inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For those who hadn't noticed...

Written By: philbo on 04/22/04 at 12:09 pm

My elder two children posted their first parody at the weekend.  Fairly immature fare, 'tis true, but they're only ten and eight... and their next one's much better (when they get round to posting it... and I hope they remember to enable comments this time)

Thanks to the people who've voted so far... for those who haven't: http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional479.shtml

Phil
PS In case you were wondering, no - their names aren't Ron and Hermione... I don't know why they wanted to use a pen-name, but you can guess where it's come from :-)

Subject: Re: For those who hadn't noticed...

Written By: PRobinson on 04/22/04 at 4:46 pm

I'll take a look, Phil.  Right now the site is rather slow so I'll check it out later when I come back on this evening.

Thanks,

Paul

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/22/04 at 5:13 pm

You must be proud, Phil!  I voted 'em 545 I think.  Tell 'em to keep it coming! :D

Written By: xander999 on 04/23/04 at 6:32 am

A second generation of AmIRight parody artists...who'd of thought it?

Written By: Saider E. on 04/23/04 at 10:29 am

Really good to be 8 and 10 years old. Perfect.

Written By: philbo on 04/23/04 at 4:45 pm

Yes, agrimorfee, I'm proud of them...

My eldest has actually written quite a few extremely good songs, but I think it's her younger brother who's got them into amiright and wanting to start writing parodies for submission.  Wouldn't surprise me if they turned up here, too - I'm not going out of my way to get them into messageboards and all that, but I'm not going to stop them - and this is a very friendly sort of place to start.

I ought to get my father to post some of his, too: then there'd be three generations :D

Written By: PRobinson on 04/24/04 at 12:26 am

Phil,  that cracked me up.  I gave 'em 3-4-4 (gotta give em room for improvement).  I think the first "parody" I ever wrote was in the 7th grade.  I put words to one of those John Philip Souza marching songs - I believe it was "Oh, the monkey wrapped his tale around the flag pole/ to see the hairs grow / on his *sshole".  I DIDN'T use the  *asterisk. Unfortunately my Mother found it.  I was really stuck for an answer to "Where have I gone wrong?", but I promised I wouldn't do it again....Well,  guess I lied there, didn't I? You know, come to think of it, it WAS all her fault - she was the one who was always making word plays, twisting old, cliched metaphors around and doing the New York Times Crossword puzzle just about every day. Kicked butt at 'Scrabble', too.   She always said that "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished". 

Written By: Peregrin on 04/24/04 at 8:31 am

Good for them  :D  I gave them a 4-5-5.  I love the way children think, straight to the point  ;D

Tell them congrats please Phil  ;)

Written By: philbo on 04/24/04 at 4:24 pm

Kicked butt at 'Scrabble', too. 

Strangely enough, I have one on the go about Scrabble...

Tell them congrats please Phil  ;)

Will do.  Thanks.  They're currently really chuffed that it's got 18 votes (and my average is 15 per song) - their other one so far was submitted today, and I think comments should be turned on this time.

Phil

Written By: Josh2 on 04/25/04 at 8:05 am

Hi. I'm Josh 2 in amiright n im only 13. look at my work. do you think ive got taelnt for my age?

Written By: MarthaDTox on 04/25/04 at 9:23 am

Hi Phil

Great to hear about your kids .. tell them well done from me to..
Josh  keep wriitng it's such a fun thing to do  I will check out your lyrics

Written By: philbo on 04/25/04 at 2:41 pm

Hi. I'm Josh 2 in amiright n im only 13. look at my work. do you think ive got taelnt for my age?

I guess I'm going to sound like your father here... yes, I think you have talent, and a lot of potential, but please, PLEASE use English rather than text message abbreviations. 

Also (and I'm thinking of "Teenage Druggy" here) try sticking to things you know about - you're by no means the only author who's written "druggy" parodies without having any idea of what the drug scene is like, and it shows.  Seeing as I obviously can't recommend you try and gain that experience (::)), you'd be better off writing about something else.

But do carry on - I think we've all improved with practice, I know I have.  I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to post the sort of stuff I wrote when I was thirteen  :-[

Phil

Written By: Josh2 on 04/26/04 at 1:30 am

Sheesh. What's wrong aobut writing about drugs? How do you know about em? I've already had my lesson about em and I know someone who sometimes takes Ash. How to you know anyway?

lol

Yeh. I use proper english nowadays

Written By: philbo on 04/26/04 at 4:55 am

Nothing's wrong with writing about drugs, Josh, but you're writing on a subject about which you've only got third-hand information, and a school lesson on drugs (so to speak) isn't going to give any insight about what people on drugs are actually like, and that kind of shows in what you put in your parodies.

How do you know about em?

There's a law says you don't have to incriminate yourself... but if you look at my dozen-or-so drug-related parodies, they're all (except this one) about the marijuana/pot sort of scene, so you can have a pretty good guess.

I know someone who sometimes takes Ash.

WTF is "Ash" anyway?  Sounds rather like Sean Connery's posterior ;)

Phil

Written By: Peregrin on 04/26/04 at 7:16 am

Of course, it is easier to tell some of the haves from the have nots!  ::)

Take my following effort :

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/tearsforfears15.shtml

In which I wrote "Sniff Crack"  :-something to do with drugs  :'(

Seems everyone else got a laugh out of it though  :P

Phil, love the line about Sean's Ash  ;D

Written By: karen on 04/26/04 at 7:22 am

Philbo

I thought your children did a good job. I voted 4-5-5

Written By: philbo on 04/28/04 at 8:12 am

Thank you, Karen...

I nearly missed this one, myself: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/busted16.shtml

..I guess not as many people know "year 3000" as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" - not a vote nor a comment, and they even remembered to enable comments :-)

And Pippin - one should realize that one's crack ought not to be sniffed (however supple you happen to be).  Come to think of it, you shouldn't sniff coke, either: the bubbles always go up your nose

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/28/04 at 9:23 am

You've got a couple of bright young'uns there, Phil - must take after their old man!  I gave them 455 and enjoyed their first parody a lot!

Good work!

Johnny D :)

Written By: neminem on 04/28/04 at 11:28 am

And Pippin - one should realize that one's crack ought not to be sniffed (however supple you happen to be).

Nope. Crack is for playing, not for putting in one's body. (See my HMC parody on that one)

Check for new replies or respond here...