inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Welcome To Places That Are Going, Going, Gone....
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/07 at 12:54 pm

Just wanted to give a welcome to the newly named board, "Places That Are Going, Going, Gone...". I moved a bunch of topics that were originally in the haunted board, over to here (the ones dealing with things such as roadside attractions, urban exploration, defunct places, wayside features, etc).  Feel free to start new topics or add on to the already existing ones. :)

Subject: Re: Welcome To Places That Are Going, Going, Gone....
Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/07 at 11:26 am

Just wanted to give a welcome to the newly named board, "Places That Are Going, Going, Gone...". I moved a bunch of topics that were originally in the haunted board, over to here (the ones dealing with things such as roadside attractions, urban exploration, defunct places, wayside features, etc).  Feel free to start new topics or add on to the already existing ones. :)

It's a good idea, I like it a lot. Maybe you can refine the topics to even further but keep it in the same board for an easier access...is it possible to sub-divide within the same board so the posts stay hot topics without getting thined-out or lost to spin-off boards? Group them by subjects within the main board.

There are subjects that were posted 2 years ago that I would like to discuss now but hesitate to thinking it's "old hat" and people won't respond thinking we've "been there, done that" what's new?. But if they all were harbored together into their related subjects, old and new posts can feed on each other easier and all can stay current.

I like your what doing, but it seems to me it will thin out the herd and some will get lost in the suffle. Keep the family together. 

Written By: spaceace on 02/08/07 at 12:20 pm

Really small privately owned book stores.  Can't find too many of them any more because of Boarders and Barnes and Noble.  Not to mention the net. :P
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/08/07 at 12:46 pm

It's a good idea, I like it a lot. Maybe you can refine the topics to even further but keep it in the same board for an easier access...is it possible to sub-divide within the same board so the posts stay hot topics without getting thined-out or lost to spin-off boards? Group them by subjects within the main board.

There are subjects that were posted 2 years ago that I would like to discuss now but hesitate to thinking it's "old hat" and people won't respond thinking we've "been there, done that" what's new?. But if they all were harbored together into their related subjects, old and new posts can feed on each other easier and all can stay current.

I like your what doing, but it seems to me it will thin out the herd and some will get lost in the suffle. Keep the family together.   

thanks for the suggestions...I will definitely work on that very soon! :)
Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/07 at 9:41 pm

Really small privately owned book stores.  Can't find too many of them any more because of Boarders and Barnes and Noble.  Not to mention the net. :P

Funny you should bring subject up because I couldn't do it, Why? because my oldest son Joe has owned and operated a small in town book and video store for almost 12 years now. After college he really didn't want to pursue in a career in Communication because he got greater satisfaction in the Arts and building a business is a form of Art.

Joe faces far more obstacles to stay in business everyday than the big guys do, and the biggest is losing customers to those big guys. But he knows he has something that they don't have and it's the most important asset a small owner needs to compete in a market of conglomerates it's the "personal touch". He lives by the basic rules in business, "personal touch and customer satisfaction". He has a customer base that grows every year by word of mouth alone because he creates a friendly warm atmosphere to everyone who comes through his door, the stuff that the big stores don't give but people still want and he gives it lovingly and everyone knows Joe.

The publication industry recogonizes Joe's business reputation in operating a small town book store and backs him in by encouraging authors to include Joe's store, "Here's the Story...", on their book signing tours. He's had many book signings over the years most are up-and coming authors, but did have big personalities like ex-Mayor for New York City, Ed Koch for book signing of his "Betrayal of New York" and most resent, the former Governor of New Jersey James E. McGreevy who was Oprah and all over the news promoting his book "The Confession". After the Governor was informed of Joe's business venture requested that to do a signing at Joe's store "Here's the Story..." it was his second stop on his National book signing tour, and later in a letter to Joe by him, he said that enjoyed his store the most because of that hometown atmosphere he created with the hundreds that showed up to meet him and to signed their books. Joe invited our Mayor and other town officials to the signing, newspapers reporters and even Channel 7 EyeWitness News from NY interviewed Joe on his small town book store surviving amongest the big guys and praised him for his success, it aired on the 5:00 PM news cast that evening. It was great for him and the his small town merchant neighbors got a shot in the arm with the publicity he brought to the town. He was and still is a small town hero in this town like you read about. He has aspirations to expand but only in a township environment.

So I have first hand knowledge with your posting and I can tell you it isn't easy but has very gratifying perks if you do what's necessary to get the jobs done by yourself, and most of all if you treat your customers like gold, they will return and with a friend.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 12:29 pm

Well, I merged a bunch of topics, and weeded through some that were old and had no/or little replies. I think it looks a lot better now.
Written By: nally on 02/15/07 at 2:24 pm

Well, I merged a bunch of topics, and weeded through some that were old and had no/or little replies. I think it looks a lot better now.

Great job at cleaning things up, Erin. O0 I used to visit this section under its old name; now I think people will find it a lot more user friendly.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 2:35 pm

Great job at cleaning things up, Erin. O0 I used to visit this section under its old name; now I think people will find it a lot more user friendly.

thanks Jeff! :)  I am hoping that it draws more attention now than before! ;)
Written By: hot_wax on 02/15/07 at 3:17 pm

Goog job! it looks great and inviting, we can burn alot of hours in this site alone.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 3:18 pm

Goog job! it looks great and inviting, we can burn alot of hours in this site alone.

thank you very much! I really hope that this section continues to spark interests in many individuals! :)
Written By: hot_wax on 02/15/07 at 4:04 pm

thank you very much! I really hope that this section continues to spark interests in many individuals! :)

I was thinking, theres so much to offer in old and new sites is there a way to put a flashing pop box in one site splashing a reminder or an invitation for them to go another site to navigate? Bring someone new to the table, I used called it "fishing your pond" 
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 4:05 pm

I was thinking, theres so much to offer in old and new sites is there a way to put a flashing pop box in one site splashing a reminder or an invitation for them to go another site to navigate? Bring someone new to the table, I used called it "fishing your pond" 

hmm...there might be. You would probably have to ask Chucky though...I am not that up on fancy functions like that! ;D