inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Dark Side Of The Moon - Wizard Of Oz Connection?
Written By: loki 13 on 04/26/07 at 5:47 pm

I am sure most of you heard the connection between Dark Side Of The Moon and the Wizard Of Oz. I
could never get the album to work out right, then I found youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmCfvcfHwKA&mode=related&search=

There it's called Dark Side Of The Rainbow, this is the first one. I find it very hard to make a connection on
some of it but other sections it' s easy. During the lyric " Balanced on the biggest wave," Dorothy is walking
on a fence. The next line, "You race toward an early grave," Dorothy falls off the fence.

What do you think? Can you see the connection?
Subject: Re: Dark Side Of The Moon - Wizard Of Oz Connection?
Written By: karen on 04/27/07 at 4:05 am

There used to be a big page around somewhere  on the net discussing all the connections.  I recall that there was a link with the Money song and something that happens.  Also something to do with the colour blue being mentioned and something being green on the screen (or vice versa).

I understand that you have to start the album with the correct lion's roar to get it to tie together.  I know that Cat spoke about trying this herself but I'm not sure if she ever got around to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/07 at 12:17 pm

There used to be a big page around somewhere  on the net discussing all the connections.  I recall that there was a link with the Money song and something that happens.  Also something to do with the colour blue being mentioned and something being green on the screen (or vice versa).

I understand that you have to start the album with the correct lion's roar to get it to tie together.  I know that Cat spoke about trying this herself but I'm not sure if she ever got around to it.

Needless to say, I have never gotten around to it.  :-[ I do have the album and the movie (on video) but just never found the time to try it out. Of course the big factor is the fact that Carlos can't stand the movie and he isn't too keen on Pink Floyd either. Oh well, I still love him.  ;D ;D

Cat
Written By: gemini on 04/28/07 at 9:17 am

We tried to get it to sync up once, but had it all wrong. Then I saw it for sale somewhere about a year ago, but I can't find it anymore. I know where Karen mentioned the part about Money, is the part where it goes from black and white to color. Tony is a huge Floyd fan and thinks it's just the most awesome thing ever!   ;D
Written By: loki 13 on 04/28/07 at 4:13 pm

As many times that I have tried, I could never get it in sync either. Thats why I was elated to come across some of
the songs with the movie playing already synced up, I didn't have to do anything but watch.

Even with the correct sync it is real hard to see the similarities. Whoever figured out there was some connection
has a very vivid imagination. ;D

This is Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Rainbow 4....It's the song, "Money."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvT-C8QArok&NR=1
Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/30/07 at 6:00 pm

Even with the correct sync it is real hard to see the similarities. Whoever figured out there was some connection
has a very vivid imagination. ;D

I could totally see the similarities!!

For example, during the tornado scene, the song "The Great Gig in the Sky" is playing and I thought it fit together great.  Also, at the begining when the "witch" comes over to Dorothy's house and tells Auntie Em that Dorothy has to get rid of Toto, it is the begining of the song "Time" which has a really foreboding sound to it. 

I haven't seen it all the way through, but to me, it's crazy how well it works.  Of course, I used to be a total stoner, so maybe that's why...  :-\\
Written By: loki 13 on 04/30/07 at 6:58 pm

I could totally see the similarities!!

For example, during the tornado scene, the song "The Great Gig in the Sky" is playing and I thought it fit together great.  Also, at the beginning when the "witch" comes over to Dorothy's house and tells Auntie Em that Dorothy has to get rid of Toto, it is the beginning of the song "Time" which has a really foreboding sound to it. 

I haven't seen it all the way through, but to me, it's crazy how well it works.  Of course, I used to be a total stoner, so maybe that's why...  :-\\

The vocals in the The Great Gig In The Sky sort of fit, it's almost as if they are screaming, anticipating impending doom.
Brain Damage coincides with the scarecrow dancing about and acting like a fool. Eclipse sort of fits also, during the line
"Everyone You Meet," Dorothy is shaking the Tin Man's hand.

I just think there are too few similarities to think the album was purposely made to coincide with the movie. Again, whoever
figured out the two are similar had way too much time on their hands.  ;D
Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/02/07 at 10:39 pm

The vocals in the The Great Gig In The Sky sort of fit, it's almost as if they are screaming, anticipating impending doom.
Brain Damage coincides with the scarecrow dancing about and acting like a fool. Eclipse sort of fits also, during the line
"Everyone You Meet," Dorothy is shaking the Tin Man's hand.

I just think there are too few similarities to think the album was purposely made to coincide with the movie. Again, whoever
figured out the two are similar had way too much time on their hands.  ;D

I don't necessarily think the album was made for the movie either.  It's just a freak coincidence.  A really really freak coincidence!
Written By: agrimorfee on 05/08/07 at 2:05 pm

The proper way to sync them is to run the Pink Floyd CD after the lion roars the 3rd time in the opening credits.

My favorite Floyd sync is Meddle with Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (run the CD as soon as the credit crawl starts, and run your CD player to make the CD play 3 times, through the lenght of the film)

And there are countless others, which this particular site only scratches the surface.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/3528/pink_floyd_movie_syncs.html

(Don't believe for a minute that any of this is purposeful, but it's fun nevertheless!) 8)
Written By: iPwn on 05/09/07 at 9:34 pm

actually it should be FAR side of the moon. the dark side of the moon is always changing

-ipwn, a proud pwn3r
Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/07 at 10:57 am

actually it should be FAR side of the moon. the dark side of the moon is always changing

-ipwn, a proud pwn3r

And there's no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.  :D
Written By: TinMan on 05/15/07 at 12:05 pm

This really does work if you synch up everything properly.  A quick search on Google for "Dark Side of the Rainbow" will bring up plenty of hits.  Here's a good one:

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/printable.htm

If you find a site with good directions, have the film on DVD and the album on CD you can get it to work.  It takes a bit of patience and the synch only works >really< well on the first play through.

I've read on various sites that this is all just a big coincidence but some of the synchs make for a compelling arguement that Roger Waters might have been having a bit of fun...
Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/26/07 at 12:55 am

I don't know why but I get creeped out everytime I hear about this.  :o