inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Albums that turned out to be surprisingly good
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 5:05 pm

Have you ever bought a CD, and in the back of your mind you thought that it was gonna totally suck...but then you listened to it...and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was?

Here's a recent example for me.  You guys know Jordan Knight (of New Kids On The Block)...well, he's had a few solo albums since his NKOTB heyday....anyways, he came out with a "Love Songs" album...and there were 2 songs on there that he sang (one was a remake of The Cars: Drive, and the other was a new single that he sang with Deborah Gibson) and I had heard and liked...so I bought the CD on Amazon.com. I got it in the mail today and listened to it..and really, it's pretty great. He remade several different songs, and his voice sounds very smooth and soothing on them. I totally recommend this CD! :)
Subject: Re: Albums that turned out to be surprisingly good
Written By: woops on 04/26/07 at 11:27 pm

I have it and he's OK

Better than when he was in New Kids

Can't think of any albums.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/07 at 11:37 pm

I have it and he's OK

Better than when he was in New Kids

Can't think of any albums.

Yes...I especially like his version of, "Drive"....that's the first song that I heard and I knew that it was him right away...so that's one reason I bought the CD.
Written By: Apricot on 05/27/07 at 12:43 pm

My father bought James Blunt's "Back To Bedlam" for my mother on Valentine's Day... I actually wound up really liking the album.
Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 1:47 pm

For me, it was the 2000 album "Saints and Sinners" by All Saints. 
Originally I only took notice of All Saints when they first became popular in 1998 because I thought Melanie Blatt was super hot (which she still is), but their album was a little too R&B for my tastes.  Then one day, I was watching Much Music, and they aired one of those UK concerts 'The Smash Hits Poll Winners Party', and there were All Saints singing 'Black Coffee', a song from their second album 'Saints and Sinners'.  I liked it so much, that the next day I went out and bought the CD, and I really really enjoyed it!
Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/02/07 at 10:21 am

Have you ever bought a CD, and in the back of your mind you thought that it was gonna totally suck...but then you listened to it...and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was?

It happens all the time! 

Having a hard time with a recent example, because I've purchased few CDs lately (too many I already had to catch up on  ;)  ); most of what I've bought lately came with high expectations.

An example from couple years ago: I had low expectations for America's Human Nature CD, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.  Plenty of examples like that from the more distant past.

Usually getting such a pleasant surprise really boosts my fanship of the artist.