inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Get your kicks on Route 66
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/21/07 at 7:28 pm

I have always been a collector of nostalgic things, and I've always loved hearing about memories from people's pasts.  Do any of you have any great memories of anything regarding Rt. 66 (vacations, memorable roadside attractions, favorite diners, neat hotel/motels, etc) that you would like to share?
Subject: Re: Get your kicks on Route 66
Written By: MLB on 01/21/07 at 7:48 pm

I've said before but I can tell you again.
2 blocks from  my house is a giant orange.  It used to be an orange juice stand and it is on Foothill Blvd, which is the San Bernardino California stretch of Rte 66.  I believe if you got close enough to it it would have a plaque on it announcing the dates it was open or something as a historical landmark (?).      The bus route that goes up and down Foothill from the transit center in Fontana to the mall in Montclair is now the 66.
Across town at the mall in San Bernardino is a small notions shop that is called Route 66; that's all they sell, License plates, old classic model cars, maps, hats, etc.
We also have one of the Teepee motels just outside town too, the outsides are clean and cute looking However, now it's notorious for being a crummy place to stay because of the unsavory characters that hang out on the edge of town. 
Every year there is a city fair in San Bernardino and it is the Route 66 Rendesvous: Car cruise and car show, fair foods with concerts in the square, Stalls and stands playing music and selling all sorts of things, balloons, dogs in neckerchiefs, babies with ice cream, local grocery and newspaper give away small grab bags, and it is a weekend of fun. 
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/21/07 at 7:52 pm

2 blocks from  my house is a giant orange.  It used to be an orange juice stand and it is on Foothill Blvd, which is the San Bernardino California stretch of Rte 66.  I believe if you got close enough to it it would have a plaque on it announcing the dates it was open or something as a historical landmark (?).      The bus route that goes up and down Foothill from the transit center in Fontana to the mall in Montclair is now the 66.
Across town at the mall in San Bernardino is a small notions shop that is called Route 66; that's all they sell, License plates, old classic model cars, maps, hats, etc.
We also have one of the Teepee motels just outside town too, the outsides are clean and cute looking However, now it's notorious for being a crummy place to stay because of the unsavory characters that hang out on the edge of town. 
Every year there is a city fair in San Bernardino and it is the Route 66 Rendesvous: Car cruise and car show, fair foods with concerts in the square, Stalls and stands playing music and selling all sorts of things, balloons, dogs in neckerchiefs, babies with ice cream, local grocery and newspaper give away small grab bags, and it is a weekend of fun. 

wow, that sounds very cool! I love old roadside attractions. I would love to take a roadtrip over a summer and travel out west....and stop by all kinds of neat attractions...that would be a perfect vacation for me!! ;)
Written By: hot_wax on 01/21/07 at 11:53 pm

I have always been a collector of nostalgic things, and I've always loved hearing about memories from people's pasts.  Do any of you have any great memories of anything regarding Rt. 66 (vacations, memorable roadside attractions, favorite diners, neat hotel/motels, etc) that you would like to share?

I was given a coffee mug with the Route 66 road sign on it, but that's nothing to talk about. I don't use it, I keep it with my Beer Steins.

I will add this, I've seen a documentary on the Discovery Channel on Route 66 and I would like very much to drive that highway and stop roadside attractions that they featured, they were cool places to see in person...some day I'll get around to it, God willing.
Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/22/07 at 3:59 am

the Standing on A Corner in Winslow Arizona location is on Route 66  8)

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qj0e7RFPHEBIDujzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12c620njr/EXP=1169542516/**http%3A//azfoo.net/places/az/winslow/pics/03_TheCorner.jpg
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/07 at 1:11 pm

the Standing on A Corner in Winslow Arizona location is on Route 66  8)

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qj0e7RFPHEBIDujzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12c620njr/EXP=1169542516/**http%3A//azfoo.net/places/az/winslow/pics/03_TheCorner.jpg

that's too cool! 8)
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/07 at 1:20 pm

My step-daughter lives just outside of San Bernardino.

Whenever we go out to California we usually take Route 40 which runs parallel to the old Route 66. We get off the highway to eat/stay the night, etc. I got a magnate for my collection that says Route 66, California on it.

Cat
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/07 at 1:23 pm

My step-daughter lives just outside of San Bernardino.

Whenever we go out to California we usually take Route 40 which runs parallel to the old Route 66. We get off the highway to eat/stay the night, etc. I got a magnate for my collection that says Route 66, California on it.

Cat

that's cool, Cat! 8)  I love Route 66 retro memorabilia. My mom and dad bought me this really rad neon light-up clock that looks like an interstate sign, and says Route 66 on it....I can't wait until we paint our kitchen and I can hang it...I will have to take a picture when we do.
Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/22/07 at 3:58 pm

HAHAHA- I drove past that the other day. It also says Bono on it.

I drive Route 66 EVERYDAY to work and back. Its the main street 2 blocks from me. Foothill Blvd is part of Route 66 and almost every city has a Route 66 diner somewhere. ::) 
Written By: KKay on 01/22/07 at 4:18 pm

When I was a kid, we drove to visit my cousins in Iowa and tooka a photo with a giant cow. 

When I was 23, and travelling for work, I got people to take me back there and recreate it.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/22/07 at 4:51 pm

Can anyone out there in the Mid-West tell us guys here on the East Coast where exactly does Route 66 actually begin and where does it exactly end?
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/07 at 5:15 pm

Can anyone out there in the Mid-West tell us guys here on the East Coast where exactly does Route 66 actually begin and where does it exactly end?

It was orginally from Chicago to L.A. The majority of it now lies parallel to Route 40 (as I said in my previous post).

Check it out

http://www.stconnection.com/route_66.htm

Cat
Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/22/07 at 6:28 pm

I actually drive it from Azusa to San Berdo in Cali. Sometimes you have to exit and reconnect via different routes, to get back on it.  ;) But its a nice drive and you get to see some interesting stuff.
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/07 at 6:34 pm

I actually drive it from Azusa to San Berdo in Cali. Sometimes you have to exit and reconnect via different routes, to get back on it.  ;) But its a nice drive and you get to see some interesting stuff.

A lot of towns along the route build it up for tourists. However, in the middle of nowhere-the route no longer exist.

Cat
Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/22/07 at 7:21 pm

A lot of towns along the route build it up for tourists. However, in the middle of nowhere-the route no longer exist.

Cat

I'll have to take some pictures one day and post them here for everyone to see.. Make a day of just me cruising with a A&W or In N Out lunch  ;D
Written By: hot_wax on 01/22/07 at 10:41 pm

It was orginally from Chicago to L.A. The majority of it now lies parallel to Route 40 (as I said in my previous post).

Check it out

http://www.stconnection.com/route_66.htm

Cat

Ok, what I'm asking, is there anyone in this colony from Chicago or LA that knows if there is a "entrance" ramp at the very begining in Chicago with a road sign saying "This is the begining of the famous Route 66"  and the same in LA or a signs at the "exit" ramps saying "you are leaving the famous Route 66"?

I just want to know...thanks
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/07 at 12:13 am

Ok, what I'm asking, is there anyone in this colony from Chicago or LA that knows if there is a "entrance" ramp at the very begining in Chicago with a road sign saying "This is the begining of the famous Route 66"  and the same in LA or a signs at the "exit" ramps saying "you are leaving the famous Route 66"?

If so...that would make for a really cool picture! 8)
Written By: hot_wax on 01/23/07 at 1:02 am

If so...that would make for a really cool picture! 8)

That's what I'm thinking.
Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/23/07 at 1:13 pm

Ok, I'm in Los Angeles. There are some signs that say 'Historical Route 66' if you are traveling it, but there are NO freeway ramps that have signs posted saying this. The reason, some of the roads are closed off and there is no way to connect to them. Foothill Blvd runs through Route 66 and changes at different points. So sometimes it will say Historical Route 66 or just Foothill Blvd. 

I'll do a hunt one of these weekends, and see what I can find for ya.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/23/07 at 5:35 pm

Ok, I'm in Los Angeles. There are some signs that say 'Historical Route 66' if you are traveling it, but there are NO freeway ramps that have signs posted saying this. The reason, some of the roads are closed off and there is no way to connect to them. Foothill Blvd runs through Route 66 and changes at different points. So sometimes it will say Historical Route 66 or just Foothill Blvd. 

I'll do a hunt one of these weekends, and see what I can find for ya.

That's very nice of you Suicidal Blonde. It would be really cool to take a picture of the most very end of Route 66 and share it with us guy's who might never get a chanch to drive it right to it's end or starting point as you see it. Thanks!
Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/23/07 at 9:46 pm

When I was still driving (before I transferred over to the docks), we used to go down I-40 to San Bernandino, and sometimes on the way there (or back) we used to stop at this old cafe in Needles, California called the "Wagon Wheel," I'll bet it was at least 50 years old and was a holdover from the Route 66 days. It was pretty cool.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/07 at 10:27 pm

I think this is the reason that I love the movie, "Cars" so much.....because of the nostalgic feel of the town along Rt. 66....I just love that! ;)
Written By: Doc Brown on 01/25/07 at 11:52 am

Amazon.com: Cars (Widescreen Edition): DVD
Cars DVD – Cars the Movie: Official Disney Website
I don't know if these links will work, but if you check the sites, there's probably plenty of information. Heck, almost the entire movie is set on The Mother Road! And if you haven't seen it, kick back & enjoy!

Your Pal,
Doc(but not Hudson)

8)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/25/07 at 12:00 pm

[url=http://Cars DVD
Written By: karen on 01/25/07 at 12:18 pm

yes....GREAT movie! ;)

So I'm told.  James had the DVD for Christmas and we watched it on Christmas Day.  Unfortunately I slept through a lot of it
Written By: RTynanDDS on 01/25/07 at 1:19 pm

There's a sign at the corner of Jackson and Michigan Ave. here in Chicago that says, "Historic Route 66. END." And then there's another sign a block away on Adams that says "Historic Route 66. BEGIN." They're one way streets, of course.

Side note: I grew up just off Route 66 in Missouri, and when I was a kid, I remember friends going out and "collecting" the old shield-shaped Route 66 signs before they were replaced with I-44 signs. Not coincidentally, these were the same friends who hoarded a garage-full of old Coke when new Coke came out.
Written By: hot_wax on 01/25/07 at 9:11 pm

There's a sign at the corner of Jackson and Michigan Ave. here in Chicago that says, "Historic Route 66. END." And then there's another sign a block away on Adams that says "Historic Route 66. BEGIN." They're one way streets, of course.

Side note: I grew up just off Route 66 in Missouri, and when I was a kid, I remember friends going out and "collecting" the old shield-shaped Route 66 signs before they were replaced with I-44 signs. Not coincidentally, these were the same friends who hoarded a garage-full of old Coke when new Coke came out.

Is there anyway to that you can take take pictures of those two signs and show them here? or e-mail me them?
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/07 at 12:10 pm

Is there anyway to that you can take take pictures of those two signs and show them here? or e-mail me them?

I did a google image search and saw one. Check it out.

Cat
Written By: hot_wax on 01/26/07 at 4:38 pm

Cat

Thanks Cat, I should have thought of that. If not, I was going Chicago this Spring and I'll find them at Jackson, Michigan and Adams Streets. I'm obessed! now to get those to pictures thanks to RTynanDDS. Thanks again.
Written By: hot_wax on 01/26/07 at 6:51 pm

Cat

2d reply Cat. I did go to Google as you mentioned and found a link that showed a small map of the Jackson, Michigan and Adams Streets where the entrance and exits are in Chicago today, and a little history on how they got there. Originally Route 66 started at Lakeshore Dr., but in 1933 they needed more land for Chicago Worlds Fair at Lakeshore Dr.. and the land where the highway sat on was needed as part of the expansion, so they split Rt. 66 and moved the very start of the highway entrance, and exit, to where they are today at those mentioned streets.

There's a lot in information, I'll now check if those signs where photographed, if not, plan B is still a go! Thanks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/07 at 7:12 pm

2d reply Cat. I did go to Google as you mentioned and found a link that showed a small map of the Jackson, Michigan and Adams Strees where the entrance and exits are in Chicago today, and a little history on how they got there. Originally Route 66 started at Lakeside Ave, but in 1933 they needed land for Chicago Worlds Fair at Lakeside Ave. and had to move the entrance and exit of the highway to it present areas...no pictures.

There's a lot in information, I'll now check if those signs where photographed, if not, plan B is still a go! Thanks.

No prob. Glad to help. Gotta love Google.

Cat
Written By: Doc Brown on 01/27/07 at 5:48 pm

yes....GREAT movie! ;)

I checked it on imdb.com and found out that if not for the 1960's TV show,CARS  would've been released under its working title,ROUTE 66 ! That certainly would have been cool. Pixar makes awesome films but usually they don't have very creative titles, the only exceptions being "Finding Nemo"(2003) and "Ratatouille"(due this summer). Any more intriguing info?

Your Pal,
Doc (but still not Hudson)

8)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/27/07 at 7:41 pm

I checked it on imdb.com and found out that if not for the 1960's TV show, CARS would've been released under its working title, ROUTE 66 ! That certainly would have been cool. Pixar makes awesome films but usually they don't have very creative titles, the only exceptions being "Finding Nemo"(2003) and "Ratatouille"(due this summer). Any more intriguing info?

Your Pal,
Doc (but still not Hudson)

8)

yes, I would have loved for it to be called that! ;)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/27/07 at 7:42 pm

So....all of you "Route 66" aficionados.....wouldn't it be cool to take a month or two in the summer and get an RV, and travel the whole road...exploring neat roadside attractions? That has always been my dream to be able to do that....take pictures of my findings along the way....that to me...would be a PERFECT vacation!!
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/07 at 3:20 pm

So....all of you "Route 66" aficionados.....wouldn't it be cool to take a month or two in the summer and get an RV, and travel the whole road...exploring neat roadside attractions? That has always been my dream to be able to do that....take pictures of my findings along the way....that to me...would be a PERFECT vacation!!

Except for the Panhandle of Texas where there is miles and miles and miles of absolutely NOTHING!!!!

Cat
Written By: hot_wax on 01/28/07 at 9:39 pm

Except for the Panhandle of Texas where there is miles and miles and miles of absolutely NOTHING!!!!

Cat

Maybe that's a good thing for any entrepreneur's reading this post and create tourist attractions along that way...maybe a  Armadillo petting zoos, or "The Texas Panhandle Flea Market" the pan handler's dream! or a string of Stucky's in a wild west motif. There's a lot of room for possibilities to make that stretch of Rt. 66 a pleasurable drive...maybe?
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/07 at 9:41 pm

Maybe that's a good thing for any entrepreneur's reading this post and create tourist attractions along that way...maybe a  Armadillo petting zoos, or "The Texas Panhandle Flea Market" the pan handler's dream! or a string of Stucky's in a wild west motif. There's a lot of room for possibilities to make that stretch of Rt. 66 a pleasurable drive...maybe?

wow...sounds like a nifty thing to me! It it was there...I would definitely check it out! ;)
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/07 at 1:09 pm

I don't know if Stucky's is still in business. Our last trip across country, we only saw old, boarded up ones. If someone were to do that, all the workers would probably have to drive miles and miles and miles just to get to work. From Amarillo to Tucumcari, NM there is not much there-you are lucky if you see a tree. Oh, there is the Cadillac Ranch but that is closer to Amarillo.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:6uak4b4k7SweDM:http://www.national66.org/photos/046CadillacRanch.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:QaZUWNdmP9r-QM:http://www.info66.de/Home/Route66-Photo_Gallarie/Texas/Route66-Texas-Cadillac_Ranch2/Cadillac_Ranch2100.jpg

Cat
Written By: Doc Brown on 01/29/07 at 4:47 pm

Oh, there is the Cadillac Ranch but that is closer to Amarillo.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:6uak4b4k7SweDM:http://www.national66.org/photos/046CadillacRanch.jpg

Hey Quirk, do you or anyone else who saw CARS  find that this picture reminds you of somewhere?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 5:46 pm

Hey Quirk, do you or anyone else who saw CARS  find that this picture reminds you of somewhere?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

yes, it definitely does! :)
Written By: hot_wax on 01/29/07 at 6:46 pm

I don't know if Stucky's is still in business. Our last trip across country, we only saw old, boarded up ones. If someone were to do that, all the workers would probably have to drive miles and miles and miles just to get to work. From Amarillo to Tucumcari, NM there is not much there-you are lucky if you see a tree. Oh, there is the Cadillac Ranch but that is closer to Amarillo.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:QaZUWNdmP9r-QM:http://www.info66.de/Home/Route66-Photo_Gallarie/Texas/Route66-Texas-Cadillac_Ranch2/Cadillac_Ranch2100.jpg

Cat

There's still Stuckey's around and in Texas too, but a guess not in the part of the state. Although I do like that Cadillac Ranch, that's worth a trip right there!

Cat you got me thinking, or dreaming...When I was a little kid I always thought the Cowboy and Indian movies where real at the time and all the stories where the men wearing the black hats were the bad guys who highjacked stagecoaches and stole cattle and tied up girls on railroad tracks for their deeds to their ranches, and good guys in wore the white hats where the heros who always kicked the bad guys asses all the time.

To me Texas was the wild wild west and all that cowboy stuff only happened in Texas, and I wanted to live that life of a cowboy and re-live those movies...Now, wouldn't it be cool to have a theme park re-creating the old wild west in live action? I mean like drive on Rt. 66 to a created wild west theme park like Disney World as the starting point in the panhandle, but it doesn't stop there, now you take an acted out stage coach ride for about 50 miles with it being held-up by masked bandits and raided by Indians, and then maybe the next 50 miles of cattle driving with cattle rustlers and an overnight campout and then maybe another 50 miles on horse back Pony Express style and at the end of the show another 50 miles on an old fashion rail road pulled by an old steam engine getting raided by more masked bandits, then we have to rescuing maidens tied to the railroad tracks and Indian Teepee camps dotting the landscape, but the train also has your car on it from the starting point and at the end of the ride you get back into your car and drive the rest of the way to California in your 10 gallon white hats...sounds cool huh?

Any investors out there?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 6:48 pm

There's still Stuckey's around and in Texas too, but a guess not in the part of the state. Although I do like that Cadillac Ranch, that's worth a trip right there!

Cat you got me thinking, or dreaming...When I was a little kid I always thought the Cowboy and Indian movies where real at the time and all the stories where the men wearing the black hats were the bad guys who highjacked stagecoaches and stole cattle and tied up girls on railroad tracks for their deeds to their ranches, and good guys in wore the white hats where the heros who always kicked the bad guys asses all the time.

To me Texas was the wild wild west and all that cowboy stuff only happened in Texas, and I wanted to live that life of a cowboy and re-live those movies...Now, wouldn't it be cool to have a theme park re-creating the old wild west in live action? I mean like drive on Rt. 66 to a created wild west theme park like Disney World as the starting point in the panhandle, but it doesn't stop there, now you take an acted out stage coach ride for about 50 miles with it being held-up by masked bandits and raided by Indians, and then maybe the next 50 miles of cattle driving with cattle rustlers and an overnight campout and then maybe another 50 miles on horse back Pony Express style and at the end of the show another 50 miles on an old fashion rail road pulled by an old steam engine getting raided by more masked bandits, then we have to rescuing maidens tied to the railroad tracks and Indian Teepee camps dotting the landscape, but the train also has your car on it from the starting point and at the end of the ride you get back into your car and drive the rest of the way to California in your 10 gallon white hats...sounds cool huh?

Any investors out there?

wow...totally neato!
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/07 at 3:32 pm

Any investors out there?

That sounds....um....interesting. 50 miles in a stage coach sounds...um...uncomfortable to me. I know there are wild west theme parks out there somewhere.

Cat
Written By: hot_wax on 01/30/07 at 4:29 pm

That sounds....um....interesting. 50 miles in a stage coach sounds...um...uncomfortable to me. I know there are wild west theme parks out there somewhere.

Cat

In time, you'll see, when the oceans swell over the coast lines and the panhandle will be choice beachfront property you'll see more and more Rt. 66 attractions and boardwalk resorts along it's coast line...maybe in our life time too the way global warming is taking it's toll.
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/07 at 5:04 pm

In time, you'll see, when the oceans swell over the coast lines and the panhandle will be choice beachfront property you'll see more and more Rt. 66 attractions and boardwalk resorts along it's coast line...maybe in our life time too the way global warming is taking it's toll.

You could be right. Now would be the time to invest in the some real estate there. I'm sure you could get it REAL CHEAP because right now NO ONE wants to live there.

Cat
Written By: hot_wax on 01/30/07 at 6:59 pm

You could be right. Now would be the time to invest in the some real estate there. I'm sure you could get it REAL CHEAP because right now NO ONE wants to live there.

Cat

Seeee? there's a method to my madness.
Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/07 at 7:17 pm

Seeee? there's a method to my madness.

Or a madness to your method?  ;)

Cat
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/06/07 at 11:19 pm

Have you guys ever seen this neato attraction? I just stumbled upon a postcard of it on Ebay.  It's a blue whale in Catoosa, Oklahoma.  

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66Oklahoma/images/OKCatoosaBlueWhale.jpg

Hugh Davis built it in the early 1970s as an anniversary gift to his wife Zelta. The Blue Whale and its pond became a favorite stop and swimming hole for both locals and travelers alike.

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66Oklahoma/catoosa.htm
Written By: hot_wax on 02/07/07 at 3:05 am

[url=http://Cars DVD
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/07/07 at 9:27 am

My question is...is driving the full lenght of RT 66 worth the trip or should I do just the South West run to California or what do you suggest?

I know I would love to do the whole thing someday. There are so many neat kitschy things along the way in so many different towns....too good to pass up. ;)
Written By: hot_wax on 02/07/07 at 2:35 pm

I know I would love to do the whole thing someday. There are so many neat kitschy things along the way in so many different towns....too good to pass up. ;)

Yeah, what the heck, I'll fly to Chicago, rent a RV and do the whole shabang take all those pictures I was asking for and fly home from California, why not you only live once.

Thanks for that pinch in the butt!
Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/07 at 2:45 pm

Yeah, what the heck, I'll fly to Chicago, rent a RV and do the whole shabang take all those pictures I was asking for and fly home from California, why not you only live once.

Thanks for that pinch in the butt!

Mind if I ask where you live? I know you told me once but I can't remember (must be old age setting in  ;) ) I want to say NJ.

Cat
Written By: hot_wax on 02/07/07 at 7:33 pm

Mind if I ask where you live? I know you told me once but I can't remember (must be old age setting in  ;) ) I want to say NJ.

Cat

"A Jersey Boy"...Union, New Jersey...west of Elizabeth and Newark, 10 miles from NYC.

Are you going to ask me why I want to drive RT 66 living over here?
Written By: Dominic L. on 02/07/07 at 8:55 pm

For example... I'm in California! :P
Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/07 at 3:32 pm

"A Jersey Boy"...Union, New Jersey...west of Elizabeth and Newark, 10 miles from NYC.

Are you going to ask me why I want to drive RT 66 living over here?

No. I can understand why someone would want to drive it.

BTW, I don't know if I told you this but Carlos is from "Joisey"-Dover which is close to Patterson.

Cat
Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/07 at 9:50 pm

No. I can understand why someone would want to drive it.

BTW, I don't know if I told you this but Carlos is from "Joisey"-Dover which is close to Patterson.

Cat

Because it's there...?

I know Dover well, nice town, I think off RT 46.
Written By: Southern Image on 02/23/07 at 8:18 pm

Ok. I took some pictures of my drive on Route 66. I promise to get better places and more of them.
Written By: Southern Image on 02/23/07 at 8:19 pm

More Route 66 Train tracks, and the famous foothills
Written By: Southern Image on 02/23/07 at 8:20 pm

Horse on the trail, Street sign and a Veggie stand
Written By: Southern Image on 02/23/07 at 8:21 pm

I took all these while driving by myself.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/23/07 at 8:24 pm

great pictures, Mia! Thanks for sharing them! :)
Written By: hot_wax on 02/23/07 at 10:15 pm

Thanks so much for the terrific pictures Southern Image, where were you when you took them? the mountain back ground in that one photo is beautiful.
Written By: Southern Image on 02/23/07 at 10:26 pm

Thanks so much for the terrific pictures Southern Image, where were you when you took them? the mountain back ground in that one photo is beautiful.

Those were from Upland to Glendora, CA, The foothills run all along Route 66. The Horses were in San Dimas. The street signs were in Glendora.  I will be taking more when I can. I just need a passenger with me to help  :D
Written By: hot_wax on 02/24/07 at 5:19 pm

Those were from Upland to Glendora, CA, The foothills run all along Route 66. The Horses were in San Dimas. The street signs were in Glendora.  I will be taking more when I can. I just need a passenger with me to help  :D

Do your best, everyone enjoys them, but don't get into any accidents while taking pictures, pull over and stop to take a few. I like your off beat subjects you captured the real things on the highway.

I read this morning that the Movie "Little Miss Sunshine" used RT. 66 in many of the highway scenes but people who know the route between Albuquerque NM and Redondo CA knew that their drive time and road signs were not in it's correct geographic order. They were on Rt. 66 Rt 40 then on Rt 10 then on Rt 17 and RT 10 again and the shortest route would have been to stay on Rt 40 all the way through but it was the out of sequence showing of road signs that people who knew made them laugh and ridicule the maker of the film for their bloppers being it was the main focus of the movie their quickness to get to CA to enter a beauty contest competition.

I tried to watch that movie but couldn't finish it, didn't go for the plot, now I go and watch it again just to look for those bloppers.

Take more pictures on the way home, but be careful. Thank you from all of us who live on the east coast.