inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Animal acts that have gone by the wayside
Written By: Wiffle on 09/23/05 at 10:41 pm

I was thinking the other day about Knott's Berry Farm, an amusement park in Southern California for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

Over by the petting zoo, which is probably long gone (?), there was an amusement at the side of the path, like a box with a glass window on the front. Inside there was a toy piano, a light bulb, and a real chicken.

You'd put your quarter in, the light bulb would go on, and the chicken would peck like mad at the piano. Then, some chicken feed would come out of a chute into a little cup.

Sometimes the chicken would peck at the piano keys a few times and then peer at the chute with no response. It would peck at the piano some more and then feed would come out.

I suppose that sort of thing is frowned upon these days, putting lots of chickens out of a job.
Subject: Re: Animal acts that have gone by the wayside
Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/20/06 at 8:07 pm

Steel Pier in Atlantic City NJ had the diving horse...A horse and rider would actually dive from a platform into a pool of water. The SPCA deemed the act cruel to horses and the act was shut down.
Written By: nally on 04/21/06 at 5:04 pm

I was thinking the other day about Knott's Berry Farm, an amusement park in Southern California for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

Over by the petting zoo, which is probably long gone (?), there was an amusement at the side of the path, like a box with a glass window on the front. Inside there was a toy piano, a light bulb, and a real chicken.

You'd put your quarter in, the light bulb would go on, and the chicken would peck like mad at the piano. Then, some chicken feed would come out of a chute into a little cup.

Sometimes the chicken would peck at the piano keys a few times and then peer at the chute with no response. It would peck at the piano some more and then feed would come out.

I suppose that sort of thing is frowned upon these days, putting lots of chickens out of a job.

I'm quite familiar with the locale, having been to it a few times (most recently ten years ago)...but I never knew about a petting zoo. :-\\
Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/09/06 at 4:39 pm

I remember a similar act to the chicken piano player.

I lived in Elko, NV. for part of my childhood, and i recall an arcade where they had a chicken in a Tic-Tac-Toe game. You made the first move, and the chicken pecked at the light where it wanted its move placed. If the chicken won, it got fed. If you won, you got some small prize.

I fugure, if the chickens got put out of work, they were shipped to Carl's Jr.
You see, they still served us, after all! :D
Written By: SpaceHog on 06/06/06 at 3:23 pm

Educated Animals, in Arkansas. They had a chicken that would strut to Manic Monday by the bangles.
Written By: Paul on 06/06/06 at 4:07 pm

I don't suppose this lot are around anymore...
Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/06/06 at 5:06 pm

Here's a thought...

Now that Siegfried & Roy are out of magic, I suppose those white Siberian tigers are now out-of-work.