inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Defunct Drive-Ins
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:24 pm

There are so many now defunct drive-in movie theatres nowadays.....we are very fortunate to have 3 working drive-ins very close to us. This is the place to share great memories about drive-ins of the past, and show pictures of favorite (now defunct) drive-ins.
Subject: Re: Defunct Drive-Ins
Written By: Apricot on 06/18/06 at 9:57 pm

We have a Drive-In, and every year since about 2001, there's a rumor that arises about February that they're gonna build a Sheetz on top of the ground.. but every May, it's back up and running.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:59 pm

I always hate when they tear them down to build some crap place that already exists on every other street corner. ::)
Written By: gemini on 06/20/06 at 6:55 am

Here's a the drive in my family went to when I was a kid.

From 1955

http://www.daytonhistory.org/images/glassneg_gallery/ncrnew-14.jpg

Here's another

http://bhsclass79.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/showletter.jpg

Now it's totally gone, torn down to make room for something else.  :\'(  I have some great memories from that place as a kid.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/20/06 at 6:58 am

Here's a the drive in my family went to when I was a kid.

From 1955

http://www.daytonhistory.org/images/glassneg_gallery/ncrnew-14.jpg

Here's another

http://bhsclass79.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/showletter.jpg

Now it's totally gone, torn down to make room for something else.   :\'(  I have some great memories from that place as a kid.

Very cool picture Rhonda....but the second one isn't showing up.  I love drive-in pictures!  When we were driving home from vacation this past Saturday, we were on these back roads in West Virginia....and what did I see? There was an old fashioned drive-in (complete with only one screen, and it still had the speakers that you hooked to your car). None of the drive-ins around us have those...our drive-ins have the specific radio stations for their drive-in.....and 2 out of the 3 of our drive-ins have at least 2 to 3 screens.  It was kinda neat seeing that drive-in still in it's nostalgic form.
Written By: gemini on 06/20/06 at 7:17 am

Very cool picture Rhonda....but the second one isn't showing up.  I love drive-in pictures!   When we were driving home from vacation this past Saturday, we were on these back roads in West Virginia....and what did I see? There was an old fashioned drive-in (complete with only one screen, and it still had the speakers that you hooked to your car). None of the drive-ins around us have those...our drive-ins have the specific radio stations for their drive-in.....and 2 out of the 3 of our drive-ins have at least 2 to 3 screens.  It was kinda neat seeing that drive-in still in it's nostalgic form.

I think it's showing up now. It really went downhill in that pic though. I hated it when they switched to the radio from the original speakers. It just ruined the whole drive in experience. And that's really what makes it so memorable, the whole experience of going. I remember when we were little, mom always made us wear our PJ's because she knew we would fall asleep before the movie was over. We'd take our own popcorn, and drinks but would still get to buy a treat at the concession stand.  There's been a really good documentary on drive-ins on PBS for the past week or so. Maybe it'll be on again this week, you should check it out. They talked about the advertisements they would show for the food at the concession stand and how unappetizing it looked in the pictures.  ;D  Alot of other cool stuff as well.  :)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/20/06 at 7:28 am

I think it's showing up now. It really went downhill in that pic though. I hated it when they switched to the radio from the original speakers. It just ruined the whole drive in experience. And that's really what makes it so memorable, the whole experience of going. I remember when we were little, mom always made us wear our PJ's because she knew we would fall asleep before the movie was over. We'd take our own popcorn, and drinks but would still get to buy a treat at the concession stand.  There's been a really good documentary on drive-ins on PBS for the past week or so. Maybe it'll be on again this week, you should check it out. They talked about the advertisements they would show for the food at the concession stand and how unappetizing it looked in the pictures.  ;D  Alot of other cool stuff as well.  :)

you have really neat memories....they are great!  That show sounds very interesting...I am a fan of those neat nostalgic documentaries. There's a guy from our area who does all sorts of great documentaries that air on PBS...maybe you have heard of him? His name is Rick Sebak (http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/sebakbiog.shtml).
Written By: gemini on 06/20/06 at 7:34 am

you have really neat memories....they are great!  That show sounds very interesting...I am a fan of those neat nostalgic documentaries. There's a guy from our area who does all sorts of great documentaries that air on PBS...maybe you have heard of him? His name is Rick Sebak (http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/sebakbiog.shtml).

Yea, I'm a huge sucker for nostalgia!  :D I'm glad you started this new section, I can't wait to find more pics of some of the funky vacation spots mom and dad used to drag us to in the 60s, and I love old diners and motels/motor lodges. I've never heard of  Rick Sebak, but I'll check out that link and see what I can find.  :)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/20/06 at 7:41 am

Yea, I'm a huge sucker for nostalgia!  :D I'm glad you started this new section, I can't wait to find more pics of some of the funky vacation spots mom and dad used to drag us to in the 60s, and I love old diners and motels/motor lodges. I've never heard of  Rick Sebak, but I'll check out that link and see what I can find.  :)

these things interest me so much!  I too love diners..etc..  I think you will love Rick Sebak's documentaries...I have a few of them.  One day I would love to take an RV and take a whole summer and travel across the US in search of neat roadside attractions and defunct places...that's always been a dream of mine. :)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/20/06 at 8:56 am

here are some neat retro pictures that I found at this awesome site:  www.drive-ins.com

http://www.drive-ins.com/imageslb/ugpsad1.jpg

http://www.drive-ins.com/imageslb/ugpsad3.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/06 at 11:12 am

We had one here called the Bath Road Drive-In.  It was right at the edge of town, and was a hoppin' place to go.  I saw "The Last Starfighter" there back in 1984.  What a fantastic film!  I was 6 years old, and to me, that was the greatest 8)

In the late 80s, they tore it down in favour of a shopping centre.  Everytime I go there, I still remember when the Drive-In was there.  My mom would take us to the A&W Carhops for a Burger and Fries, then we'd catch a movie.  Fun times :)
Written By: Dagwood on 06/25/06 at 9:51 pm

I was going to meet some friends yesterday and got off the freeway because of construction.  On the way I passed a drive-in I used to go to all the time.  All that is left is the sign.  Made me very sad.
Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/27/06 at 9:45 pm

This is one we'd drive past (when we'd go out to the lake for the day), it is about an hour from where I grew up in Barnesville, Ohio.  I don't know when it closed, it's sort of sad to drive past it.

I love drive-ins. http://www.mikesfreegifs.com/main4/miscellanious/drive_inn_sign.gif

http://www.forgottenoh.com/DriveIns/leatherwood-screen3.jpg
Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 07/01/06 at 9:23 am

Sadly my family (well my mum and I) still own our defunct drive-in :(

I do have some photos in an album somewhere from the day we had to pull the screen down. Apparently the local council felt it was a hazard to people walking under it. The fact that people had to be trespassing in order to walk under it - meant nothing to the council ! So down it had to come.
The projection box and the projectors are all still there but over the years we used the speakers and speaker poles for recycling.

The other drive-ins that we worked in - but didnt own - are now housing estates. Its very sad that they became solely valuable blocks of land instead of places of great entertainment.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/01/06 at 8:24 pm

I do have some photos in an album somewhere from the day we had to pull the screen down. Apparently the local council felt it was a hazard to people walking under it. The fact that people had to be trespassing in order to walk under it - meant nothing to the council ! So down it had to come.
The projection box and the projectors are all still there but over the years we used the speakers and speaker poles for recycling.

The other drive-ins that we worked in - but didnt own - are now housing estates. Its very sad that they became solely valuable blocks of land instead of places of great entertainment.

do you have any pictures of it that you could share with us?
Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/08/06 at 6:05 am

do you have any pictures of it that you could share with us?

Most of my books and photo albums are in storage (have been since I moved nearly 3 years ago as I dont have room for them). As a kid and teen I couldnt afford to buy film so photos were a bit of a rarity. The only ones I remember taking were the day we pulled the screen down - and I remember thinking at the time that it was a shame I have never taken photos of it when it was in its prime.
Written By: Trimac20 on 07/08/06 at 6:13 am

Which Drive-thru would that be? I grew up in Perth, and I was aware of a few drive-thrus operating til the late 90s, and really regret not having visited any of them...
Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/09/06 at 4:40 am

Which Drive-thru would that be? I grew up in Perth, and I was aware of a few drive-thrus operating til the late 90s, and really regret not having visited any of them...

They were Drive-Ins not Drive-thrus - totally different kettle of fish.
Written By: P.E.D. on 08/08/06 at 9:49 am

We went to the drive in frequently as kids. The Neponset in Dorchester, Ma (where I believe I saw Return of the Jedi) and then in the mid 80s the South Shore Plaza drive in. I don't think MA has any open drive ins now, at least in the eastern part of the state. In Ohio I went to the 40 East in Columbus several times before it closed a couple years ago. Columbus still has one open drive-in and a private one owned by a fundamentalist bible-thumping, shaking and quaking church, that usualy shows films about going to hell and feature films about aborted embryos and fetuses. I miss drive ins and despite all the indoor tech with multiplex cinemas, DVD, DVR, cable, Sat TV, and YouTube, I would LOVE to see a drive-in revival for my daughter's generation.
Written By: P.E.D. on 08/08/06 at 9:55 am

I know there are a couple drive ins in Columbus with some remnants still visible (like I said in another thread, I LOVE urban exploration and finding the hints still around of times gone by). The Linden on Westerville Rd. still has the screens and marquee, but I've been afraid to go in because A. it is in a no-so-nice area of Columbus and B. I KNOW the one time I did go in to explore would be the day a police officer who had fight with his wife the night before would show up. I live exactly between 2 former drive in sites just blocks away, but there are no longer visible remnants. One was paved over and has had new buildings on the site since before I moved here and the other I remember seeing the remains, but alas those were torn up to for new development. If anyone else is familiar with Columbus, OH, I found out a year or so ago that there was a 1000-car capacity drive in right by the Airport! Closed in the mid 80s and I know exactly where the site is, but no visible trace remains no matter how hard I've looked. From what I've been told it was not too successful due to excessive mosquitoes and umm..loud jets taking off and landing every few minutes. Who would have thought!?
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/06 at 12:20 pm

I know there are a couple drive ins in Columbus with some remnants still visible (like I said in another thread, I LOVE urban exploration and finding the hints still around of times gone by). The Linden on Westerville Rd. still has the screens and marquee, but I've been afraid to go in because A. it is in a no-so-nice area of Columbus and B. I KNOW the one time I did go in to explore would be the day a police officer who had fight with his wife the night before would show up. I live exactly between 2 former drive in sites just blocks away, but there are no longer visible remnants. One was paved over and has had new buildings on the site since before I moved here and the other I remember seeing the remains, but alas those were torn up to for new development. If anyone else is familiar with Columbus, OH, I found out a year or so ago that there was a 1000-car capacity drive in right by the Airport! Closed in the mid 80s and I know exactly where the site is, but no visible trace remains no matter how hard I've looked. From what I've been told it was not too successful due to excessive mosquitoes and umm..loud jets taking off and landing every few minutes. Who would have thought!?

hey....why don't you become a member...you seem like a very cool person. ;)
Written By: P.E.D. on 08/12/06 at 12:22 am

hey....why don't you become a member...you seem like a very cool person. ;)

TY that is sweet of you to say. I just may go ahead and do that :)
Written By: P.E.D. on 08/14/06 at 9:35 am

I am now officially a member! Thanks, Quirk :)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/14/06 at 10:21 am

I am now officially a member! Thanks, Quirk :)

cool! good to have you aboard! :)
Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/20/06 at 3:41 pm

There used to be a drive-in in Vandergrift, Pennsylvania when I lived there about 4 years ago, but apparently since then, it's closed as well.  :\'(

There are still about 4 drive-ins near where I live now near Dayton, Ohio, but haven't been to any in a couple years, well at least to see movies anyways.  They usually have a flea market on Sunday mornings at at least one drive-in to which I've been but since I cannot handle being out in the sun for too long, we don't usually go.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/23/06 at 8:23 am

There used to be a drive-in in Vandergrift, Pennsylvania when I lived there about 4 years ago, but apparently since then, it's closed as well.  :\'(

There are still about 4 drive-ins near where I live now near Dayton, Ohio, but haven't been to any in a couple years, well at least to see movies anyways.  They usually have a flea market on Sunday mornings at at least one drive-in to which I've been but since I cannot handle being out in the sun for too long, we don't usually go.

I think they actually re-opened that drive-in in Vandergrift!! YAY!!
Subject: In the fields
Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/26/07 at 1:40 am

Living in rural Illinois you'll occasional come across signs of a defunct Drive Inn. It's weird to be driving in the country only to see an old 50's sign in the middle of a cornfied with nothing around it.
Subject: Re: In the fields
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/07 at 10:32 pm

Living in rural Illinois you'll occasional come across signs of a defunct Drive Inn. It's weird to be driving in the country only to see an old 50's sign in the middle of a cornfied with nothing around it.

oohhh...those make the best pictures! ;)