inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Recordings again

Written By: Rick D on 04/24/04 at 12:27 am

Feel free to contact me on this thread if you have ideas of how Mari and I can be of help with recordings. I got some messages from Merry, Jeff, Nem, and Spaff before the old messageboard blew up.  I'm asking Dave what he's ben doing on the recording front. And I want to hear from Phil soon about that project we discussed.

Subject: Re: Recordings again

Written By: Dan Edwards on 04/25/04 at 1:39 pm

I was listening to one of your recordings earlier and I must say you do a fabulous job. "My Good Son" I believe it's called. You must spend a lot of time trying to get the recordings to soud like that, because I've taken a hand at something like that once and it was very hard. So you ROCK ON!!!

Written By: Rick D on 04/26/04 at 12:22 am

Actually Dan, that one was easy to record. Just hard to play. Thanks for listening.

Written By: philbo on 04/26/04 at 8:48 am

Sorry, Rick - Phil's not had much time recently.  You'll have noticed (or possibly not) a dearth of parody submissions, too: I've been teeming with ideas, but home, work, wife, kids, school etc. have been eating into parody-writing time.  The one chance I've had recently was torpedoed by a dead hard disk. :-(

Phil

Written By: EthanM on 05/03/04 at 12:14 am

rick - ideally i'd like help recording my stuff that's based on songs from the past year or two but i have a feeling that's not going to happen. So all i can suggest is check my stuff out on soundclick when you get the chance and when you find something you'd like to collaborate on to make it better let me know

Written By: neminem on 05/03/04 at 4:42 pm

Yeah! I'd love to get instrumental tracks of pretty much anything on my list - I can handle the singing side, but I play no instruments nor am I very knowledgeable about arranging on a computer. Or if you wanted me to sing over the original and then erase the original, and you could play to that, I could do it that way too... probably not until the summer, though.

Written By: Rick D on 05/03/04 at 9:13 pm

I'll look over both your lists and see what we can knock out. I'll let you know what I like. I assume if I send you mp3s you both can record over it and post yourselves?

Written By: neminem on 05/03/04 at 10:52 pm

I'll look over both your lists and see what we can knock out. I'll let you know what I like. I assume if I send you mp3s you both can record over it and post yourselves?

In my case, yes.

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/04 at 7:17 am

i should be able to record over mp3s too

Subject: Recording Rights

Written By: Leo Jay on 05/13/04 at 9:38 am

How difficult/complicated/expensive is it to get the rights to record and SELL your parodies? ???

Written By: marthadtox2 on 05/13/04 at 12:27 pm

Hi Rick

I would like to commission a recording of a track that I need for  a gig that I planning on 9th July It is the Tom Lehrer song .. the Elements  but not in the key of the recording.
Just keyboard would be fine.

There is an audio link to the song from here..http://www.liv.ac.uk/Chemistry/Links/refperiodic.html

My version is at http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/tomlehrer3.shtml

I am also looking for a track of "Take it to the Limit" by the Eagles.. but again not in the same key.

I would be happy to discuss this if you think you may be interested...

Written By: Rick D on 05/14/04 at 2:09 am

Martha, tell me what key you want, also you want the Lehrer version and not a piano transcription of the G&S original? Can easily do and send you mp3.  Leo Jay, the rights and performance issues are nothing compared to selling parodies. Generaly, they won't care unless you start making some kind of decent coin from it. But many artis have made a good chunk from Wierd Al's efforts. Martha above might bve able to help with the legalese, but, I wouldn't even worry. If someone wanted to sue me for profits from my parodies, I'd give them all 87 cents, then run to the press for the publicity.

Written By: marthadtox2 on 05/14/04 at 10:56 am

Hi Rick

Great. I have been using a piano only backing track which is backing for the G and S not the Lehrer verison.

I would love a piano track just like the Lehrer version. I have the sheet music for the G and S version if that would be of any interest.

I could put it in the post with the track that I am using at present which is in an OK key and is a recording of the version in the sheet music. 

I have edited bits of the G and S version together on tape to fit the Lehrer format lyric.

It is OK for practising but not for public performance.

I could also include a tape or CD copy of the Lehrer recording.

I have not yet got tecchie enough to work with MP3s .. that is on my to do list ..I still use old fashioned tapes and CDs but I have a neightbour who is very tecchie and could burn me a CD from an MP3 file.

Written By: marthadtox2 on 05/14/04 at 10:57 am

Forgot to say I will not be online again til next week cos my home computer is being de bugged!!

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/14/04 at 11:21 am

Generaly, they won't care unless you start making some kind of decent coin from it. But many artis have made a good chunk from Wierd Al's efforts. Martha above might bve able to help with the legalese, but, I wouldn't even worry. If someone wanted to sue me for profits from my parodies, I'd give them all 87 cents, then run to the press for the publicity.

Well said, Highlander.  8)

Written By: Rick D on 05/14/04 at 3:33 pm

Martha, when you get back, send me a KEY or some idea of your vocal range. Also tempo. I don't think you want it as fast as what Tom sang. I alread input the music from Lehrer's "Tomfoolery" Just need to change keys, burn it and send it. I don't mind sending via regular mail. Let me know.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 05/17/04 at 4:44 pm

Hi Rick

I think the key that my G and S recording is in  is Eflat...I  wrote it orginally to the Lehrer speed but  I guess the words would be more effective a  lttle slower!
I don't have a metronome .. I will get one and give you a reading...

The only differerence  between the way I do it and Lehrer's version is that I reprise the last 2 lines .of the last verse before the final 2 lines  .....and then it slows down  a bit more for the last two lines.......and finishes with a couple of chords at the end  for a finish..but just whatever you think...

Written By: Rick D on 05/17/04 at 7:57 pm

If e-flat works for you, no problem. And I'll add the last part. I do think you want it just a bit slower. I would.

Written By: Rick D on 05/17/04 at 7:59 pm

Oops. Meant to say the key in my Lehrer book is "C".  E flat might be better since you're a female type. Mari usually sings up a fourth from me.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 05/18/04 at 1:11 am

Hi  e flat a little bit slower sounds great.....

Written By: Rick D on 05/18/04 at 11:00 pm

Martha, I'm having a little trouble scanning your version with the Lehrer. I assume the lines you want repeated is :

they’re into flirting with the poolman they want to sh*g him something chronic
such a change from the old routine of self abuse and a gin and tonic

But I don't understand how that "fits" the original. In fact, as written, the verses fit mostly int the Tom version. It just seems like I have to cram a word in here and there. You read music, right? Maybe I can email you the piano part.

Written By: marthadtox2 on 05/19/04 at 4:06 am

Martha, I'm having a little trouble scanning your version with the Lehrer. I assume the lines you want repeated is :

they’re into flirting with the poolman they want to sh*g him something chronic
such a change from the old routine of self abuse and a gin and tonic

But I don't understand how that "fits" the original. In fact, as written, the verses fit mostly int the Tom version. It just seems like I have to cram a word in here and there. You read music, right? Maybe I can email you the piano part.

Written By: marthadtox2 on 05/19/04 at 4:11 am

Hi Rick

They fit fine if you just sing the words "they're into " before the first beat of the bar so the bar starts with "flirting......"

I wrote the words to fit the Lehrer version  you just need to start a bit before the bar in places....

The version I have is the CD called "Tom Lehrer in Concert" Decca recording  first recorded in 1959 The Elements song is track 4. I have put it in the post today...

I have also sent a message...

Written By: Diva on 05/19/04 at 6:06 am

:) I love to listen to your and Mari's recordings! Keep them comming!

I can't sing a note of music , or play any instruments .

I can appecitate your talents, I know good music when I hear it.

Written By: Rick D on 05/19/04 at 9:58 am

New one today, Diva- Thanks.

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/19/04 at 10:56 am

:) I love to listen to your and Mari's recordings! Keep them comming!

I can't sing a note of music , or play any instruments .

I can appecitate your talents, I know good music when I hear it.

I appreciate RAD and MAD's talents, too, Diva - so much so that I just submitted a new parody of "Proud Mary" (original song by Creedence Clearwater Revival) called "MAD Mari".  ;D

Written By: Diva on 05/25/04 at 1:30 pm

Sorry That I didn't reply sooner. I've been having problems with my PC. :-[

I'll try to go listen , of my sound is working.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 05/26/04 at 5:35 pm

Just like to say a big thank you to Rick and Mari for recording a backing track for my parody .. it should get its first public performance at my next review on July 9th.... if any Amirighters are in London at that time send me a message ... if you would like to do a number !

Check for new replies or respond here...