inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Yardbirds About to Be Shutdown...
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/10/06 at 12:36 am

A local chain of hardware stores are about to be shutdown in or around July, our newspaper said. Yardbirds has been a local Central Contra Costa County hardware store for about 60 years. Well, that is all going to be kaput now that Home DePOT has bought them out. Now, two of the last remaining ma and pop hardware stores we still have around are ACE Hardware and Orchard Supply. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go either any time soon. Simon's, also a local hardware store (the only one I was familiar with was in Walnut Creek), shut down about 15 years ago - probably also due to stores like Home Depot.

http://www.print2webcorp.com/news/santarosa/outlook2004/20040606/img/a_2_p06.jpg
Subject: Re: Yardbirds About to Be Shutdown...
Written By: nally on 04/10/06 at 12:38 am

Wow...when I first saw this, I thought it had something to do with the 60s band Yardbirds. I had no idea that it was also the name of a hardware store chain in northern California. :o
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/10/06 at 12:40 am

Wow...when I first saw this, I thought it had something to do with the 60s band Yardbirds. I had no idea that it was also the name of a hardware store chain in northern California. :o

Yeah, it's not the same band that had a few hits in the 60's (pre-Crosby, Stills and Nash), but an actual hardware store. :0)
Written By: nally on 04/10/06 at 12:50 am

Yeah, it's not the same band that had a few hits in the 60's (pre-Crosby, Stills and Nash), but an actual hardware store. :0)

How long has the store chain been around?
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/10/06 at 2:39 am

How long has the store chain been around?

I could've sworn I saw a sign saying they'd been around since 1946. I could be wrong. But that is quite some time.  :\'(
Written By: nally on 04/10/06 at 2:33 pm

I could've sworn I saw a sign saying they'd been around since 1946. I could be wrong. But that is quite some time.  :\'(

Then that would be long before the band was even formed...in fact, the band members were all little boys at that time!

But you're right...60 years is a long time for a hardware franchise to be around. :(
Written By: gord on 04/10/06 at 6:41 pm

Saddly, this seems to be the way alot of the old ma & pop hardware stores are going, we've lost most of them around here, the local one I go to alot is not a small ma & pop type store but it does have that feel, I know most of the employees and the owner by name and they know me, when I go into a home depot I usually get "this isn't my department" when I ask a question.
Written By: Davester on 04/23/06 at 1:07 am

A local chain of hardware stores are about to be shutdown in or around July, our newspaper said. Yardbirds has been a local Central Contra Costa County hardware store for about 60 years. Well, that is all going to be kaput now that Home DePOT has bought them out. Now, two of the last remaining ma and pop hardware stores we still have around are ACE Hardware and Orchard Supply. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go either any time soon. Simon's, also a local hardware store (the only one I was familiar with was in Walnut Creek), shut down about 15 years ago - probably also due to stores like Home Depot.

http://www.print2webcorp.com/news/santarosa/outlook2004/20040606/img/a_2_p06.jpg

Yeah, there's a small Yardbirds in Vallejo that, I've read recently, is supposed to be converted into some sort of "Home Depot Express".  I can't imagine a full sized Home Depot being built there, just not enough room.

The only hardware store here in Crockett, Pedrotti's, left for Benicia in the early 90s and eventually became an Ace Hardware.
Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/23/06 at 6:55 pm

Yeah, there's a small Yardbirds in Vallejo that, I've read recently, is supposed to be converted into some sort of "Home Depot Express".  I can't imagine a full sized Home Depot being built there, just not enough room.

The only hardware store here in Crockett, Pedrotti's, left for Benicia in the early 90s and eventually became an Ace Hardware.

It's just too bad that this is happening. Maybe because Home Depot lost a lot of money shutting down a good portion of their EXPO Design Centers, they decided to gobble up a smaller chain and make a profit there. So, Yard birds was at their mercy  :-[
Written By: Marian on 05/10/06 at 2:54 pm

i can walk to the OSH on Branham lane from my house!They always have cool calendars,but lately you have to buy something to get them.