inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody search, author pages, etc

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/04 at 10:23 am

The parody search was being used for more than just searching, it was also used for the links on the actual parody pages, and this in turn was causing a ton of server drain.  I removed the links on all the parodies for now, since I've disabled the scripts.  Since I know it was something a lot of people used, I will do my best to create a better version in a month or two.

Subject: Re: Parody search, author pages, etc

Written By: philbo on 04/29/04 at 5:53 pm

Just a thought, Chucky - one way to re-enable searching for the short term might be to pass it on to google, for example:

Search for my stuff at amiright

...though if you don't want to put that in temporarily, a tip for anyone wanting to search for something at amiright:

if you add
site:www.amiright.com
to your google search string, it will search only at amiright.

Subject: Re: Parody search, author pages, etc

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/30/04 at 8:59 am

Just a thought, Chucky - one way to re-enable searching for the short term might be to pass it on to google, for example:

Search for my stuff at amiright

...though if you don't want to put that in temporarily, a tip for anyone wanting to search for something at amiright:

if you add
site:www.amiright.com
to your google search string, it will search only at amiright.

I did put a google search box on the parody search page, with a site search option.  I'll probably replace the search engines during the month of May. 

The site has gone over a week without a crash, so it's probably safe to assume that they were causing the problem.  I'm going to use PHP which I don't know very well, to try and write a search function that is less process intenstive, and hopefully won't bring the server to it's knees.

Check for new replies or respond here...