where I got my username) and Onion Rings.  Man, do I miss going there  :\'(

If you ever see the 1988 movie 'The Great Outdoors', that girl that Buck likes works at an A&W Carhops

Subject: Re: A&W Carhops
Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/10/05 at 5:14 am

Believe it or not, there is still one of these here in my town in Modesto, California. :D
Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/05 at 6:04 am

When I was a kid, my folks used to take me to the A&W Drive-In for a burger. The waitresses would come out and put the trays on your windshield. I used to always get a Teen Burger and Coney Fries, although on occasion, I would get a Whistle Dog (that's where I got my username) and Onion Rings. Man, do I miss going there :\'(

If you ever see the 1988 movie 'The Great Outdoors', that girl that Buck likes works at an A&W Carhops

I'll check it again, but I think you're right. If it's not an A & W it's someplace pretty similar.

Another movie it reminds me of is the original Vacation - remember when the Griswolds pull into the drive-in (when Aunt Edna is still with them) and Clark takes the tray himself, shattering the driver's side window? ;D

Anyway, I love those myself. There's still a couple in San Jose and more in the Bay Area (when I was younger, we went to the one in San Rafael alot), but they don't seem as popular as they once were. I hope they stay around though.
Written By: robby76 on 09/12/05 at 4:05 am

There's an A&W Drive-in near me... it's been there since the 1950's / 60's. Here's a pic of it. The surroundings have changed a lot since the 70's and 80's but this place stands still - gawd bless it! I used to love their Coney Dogs and root beer floats... i still indulge in the odd float once in a while.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/miester30/aw.jpg
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/12/05 at 9:03 am

We have an A&W near us...but it's not a drive-in type....it's a regular restaurant paired up with Long John Silvers.  Do you guys have any Sonic Burgers where you live? When we visit my relatives down in S. Carolina...we always love to stop there.

Erin :)
Written By: Marty McFly on 09/12/05 at 11:21 am

There's an A&W Drive-in near me... it's been there since the 1950's / 60's. Here's a pic of it. The surroundings have changed a lot since the 70's and 80's but this place stands still - gawd bless it! I used to love their Coney Dogs and root beer floats... i still indulge in the odd float once in a while.

Hey Robby, that particular one, and its surrounding area looks pretty cool - it actually kinda resembles the Courthouse Square in BTTF Part II from 2015 (the flashy colors, etc). :)
Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 11:54 am

There are a few still around.

http://www.awrestaurants.com/default.htm

Cat
Written By: whistledog on 09/12/05 at 6:55 pm

We have an A&W near us...but it's not a drive-in type....it's a regular restaurant paired up with Long John Silvers.  Do you guys have any Sonic Burgers where you live? When we visit my relatives down in S. Carolina...we always love to stop there.

I've heard great things about Sonic.  They don't exist here in Canada :(  Here in Canada, we don't have Sonic, IHop, In-N-Out Burger, Bob's Big Boy, Hardee's/Carl's Jr, or Checkers :(
Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/15/05 at 4:02 pm

We have a Carhop A & W in Ontario, CA ( thats Cali not Cananda )

http://www.awrestaurants.com/cruisindates/default.htm

http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/mugshots/awhist.htm

http://www.awrootbeer.com/corp_location.htm

http://www.awrootbeer.com/hist_hist.htm
Written By: TheRemf on 09/17/05 at 5:42 pm

Sonic is big in Kansas, but there are still A&Ws in some of the small towns.  The Sonics all have carhops, but I don't know if any of the A&Ws do.
Written By: whistledog on 09/19/05 at 9:37 pm

I suddenly have a craving for an A&W Grandpa Burger  ;D  I've never in my life had one before, but I'm so hungry, I could probably eat 2 of them  :o
Written By: chiefyamick on 09/21/05 at 3:08 am

I know there is and A&W restaurant not far from my home, can't quite remember if it is still in operation though. My cousin's friend's parents used to own it when I was younger, I can remember hanging out there all the time and getting root beer floats on a daily basis!!
Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/21/05 at 4:47 am

Hubby and I went to Sonic's just the other day, food was ok, but I had the most fun feeding the fat little birdies some of my hamburger bun and watching them scramble for french fries people left.  Some would fly off with a fry in their beak.

No, it doesn't take much to entertain me.  ;)
Subject: depending on living area... Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips
Written By: saver on 09/27/05 at 9:27 pm

After searching, the place STILLS exists but regionally.

I recall when I missed Krispy Kreme donuts..then the WEST discovered them and they are the rage!

Maybe the west wouldn't like the grease, but haven't found anything comparable...and oh,...just what kind of fish are they selling?

Remember a good fried COD? :P 
Subject: Re: depending on living area... Arthur Traechers Fish and Chips
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/05 at 9:41 pm

After searching, the place STILLS exixsts but regionally.

I recall when I missed Krispy Kreme donuts..then the WEST discovered them and they are the rage!

Maybe the west wouldn't like the grease, but haven't found anything comparable...and oh,...just what kind of fish are they selling?

Remember a good fried COD? :P 

we have Krispy Kreme Donuts...but their business isn't that great.  I don't think we ever had an Arthur Treachers around here....maybe about an hour from here, at one time.

Subject: Re: depending on living area... Arthur Traechers Fish and Chips
Written By: ktelqueen on 09/27/05 at 10:00 pm

LOVED Arthur Treacher's when i was a kid in Nova Scotia,Canada..the wide fries were the best! 8)
Subject: Re: depending on living area... Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips
Written By: Gaylon on 09/29/05 at 7:39 pm

We had an "Alfie's Fish n Chips" in Bryan, Texas in the 70's.  I was their best (and usually only) customer,
Written By: TheRemf on 09/29/05 at 8:28 pm

There were several Arthur Treachers' in Cleveland in the early 70s, but none that I know of growing up in Kansas.  Long John Silvers had that market locked up I guess.  I used to like Treachers' though.
Written By: saver on 09/30/05 at 8:46 pm

Yep, that's where I had it..Cleveland...mmmmm
Written By: star500 on 11/04/05 at 2:20 pm

I've heard great things about Sonic.  They don't exist here in Canada :(  Here in Canada, we don't have Sonic, IHop, In-N-Out Burger, Bob's Big Boy, Hardee's/Carl's Jr, or Checkers :(

We don't have a lot of places, do we? :( We also don't have The Olive Garden (although we used to!), The Ponderosa (again, we used to!), Papa's John's, Jack in the Box, TGI Friday's, etc, etc. It's a long list and I don't think I could go through them all, it would take to long, lol. :D
Written By: Skippy on 11/04/05 at 3:39 pm

We have a Sonic in Indy, it sucks(They're franchised you know). The Sonic in Albuquerque(South Eubank) was really good. I once made the mistake of ordering a large fries. I didn't know it came in a grocery bag. I had hiccups for 2 hours.

In Indy I usually eat at Rally's. The Big Beuford is pretty good.
Written By: saver on 11/04/05 at 4:41 pm

Sorry, they seem to have left the memories behind as I recall the Sloppy Joes in Ohio and after checking the official site/locator..they only sell burgers and hot dogs and fries..no mention of onion rings...

oh well....
Written By: whistledog on 11/04/05 at 9:21 pm

We don't have a lot of places, do we? :( We also don't have The Olive Garden (although we used to!), The Ponderosa (again, we used to!), Papa's John's, Jack in the Box, TGI Friday's, etc, etc. It's a long list and I don't think I could go through them all, it would take to long, lol. :D

The Ponderosa that used to be in my city changed into Red Lobster years ago  :\'(  There are still Ponderosa's in Canada, but not many  :(
Written By: ktelqueen on 11/04/05 at 9:24 pm

There are still Ponderosa's in Canada, but not many  :(

...and that's NOT a bad thing!!!! ten years ago when i moved to New Brunswick from Nova Scotia i was feeling nostalgic for Ponderosa since i hadn't been to one in forever..i went and quickly remembered why ;D :P
Written By: whistledog on 11/05/05 at 1:17 am

I can barely even remember what Ponderosa food tastes like.  Often, I'd favour other places like Swiss Chalet over Ponderosa
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/05/05 at 6:58 pm

There was an Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips in Pleasantville, NJ.....the place is now Jo-Jo's Italian Restaurant.
Written By: marc42 on 01/24/06 at 7:11 pm

There are tons of A&Ws in Arizona, but no carhops. Most of them are in truck stops or convenience stores, or in mall food courts. In Camp Verde, AZ, there's one that's a combo A&W/KFC.

I ate at A&W in Seligman, AZ just a few days ago. They still claim they make their root beer in the store in small batches. I don't know if it's true, but it does "feel" creamier than regular root beer.
Written By: marc42 on 01/24/06 at 7:13 pm

We had one in Lake Havasu City, AZ. It only lasted a few years...then it turned into a restaraunt where you cook your own food...that bombed and it became an arcade. The building is still there, can't remember what's in it now.
Written By: Webstor on 01/25/06 at 6:14 pm

Believe it or not,
Here in Youngstown, Ohio...we still have an A & W Drive in that has been here since the 50's.  The waitresses still come out to your car to bring you your food.  It is absolutely great...nothing better than a foot long coney dog and an ice cold root beer float.
Written By: whistledog on 01/26/06 at 11:09 pm

Believe it or not,
Here in Youngstown, Ohio...we still have an A & W Drive in that has been here since the 50's.  The waitresses still come out to your car to bring you your food.  It is absolutely great...nothing better than a foot long coney dog and an ice cold root beer float.

They put the Coney Sauce on the Hot Dog?  Man, that sounds very tasty.  Wish they'd do that at our A&W's here  :\'(
Written By: robby76 on 01/27/06 at 1:03 am

I thought they did COney Dogs in all their restaurants worldwide?
Written By: ktelqueen on 01/27/06 at 1:07 am

J,can we talk about a hotdog in a foil bag and an orange plastic fork-like thing for fries?man..great memories  8)..the carhops were THE BEST!! :)
Written By: gmann on 01/29/06 at 11:31 pm

Ah, Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips. One of my favorite fast food spots while growing up in northeast Ohio. There was one in suburban Youngstown that my folks and I used to go to once in a while. It's still there today, but I'm not sure if any other locations exist in that past of the world.

On a related note: I remember having some of their fish and chips at a friend's once while in college. He kept insisting "you don't put ketchup on Arthur Treacher's chips!" I practically had to pull him away from the fridge to let me get some Heinz. What a mized up kid.  :)
Written By: whistledog on 01/29/06 at 11:50 pm

I thought they did COney Dogs in all their restaurants worldwide?

A&W Canada is separate from the ones in America.  We don't have Coney Dogs.  We have Whistle Dogs (they come with cheese, bacon and relish) and just regular Hot Dogs

J,can we talk about a hotdog in a foil bag and an orange plastic fork-like thing for fries?man..great memories  8)..the carhops were THE BEST!! :)

U have to get Coney Sauce on the fries though.  It's a crime to go to A&W and not get Fries w/ Coney Sauce ;D
Written By: Webstor on 02/01/06 at 8:14 pm

Still have Arthur Treacher's here on the East side of Cleveland.......had one in Youngstown where I grew up too...
one right down the street from me now as a matter of fact......
however Ive always been more partial to Long John Silvers
Subject: AW
Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/01/06 at 12:27 am

There was a traditional one in Sterling, Illinois that we went to when we to that town but it closed in the very late 90's. The only one I know of left is in Dubuque but it too is a LJ Silvers pair in a psuedo 3 story building in downtown. However the carhop novelity has pretty much been absorbed by Sonic which actually is growing in my area. 
Written By: robby76 on 05/26/06 at 5:12 am

I posted earlier and had a recent pic of my childhood A&W drive through, well I've now found a picture of it from the 70s as I used to know and love it...

Now

Then
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/miester30/A_n_W.gif
Written By: wndysbg on 06/14/06 at 5:40 pm

Believe it or not, there is still one of these here in my town in Modesto, California. :D

I live just a little north of Modesto and know exactly where that A&W is. . . .  now the newest trend that I have seen is an A&W combining with a Kentucky Fried Chicken place.  Chicken or burgers - your choice.
Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/16/06 at 5:49 am

I live just a little north of Modesto and know exactly where that A&W is. . . .  now the newest trend that I have seen is an A&W combining with a Kentucky Fried Chicken place.   Chicken or burgers - your choice.
Yeah there are several of those in our area. I'm not a big fan of those. The burgers aren't as good at those KFC/A&W ones for some reason. That one in modesto is one of the original ones. It has been there decades. I think the next time I go near it, I will eat there. 8)
Subject: Stuckey's
Written By: gemini on 06/21/06 at 5:42 pm

I remember going on family vacations in the 60s and early 70s and it never failed, no matter where we went, there was always a Stuckey's somewhere along the way.  Usually alot more than one, they were everywhere. We would stop and get some cheesy souvenier and something to eat.  I guess they're still around, although I haven't seen any in a long time. Here's a link to their site. Some pretty neat pics to look at.

http://www.stuckeys.com/index.php
Subject: Re: Stuckey's
Written By: lorac61469 on 06/21/06 at 10:36 pm

I still see them around but there aren't nearly as many as there once was.

I remember always getting a pecan log, and eating it until I almost made myself sick, they were so sweet!
Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/06 at 10:41 am

Having travelled across the country several times, I am VERY familar of Stuckeys. We used to laugh that there was one just about every 10 miles or so (sometimes shorter than that). Now, there are only a few left-but you can see where many of them used to be. The building/signs are still there even though they went out of business.

Cat
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/22/06 at 12:22 pm

Wow...believe it or not...I've never heard of Stuckey's.  It's roadside attraction theme kind of reminds me of the "Waffle House" restaurants that you see like every 10 miles while traveling down south!
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/18/06 at 2:21 pm

We had a restaurant in Antioch called "The Happy Steak" I just ran across this picture of the tray you got when you went and I haven't seen this tray in about 18 years. I remember going there for some food and my cousin and I got our drinks and we sat down and then I accidently knocked mine over and got her and I all wet and full of soda!  ;D

http://theimaginaryworld.com/kixo13.jpg
Subject: Re: Happy Steak
Written By: Jessica on 07/18/06 at 8:12 pm

Oh my gosh! I've been thinking about this place for awhile now! I thought I was the only person who remembered it. We used to have one in Salinas, Ca., but they closed it down and opened a tacky Chinese buffet. And believe me, the Chinese buffet doesn't compare to the Happy Steak at all!

I miss that place.  :P
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/06 at 8:15 pm

We had a restaurant in Antioch called "The Happy Steak" I just ran across this picture of the tray you got when you went and I haven't seen this tray in about 18 years. I remember going there for some food and my cousin and I got our drinks and we sat down and then I accidently knocked mine over and got her and I all wet and full of soda!  ;D

http://theimaginaryworld.com/kixo13.jpg

I've never heard of the place...but that tray is beyond cute! ;)
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/20/06 at 6:58 pm

Oh my gosh! I've been thinking about this place for awhile now! I thought I was the only person who remembered it. We used to have one in Salinas, Ca., but they closed it down and opened a tacky Chinese buffet. And believe me, the Chinese buffet doesn't compare to the Happy Steak at all!

I miss that place.  :P

It was an interesting place. Probably one of the last 1970's like places we had that also eventually was shut down in probably 1990 (about the time they redeveloped the East County Mall into an indoor mall from an outdoor mall). I can't remember what I use to eat there because when I was young, I wasn't too fond of steak. It was hard to chew in my tiny mouth  ;D
Written By: Davester on 07/21/06 at 6:21 pm

Cool pic of the Happy Steak tray.  I've seen some HS coffe mugs on ebay awhile back...

Last time I ate at a Happy Steak was in 1980 with my father and grandfather.  This one was in Vallejo which is now a dry cleaners, I believe...
Written By: mandyj85 on 08/11/06 at 3:35 pm

Still one in Portage, WI. Not 50's style, but still relatively old school. I loved going and getting a gallon of root beer to take home, making root beer floats...good stuff!
Written By: Gidgxx on 10/23/06 at 12:50 am

I remember my dad taking me to an A&W drive in when I was a kid. They closed that one in the 80's. All we have now is the resturant type now.
Written By: Lindee on 10/23/06 at 10:15 am

I loved Arthur Treacher Fish & Chips in the 70s. I was bummed when they started clsoing them in the 80s. I was shocked to find one in Lancaster, Ohio when I went to visit my brother this past summer.
Written By: DJ Midas on 11/08/06 at 10:07 pm

"Put an Arthur Treacher's smile on your face!"  :D

At least that's what I recall the commercial saying years ago when they had them in Phoenix.  That was good eats.

I guess there's a few in the Raleigh-Durham area.  I'm no longer there.  Oh well.
Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/06 at 4:47 pm

I do know there are still a few in California.  If there were any out my way, they were gone by the '70s.  The closest thing we had in Milford (NH) was a local joint called "Hayward Ice Cream." (formerly "Hayward Farms Ice Cream from 1940 'till the name changed in the 1970s) 
I swear it was gone, but apparently it's still there.

Long, long before my time:

http://www.milfordpictures.com/emAlbum/albums/Business%20and%20Industry/haywards3.jpg
Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/06 at 6:48 pm

I remember one in Tulsa that I used to go with my grandmother every Tuesday (because of a special they had).

FYI: Arthur Treacher was an old time actor who was in Mary Poppins and many other movies. He started his own fast food place LONG before Roy Rogers did.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0871546/

Cat
Written By: esoxslayer on 11/26/06 at 7:53 pm

There is still an Arthur Treachers in Syracuse.........
Written By: Mushroom on 12/05/06 at 11:01 am

After searching, the place STILLS exists but regionally.

I used to love eating there.

When I lived in Hollyweird, I actually found one on the East side of town where Hollywood and Sunset meet.  I decided to stop in and have some of their good Fish & Chips.

Oh boy, what a dissapointment!  The "chips" they served were actually regular French Fries.  And both the fish and the fries were cooked in what was obviously old oil that was starting to go rancid.  And when I asked for some Tartar Sauce, I was amazed that I had to buy it!  They wanted a quarter for a small pre-packaged packet, or $1 for a small 2-3 ounce container of "premium sauce".

Needless to say, that was the last time I ate there. 
Written By: Jessica on 12/05/06 at 11:16 am

Out of curiosity, I googled it and looked for one in Indiana. There is one in the town right next to us. I might have to go try it now.
Written By: Catmanmjb on 12/12/06 at 10:17 pm

Aruthur Treacher was at the Hudson Mall, Jersey City when I went with my aunt to Two Guys in the 70's. It became a Phillipine restaurant and then was vacant for years before a Cingular moved in.

Well I had to go back to the mall recently and in a Nathan's Hot Dog is ALSO an Arthur Treachers with a sign saying "the taste you loved is back."

Funny.
Written By: Fred on 12/21/06 at 9:32 pm

Hmmm, I thought we had IHOP. Of course I think a lot of things, and a lot of times they turn out to be wrong. But if we don't, Denny's pancakes will have to do.
Written By: whistledog on 12/22/06 at 12:52 am

Hmmm, I thought we had IHOP. Of course I think a lot of things, and a lot of times they turn out to be wrong. But if we don't, Denny's pancakes will have to do.

We miss out on alot of U.S. Restaurants, but then again, so do they

America doesn't have Swiss Chalet, Harvey's or Mary Brown's Chicken
Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/06 at 3:50 pm

Denny's pancakes!  Oh the horror!
:o
Written By: malibumike65 on 01/18/07 at 4:11 am

We miss out on alot of U.S. Restaurants, but then again, so do they

America doesn't have Swiss Chalet, Harvey's or Mary Brown's Chicken

I'm Canadian also. I don't know if they have this in the US or not, but we used to have a Dixie Lee Chicken takeout stand in our city. It beat KFC by a mile in the taste department in my opinion.
Written By: whistledog on 01/18/07 at 12:46 pm

I'm Canadian also. I don't know if they have this in the US or not, but we used to have a Dixie Lee Chicken takeout stand in our city. It beat KFC by a mile in the taste department in my opinion.

Dixie Lee is awesome, and is so much better than KFC yes.  I don't believe they exist in the US
Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/29/07 at 5:13 pm

This was one of my favorite restaurants as a child. I always got the same thing: Steak, cheese toast, and a golden spud.

I was shocked when they went out of business.
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/29/07 at 6:13 pm

This was one of my favorite restaurants as a child. I always got the same thing: Steak, cheese toast, and a golden spud.

I was shocked when they went out of business.

Same here. I had some great memories going there. Ours was part of a small strip mall separated from the main outdoor mall in Antioch. It also had a Straw Hat Pizza next door. Once both places closed down, they demolished the building. I sometimes drive through that portion of the parking lot and think - wow, there was a building there that we use to frequent and it's totally gone!!
Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/07 at 1:09 am

That pic reminds me of the time down South when my brother-in-law wanted a souvenir Waffle House plate.  They said no, so he just stole one and they were none the wiser!

http://www.chrisglass.com/journal/images/2004/0124_wafflehouse/0124_wafflehouse_menu2.jpg

8)
Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/30/07 at 1:08 pm

Same here. I had some great memories going there. Ours was part of a small strip mall separated from the main outdoor mall in Antioch. It also had a Straw Hat Pizza next door. Once both places closed down, they demolished the building. I sometimes drive through that portion of the parking lot and think - wow, there was a building there that we use to frequent and it's totally gone!!
Yeah, there was a Straw Hat next to the one here as well. I loved both places actually. Straw Hat pizza was great. The building turned into a Pizza Hut after Happy Steak and Straw Hat left. Its still a Pizza Hut.

Straw Hat still exists. There are a few locations around the state, and one of them is about 40 miles from me. I have considered going from time to time, but every time I get the chance to eat something from my youth again(XLNT tamales, Chocodiles,etc.) the food tastes nothing like it did back then, and disappointment sets in.

I would just rather remember the fond memories instead of a reality check in the world we live in today.

Anyone know WHY Happy Steak went out of business? There is very little information about it on the internet.
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/30/07 at 5:06 pm

That pic reminds me of the time down South when my brother-in-law wanted a souvenir Waffle House plate.  They said no, so he just stole one and they were none the wiser!

http://www.chrisglass.com/journal/images/2004/0124_wafflehouse/0124_wafflehouse_menu2.jpg

8)

;D  My mom's ex-boyfriend once stole Black Angus Salt & Pepper shakers for her because she mentioned she liked them, lol.

I've actually been to one Waffle House in my lifetime in good ol' Virginny. I traveled further south and to my surprise, Waffle Houses were scattered everywhere!
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/30/07 at 5:14 pm

Yeah, there was a Straw Hat next to the one here as well. I loved both places actually. Straw Hat pizza was great. The building turned into a Pizza Hut after Happy Steak and Straw Hat left. Its still a Pizza Hut.

Straw Hat still exists. There are a few locations around the state, and one of them is about 40 miles from me. I have considered going from time to time, but every time I get the chance to eat something from my youth again(XLNT tamales, Chocodiles,etc.) the food tastes nothing like it did back then, and disappointment sets in.

I would just rather remember the fond memories instead of a reality check in the world we live in today.

Anyone know WHY Happy Steak went out of business? There is very little information about it on the internet.

Hmm, I wonder if both (Straw Hat/Happy Steak) were part of a small franchise? This should be investigated!  We also have a Straw Hat here, but since the damnation of the former building that held both restaurants, they have since occupied another building and have been there for at least the last 15 years. Our nearest Straw Hat is actually very close. It's probably about within 5-10 miles of where I'm at now.
Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/30/07 at 9:01 pm

Hmm, I wonder if both (Straw Hat/Happy Steak) were part of a small franchise? This should be investigated!  We also have a Straw Hat here, but since the damnation of the former building that held both restaurants, they have since occupied another building and have been there for at least the last 15 years. Our nearest Straw Hat is actually very close. It's probably about within 5-10 miles of where I'm at now.
Yeah, I'll do a little digging. See what I can come up with. Next time you get a craving for pizza, you should try out that Straw Hat, and give me your review. If its still anything like it used to be, maybe I'll make the 40 mile journey for a trip down memory lane.

I think Happy Steak was ahead of its time. It was basically a fast food steakhouse. Unheard of then, and unheard of now.
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/31/07 at 3:56 pm

Yeah, I'll do a little digging. See what I can come up with. Next time you get a craving for pizza, you should try out that Straw Hat, and give me your review. If its still anything like it used to be, maybe I'll make the 40 mile journey for a trip down memory lane.

I think Happy Steak was ahead of its time. It was basically a fast food steakhouse. Unheard of then, and unheard of now.

Straw Hat is still good. I had it about a year ago. The crust is very doughy. I think my only problem was the sauce. There are some spices I'm not very fond of in certain pizza sauces, and in there sauce they had one of those spices. Still, I can't help eating pizza no matter how the sauce tastes.

Yeah, I never looked at Happy Steak that way, but you're right - it was like a fast food steak house.  :)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 9:22 pm

Do you guys remember the Big Boy Restaurants? Around here, the popular on was Elby's Big Boy...but I know in other areas they used other names. I believe the first one was Bob's Big Boy. Here's little info that I found regarding the history of the restaurants.

http://www.bigboy.com/history1.asp

We used to have one in each of our malls...they had the best cheeseburgers there. My family would always go there for lunch after we had shopped at the mall for the day.  Do any of you have any good memories of this restaurant?
Subject: Howard Johnson's
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 9:26 pm

When I think about things retro, my thoughts always seem to include a Howard Johnson's. With their trademark orange roofs, they always remained an icon when it came to vacations, and traveling with my family. I found a great website that talks about all things HoJos....it's definitely worth checking out!

http://hojoland.homestead.com/history.html
Subject: Re: Big Boy Restaurants
Written By: lorac61469 on 02/02/07 at 9:27 pm

When my husband and I were dating we'd drive over to New Jersey so we could eat at Bob's Big Boy.  It was the only place he could find decent biscuits and gravy. 

I don't remember a lot about the place except for the great breakfast food and the statue of Bob or is his name Big Boy?  :D

Subject: Re: Howard Johnson's
Written By: lorac61469 on 02/02/07 at 9:29 pm

There is an old HoJo's here in Bristol, it was bought by another hotel many years ago.  It's the classic 50's style but it has since been painted red and white. 
Subject: Re: Howard Johnson's
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 9:36 pm

Here are some neato retro pictures that deal with HoJo's

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/944/adforhowardjohnsonsprinxm8.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/6982/howardjohnsonsjm3.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/1975/images64hojo2pc9.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/430/240em6.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/7757/ad0806zd4.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/2294/hojoold1950af7.jpg
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 9:37 pm

When my husband and I were dating we'd drive over to New Jersey so we could eat at Bob's Big Boy.  It was the only place he could find decent biscuits and gravy. 

I don't remember a lot about the place except for the great breakfast food and the statue of Bob or is his name Big Boy?   :D

Around here ours was Elby's....so we'd either call him Elby...or the Big Boy. He was notorious for getting stolen many times by pranksters. :D
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 9:39 pm

Here's a neat link to some great pics of many different Big Boy Restaurants

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/rpeekeast/eatseast/bigboyeast/
Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/03/07 at 6:33 pm

I remember Elby's Big Boy restaurants.  We had several in Wheeling, WV and St. Clairsville and Martins Ferry, Ohio.  And when I was dating my first husband I'm sure we ate at one near where he lived near South Hills Mall in Pittsburgh.

We still have a couple Frische's Big Boys where I live now, of course, they are just not the same, but very similar.  Alot of the menu is still the same, including those wonderful Hot Fudge Ice Cream cakes that I can no longer have..  I used to dream of those things.  lol

We used to eat at them alot when I was growing up, and like lorac, my parents when they were dating, would eat at one of the ones in Wheeling alot because they had reseaonably priced food and was very good.

The one in St. Clairsville even had a drive-in eatery, where you parked your car and the waitress would come out to your car and take your order, which I always thought was cool.  But then, it doesn't take much to excite me.  ;D
Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/03/07 at 6:38 pm

I could have sworn I'd seen a topic on this before, but now I can't find it...so I'll start a new one.

Does anyone remember Isaly's?  I know they used to be big in the Pittsburgh area, and we even had one where I grew up in eastern Ohio.  Here is a picture.

http://www.brianbutko.com/Isaly/IDCstores/pBellaire.jpg

They had THE best chipped ham and the odd square ice cream cones but they were so good.  Also used to buy my Klondikes there before they were sold in regular grocery stores.  I am making myself hungry just talking about it.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/03/07 at 11:09 pm

I remember Elby's Big Boy restaurants.  We had several in Wheeling, WV and St. Clairsville and Martins Ferry, Ohio.  And when I was dating my first husband I'm sure we ate at one near where he lived near South Hills Mall in Pittsburgh.

We still have a couple Frische's Big Boys where I live now, of course, they are just not the same, but very similar.  Alot of the menu is still the same, including those wonderful Hot Fudge Ice Cream cakes that I can no longer have..  I used to dream of those things.  lol

We used to eat at them alot when I was growing up, and like lorac, my parents when they were dating, would eat at one of the ones in Wheeling alot because they had reseaonably priced food and was very good.

The one in St. Clairsville even had a drive-in eatery, where you parked your car and the waitress would come out to your car and take your order, which I always thought was cool.  But then, it doesn't take much to excite me.   ;D

that's very cool! I used to love to go to Elby's Big Boy....it reminded me of Eat-N-Park...but better, IMO.
Subject: Re: Isaly's Ice Cream and Deli
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/03/07 at 11:57 pm

ah yes...Isalys!  There were a few left (one in Greensburg and one in Irwin)....but they have both, sadly, closed down.  If I am correct, didn't Isaly's originate chipped ham?
Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/04/07 at 2:50 am

ah yes...Isalys!  There were a few left (one in Greensburg and one in Irwin)....but they have both, sadly, closed down.  If I am correct, didn't Isaly's originate chipped ham?

I think so.  And they did it best.  I can get chipped ham out here but it's not the same, I think it's too thick or not the same quality or something, it just doesn't taste right, not like I'm used to growing up with anyways.  :\'(
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/04/07 at 10:07 pm

I think so.  And they did it best.  I can get chipped ham out here but it's not the same, I think it's too thick or not the same quality or something, it just doesn't taste right, not like I'm used to growing up with anyways.  :\'(

it sucks when a good thing comes to an end. :-\\
Written By: tv on 02/26/07 at 2:31 am

TGI Friday's-There's plenty of them in Central New Jersey where I live. As for Ponderosa we used to have one in Somerset, NJ on Easton Ave in the 80's.

We used to have a Little Ceasers in Middlesex, NJ in the early 90's I think but I think they went out of business maybe altogether(Little ceasers.) I used to like their bread that you got with the pizza.
Subject: Re: Restaurants we all loved
Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/26/07 at 2:47 am

I think they were only a New Zealand thing, but a fast-food chain that no longer exists is a pie place called "Georgie Pie". Selling pies & other foods in a similar fashion as McDonalds and the like. They were bought out by McDonalds who more or less sadly dropped the chain & made the restaurants into McDonalds.  :-\\

I'm sure if they still existed now though, I'd probably not like the pies as I did when I was a kid.  ::)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/GEORGIE_PIE_LOGO.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgie_Pie