inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: The Official Sampled Songs Thread - Your All Time Favourites?
Written By: whistledog on 03/23/07 at 12:24 am

Just like Cover Songs, there are also sampled songs, as in a song that uses a portion of a song from the past.  Have you got any favourites?  This is the thread to tell us your favourites :)
Subject: Re: The Official Sampled Songs Thread - Your All Time Favourites?
Written By: whistledog on 03/23/07 at 12:54 am

There are many that I like, but so little space to list them all, so for now, here is a brief list (in no particular order) ...

1990s

♫ I'm Alive - Stretch 'N Vern
(Boogie Wonderland - EWF with The Emotions)

♫ If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better - Tamperer featuring Maya
(Material Girl - Madonna)

♫ Into Space - Plaything
(Spacer - Sheila and B. Devotion)

♫ Good Vibrations - Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
(Love Sensation - Loleatta Holloway)

♫ If Everybody Looked the Same - Groove Armada
(We Are Neighbours - The Chi-Lites)

♫ Red Alert - Basement Jaxx
(Far Beyond - Locksmith)

2000s

♫ Love on My Mind - Freemasons featuring Amanda Wilson
(This Time Baby - Jackie Moore)

♫ A Walk in the Park - Conways featuring Nick Straker Band
(A Walk in the Park - Nick Straker Band)

♫ Think About the Way - Frisco vs. Ice MC
(Think About the Way - Ice MC)

♫ Out of Touch - Uniting Nations
(Out of Touch - Hall and Oates)

♫ Fire - Ferry Corsten featuring Simon LeBon
(Serious - Duran Duran)

♫ Where's Your Head At - Basement Jaxx
(This Wreckage - Gary Numan)

♫ My Feeling - Junior Jack
(Saturday Love - Cherrelle with Alexander O'Neal)

♫ Starry Eyed Surprise - Paul Oakenfold featuring Shifty
(Everybody's Talkin' - Nilsson)

♫ Make Luv - Room 5 featuring Oliver Cheatham
(Get Down Saturday Night - Oliver Cheatham)

♫ Shine - Lovefreekz
(Shine A Little Love - ELO)

♫ Another Chance - Roger Sanchez
(I Won't Hold You Back - Toto)

♫ Freak Like Me - Sugababes
(Are Friends Electric? - Tubeway Army)

♫ Fading Like A Flower - Dancing DJs vs. Roxette
(Fading Like A Flower - Roxette)

♫ Physical - Alacazar
(I've Been Thinking About You - Londonbeat)

♫ What A Feeling - Hughes Corporation
(Flashdance ... What A Feeling! - Irene Cara)

♫ Call on Me - Eric Prydz
(Valerie - Steve Winwood)

♫ Stupidisco - Junior Jack
(Dare Me - Pointer Sisters)

♫ Falling Stars - Sunset Strippers
(Waiting For A Star to Fall - Boy Meets Girl)

♫ Do it 2 Nite - Rockefeller
(Take Your Time - S.O.S. Band)

♫ Love Sensation 2006 - Eddie Thoenick and Kurd Maverick
(Love Sensation - Loleatta Holloway)

♫ Pump Up the Jam 2005 - D.O.N.S. featuring Technotronic
(Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic)

♫ Crying at the Discotheque - Alcazar
(Spacer - Sheila and B. Devotion)

♫ Thunder in My Heart Again - Meck featuring Leo Sayer
(Thunder in My Heart - Leo Sayer)
Written By: Henk on 03/23/07 at 1:01 am

Let's not forget the 1980s.... ::)

Kon Kan - I Beg Your Pardon
(Rose Garden - Lynn Anderson)
Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/23/07 at 1:09 am

I'll throw in basically everything released by Armand Van Helden
Written By: whistledog on 03/23/07 at 1:22 am

Dang, I totally forgot about that one  :-[

and on the Subject of Kon Kan, also "Puss 'N Boots - These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" which sampled the latter fron Nancy Sinatra

btw, I accidentally edited your post.  Being a moderator, I see options for modifying messages, and the link is right next to 'Reply with Quote', so I always accidentally click the wrong one :( lol
Written By: whistledog on 03/23/07 at 1:22 am

I'll throw in basically everything released by Armand Van Helden

A good choice.  He's got lots of good stuff :)
Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 11:38 am

Just like Cover Songs, there are also sampled songs, as in a song that uses a portion of a song from the past.  Have you got any favourites?  This is the thread to tell us your favourites :)

Will Smith's "Men In Black" is "Forget Me Nots" (just lost artist name) & "Summertime" (his line "and this is the Fresh Prince's new definition of summer madness is-in my opinion-his way of letting us know he took it from "Summer Madness" by Kool & the Gang)

I'll get back to you when I remember who Warren G and Nate Dogg's "Regulate" was sampled from.  It is hard for me to think of songs and artists when I have music playing.
Written By: whistledog on 03/23/07 at 11:56 am

Will Smith's "Men In Black" is "Forget Me Nots" (just lost artist name) & "Summertime" (his line "and this is the Fresh Prince's new definition of summer madness is-in my opinion-his way of letting us know he took it from "Summer Madness" by Kool & the Gang)

I'll get back to you when I remember who Warren G and Nate Dogg's "Regulate" was sampled from.  It is hard for me to think of songs and artists when I have music playing.

Forget Me Nots was Patrice Rushen :)
Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 1:35 pm

Forget Me Nots was Patrice Rushen :)

Thank you, whistle....I can always count on you, can't I?  :)
Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 3:11 pm

Not necessarily a favorite, but I noticed that Salt N Pepa's "Let's Talk about Sex" sounds like they took a piece of the Staple Singers' "I'll Take You There"
Written By: Brian06 on 03/24/07 at 12:07 am

SOS - Rihanna

(Tainted Love - Soft Cell)
Written By: nally on 03/24/07 at 12:10 am

SOS - Rihanna

(Tainted Love - Soft Cell)

Ditto. O0
Written By: tv on 03/24/07 at 12:12 am

I dig how PM Dawn sampled Spandau Ballet's 1983 hit "True" for their own hit called "Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" which was a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 for PM Dawn in late 1991 I think. I dig how MC Hammer sampled Prince's hit "When Doves Cry" for his own hit called "Pray" sort of.
Written By: nally on 03/24/07 at 12:20 am

I dig how PM Dawn sampled Spandau Ballet's 1983 hit "True" for their own hit called "Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" which was a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 for PM Dawn in late 1991 I think.

Yes, it was. That was a pretty good record.

I dig how MC Hammer sampled Prince's hit "When Doves Cry" for his own hit called "Pray" sort of.

I have never heard that song, but we all know about his sampling of Rick James's "Superfreak" for "U Can't Touch This." Oddly enough, I never even knew about Rick James or his music until about 1994 or so. So when I heard that song coming on the radio one time in '94, I thought it was M C Hammer. But then when I heard something different, I was a little confused...so I later looked it up and found the info. :)
Written By: tv on 03/24/07 at 12:37 am

Yes, it was. That was a pretty good record.

I have never heard that song, but we all know about his sampling of Rick James's "Superfreak" for "U Can't Touch This." Oddly enough, I never even knew about Rick James or his music until about 1994 or so. So when I heard that song coming on the radio one time in '94, I thought it was M C Hammer. But then when I heard something different, I was a little confused...so I later looked it up and found the info. :)
Funny, because even my Mom thought when she first heard "Superfreak" one of the guys on TV a month or two back said its Rick James and my Mom like its MC(Hammer.) Yeah I remember back in 1992 hearing "Superfreak" and i'm like thats MC Hammer's song but I didn't know about Rick James's music back then either.
Written By: tv on 03/24/07 at 12:42 am

Hey how about Luniz's sampling Club Noveau's "Why You Treat So Bad" for their own record called "I Got 5 On it" which was a hit for Luniz in 1995.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/27/07 at 9:56 pm

Now I remember why I started thinking Will Smith was the King of Sample...not only b/c of the above, but he also took the music from Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" and made "Wild, Wild West" out of it.
Written By: Midas on 03/27/07 at 10:57 pm

That would be "I Keep Forgettin'" by Michael McDonald. :)

Barry Harris of Kon Kan sampled "I Beg Your Pardon" in "Beg For It" :D

Some of my faves:

"Da Hype" - Junior Jack feat. Robert Smith (samples "I'm So Hot For You" by Bobby "O")

"Make Your Move" - Dave Armstrong (samples "Dare Me" by Pointer Sisters)

"U Got 2 Know" - Cappella (samples "You Used To Hold Me" by Ralphi Rosario feat. Xavier Gold)

"Totally Hooked" - Peter Presta feat. Bonze (samples "More Than A Feeling" by Boston)

"Hippychick" - Soho (samples "How Soon Is Now?" by The Smiths)

"Firestarter" - Prodigy (samples "Close (To The Edit)" by The Art Of Noise)

"Just The Way You Are" - Milky (samples "The Streets Of Your Town" by Go-Betweens)

"Nightmare" - Kid Unknown (samples "Colors" by Ice-T)

"Planet E" - KC Flightt (samples "Once In A Lifetime" by Talking Heads)
Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 10:01 pm

Now I remember why I started thinking Will Smith was the King of Sample...not only b/c of the above, but he also took the music from Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" and made "Wild, Wild West" out of it.

He also sampled Sister Sledge's "He's The Greatest Dancer" for his early 1998 hit "Gettin' Jiggy With It". :D
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 10:09 pm

He also sampled Sister Sledge's "He's The Greatest Dancer" for his early 1998 hit "Gettin' Jiggy With It". :D

Why does that NOT surprise me?  ???  ::) 

Oh! And let's not forget his cover (yes, I know there is a separate thread for this, but I'm on a Will Smith kick here) of Grover's "Just the Two of Us"  Has the man done anything original?????    :o  (I bet if we look hard enough we'll find he sampled somebody for his Fresh Prince of Bel Air rap)

Thanks for letting me vent  :-[  (I even like some of his songs--original version and sampled)  :P
Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 10:18 pm

Thanks for letting me vent   :-long before he officially went solo).
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 10:24 pm

As do I. "Men In Black" and "Gettin Jiggy With It" are the two songs of his I like best (aside from the FPOBA theme, which he sang long before he officially went solo).

I completely agree with your favorites, though I am not a fan of the FPOBA theme.  I also like Summer Time (even before I found out it was Kool & the Gang's "Summer Madness").  I really enjoy all the originals he has sampled (that I've heard).
Written By: whistledog on 03/28/07 at 10:34 pm

In his hit 'Will2k', Will Smith did I believe a first by sampling a punk song.  He used 'Rock the Casbah' by The Clash
Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 10:36 pm

I completely agree with your favorites, though I am not a fan of the FPOBA theme.

I used to like it for a while, but got bored with it.

Yeah, when he was still a member of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, he sampled other songs for his music, right?
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 10:44 pm

I used to like it for a while, but got bored with it.

Yeah, when he was still a member of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, he sampled other songs for his music, right?

You are exactly right.    *  (gold star)  ;)

Looking back, it seems as if most of his stuff was sampled!
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 10:46 pm

In his hit 'Will2k', Will Smith did I believe a first by sampling a punk song.  He used 'Rock the Casbah' by The Clash

Didn't buy the CD, but I don't doubt it.  Branching out is good, right?  ::)
Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 10:46 pm

You are exactly right.    *  (gold star)   ;)

Looking back, it seems as if most of his stuff was sampled!

Just about all rappers seem to do that nowadays, lol!
Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/07 at 11:01 pm

I love Will Smith anyway.  If you're going to sample, sample right and he did that.  Too many artists think they can just throw a loop in there and it will be cool, but often times....it's not.
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 11:04 pm

I love Will Smith anyway.  If you're going to sample, sample right and he did that.  Too many artists think they can just throw a loop in there and it will be cool, but often times....it's not.

I agree with you -- on all counts.  Have you heard the originals of the songs he has sampled?  They are pretty fantastic.  (I wouldn't even have known that most of them were sampled until I started listening to my smooth jazz station.)

Didn't he also sample "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder?  Duh  Wild Wild West....already mentioned plz forgive the brain meltdown...past my bedtime
Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 11:07 pm

I agree with you -- on all counts.  Have you heard the originals of the songs he has sampled?  They are pretty fantastic.  (I wouldn't even have known that most of them were sampled until I started listening to my smooth jazz station.)

I agree too.

I never even knew about Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" until after the MIB movie came out. My smooth jazz station (KTWV 94.7 FM) plays that song, even though it's not really jazz.
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 11:10 pm

I agree too.

I never even knew about Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" until after the MIB movie came out. My smooth jazz station (KTWV 94.7 FM) plays that song, even though it's not really jazz.

My smooth jazz station (WVMV 97.9 Detroit--I live too far away to pick it up on radio, so I listen thru the pc) plays it, too.  That's also how I heard Summer Madness by K&TG, etc.
Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 11:15 pm

My smooth jazz station (WVMV 97.9 Detroit--I live too far away to pick it up on radio, so I listen thru the pc) plays it, too. That's also how I heard Summer Madness by K&TG, etc.

Summer Madness? I don't think I know that song. :-\\

My smooth jazz station has played a lot of non-jazz stuff (soft pop and the like) aside from "Forget Me Nots"... I think that's how I found out about the said song.
Written By: whistledog on 03/28/07 at 11:17 pm

One thing I love is when an artist samples their own song.  Examples ...

Love on Your Side - Thompson Twins (samples 'In the Name of Love')
Kiss - Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones (samples 'Close to the Edit', 'Peter Gunn' and 'Dragnet')
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 11:19 pm

One thing I love is when an artist samples their own song.  Examples ...

Love on Your Side - Thompson Twins (samples 'In the Name of Love')
Kiss - Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones (samples 'Close to the Edit', 'Peter Gunn' and 'Dragnet')

So do they have to pay themselves to use it?  :P  just kidding

(I love Art of Noise so I'm not going to pick on them too much)
Written By: Midas on 03/28/07 at 11:24 pm

Pussy 2000 used that Clash song around the same time, along with Sterling Void's "Alright" to make "It's Gonna Be Alright" (another one of my faves)
Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 11:25 pm

(I love Art of Noise so I'm not going to pick on them too much)

I only know their cover of Prince's "Kiss"...vaguely.
Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 11:45 pm

I only know their cover of Prince's "Kiss"...vaguely.

My fave is "Moments in Love"
Written By: nally on 05/01/07 at 10:08 pm

Not mentioned yet:

the instrumental classic "Soulful Strut" by Young-Holt Unlimited is sampled in Swing Out Sister's "Am I The Same Girl?" I dig that one. O0 8)
Written By: Paul on 05/02/07 at 7:16 am

Not exactly favourites (they tend to grind after you've heard them several thousand times), but a passing mention to James Brown's 'Funky Drummer' and Lynn Collins' 'Think' (more JB involvement)...

...both sampled to within an inch of their lives on near-enough every record from 1986-onwards!
Written By: statsqueen on 05/02/07 at 3:57 pm

Not mentioned yet:

the instrumental classic "Soulful Strut" by Young-Holt Unlimited is sampled in Swing Out Sister's "Am I The Same Girl?" I dig that one. O0 8)

Jeffrey, haven't heard Y-H U's "Soulful Strut" so I'm hoping you can answer this question:  Is their version anything like Grover Washington Jr.'s?  He does a jazz song called "Soulful Strut" that I absolutely love and now that I read what you wrote, I can hear "Am I..." in part of it, but couldn't remember the song---thanks for clearing that up even if you can't tell me how close GW's version is to Y-H U.
Written By: nally on 05/03/07 at 10:30 am

Jeffrey, haven't heard Y-H U's "Soulful Strut" so I'm hoping you can answer this question:  Is their version anything like Grover Washington Jr.'s?  He does a jazz song called "Soulful Strut" that I absolutely love and now that I read what you wrote, I can hear "Am I..." in part of it, but couldn't remember the song---thanks for clearing that up even if you can't tell me how close GW's version is to Y-H U.

I don't know GWJ's version of "Soulful Strut" so I can't answer that. I only know YHU's.
Written By: Lindee on 05/04/07 at 10:44 am

I'm not a fan of sampled songs but I do like Tone Loc's Wild Thing  (Jaime's Cryin'- Van Halen).
Written By: nally on 05/07/07 at 4:40 pm

I'm not a fan of sampled songs but I do like Tone Loc's Wild Thing  (Jaime's Cryin'- Van Halen).

His other big hit, "Funky Cold Medina", contains a sample of Free's "All Right Now" as well as a couple other songs (I forget ones).