inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Midgetvilles
Written By: velvetoneo on 06/18/06 at 3:53 pm

Do any of you have "midgetvilles"?

We have a few in the county just north of where I live. Apparently, there's one in a highway underpass by the Passaic River between nail polish factories, and there's another newer one behind the sleazy, mob-owned Holiday Inn on the highway. After the cast party for my play, a bunch of kids got arrested while getting high trying to drive to said Midgetville.
Subject: Re: Midgetvilles
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:09 pm

dude....there is supposedly one in Pennsylvania somewhere...I dunno. I guess some people tried to go there but the "little people" started throwing rocks at them....I have no idea.
Written By: Tia on 06/18/06 at 9:14 pm

wha... midgetvilles? what are they? i'd google it but i'm afraid of the results i'd get. :-\\
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:21 pm

here are some links that I found:

http://www.weirdus.com/stories/CA02.asp

http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/showthread.php?t=75&page=2
Written By: Tia on 06/18/06 at 10:32 pm

cool dude. sounds sorta like witch mountain -- collectives of people who are different from mainstream society somehow.
Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/18/06 at 11:43 pm

Hahaha, my ex-boyfriend and I wanted to go search for that place.
Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 10:56 am

Do any of you have "midgetvilles"?

We have a few in the county just north of where I live. Apparently, there's one in a highway underpass by the Passaic River between nail polish factories, and there's another newer one behind the sleazy, mob-owned Holiday Inn on the highway. After the cast party for my play, a bunch of kids got arrested while getting high trying to drive to said Midgetville.

Sounds very much like the movie Freaks, but of course it's nothing like that. Have you actually visited any of these communities?
Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 11:05 am

Sounds very much like the movie Freaks, but of course it's nothing like that. Have you actually visited any of these communities?
Would they let you in if youre not a midget?
Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:10 am

Would they let you in if youre not a midget?

I wouldn't see why not.
Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 11:14 am

I wouldn't see why not.
they might be angry and down on "the Man" for keeping his boot on their neck, sorta like the black panthers. Maybe they're envisioning these towns as midget utopias.
Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:17 am

they might be angry and down on "the Man" for keeping his boot on their neck, sorta like the black panthers. Maybe they're envisioning these towns as midget utopias.

From Midgets on TV.etc, it seems most of them want to assimilate into 'normal' society as much as possible, and not to be stigmatized, but of course there will be those who want to live apart from society. Of course, they won't want the place becoming a circus or anything, or anyone to 'expose' them for profit as a sort of novelty. Let's hope society has progressed from the 'Freaks' era circus shows.
Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 7:10 pm

From Midgets on TV.etc, it seems most of them want to assimilate into 'normal' society as much as possible, and not to be stigmatized, but of course there will be those who want to live apart from society. Of course, they won't want the place becoming a circus or anything, or anyone to 'expose' them for profit as a sort of novelty. Let's hope society has progressed from the 'Freaks' era circus shows.

Which is why they throw rocks at you if they attempt to come into their villages. They want isolation from the humans who make fun of them.

Actually, my mom is technically a tall midget, being 4'9" or so.
Written By: Trimac20 on 06/20/06 at 4:06 am

Which is why they throw rocks at you if they attempt to come into their villages. They want isolation from the humans who make fun of them.

Actually, my mom is technically a tall midget, being 4'9" or so.

That must be where you get your shortness from  ;). But that's not very nice of the midgets, throwing rocks and all (is this from personal experience)...
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/20/06 at 6:52 am

That must be where you get your shortness from  ;). But that's not very nice of the midgets, throwing rocks and all (is this from personal experience)...

they just don't want people invading their space and constantly making a spectacle of them 24/7. No...they shouldn't throw rocks...but we don't know what the other people did to deserve rocks thrown at them...some people can be very cruel. :-\\