inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Der Kommissar
Written By: whistledog on 01/09/07 at 2:41 am

Der Kommissar is a partial rap song about drug consumption.  Sung in German language, it was written by and first became an International hit for Falco in 1982.  That same year, he wrote an english translation, and gave it to the British group After the Fire (ATF), who took it into the US Top 5 in 1983 (it debuted in the Billboard Chart on February 22, 1983 and peaked on April 30, 1983)

Der Kommissar by Falco
US -- | UK ?? | CAN #11

Der Kommissar by After the Fire
US #5 | UK #47 | CAN #12

Some Interesting Trivia about this song is that in Canada, both versions ran simultaneously in the Top 50 chart, and peaked on the exact same date.  Falco's original was a late release here, and entered the chart two weeks after the ATF cover version.  Here's the Canadian chart run for Der Kommissar ...

November 27, 1982
After the Fire

December 4, 1982
After the Fire

December 11, 1982
After the Fire
Falco

December 18, 1982
After the Fire
Falco

December 25, 1982
After the Fire
Falco

January 15, 1983
After the Fire
Falco

January 22, 1983
After the Fire
Falco

January 29, 1983
After the Fire
Falco

February 5, 1983
After the Fire
Falco

February 12, 1983
After the Fire
Falco

February 19, 1983
After the Fire
Falco

February 26, 1983
After the Fire
Falco

March 5, 1983
After the Fire

March 12, 1983
After the Fire
Subject: Re: Der Kommissar
Written By: Paul on 01/09/07 at 7:54 am

I remember ATF's version was played to death on European radio stations (and I guess Falco's was), therefore I presume both would have been major hits on the continent...

Falco's original did gain a British release, but didn't trouble the charts...
Written By: whistledog on 01/09/07 at 1:38 pm

I remember ATF's version was played to death on European radio stations (and I guess Falco's was), therefore I presume both would have been major hits on the continent...

Falco's original did gain a British release, but didn't trouble the charts...

It's a shame Falco never took it into the UK chart.  I would have thought it was a minor hit at least  :\'(
Written By: Paul on 01/09/07 at 3:48 pm

It's a shame Falco never took it into the UK chart.  I would have thought it was a minor hit at least  :\'(

What probably didn't help him was the fact that we normally insisted the song was converted into English to obtain radio play...

Still, it didn't do him much harm with 'Rock Me Amadeus' a few years later...
Written By: FaultyDog on 01/09/07 at 5:15 pm

I can tell you that the Falco version was a #18 hit in Dutch Top 40, whereas the ATF version did absolutely zilch. In fact, ATF has never had a song in Top 40 or bubbling under section.

btw: is this the same ATF as in Who's Gonna Love You (When You're Old And Fat And Ugly)?  ???
Written By: whistledog on 01/09/07 at 5:33 pm

btw: is this the same ATF as in Who's Gonna Love You (When You're Old And Fat And Ugly)?  ???

That was them yes :)
Written By: FaultyDog on 01/09/07 at 6:06 pm

That was them yes :)

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. I still have a cassette that was played a lot in a YfC joint I frequented in the 1980s. I think it holds the complete "80-F" album, along with tracks by other artists (Bob Dylan, Andy Pratt, Cliff Richard, U2).
Written By: Apricot on 01/09/07 at 9:02 pm

Whoa, this was a Falco song originally? Wouldn't have guessed.
Written By: Dominic L. on 01/09/07 at 9:44 pm

Whoa, this was a Falco song originally? Wouldn't have guessed.

Neither would've I.
Written By: nally on 01/10/07 at 3:48 pm

I first heard ATF's version before I ever heard Falco's. They're both great.
Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/07 at 10:21 am

Falco's version sounds very cold and lo-fi...could have been made in someone's bedroom. ATF's is very stereotypically 80s, with the reverb vocal and synth flourishes.
Written By: KKay on 01/11/07 at 10:55 am

I only know the Falco version. I didn't know there were two. ???
Written By: nally on 01/17/07 at 4:10 pm

I only know the Falco version. I didn't know there were two. ???

I'm a bit surprised you didn't know
Written By: Apricot on 01/17/07 at 8:49 pm

I checked out the Falco version.. like it a lot more.
Written By: DJ Midas on 01/30/07 at 8:56 pm

Falco's version sounds very cold and lo-fi...could have been made in someone's bedroom. ATF's is very stereotypically 80s, with the reverb vocal and synth flourishes.

*snort*  You should see the video.  I think he made it at that store at the mall. :D

I like ATF's version better.
Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/13/07 at 5:53 am

I always loved ATF's version. I still listen to it sometimes. One of my favorite 80's 1 hit wonders.
Written By: KittyBass on 05/13/07 at 7:39 am

*snort*  You should see the video.  I think he made it at that store at the mall. :D

I like ATF's version better.

I haven't seen the video for years but I remember it as clear as day. Total laugh material. I love the song and I like Falco's the best. I bought a remix CD of that song that was released after he died and it was always in my car's CD player. It's amazing what you can buy for $5 on ebay!
Written By: nally on 05/14/07 at 12:57 pm

I still like 'em both. They're both fun to listen to IMO. :)