inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Plagairized Parodies

Written By: Mr. X on 05/06/04 at 5:28 pm

On the old messageboard, you had a topic about what to do when we see parodies that are plagiarized. But if at least 95% of the words are verbatim from the original, would that also be considered plagairism? Here's an example: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/madness5.shtml

Subject: Re: Plagairized Parodies

Written By: Anon on 03/08/05 at 1:17 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/santanafeatrobthomas1.shtml

This one is like totally verbatim from the original song! All he did was change one word.

Written By: neminem on 03/10/05 at 1:09 am

On that note, I encountered something rather odd when checking whether the parody I just sent in tonight had already been done: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/nsync85.shtml

I quote directly from the top text of that parody: "I found this in issue #358 (September 2002) of Cracked magazine." Not sure what to do with that, given that I don't have access to back issues of Cracked magazine, so I don't know whether it means what it sounds like it does. But it sure sounds a heck of a lot like blatant plagiarism. Well, not plagiarism, per se, since he credited the original source... though his name still appears on the title page as the author of the parody... call it "unauthorized reproduction", anyway.

Written By: Me on 08/16/05 at 12:21 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/maroon549.shtml

This author used the exact same lyrics from TOS, and the only thing he changed was the word "love" to "glove". Please get rid of it, thank you very much.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 08/19/05 at 6:55 pm

>:(
Today I happen to come across a plaguerized version of one of my own parodies. This really pisses me off because this guy, K.Y.L.E. is claiming that he did not steal mine and it's all coincidence. Every part of his is exactly the same (including the opening comments!) except for the music artists' names. It doesn't even rhyme! This is an obvious plaguerism and I would like it removed.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/buggles3.shtml

MY original is at http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thebuggles13.shtml

Thank you, Chucky.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/19/05 at 9:48 pm

Today I happen to come across a plaguerized version of one of my own parodies. This really ticks me off because this guy, K.Y.L.E. is claiming that he did not steal mine and it's all coincidence. Every part of his is exactly the same (including the opening comments!) except for the music artists' names. It doesn't even rhyme! This is an obvious plaguerism and I would like it removed.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/buggles3.shtml

MY original is at http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thebuggles13.shtml

Thank you, Chucky.

Everything KYLE posts is ripped off from someone else, I've been pulling them down when people find them.  It's gone now.

Even if I wrote a plagery detection system, people would try and work around it.  Thankfully, there's an active enough community here that things like this usually get spotted pretty quickly.  I'm actually a little puzzled after reading the comments, that no one sent me the URL sooner.

Written By: Mrs MC Hammer on 11/01/06 at 4:21 pm

Dear Admins,

It appears that this parody was indeed a plagairized work:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/creedenceclearwaterrevival97.shtml

While Google-surfing, I found the source of it: http://members.aol.com/litmanrs/feb29th.htm

So if you could, please get rid of the "Parody" I referenced above.

Thank you.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/23/06 at 8:10 pm

Well Fitu, you really improved with this American Pie parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean95.shtml

so much so that my first thought was "it's probably a plagiarism." Unfortunately, I am correct (don't delete this one):

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean2.shtml

Horrific pacing, non-existent rhyming and posting fragments are forgiveable, even fixable with a bit of work. Stealing someone else's material word-for-word and posting it as your own, once, might be considered a misunderstanding. Doing it 3 times in as many months is practically begging to be banned.

Written By: nally on 12/18/06 at 12:21 pm

Stealing someone else's material word-for-word and posting it as your own, once, might be considered a misunderstanding.

Our friend Fitu has sent in another plagiarism:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jamesblunt91.shtml

That one is entirely verbatim from a similarly-titled parody by an author named Jason:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jamesblunt80.shtml (the correct version; please keep this)

Written By: skittlesking on 12/18/06 at 1:13 pm

Why would someone steal someone elses' parody lyrics, that's so--dumb--I'm glad you guys call people on it, makes me feel safer about my own, especially since I started uploading recordings today.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 12/18/06 at 5:23 pm

Why would someone steal someone elses' parody lyrics, that's so--dumb--I'm glad you guys call people on it, makes me feel safer about my own, especially since I started uploading recordings today.

It mystifies me too, David....my only guess is that those with...how shall I put it?....no talent for writing their own stuff, think they'll get some kudos by posting a well written parody and claiming ownership. What they don't realise is:
a) If their past work is below par, it doesn't take a genius to work out that a sudden massive improvement will arouse suspicion
b) The parody writing community is small and pretty tight-knit, and
c) Google is a WONDERFUL search engine

I think most of the plagiarists are probably pretty young, and we all do stupid things in our youth...but that will not save them from the roasting they deserve if they get caught!

Written By: Jason on 12/18/06 at 5:49 pm

Our friend Fitu has sent in another plagiarism:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jamesblunt91.shtml

That one is entirely verbatim from a similarly-titled parody by an author named Jason:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jamesblunt80.shtml (the correct version; please keep this)

So Fitu decided to rip off my James Blunt parody? That stupid sock should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/18/06 at 5:56 pm

I don't why they do it, but they do it a lot. If I made a post on this thread for every plagiary I've reported in the last year or so it would be ~8 pages longer than it is now. No one here is sympathetic to plagiarists, especially me.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=23831.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=23317.0

Written By: skittlesking on 12/19/06 at 12:09 am

I kinda feel sorry for the second artist because they don't seem to realize how bad they are. . .the first one, that one's hysterical. . .that's A LOT of plagorithm. . .the whole pacing thing, that's part of why I sing my songs, if it doesn't fit, I need to re-write it, that's how my current most recent entry (entry number 8) Lazy came to be, although I think I need to slow down when I enter my songs, they all have at least one typo (oops), but then this is catch up posting anyway to get into my newer stuff. . .I'm glad they are doing well thus far. . .the parodies I've posted through tomorrow are the ones that got the least praise on the sites I originally posted them, so the ones to come I'm much more proud of. . .and these ones have all done well. . .

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/04/07 at 5:41 am

I think there was also an occurence of a parody stolen from its original author - a guy who posted "Spongebob's In Da Club", in the 50 Cent parody index page. Chucky, I think you guys should delete that because the guy who posted it stole it from a lyrics site - besides, I saw several occurences of "Spongebob's In Da Club" after a Google search.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/04/07 at 6:47 am

I think there was also an occurence of a parody stolen from its original author - a guy who posted "Spongebob's In Da Club", in the 50 Cent parody index page. Chucky, I think you guys should delete that because the guy who posted it stole it from a lyrics site - besides, I saw several occurences of "Spongebob's In Da Club" after a Google search.

would help if you gave me the URL of the parody

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/06/07 at 12:33 am

would help if you gave me the URL of the parody

OK Chucky, here's the URL of the ripped off parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/50cent73.shtml

Thanks for giving me a chance to show off my parodies, Monsieur Chucky, I appreciate it... - Blake = )

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/11/07 at 10:41 pm

Anybody who plagiarizes the parodies of others are nothing more than unoriginal idiots who deserve a reality check! Maybe someone can come up with a message board to report these untalented losers. I just found this website a few days ago, and have already sent in a few of my songs already, with more to come in the future. I won't say that my songs are funny, that's for other's to decide, but at least I can claim that they came from my brain, and that is a far better feeling than anything I can imagine. Maybe we all should form a union. lol

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/07 at 10:49 pm

There probably should be a parody writers' union, but creating a functional one would probably be extremely difficult if not impossible.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/07 at 11:02 pm

The IPWA

The International Parody Writer's Association. . .I could create a site for that pretty easily. . .I know it sounds really funny. . .but hey, at least it would help get the info to one spot and it'd be easier to spot.

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/07 at 11:23 pm

A website shouldn't be a problem if you know how to set them up, but there are a few that I do foresee based on previous experience here:

1) Dues. You can't run an organization effectively without money, and it also seems unreasonable to charge people money for something with absolutely no guarantee of success. If people are willing to take the chance, how much would membership cost?

2) Who can join? Is there a certain standard of quality, and if so who can determine who is deserving? Is there a certain amount of prolific output that's required. If there is no standard than the organization will have less credibility and therefore be less effective, and if there is then feelings will get hurt.

3) Every time I've brought the money issue up before, I've run into widespread belief that it is impossible to make much money off of parodies unless you are Weird Al. People who feel that way probably won't want to join a parody writing union.

If we can deal with those 3 issues, then the IPWA (better name possibly pending) would be in great shape. 

Written By: skittlesking on 01/12/07 at 12:40 am

1) Web building is something I could certainly handle, I know PHP well enough to make it self updating and use less space at the same time.  I would think we could make mebership free with donations being optional and a small store.  Simply having a site that claims that a parody has been written by . . . on . . . and was copyrighted by said person would suffice.

2) I would think for sake of simply being a member, anyone, but as for putting a parody into "protected" status the parody would have to be judged by a panel of parodists who have established themselves as original and creative parodists. 

3) Yes it is hard to make money of parodies, that's why I myself don't try, but money or not people have a right to protect their work which is why I think a free site built just for copyright protection claim would be great.  It would make it easy to search through a list of approved, high quality parodies that if re-written they could go and point to that says exactly when they wrote it.  I think actually this idea would be great for all indie artists.   

I think some of the things that should be considered when allowing someone to claim protected status on the site are. . .
A) Wether or not the Song is original (obvious, but necessary)
B) Wether or not the Song CAN BE performed (Near Perfect Pacing)
C) Wether or not the Song differs enough from it's original
D) In the case of a parody, wether or not all verses/major choruses in the parody have been included
E) What rating the parody would recieve (Anything but X should be acceptable, but noted on NC17/PG13)

It's an idea, a little one, but one that maybe can be floated, I was in the process of planning a site dedicated to Parody Recordings since there doesn't seem to be one. . .including a feature like this would not be difficult

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/12/07 at 12:08 pm

Maybe the answer is not a paid website, but a free blogsite where writers can drop off a copy of their parody. These sites would be dated automatically by the arrival of the submission. We could even have a page on there to report if someone is caught stealing our lyrics. When I wrote about the union idea, I was only half serious.  I don't know if it is a feasible idea to make parodists pay dues, as money doesn't make you funny. Our wit, talent and lyrics do. I'd hate to freeze a parodist's future just because he couldn't afford to pay the dues. We just have to find something that protects our work from any Milli Vanilli wannabes out there. Good forum here, though. This may be the start of something positive for all of us parodists. Any other ideas out there?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/12/07 at 12:14 pm

I could just put a "first submitted on..." date on all the parodies themselves.  I think that would accomplish the same thing.  I know the date information is currently being stored when something is submitted.  It's also easy to tell, if you click on a parody author's name and look at their author page, you can see when something is submitted.  If something is on the web somewhere else, a copy of something on amIright, you can at least say, "hey, it was submitted to amIright on such and such a date by this person".  If the other copy is more recent, it's up to that person to prove it's older.

Written By: EthanM on 01/12/07 at 1:21 pm

The "date submitted" idea should work - I don't see a point of a separate site for protecting parodies from plagiarism. If a union did exist, its purpose would be to help people get paid for their work - either through selling the rights to a parody already on amiright or through contracts to write new parodies for clients based on talent displayed through amiright. It might be possible to have parodists give back some of their earnings to pay for union expenses, but someone or a group of people would have to (probably) make a significant initial investment to actually start a parody union.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/12/07 at 10:58 pm

There might be another snag to this union idea also. Right now most of us write just for the fun of it. Anything that tickles our funnybone is fair game, but if we ever get to the point of getting paid for it, then another kettle of fish opens up. Don't get me wrong. I write parodies for the love of it, but when it comes to parodizing other people's songs, it would probably make anybody mad to spend countless hours getting a parody to sound just right, and have the author of the music throw up a roadblock to our incomes by refusing to allow the release of it. Unless we all start writing only original songs, this could very easily be a possibility. Not that that's a bad idea. I've written a lot of songs on my trusty Telecaster, but the fact is, not everybody knows how to play an instrument. Lyrics are some peoples only option, unless they hook up with a musician. It's a lot easier to parodize a well known song than it is to write one from scratch, although I love to do both. I think we are onto something here though. Keep the thoughts coming. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jestera.gif 

Written By: EthanM on 01/12/07 at 11:26 pm

That is a good point, but I don't think that it would be a problem. In the United States of America, nobody can stop someone from releasing a parody of their song as long as the parody recording doesn't use a copyrighted backing track without securing the rights first. There would be the possibility of clients changing their minds, but I think that the potential for both money and exposure (of the lyrics at least) outweighs the possibility of disappointment.

Getting shafted once in a while could be frustrating, but is it as bad as having spent years honing a marketable skill/craft and not having access to paying markets?

Most people who play sports or make music for a living probably would do what they do for fun if they couldn't make a living from it. Plenty of people do those things for fun and don't make much money from it, but generally when someone is good enough that watching them play is entertaining then they get paid for it. Is there any good reason why the same shouldn't apply to parody writing?

I really need to start writing some parodies again - to prove  to myself and others that I can still do it well. 

Written By: Red Ant on 01/13/07 at 1:47 am

Anybody who plagiarizes the parodies of others are nothing more than unoriginal idiots who deserve a reality check! Maybe someone can come up with a message board to report these untalented losers.

That message board exists right here on inthe00s.com, and, to a more direct point, on this thread itself.

99% of plagiaries submitted to AmiRight are either caught during ChuckyG's screening process or within a few hours of the front page being updated. No one here is sympathetic to plagiarists, especially me. I have lost count of the number of plagiarized works I've reported for deletion: that number is probably in the triple digits by now.

Aside from that K.Y.L.E bastard a while ago, most plagiarists are attempting to take credit for OS lyrics, and not posting parody lyrics (though "Ugly Girl" seems to be posted verbatim every few months from the 'net...).

As for other sites/people "stealing" or reposting AmiWriter's work w/o permission, it happens, but from what I can gather is fairly rare. The only parody recording I know of that exists w/o the author's permission is of 2nz' "I Wok Alone". IIRC, he was more flattered than upset.

This site, nor any "parody writer's union" site is going to stop the occasional loser who thinks they can impress their friends with work that isn't his.

~~What follows is just what I've gathered from being around a while. If I'm incorrect, feel free to correct me~~

As far as the rest of this page's conversation has gone, I'm a bit lost. AFAIK, and in America anyway, as soon as you post an original work on the 'net it is copyrighted. Actually getting an official copyright strengthens your claim should someone steal your work.

Getting permission from the original artist to make a parody in written and/or recorded form is not required either. WAY does it as a matter of professional courtesy, not as a matter of law. As an "amateur", I am not bound by such constraints... good thing, too, because I have this tendency to slam songs I don't like, and such creations would never be approved by the original artists...

Ethan is right regarding copyrighted background tracks, which I've found to be a major hinderance in recording my works (vocal scrub/masking software is basically useless due to legal issues ). IMHO, 98% of MIDI tracks out there, unmodified, are unfit to lay a vocal track over to make a decent recording, and there usually isn't a "free-use" track (ala a karaoke tape) available for the genres I choose to parody (if only I made more country and 2000s pop song parodies...).

~~ ~~

I write for fun, and while I don't eliminate the possibility that one day something I write may net me a small sum of moolah, I don't count on it either. I believe it was S.T.G who said a while back (paraphrasing): "Writing parodies is either a cool hobby, a weird obsession, or a crappy career choice."

I have a real job, and much of the time it isn't a barrel-full o' laughs. As odd as it may sound, I'd probably be miserable if my bread-winning came from writing parodies. Writing is something I do out of love for laughter: work is something I do of necessity. I never want to mix the two.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/13/07 at 2:39 am

That message board exists right here on inthe00s.com, and, to a more direct point, on this thread itself.

99% of plagiaries submitted to AmiRight are either caught during ChuckyG's screening process or within a few hours of the front page being updated. No one here is sympathetic to plagiarists, especially me. I have lost count of the number of plagiarized works I've reported for deletion: that number is probably in the triple digits by now.

Aside from that K.Y.L.E bastard a while ago, most plagiarists are attempting to take credit for OS lyrics, and not posting parody lyrics (though "Ugly Girl" seems to be posted verbatim every few months from the 'net...).

As for other sites/people "stealing" or reposting AmiWriter's work w/o permission, it happens, but from what I can gather is fairly rare. The only parody recording I know of that exists w/o the author's permission is of 2nz' "I Wok Alone". IIRC, he was more flattered than upset.

This site, nor any "parody writer's union" site is going to stop the occasional loser who thinks they can impress their friends with work that isn't his.

~~What follows is just what I've gathered from being around a while. If I'm incorrect, feel free to correct me~~

As far as the rest of this page's conversation has gone, I'm a bit lost. AFAIK, and in America anyway, as soon as you post an original work on the 'net it is copyrighted. Actually getting an official copyright strengthens your claim should someone steal your work.

Getting permission from the original artist to make a parody in written and/or recorded form is not required either. WAY does it as a matter of professional courtesy, not as a matter of law. As an "amateur", I am not bound by such constraints... good thing, too, because I have this tendency to slam songs I don't like, and such creations would never be approved by the original artists...

Ethan is right regarding copyrighted background tracks, which I've found to be a major hinderance in recording my works (vocal scrub/masking software is basically useless due to legal issues ). IMHO, 98% of MIDI tracks out there, unmodified, are unfit to lay a vocal track over to make a decent recording, and there usually isn't a "free-use" track (ala a karaoke tape) available for the genres I choose to parody (if only I made more country and 2000s pop song parodies...).

~~ ~~

I write for fun, and while I don't eliminate the possibility that one day something I write may net me a small sum of moolah, I don't count on it either. I believe it was S.T.G who said a while back (paraphrasing): "Writing parodies is either a cool hobby, a weird obsession, or a crappy career choice."

I have a real job, and much of the time it isn't a barrel-full o' laughs. As odd as it may sound, I'd probably be miserable if my bread-winning came from writing parodies. Writing is something I do out of love for laughter: work is something I do of necessity. I never want to mix the two.

I don't know. It sure beats the 9 to 5 drag. If I had a choice, I would chose to do something I love for a living over a job that makes me wish for an early death. If you enjoy what you do for a living, then it doesn't seem like work to me. Unless there were strict time limits, or something, I think it would be great to get paid for writing parodies, but I ain't getting my hopes up. I think Weird Al's got the market cornered. For now, I'll just keep posting to "amiright". I haven't had this much fun in a long time.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/13/07 at 7:13 am

Red Ant, I have been modifying midis, my songs are being re-done (see background tracks)  Only 12 need to be redone at this point, the difference is staggering.  I've offered to help people either vocally or by sending backing tracks to songs I've done to no avail. . .so I also think it's partly people don't want to record, I find that those who record tend to write well paced parodies (Exactly Midnight, Myself, Kristof etc) because to record you have to be perfectly paced. . .or very very close. . .I plan on doing most of my remaining songs tonight, but ANY song I record from this point on will have vocal sounds removed, and while of course they still don't sound like the original (well sometimes they do) they do sound a lot better when I get through with them and respectable enough to where some of my songs have been downloaded 50 or more times.

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/13/07 at 7:32 pm

The IPWA

The International Parody Writer's Association. . .I could create a site for that pretty easily. . .I know it sounds really funny. . .but hey, at least it would help get the info to one spot and it'd be easier to spot.

Hey, I'm also thinking of that - it's a great idea if we start such an association, maybe some online headquarters and a Wikipedia-style donation stuff may do, like www.parodyassociation.org, or something...

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/14/07 at 11:56 am

I used to work at a local radio station as an announcer in the mid 80's, and every few months, we would have to fill in sheets naming the songs we played, and the writers of these songs for ratings, and also to guarantee that all collaborators in a song's creation got paid. I'm not sure how it works in the United States, but up here in Canada, we have a four part system for crediting a songs history. It is called MAPL(I don't know if this is strictly a Canadian policy), for Music, Artist, Producer, and Lyrics. Up here, we have a law that states that we have to devote a certain amount of daily airplay to songs that are considered Canadian Content, or Cancon as it is called. At least three of these categories have to be from Canadians, or it isn't considered a true Cancon song.

Maybe, we could have a similar system in the parody world. MAPL assures that all people who contributed to a song are paid. This way, people who don't have access to any recording devices can still be looked after. People could drop off their lyrics to be viewed by others, and if one strikes a chord with someone, maybe it can be recorded by an interested musician and they share in any revenue it brings in.  OS's is where it could get to be really profitable for some. If you write the music and lyrics, and record and produce your own OS, then a percentage would go to the organization, but the lions share would go to you for doing all of the work. The other side is that musicians might see somebody elses lyrics on the site, and might think they can make a marketable recording of them. That way, if this thing takes off, lyricists who have limited incomes may be able to raise money to record their own work someday, and therefore help the whole organization become a rewarding venture. We could make it a sort of Pay It Forward system, if that makes any sense. Joe helps Jack, then Jack helps Jill, then Jill helps Jasper, and so forth. Producers would be credited for laying out the basic BG track, Artists for recording it, the music writer for the chords, and the lyricist for the words. Anybody who contributes is paid for their effort. It's just an idea.

Any other thoughts?

Written By: Jason on 01/28/07 at 11:36 am

This is just Tokosu Sentai Blessranger cobbling other people's parodies into one big parody and claiming it is his. He even lists the other authors in his bottom comment:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/variousartists29.shtml

If Fitu Petaia did this, it would be removed at once, so there is no reason why TSB should be treated different.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/28/07 at 12:06 pm

This is just Tokosu Sentai Blessranger cobbling other people's parodies into one big parody and claiming it is his. He even lists the other authors in his bottom comment:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/variousartists29.shtml

If Fitu Petaia did this, it would be removed at once, so there is no reason why TSB should be treated different.

I'm not even sure I should be allowing these.  He's done several now, and no one has complained.  I generally dislike the whole "medley" thing.

Written By: Jason on 01/28/07 at 12:18 pm

I'm not even sure I should be allowing these.  He's done several now, and no one has complained.  I generally dislike the whole "medley" thing.

Yea, I don't think medleys are an issue in their own right (I wrote a medley of nursury rhymes, but each rhyme was re-written from scratch and DID NOT use any of the OS's lyrics), but here TSB is simply copying snippets from other parodies and throwing them together to create one parody. I feel this still comes under plaigarism IMHO.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/28/07 at 12:58 pm

TSB is fully crediting everyone from whom he "borrows" material to make these medleys, and I don't think anyone here is going to file a suit against him for using their work. That said, I doubt he obtained permission from anyone before making these medleys.

Unlike his numerous WAY polka parodies, IMHO these medleys are not parodies because they are not set to an original piece of music/poem/whatever: they are simply free-writes. That, combined with their borderline (though probably unintentional) plagiaristic nature makes me think they should be removed, but I'd like to see what Arwen, Adagio, Jeff Reuben, AFW, Tommy Turtle, etc. think of their work being included before any actions are taken:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/variousartists28.shtml

Written By: adagio on 01/28/07 at 3:16 pm

Intentonal or not, TSB obviously knows when to credit different songs, or parodies.  He did not obtain permission from me before using part of one of my parodies. Chucky, at the bottom of the page says that permission must be obtained. I would not file any lawsuit, but it is at least good manners to ask before using part of a parody.  If even a word looks like it is made up by the author, manners would dictate asking first, IMHO. 

Thank you Jack for calling this to our attention. I would like to see it removed.

Written By: Jason on 01/28/07 at 3:40 pm

Intentonal or not, TSB obviously knows when to credit different songs, or parodies.  He did not obtain permission from me before using part of one of my parodies. Chucky, at the bottom of the page says that permission must be obtained. I would not file any lawsuit, but it is at least good manners to ask before using part of a parody.  If even a word looks like it is made up by the author, manners would dictate asking first, IMHO. 

Thank you Jack for calling this to our attention. I would like to see it removed.

Adagio, it was me that brought up the subject of TSB's medleys. I wish to reiterate that if Fitu Petaia did these 'medleys', they would be removed faster than you can blink. So there is absolutely no reason why TSB should be let off. You are right Adagio, if any part of a song, even one sentence, is used without permission, then it is regarded as plaigarism. If TSB used any part of my parodies without asking me first, i'd be fuming indeed.

Written By: adagio on 01/28/07 at 4:00 pm

Jason, I was not sure if it was the same 'medley', so thank you also!  :) Right now, I suppose that I'm rather angered at this...true, most of us don't get any money from it, but it represents hard work anyway, plus inspiration. 

Heck, if TSB gets away with this, what's to stop the rest of us from copping part of a parody and calling it our own.  The only thing, you have to agree, is the integrity that we hold our parodies to and refusal to sink so low.  It has taken me I don't know how many years just to get where I am (not very high on the chart, but proud of almost every parody), using quality, not cheapness, so of course I resent this action.

Thanks again!  I better get off my soapbox... ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 01/28/07 at 4:08 pm

if any part of a song, even one sentence, is used without permission, then it is regarded as plaigarism.

Borrowing a single line from an OS or elsewhere may technically be plagiarism, but this isn't a college course in writing. Researching every single line of text that has ever been published to make sure that yours is not identical to it is wholly impossible anyway. Blatant plagiarism is more with what I am concerned.

Yes, you brought up the topic, however I sent PMs to 4 of the authors involved, Pat being one of them.

Personally, I wouldn't be *too* upset about TSB using part of my parody for one of his (though, like Pat and Jason, I'd probably ask it be deleted), but I would be quite irritated that he didn't bother to comment on the parody from which he got his material. As far as I can tell, he has commented on none of the numerous source parodies he's made into medleys.

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 4:16 pm

if any part of a song, even one sentence, is used without permission, then it is regarded as plaigarism.

That's entirely untrue. Plagiarism is claiming another's work as your own. TSB does no such thing. From what I can see, his "medleys" credit all of the authors and their works. If this went to court, which it won't (how litigious are you?), it probably would be determined to be fair use. Call it artless or uncreative or whatever, but it ain't plagiarism.

If TSB used any part of my parodies without asking me first, i'd be fuming indeed.

Clearly. You're fuming anyway. How does any of this hurt anyone? Adagio aside, authors may actually appreciate the additional exposure.

I wish to reiterate that if Fitu Petaia did these 'medleys', they would be removed faster than you can blink.

Why? Because you and C.J. Spindler and the other Fitu bashers would go freaking nuts?

I don't see the point of putting together pieces of other parodies and calling it a "medley," but I also don't see the point of spending two minutes rewriting the lyrics of a song and calling it a "parody." Why are you so hot and bothered about it?

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 4:22 pm

Heck, if TSB gets away with this, what's to stop the rest of us from copping part of a parody and calling it our own. 

That's not what TSB did. He credited all the works, did he not? If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: adagio on 01/28/07 at 4:36 pm

Ok...I'll take the bait... :)  Credited or not, that is a cheap and degrading way to 'write' a parody.
When I wrote that sentence I was thinking of how far up the parody ladder I would be if I did the same thing, whether I credited them or not. Then I thought, I would much rather write my own stuff (the lyrics I write are mine, Spaff) and see whether I was any good or, by just writing 'copped' lyrics (these are copped because I was not asked) I would be asking people to judge other's works.

I also don't see the point of spending two minutes rewriting the lyrics of a song and calling it a "parody."

Btw, I take quite a bit longer than two minutes to write a parody.  ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 01/28/07 at 4:40 pm

That's not what TSB did. He credited all the works, did he not? If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

xoxox
Spaff

Yes, he did credit the works. However, they are not mash-ups, but word for word repostings.

If somone submitted the following, I'm honestly curious as to what your reaction would be:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Various Songs" based on the performance of Various Artists

"Spaff Medley" by Author XXX

Opening comment: I hereby acknowledge that I've written none of these great parodies myself - they are all taken without permission from Spaff's works, verbatim.

" Booger Brickle Thumbtack Cluster Britney Spearmint Musty Pump
Melanoma Mucus Maple Nutty Bloody Rodent Stump
Toe Jam-ocha Nipple Ripple Prozac Praline Backwash Burp
Head & Shoulders Flakes-o-Plentee Rocky Mountain Oyster Slurp

I swear this is the last time I'll go boating with Odysseus
Titanic? Minnow? Edmund F.? His ship's by far the riskiest
He said Let's get some Trojans! so I left without apology
But now I find my sorry butt ensnared in Greek mythology

I used to be a master of the anti-gay crusade
Until a butch disaster blew my pastor masquerade
But if it's true I'm pounding more than pulpits, don't blame me
It's 'cause I caught my hooker-tweaker-stud's infirmity

and so on..."

Bottom comment: I borrowed 100% of my medley content from here, here and here (which are all copyright Spaff.com)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's no way I would never submit such a thing. Heck, I'm embarrased as all to butcher your masterpieces and post that here for demonstration purposes.

Written By: Jason on 01/28/07 at 4:42 pm

xoxox
Spaff

Yes you ARE missing something. He made no effort whatsoever to ask for permission to use parts of the other author's parodies, and he even didn't bother to make some sort of acknowledgement/credit in his comment section; not even a "Thank You" message was posted. And I stand by what I said earlier.

PS Sorry if im sounding like Michael Pacholek on a good day.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/28/07 at 4:46 pm

As I am headed to my weekly bowling obligation, I am not part of the medley, I would have appreciated being contacted if I were to be in one, but at the same time I'd be flattered that someone would include my work in a medley of parodies they considered great as long as they credited me.  I guess, yes, technically he should have contacted everyone, but I personally would not have been offended for the free exposure.

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 4:53 pm

Credited or not, that is a cheap and degrading way to 'write' a parody.

Degrading?

I was thinking of how far up the parody ladder I would be if I did the same thing, whether I credited them or not.

By "parody ladder," do you mean the list of who's written the most parodies? Does anyone care whether TSB's (or anyone else's) number of parodies is higher than their own? Honestly?

Btw, I take quite a bit longer than two minutes to write a parody.   ;)

I'm sure you do. But apparently others do not. If I thought the parody-quantity list were important, I could write a ton of two-minute "parodies" and move way up on the list. Why bother?

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 5:04 pm

Yes, he did credit the works. However, they are not mash-ups, but word for word repostings.

Correct. He didn't call it a mash-up.

If somone submitted the following, I'm honestly curious as to what your reaction would be:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Various Songs" based on the performance of Various Artists

"Spaff Medley" by Author XXX

Opening comment: I hereby acknowledge that I've written none of these great parodies myself - they are all taken without permission from Spaff's works, verbatim.

" Booger Brickle Thumbtack Cluster Britney Spearmint Musty Pump
Melanoma Mucus Maple Nutty Bloody Rodent Stump
Toe Jam-ocha Nipple Ripple Prozac Praline Backwash Burp
Head & Shoulders Flakes-o-Plentee Rocky Mountain Oyster Slurp

I swear this is the last time I'll go boating with Odysseus
Titanic? Minnow? Edmund F.? His ship's by far the riskiest
He said Let's get some Trojans! so I left without apology
But now I find my sorry butt ensnared in Greek mythology

I used to be a master of the anti-gay crusade
Until a butch disaster blew my pastor masquerade
But if it's true I'm pounding more than pulpits, don't blame me
It's 'cause I caught my hooker-tweaker-stud's infirmity

and so on..."

Bottom comment: I borrowed 100% of my medley content from here, here and here (which are all copyright Spaff.com)

I would call that the best freaking medley I'd ever seen. (Heh heh.) I've had my parodies reprinted in full or in part many times. As long as I'm credited, I'm honored.

masterpieces

Ooh! That word earns Parodayola! I'll send you a check.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Jason on 01/28/07 at 5:05 pm

I pretty sure that TSB concentrates on quantity more than quality.

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 5:16 pm

Yes you ARE missing something.

OK. What?

He made no effort whatsoever to ask for permission to use parts of the other author's parodies

That's polite, but not required.

he even didn't bother to make some sort of acknowledgement/credit in his comment section

Are we even talking about the same piece? I'm looking at http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/variousartists29.shtml and I see this:

>>
Medley of (original songs of parodies are in parentheses): "Live and Get High" by Max Power ("Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney & Wings), "I Don't Wanna Get Beat Up By Kevin (Eddy's Song)" by Jonathan ("Inside Your Heaven" by Carrie Underwood), "Black and Green: Ode to The Matrix" by BPrulz ("Black and White" by Static-X), "Newbie" by Joel Martinez ("Dreamer" by Ozzy Osbourne), "Dooms Day" by Hak-med ("Bad Day" by Daniel Powter), "I'm Going Down" by Rufus Torchwood ("You're Beautiful" by James Blunt), "My Brains Running Out" by Kristie ("Movin' Out" by Billy Joel), "Barber Shop" by Dani ("Candy Shop" by 50 Cent), "Playing in the Game Of (Ode to boxers)" by Ned Riley ("Killing in the Name Of" by Rage Against the Machine), "A'Blazing" by the_conqueror_of_parodies ("Amazing" by George Michael), "You've Really Lost Me" by Lionel Mertens ("You Really Got Me" by The Kinks), and "Go to Jail, Jack (Abramoff)" by Tommy Turtle " (Hit the Road, Jack" by Ray Charles)
<<

Sorry if im sounding like Michael Pacholek on a good day.

I'm sorry you're not.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: skittlesking on 01/28/07 at 8:02 pm

Spaff, it is very honorable for you to stick up for TSB.  I've already said my opinion, I think it's honorable and flattering to artists included.  I see not everyone agrees, but I wanted to commend you on sticking up for what you believe in.

Written By: jreuben on 01/28/07 at 8:24 pm

Okay, since I'm involved, I'll chime in.  I wouldn't have known this existed if Red Ant hadn't PM'ed me.  More than anything, I was surprised because I don't think I've ever interacted with TSB before.

I would have been angry if he took my lyrics and without giving me credit, but he did give me credit.  I can see the tribute/"best of" angle, although it surprises me a bit to be included from someone I don't know.  I would have liked to have been contacted about it beforehand, but I've come across entire songs of mine posted on the web on other sites and messageboards (with appropriate credit given), so this wasn't really something shocking and new to me either.  It's not an original work, so maybe it doesn't have a place on amiright.

Honestly, I don't have a strong opinion about this.  I'm not angry or upset about it, just surprised and curious. It's not negative, maybe I should take it that I have another fan that I didn't know about.  Maybe it's because it's one of my more obscure songs...

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 9:12 pm

Spaff, it is very honorable for you to stick up for TSB.  I've already said my opinion, I think it's honorable and flattering to artists included.  I see not everyone agrees, but I wanted to commend you on sticking up for what you believe in.

Thanks, Dave. I'm not necessarily supporting TSB's medleys or taking a gallant stand here, however. It's more just irritation. There are a couple of people who (under multiple pseudonyms) incessantly pick on certain other authors, and it's gotten really freaking old.

To the bashers: On a site for writers, plagiarism is about the worst thing you can accuse someone of, so if you don't even know WTF constitutes plagiarism, then don't level the charge. And instead of ranting about how terrible someone's work is, try improving your own. Seriously.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Red Ant on 01/28/07 at 10:09 pm

Thanks, Dave. I'm not necessarily supporting TSB's medleys or taking a gallant stand here, however. It's more just irritation. There are a couple of people who (under multiple pseudonyms) incessantly pick on certain other authors, and it's gotten really freaking old.

To the bashers: On a site for writers, plagiarism is about the worst thing you can accuse someone of, so if you don't even know WTF constitutes plagiarism, then don't level the charge. And instead of ranting about how terrible someone's work is, try improving your own. Seriously.

xoxox
Spaff

Spaff, though I think I know you better, I can't help but get the feeling that some of this comment is directed toward me. In this unlikely case that it is, I wanted to let you know that I have searched extensively for a concrete definition of plagiary, and much to my dismay, cannot seem to find one. Parodies seem to be an exception to everything, including copyright infringement, which is what many parodies I've called plagiaries in the past may have been.

Also, I have nothing against TSB, but I felt like the authors' works that were used in his parodies should know about it. I have nothing agaisnt Fitu Petaia either (see this thread), even though he has posted plagiaries before.

Indeed, plagiarism is a very serious accusation, probably the worst thing a writer can face. Believe me, I don't throw around the term lightly - perhaps incorrectly, but it seemed to fit when I read stuff like this (actual parody that was deleted):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day
"Wake Me Up When October Ends" by Author XYZ

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
wake me up when october ends

like my fathers come to pass
seven years has gone so fast

here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are

as my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost

summer has come and passed
the innocent can never last

ring out the bells again
like we did when spring began

falling from the stars
becoming who we are

as my memory rests

like my father's come to pass
twenty years has gone so fast

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No credit was given to Green Day for writing 99% of the song (simply listing "Green Day" as the performer isn't crediting IMO). Even if credit was given to avoid calls of plagiarism, I can't see how changing a single word makes this a parody.

I don't really wish to make problems with you, Spaff, but I also don't understand your viewpoint on this matter. I've a feeling that if I reposted something like "Shakespearian Pie" under my name, verbatim, even with all proper crediting to you, that you would be the only one who wouldn't slam me for being a thieving, worthless douchebag.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/28/07 at 10:45 pm

The TSB medley was just brought to my attention. I haven't gone through this whole thread, but my two cents are:

A reviewer may quote "passages" (not the entire work or a very substantial portion of it) from a book, movie, play, etc., with proper credit, without infringing. It would be pretty hard to review anything otherwise lol.

I personally would be generous and consider TSB's "medley" a review, so to speak, of some works submitted in that month that he considered worth quoting. He stated openly at the top that it was such a compilation, then specifically credited the original parody and the author at the bottom.  This may or may not meet the artistic standards of this site in not being a "parody" per se, but that is a content judgment for the Webmaster to make. I don't believe it constitutes willful copyright infringement.

TSB did not obtain my permission, but so long as he did not use a "substantial' portion of my work, and gave me credit, I do not feel infringed. I am much more concerned about the indication that my parody,  "Brokenback Mountain" was recorded and played on a radio station, presumably a commercial one. Haven't had time to run it down yet.

I take a position similar to my brief-glance reading of Spaff's opinion: Someone who reads TSB's thing might be intrigued enough by my snippet to go read my parody, and that's a good thing. As a vaguely distant relative of mine, P. T. Barnum (of Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus) once said, "I don't care what they say about me, just make sure they spell my name right!"

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 11:09 pm

I can't help but get the feeling that some of this comment is directed toward me.

It's not. In fact, I see that you posted a topic today chastising the Fitu bashers. Amen to that. If Fitu or anyone else posts someone else's work as their own, then they should be criticized for it and the plagiary should be deleted. If, on the other hand, they post a parody you simply don't like, then say you don't like it and leave it at that. Or, better yet, just ignore it.

I have searched extensively for a concrete definition of plagiary, and much to my dismay, cannot seem to find one.

Here's a concise one from Answers.com:
"Plagiarism:
Using ideas, plots, text and other intellectual property developed by someone else while claiming it is your original work."

"Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day
"Wake Me Up When October Ends" by Author XYZ

like my fathers come to pass
seven years has gone so fast
wake me up when octoberends

falling from the stars
becoming who we are

as my memory rests

summer has come and passed
the innocent can never last

ring out the bells again
like we did when spring began

falling from the stars
becoming who we are

as my memory rests

like my father's come to pass
twenty years has gone so fast

That's plagiarism. I know it gets tricky with parody, because parody by definition incorporates elements of the original work, but any reasonable person would agree with you: changing a couple of words of an original work is not the same as parodying it. If author XYZ is claiming to have written these lyrics, that's plagiarism, because they were actually written by Billie Joe Armstrong.

I also don't understand your viewpoint on this matter.

Please let me know what else I can clarify.

I've a feeling that if I reposted something like "Shakespearian Pie" under my name, verbatim, even with all proper crediting to you, that you would be the only one who wouldn't slam me for being a thieving, worthless douchebag.

Like Jeff and many others, I've had my stuff reposted elsewhere. If you credit me, I'm OK with it. If, on the other hand, you're claiming the work as your own, then it's plagiarism and you're a thieving, worthless douchebag.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 11:13 pm

The TSB medley was just brought to my attention. I haven't gone through this whole thread, but my two cents are:

A reviewer may quote "passages" (not the entire work or a very substantial portion of it) from a book, movie, play, etc., with proper credit, without infringing. It would be pretty hard to review anything otherwise lol.

I personally would be generous and consider TSB's "medley" a review, so to speak, of some works submitted in that month that he considered worth quoting. He stated openly at the top that it was such a compilation, then specifically credited the original parody and the author at the bottom.  This may or may not meet the artistic standards of this site in not being a "parody" per se, but that is a content judgment for the Webmaster to make. I don't believe it constitutes willful copyright infringement.

TSB did not obtain my permission, but so long as he did not use a "substantial' portion of my work, and gave me credit, I do not feel infringed. I am much more concerned about the indication that my parody,  "Brokenback Mountain" was recorded and played on a radio station, presumably a commercial one. Haven't had time to run it down yet.

I take a position similar to my brief-glance reading of Spaff's opinion: Someone who reads TSB's thing might be intrigued enough by my snippet to go read my parody, and that's a good thing. As a vaguely distant relative of mine, P. T. Barnum (of Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus) once said, "I don't care what they say about me, just make sure they spell my name right!"

I agree 100%. In fact, I think I'll post this comment as my own.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Arwen on 01/29/07 at 12:21 am

Holy Moly.  I, like Jeff, got a PM alerting me to this whole thing...and it's taken me two different log-in sessions just to get through the conversation.  Now I'm tired.  Dammit.

Anyway, I, like Jeff, don't really have a strong opinion about this at all...which kind of surprises and saddens me, because I came over ready to be fiesty as all hell.  :)  Anyway...I really feel like everything has been said by one person or another, but my two cents is this: 

Had the "parody" been listed as TSB's original work, I probably would have thrown a tantrum.  A massive, profanity filled to the point of being worthy of thread removal, tantrum.  But, since it wasn't...and since he chose me, fabulous me, as one of the many authors to showcase in his little deal...I'm holding back my tantrums for other, yet to be determined, fights.

In short...it's not something I would have done...and maybe it doesn't belong on the site as a "parody," but really...it doesn't bother me at all.

:)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/29/07 at 12:28 am

psst, TSB, next time you want some stuff to include in your medleys, please have a look through these

Written By: Red Ant on 01/29/07 at 12:35 am

Please let me know what else I can clarify.

Okay, I suppose I am caught up by the word "claim". IMO, an author putting his/her name to a work is claiming its contents to some extent. TSB cannot really claim those medleys as his since he didn't write them, regardless of citations, permissions, etc. He is not the author of those works.

There is another component of plagiarism: theft. It's like this: if you ask if you can borrow my paint gun to paint your car, I'll be happy to lend it to you. If you take it from my garage without permission, the result is theft, and it is mostly irrelavant if I am impressed with how awesome your custom paint job looks.

That analogy may not have any legs to stand on in the parody world, but I think it's a fair comparison to what was done by TSB.

I suppose since TSB did something good with all the works that he borrowed (with proper notation) that is the reason no one seems to be too concerned about it.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/29/07 at 12:42 am

As a vaguely distant relative of mine, P. T. Barnacle (of RockLing Bros. Barnacle & Whaley Circus)........etc, etc.

sorry for the corrections TT - but I couldn't just stand by and see you waste opportunities like that

Written By: Jason on 01/29/07 at 4:08 am

While we are on the subject of TSB here, i wonder why he submits so many parodies, yet they very rarely get voted or commented on. I always wonder how long TSB spends writing parodies.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/29/07 at 12:27 pm

I agree 100%. In fact, I think I'll post this comment as my own.

xoxox
Spaff

Then you are a thieving, worthless douchebag!  :D

There is another component of plagiarism: theft. It's like this: if you ask if you can borrow my paint gun to paint your car, I'll be happy to lend it to you. If you take it from my garage without permission, the result is theft, and it is mostly irrelavant if I am impressed with how awesome your custom paint job looks.

That analogy may not have any legs to stand on in the parody world, but I think it's a fair comparison to what was done by TSB.

IMHO, it's not a good analogy for plagiarism at all. First, the def of plagiarism (and let's all learn to spell it lol): "Plagiarism is the practice of claiming, or implying, original authorship, or incorporating material from someone else's written or creative work in whole or in part, into ones own, without adequate acknowledgment. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism. (Note that since Wikipedia was quoted directly, they were given credit for the quote. They license their work under GNU - General Non-Commercial Use -- but I still wouldn't quote them directly and claim it was my own writing.)

"without adequate acknowledgment. " TSB complied excellently.
If TSB puts up photos of your car and says, "Look what awesome paint jobs Red Ant does", how does that hurt you?
If he puts up photos of your car and says, "Look what great paint jobs I do", attempting to claim your work (your paint job) as his own, then he is attempting to enhance his reputation (and possible profits) at the expense of your own.

There is a personal angle here, as a certain Turtle has almost a niche of doing "tribute" parodies (never "attack parodies", of course  ;). For example, "Pat Adagio's Cream. There are numerous references to her own works, with some being close quotes, e.g. "Though she smashes antiques, falls down stairs, and trips over a cord", a direct reference and near-quote from
"Fall Down (Accident Prone)". BUT: She is credited by hyperlink to each of her parodies that was referenced or quoted, so those phrases are not plagiarism -- they are not claimed as my own.

No author who has been TTribuTTed in this fashion has ever objected. Most seem quite happy at having their works cited and quoted. I know I would be  :)

The other issue, though, is that those brief passages of hers were augmented with considerable original writing of mine, to make a new parody (tribute). TSB didn't add any original content, so although he didn't plagiarize others' works by claiming that their words were his own, he did little more than say, "Here's a sample of the best parodies of this month." That suits me quite well, to be included in this recognition -- as Stuart said, people can give my work all the recognition they care to -- but if the Webmaster decides that such reviews/samples/medleys/whatever do not meet the criteria for his site, then that is his absolute discretion as the site owner. But it isn't plagiarism, it isn't copyright infringement, and I'm happy to have my work receive publicity, so long as it's acknowledged to be my work and so long as no one is making money off it without coughing up my share of the seaweed. (That last term was for you, Stu!  ;D)

Written By: Red Ant on 01/29/07 at 2:53 pm

If TSB puts up photos of your car and says, "Look what awesome paint jobs Red Ant does", how does that hurt you?
If he puts up photos of your car and says, "Look what great paint jobs I do", attempting to claim your work (your paint job) as his own, then he is attempting to enhance his reputation (and possible profits) at the expense of your own.

No offense TT, but that isn't quite accurate. If I post photos (that I took myself) of my car on the 'net, they are mine. What TSB basically did was take those photos, repost them, and then say "Look what awesome paint jobs Red Ant does". As has been established, he isn't claiming to have snapped the pictures himself, and provided sources for said photos, but nevertheless permission was not obtained before reposting them.

I believe that all of the parodies used in the medleys had, by default, copyright protection as soon as they were posted on AmiRight. Now, if TSB had made a parody of those parodies, there would be no issue. However, he did not do so - they are simply reposted verbatim. Parodies are not fair use - the source material is, even with a copyright. If a parody is the source material (such as a WAY song), then a parody has to be made of that. Simply reposting a subtantial amount of lyrics that someone else (or elses as the case is here) wrote, whether belonging to an OS or a parody, is not a parody, and is not allowed by the site guidelines either:

"Only submit songs YOU PERSONALLY HAVE WRITTEN.
I don't want to copy songs from people without their knowledge. People seem to be a little unclear on this concept, since I end up removing about two or three parodies every week. IF YOU DIDN'T WRITE THE SONG YOURSELF, DON'T SUBMIT IT."

There's also this at the bottom of the latest comments:

"Disclaimer: Unless stated otherwise, all comments express the viewpoint of the original author. Opinions are not necessarily those of amIright or it's related websites. Please obtain permission from the original author before printing or reposting."

My guess is that disclaimer exists, oh, I dunno, maybe for a legitimate legal reason?

I'd like you to take a look at this article:

http://www.publaw.com/parody.html

but if the Webmaster decides that such reviews/samples/medleys/whatever do not meet the criteria for his site, then that is his absolute discretion as the site owner. But it isn't plagiarism, it isn't copyright infringement, and I'm happy to have my work receive publicity, so long as it's acknowledged to be my work and so long as no one is making money off it without coughing up my share of the seaweed. (That last term was for you, Stu!  ;D)

It's interesting you mention the money aspect. Since most (perhaps all) of us aren't making any money from these parodies, that's why we let this slide?

Suppose for a moment that TSB's medley became a hit tomorrow and earned him a million bucks. Would that change your view on the issue?

Or say he prefaced his medley by saying "These are the worst parodies that were submitted to the site in January 200X". Would everyone be so neutral on the issue then? After all, he did properly credit everyone, and that's all that matters, yes?

I'm willing to admit that I may be completely off base and that you are correct. Assuming for a moment that is the case, are you telling me that Adagio has no ground to stand on for asking that TSB's medley, that included her work, be removed?

It's been fun and informative discussing this, so please don't take anything I've typed as a jab at you.

Jack

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/07 at 3:05 pm

I think I'm going to remove the medley "parodies".

The best excuse I can see for leaving them, is they are like "a best of the month" collection or something.  That however isn't what the parody section of the site is for.  It's for original parodies people have compiled.  While it may be an interesting use of what's in place, I think it's a distraction. 

It's also clear some people don't appreciate part of their work being used without permission. 

If TSB wants to do something like this, he should be doing it on the messageboard, and only once he's gotten permission from everyone whose work he wants to use.

Written By: Jason on 01/29/07 at 4:48 pm

Thanks ChuckyG.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/29/07 at 6:25 pm

While we are on the subject of TSB here, i wonder why he submits so many parodies, yet they very rarely get voted or commented on. I always wonder how long TSB spends writing parodies.

He doesn't vote on other's parodies(as far as I know), so he usually gets very few votes.

Written By: adagio on 01/29/07 at 6:38 pm

Thanks Chucky!

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/29/07 at 7:55 pm

No offense TT, but that isn't quite accurate. If I post photos (that I took myself) of my car on the 'net, they are mine. What TSB basically did was take those photos, repost them, and then say "Look what awesome paint jobs Red Ant does". As has been established, he isn't claiming to have snapped the pictures himself, and provided sources for said photos, but nevertheless permission was not obtained before reposting them.

I realized after posting that my analogy should have been clarified. Also, that three separate issues are being discussed here, and sometimes overlapping (being confused):
1) Plagiarism
2) Copyright infringement
3) Site guidelines and the wishes of the site owner.

To clarify my analogy: I was referring to pics that TSB took, not to your own pics (which are copyrighted like anything else you create). If someone breaks into your garage to take the pics, then they are a burglarizing, worthless douchebag. However, if you enter your car in the Custom Paint Job Auto Show in the Sonic Drive-In Parking Lot, then anyone can take a pic of it, because you have voluntarily chosen to place it on public display. They can't, however, claim that they did the paint job.

When you publish ("make public") your works on the Internet, you have voluntarily chosen to display them to everyone in the world, who is then free to comment as she wishes, and to quote "small portions" (as per your article) in their comments, reviews, etc. Of course, they can't claim that they wrote the words that you wrote.

Having posted, you cannot legally stop anyone from saying, writing, or posting (at their own site or a site which permits them to),

"Hey! Red Ant wrote a great parody of "Tomorrow", about the Valkyries conquering China and making a new nation called 'Va-China'. TMGLTM, but my faves were:

'Let's go further in!
Va-China!
To the Steffi Grafenberg'

"You can find his parody at http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/anniesoundtrack2.shtml".
Of course, if you could stop them, why on earth would you want to?
On the other hand, you can't stop them from saying,

"Red Ant, of www.amiright.com, wrote an insulting, inane, indecent parody of "Tomorrow" called "Va-China". An example of his inane indecency is:

'Let's go further in!
Va-China!

"I think his parody is a terrible insult to the original."
Or say he prefaced his medley by saying "These are the worst parodies that were submitted to the site in January 200X". Would everyone be so neutral on the issue then? After all, he did properly credit everyone, and that's all that matters, yes?
Yes.

If these possibilities are not acceptable to you, then you should not post your works in public for people to appreciate or censure. (This does not negate the right of the admin to deem a comment inappropriate. More on that later.)

In either case, the reviewer has used small portions of your work and given proper attribution (credit or blame, as the case may be). No plagiarism here: the reviewer did not claim that your words were his creation.
I haven't read all of the original parodies quoted by TSB ("original parodies" -- is that an oxymoron? ;) ), but it appears that he did not use "substantial portions" of any one of them. He definitely did not claim that he wrote the words quoted. No plagiarism here.

I believe that all of the parodies used in the medleys had, by default, copyright protection as soon as they were posted on AmiRight.

Everything that anyone ever creates has automatic copyright protection as soon as they set it on paper (or Web or whatever).

It's interesting you mention the money aspect. Since most (perhaps all) of us aren't making any money from these parodies, that's why we let this slide?

It has a lot to do with it. The article you cited included among the criteria for copyright infringement whether the new use was commercial or non-commercial, such as educational, etc. TSB's presumably non-commercial use helped inform the public of other parodies in which they might be interested but might not have found on their own.
Suppose for a moment that TSB's medley became a hit tomorrow and earned him a million bucks. Would that change your view on the issue?
You'd better believe it. Now, he is making "commercial use", while adding little/no original material, and each of us who "contributed" to his profits is entitled to a share.
However, if you publish "Red Ant's Critique of Parody", which contains detailed and exhaustive analysis and criticism of my works, quoting reasonable sections of them to illustrate your criticism, you can make a million and not owe me a penny. You're selling your opinions, not my work. If this sounds far out, look how many books are written analyzing Shakespeare's work. OK, Shake is in the public domain now, but books about any modern author, composer, musician, etc. would be allowed the same way.

Look at your own "One Weak Chord (And They Sued Ya!)", and the discussion of the lawsuit against George Harrison. Regardless of whether one agrees with the Court's findings, the Court found that:

1) Harrison "substantially copied" the melody of "He's So Fine", written by Ronald Mack and performed by the Chiffons, but claimed the music as his own (plagiarism), and
2) Harrison published and sold the result without the permission of the copyright owner (copyright infringement, even if he had acknowledged the ownership of the OM - Original Melody).

Harrison was ordered to pay a huge portion of MSL's royalties to the copyright owner of HSF.

To avoid this, Harrison would have had to have made prior arrangement with Bright Tunes Music Corp., owner of "HSF". Such arrangement would normally involve sharing the royalties, and "MSL" records and CDs would look like this:

Performed by George Harrison
Lyrics by George Harrison
Music by Ronald Mack, c 1963. Used by permission of Bright Tunes Music Corp.

Please obtain permission from the original author before printing or reposting."

My guess is that disclaimer exists, oh, I dunno, maybe for a legitimate legal reason?

Very much so. But the legal reason refers to someone printing or reposting the original parody, or a "substantial portion" thereof, outside of the "fair use" excerpts allowed (and yes, just how much of the original can be quoted is unclear and a very thorny issue for the Courts, as your cited article notes). My original parody that TSB excerpted had two full verses, some partial verses/lines, an outtro, and one chorus (back in the n00b days when I didn't vary the choruses). TSB quoted only the chorus, which doesn't seem a very "substantial" portion of the parody.

is not allowed by the site guidelines either:

Now we get to Issue #3, and that's a completely different kettle of fish from plagiarism or copyright protection. In fact, the site owner has spoken (above) and his word is final and indisputable.  It's his site, and if he decides that the medleys do not meet his criteria, he can reject or delete them without even explaining his reasons, although IMHO his reasons are very reasonable.

Before someone raises "free speech" issues, of which I am an absolute advocate: You have a right of free speech, but not the right to force someone else to publish your free speech at their expense. Go pay the money and do the work to host your own website, and then you can say anything you wish (that doesn't plagiarize, infringe, libel, etc.)

It isn't always easy to separate these three issues, nor to separate the issues from our personal feelings towards the individual involved. Surely we have a right to grant permissions and favors to those we like, and to deny them to those we dislike. But the medley in question, IMHO,

Doesn't violate (1) or (2) - plagiarism or infringement
Has been found to violate (3) - the standards of the owner of the publication site, and so it is justly removed.

I've enjoyed this discussion as well, and the principles are important to us. Never taken personally, so long as the critiques are of the ideas and writings and not of the person - a fallacy known to logicians as the "ad hominem" attack: attacking the person instead of his ideas, writings, etc. IMHO, TSB deserves the same courtesy, as do we all. His writings (not he himself) were found inconsistent with the site's guidelines,  and so they go.

Tommy

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/29/07 at 8:51 pm

What Tommy Turtle said.

Thank you, Tommy. You said everything I was thinking. Plus more. Plus better. Plus you actually said it.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Red Ant on 01/29/07 at 9:53 pm

I realized after posting that my analogy should have been clarified. Also, that three separate issues are being discussed here, and sometimes overlapping (being confused):
1) Plagiarism
2) Copyright infringement
3) Site guidelines and the wishes of the site owner.

Indeed, this has gotten quite messy with the different topics being discussed. I think by now it has been established the works in question are not plagiarisms. Copyright infringement is still questionable to me. ChuckyG has spoken, which takes care of #3.

To clarify my analogy: I was referring to pics that TSB took, not to your own pics (which are copyrighted like anything else you create). If someone breaks into your garage to take the pics, then they are a burglarizing, worthless douchebag. However, if you enter your car in the Custom Paint Job Auto Show in the Sonic Drive-In Parking Lot, then anyone can take a pic of it, because you have voluntarily chosen to place it on public display. They can't, however, claim that they did the paint job.

Yes, you are correct that anyone can take a picture of a car I enter into show or competition XYZ. However, I feel my analogy is not being understood here. If I take the pictures of my car, which you have acknowledged as copyrighted, and another reposts those pictures without permission, that person has violated my copyright of said pictures. TSB did not take pictures of the car at the hypothetical auto show, he reposted pictures that were already the property of others.

When you publish ("make public") your works on the Internet, you have voluntarily chosen to display them to everyone in the world, who is then free to comment as she wishes, and to quote "small portions" (as per your article) in their comments, reviews, etc. Of course, they can't claim that they wrote the words that you wrote.

Having posted, you cannot legally stop anyone from saying, writing, or posting (at their own site or a site which permits them to),

"Hey! Red Ant wrote a great parody of "Tomorrow", about the Valkyries conquering China and making a new nation called 'Va-China'. TMGLTM, but my faves were:

'Let's go further in!
Va-China!

"You can find his parody at http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/anniesoundtrack2.shtml".
Of course, if you could stop them, why on earth would you want to?

I see your point here, TT. No, I wouldn't stop them, nor would I want to, because they are crediting me, and not using too much of the parody. Furthermore, and most importantly, they aren't putting their name on lyrics I wrote. Even if a commentor quoted back my entire parody as their "favorite lines", it still isn't under his name.

However, using a third of my lyrics under you author name is not what I would call a "small portion" of my work. Ideas, titles and thoughts have no copyright protection. But I'd say using a 1/3 of another author's work qualifies as a "substantial portion".

TSB's "January medleys" were under his name. To me, that implies some authorship was involved in writing the lyrics, when in fact it wasn't.

On the other hand, you can't stop them from saying,

"Red Ant, of www.amiright.com, wrote an insulting, inane, indecent parody of "Tomorrow" called "Va-China". An example of his inane indecency is:

'Let's go further in!
Va-China!

"I think his parody is a terrible insult to the original."

If these possibilities are not acceptable to you, then you should not post your works in public for people to appreciate or censure. (This does not negate the right of the admin to deem a comment inappropriate. More on that later.)

No, I can't, nor would I want to. Honest comments are all that I have ever asked for, and that includes feedback from the people who will invariably hate my parodies. Criticism comes with the territory of writing and posting on an open forum, and I can handle anything negative that comes my way.

As I am part of the "admin" you mention, I need to say I have never deleted a comment that was not inappropriate. I have consulted ChuckyG quite a bit on this matter to ensure I'm following what he wishes for his site. If someone leaves a comment, under one of my parodies, like "This parody is offensive and in extremely poor taste. 111" it stays, because though I probably don't agree with the poster, it is not inappropriate. Now, if someone says (to anyone) "You suck ass, you f***ing retard. Please go kill yourself." I've every right to delete it for being profane.

In either case, the reviewer has used small portions of your work and given proper attribution (credit or blame, as the case may be). No plagiarism here: the reviewer did not claim that your words were his creation.
I haven't read all of the original parodies quoted by TSB ("original parodies" -- is that an oxymoron? ;) ), but it appears that he did not use "substantial portions" of any one of them. He definitely did not claim that he wrote the words quoted. No plagiarism here.

Everything that anyone ever creates has automatic copyright protection as soon as they set it on paper (or Web or whatever).
It has a lot to do with it. The article you cited included among the criteria for copyright infringement whether the new use was commercial or non-commercial, such as educational, etc. TSB's presumably non-commercial use helped inform the public of other parodies in which they might be interested but might not have found on their own.You'd better believe it. Now, he is making "commercial use", while adding little/no original material, and each of us who "contributed" to his profits is entitled to a share.
However, if you publish "Red Ant's Critique of Parody", which contains detailed and exhaustive analysis and criticism of my works, quoting reasonable sections of them to illustrate your criticism, you can make a million and not owe me a penny. You're selling your opinions, not my work. If this sounds far out, look how many books are written analyzing Shakespeare's work. OK, Shake is in the public domain now, but books about any modern author, composer, musician, etc. would be allowed the same way.

Yes, you are correct that if I were to parody your works you would have no recourse (other than perhaps a 111 vote or 290;)) But, the key word here is "parody". I maintain that the medleys in question are not parodies, and thus are afforded no protections whatsoever.

Look at your own "One Weak Chord (And They Sued Ya!)", and the discussion of the lawsuit against George Harrison. Regardless of whether one agrees with the Court's findings, the Court found that:

1) Harrison "substantially copied" the melody of "He's So Fine", written by Ronald Mack and performed by the Chiffons, but claimed the music as his own (plagiarism), and
2) Harrison published and sold the result without the permission of the copyright owner (copyright infringement, even if he had acknowledged the ownership of the OM - Original Melody).

Harrison was ordered to pay a huge portion of MSL's royalties to the copyright owner of HSF.

To avoid this, Harrison would have had to have made prior arrangement with Bright Tunes Music Corp., owner of "HSF". Such arrangement would normally involve sharing the royalties, and "MSL" records and CDs would look like this:

Performed by George Harrison
Lyrics by George Harrison
Music by Ronald Mack, c 1963. Used by permission of Bright Tunes Music Corp.

Yes, I reread that parody, including my own comment:

"There are a few cases where a previous song is directly sampled for a new one; in those cases the artist(s) doing the sampling knows very well that what they are creating is not wholly theirs; that said, a small, one-time payment to the original artist and crediting is all that should be allowed."

I can't say I completely agree with the view I had some 11 months ago, and I certainly do not expect TSB to pay anyone for works he used in creating his medleys.

But I need to say that your comment of:

"2) Harrison published and sold the result without the permission of the copyright owner (copyright infringement, even if he had acknowledged the ownership of the OM - Original Melody)."

Reinforces my views in this case. Again, TSB isn't a plagiarist, but how is his using verses and choruses of  parodies not his not copyright infringement? I suppose it boils down to legal mumbo-jumbo or personal views as to what is considered "substantial".

Very much so. But the legal reason refers to someone printing or reposting the original parody, or a "substantial portion" thereof, outside of the "fair use" excerpts allowed (and yes, just how much of the original can be quoted is unclear and a very thorny issue for the Courts, as your cited article notes). My original parody that TSB excerpted had two full verses, some partial verses/lines, an outtro, and one chorus (back in the n00b days when I didn't vary the choruses). TSB quoted only the chorus, which doesn't seem a very "substantial" portion of the parody.

Yes, yours wasn't borrowed from much, but Max Power's parody had an entire verse lifted from it. Considering that parody has just 2 verses and a short chorus, wouldn't 33+% of a parody qualify as "substantial"?

Now we get to Issue #3, and that's a completely different kettle of fish from plagiarism or copyright protection. In fact, the site owner has spoken (above) and his word is final and indisputable.  It's his site, and if he decides that the medleys do not meet his criteria, he can reject or delete them without even explaining his reasons, although IMHO his reasons are very reasonable.

I stand by ChuckyG's decisions, regardless of if they are inline with my owns views. I have to ask you again though, does Adagio have a leg to stand on in asking that TSB's medley, which included her work, be removed from the site?

Before someone raises "free speech" issues, of which I am an absolute advocate: You have a right of free speech, but not the right to force someone else to publish your free speech at their expense. Go pay the money and do the work to host your own website, and then you can say anything you wish (that doesn't plagiarize, infringe, libel, etc.)

No one here is going to raise free speech issues with you, TT. As an editor, I have to reject things more often than I like due to them not conforming in the least to site guidelines. Editorial control is a different animal than censorship. There are a ton of things which I do not allow (spam being the major one), but I never suppress an opinion with which I don't agree. I'm getting off topic here...

I've enjoyed this discussion as well, and the principles are important to us. Never taken personally, so long as the critiques are of the ideas and writings and not of the person - a fallacy known to logicians as the "ad hominem" attack: attacking the person instead of his ideas, writings, etc. IMHO, TSB deserves the same courtesy, as do we all. His writings (not he himself) were found inconsistent with the site's guidelines,  and so they go.

Tommy

As have I.  :)

FTR, I take no pleasure in seeing TSB's medleys removed from the site.

Written By: PRobinson on 01/30/07 at 1:04 am

Okay, I suppose I am caught up by the word "claim". IMO, an author putting his/her name to a work is claiming its contents to some extent. TSB cannot really claim those medleys as his since he didn't write them, regardless of citations, permissions, etc. He is not the author of those works.

I suppose since TSB did something good with all the works that he borrowed (with proper notation) that is the reason no one seems to be too concerned about it.

Red,  Can I have your paint gun?  I'd ask if I could borrow it, but I've really no intention of ever giving it back...so that would be dishonest. 

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...I, like the esteemed & beloved and highly chased-after-only-to-be-dumped by Arwen have no particularly opinion or axe to grind here.  The aforementioned TSB didn't see fit to use (or "steal", depending on your take of the subject) any parts from my junk...er...I meant, "incredibly hilarious" works.  But I love reading all the deeply philosophical and trenchant comments, remarks and opinions of all of the wonderful writers this topic has managed to envelop.

As you can probably tell, I just got a new dictionary and decided to take it out for a little spin tonight...

P Robinson

Written By: PRobinson on 01/30/07 at 1:21 am

Holy Moly.  I, like Jeff, got a PM alerting me to this whole thing...and it's taken me two different log-in sessions just to get through the conversation.  Now I'm tired.  Dammit.

Anyway, I, like Jeff, don't really have a strong opinion about this at all...which kind of surprises and saddens me, because I came over ready to be fiesty as all hell.   :)  Anyway...I really feel like everything has been said by one person or another, but my two cents is this: 

Had the "parody" been listed as TSB's original work, I probably would have thrown a tantrum.  A massive, profanity filled to the point of being worthy of thread removal, tantrum.  But, since it wasn't...and since he chose me, fabulous me, as one of the many authors to showcase in his little deal...I'm holding back my tantrums for other, yet to be determined, fights.

In short...it's not something I would have done...and maybe it doesn't belong on the site as a "parody," but really...it doesn't bother me at all.

:)

Hey, Arwen - long time, no flirt...lol...

I mentioned yah in my comment a few minutes ago...feelin' spunky tonight - guess three straight 60-hour + work weeks can do that somehow.

Think I'm killing what's left of this thread by going so far off-topic, and so I apologize to anyone who wanted to keep it rolling ad infinitum...I thought it was pretty interesting for the most part, but I think it's been pretty well aired-out at this point.  Seriously, if only for a brief moment, I can't think of anyone who would like to be wholly ripped-off in an uncredited manner...but after that I don't think you are going to see any firm position or stance that everyone subscribes to - for me it would depend on the "how" my stuff was used and how I was mentioned or credited. 

Hey, holy sh*t!  I DID have some sort of opinion on this, after all...

So sue me...

;)

P Robinson

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/30/07 at 3:03 am

everything Tommy Turtle said

- Tommy

wow - back with a vengeance, TT! :o

a thoroughly enjoyable debate that was.  I can understand all Jack's points, and although I don't disagree with you Jack, I must say I'm firmly with TT on this one

and now TT, would you mind paddling back out to sea for a bit? >:(

because one of the 2 "Big 7 Parodies" that I haven't yet done is "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" (the other being Blinded BTL) and I finally got inspired last year with the title "Phenomenon called Tommy Turtle" after your brief whirlwind visit to our sleepy hollow

but now that you're back, all my best lines are gone!! :\'(

(good to see you back mate ;))

Written By: Jason on 01/30/07 at 4:30 am

I agree with the 'paint gun' theory from Red Ant

If someone asked to borrow a CD of mine to audition it so they can buy their own copy, I normally wouldn't have a problem with that.

However if someone broke into my house and took the CD without asking, that is stealing. It doesn't matter if the thief says 'how brilliant the CD is'

Here this is exactly what TSB is doing, stealing without asking.

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/30/07 at 8:45 am

Here this is exactly what TSB is doing, stealing without asking.

The point a couple of us have been trying to make here, Jason, is that legally, what TSB did is considered Fair Use, not stealing. I highly recommend going back through this thread and reading Tommy Turtle's excellent posts on the subject.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: jreuben on 01/30/07 at 9:07 am

Here's another example to think about, which has happened in the past.

Let's say you wake up tomorrow morning, and find that someone made a recording of one of your songs, and posted it on the front page.  They give you full credit for writing the song, but did not ask your permission to do it.  Are you angry that someone "stole" your song, or happy/honored that you get to hear someone else's version of it?  This has happened here at least twice...once someone posted a very good recording of a Claude Prez song, posted as sung by "Claude Prez Fan" or something similar.  The second was a medley of many authors 

Personally, as long as the quality was at a certain level, I'd be happy/honored.  And if I was recording someone else's song, I'd get their permission beforehand, or at least play it for them before submitting it anywhere (unless I knew that person very well), but that's just me.

Some people like more control over how their songs are used, and that's fine.

Written By: adagio on 01/30/07 at 12:56 pm

Jeff. I think it depends entirely on the circumstances, whether it's a parody you favor or the person singing it, etc.,just whether you feel 'took' or not.

Written By: Jason on 01/30/07 at 4:48 pm

The point a couple of us have been trying to make here, Jason, is that legally, what TSB did is considered Fair Use, not stealing. I highly recommend going back through this thread and reading Tommy Turtle's excellent posts on the subject.

xoxox
Spaff

I have to disagree with you Spaff.com,

With reference to my other comment regarding "borrowing the CD", if a thief broke in, stole the CD, then gave it back and repaired the smashed lock on my front door, would that be regarded as 'fair use'? No i don't think so. If no permission is sought, then its regarded as theft in my book.

Written By: jreuben on 01/30/07 at 6:17 pm

I have to disagree with you Spaff.com,

With reference to my other comment regarding "borrowing the CD", if a thief broke in, stole the CD, then gave it back and repaired the smashed lock on my front door, would that be regarded as 'fair use'? No i don't think so. If no permission is sought, then its regarded as theft in my book.

But in this case, the CD was never missing from the house, none of us ever lost use of our parodies for any period of time.  No smashed locks either.  It's more like someone found the CD in a public place and made a copy of it.

Now the karaoke CD on Ebay with Johnny D, Malcolm and Stu's song and others, with no reference to the original authors...where the person will actually make money selling the CD:  that's theft.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/30/07 at 6:32 pm

What Tommy Turtle said.
Thank you, Tommy. You said everything I was thinking. Plus more. Plus better. Plus you actually said it.
xoxox
Spaff

Always glad to be of service!

because one of the 2 "Big 7 Parodies" that I haven't yet done is "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" (the other being Blinded BTL) and I finally got inspired last year with the title "Phenomenon called Tommy Turtle" after your brief whirlwind visit to our sleepy hollow

but now that you're back, all my best lines are gone!! :\'(

(good to see you back mate ;))

Stuart, you've been missed badly as well. I was really hoping for your comments specifically on a couple of the songs I've posted in the past month, as I thought they might be on our common (strange) wavelength. Can pm you the specific titles if you like.

Go ahead with the Fitz -- we'll pretend I'm not here, and work has gotten so busy with the holidays over that I seem not to be posting or reading again. Lots of ideas (including a tribute to yourself that faded 'cuz you disappeared), but no time to execute them. Please, pm me if/when you post E. Fitzgerald! -- I get pm notices by email, even if I'm not on AIR or 00s.

With reference to my other comment regarding "borrowing the CD", if a thief broke in, stole the CD, then gave it back and repaired the smashed lock on my front door, would that be regarded as 'fair use'?

TSB didn't break into your house and steal your paper with your song on it, and he didn't hack into your computer and steal your soft copy. You posted it on the very public Internet, so that analogy doesn't hold.

If no permission is sought, then its regarded as theft in my book.

Jason, I understand how you feel, but unfortunately, it isn't your book that counts, it's the books of the US Congress and the Berne Convention (on international copyright law) that count, and the law provides certain exceptions called "Fair Use", even if the author (yourself) doesn't approve of the law or the use.

Everybody: Whether I like or agree with what TSB did does not affect whether he had the legal right to do it.

TSB did not take pictures of the car at the hypothetical auto show, he reposted pictures that were already the property of others.

To continue that analogy, if he re-posted a "small portion" of a pic that you posted, and said, "Here is part of a great pic that Red Ant took. You can see the rest here", that might be ok, depending on what portion of it he posted and whether he was just giving you free publicity or was making commercial use of it himself.

TSB's "January medleys" were under his name. To me, that implies some authorship was involved in writing the lyrics, when in fact it wasn't.

In order to review, analyze, and discuss TSB's work, I am about to reprint a small excerpt of
"January Medley 2006" Parody by Tokusou Sentai Blessranger . Am I infringing his copyright by so doing?

"Medley of songs that are submitted to AmIRight on January 2006.

Your most recent favorites are coming back to you
The world may never know, here is something new
And now it's time to totally get through the next January Medley

If you think things get too young to be classics
The world doesn't end, so don't ever panic
Thanks for enjoying this very tragic January Medley

It's a Janu... ary... Medley! (January... Medley... January Medley!) Yay! "

I believe that these excerpted lyrics are his own. If true, than there was indeed "some authorship".

I maintain that the medleys in question are not parodies, and thus are afforded no protections whatsoever.

It isn't only parodies that are entitled to "Fair Use" exemptions from copyright laws. Many other uses can be eligible. For example, I believe my excerpt of TSB's medley was Fair Use, even though I didn't parody his lyrics. We were having a critical discussion of them. Reviews and many other uses can be "Fair Use". As per my first comment on this thread,

"I personally would be generous and consider TSB's "medley" a review, so to speak, of some works submitted in that month that he considered worth quoting."

I suppose it boils down to legal mumbo-jumbo or personal views as to what is considered "substantial".

Actually, it boils down to the Court's view. There is no way to know in advance how much will be considered a fair portion. In some cases, courts have found large portions to be fair use, and in others, relatively small ones have been found to infringe. It's decided case-by-case within all the circumstances, which is admittedly tough on everyone.

wouldn't 33+% of a parody qualify as "substantial"?
I don't know. Maybe. Again, as in the excellent law article you cited, the courts look at all the circumstances, what use was made, commercial/not, etc. etc. etc. As mentioned, I haven't read all of the original parodies that TSB excerpted, and so don't know what % of each was taken. At some point, it definitely becomes excessive.

I have to ask you again though, does Adagio have a leg to stand on in asking that TSB's medley, which included her work, be removed from the site?
Of course she does, for the reason you gave: Editorial control is a different animal than censorship. Any business owner wants to please as many people as possible, and if some of them object to what others are doing, the owner certainly can take action, just as a bar owner could evict a patron who was annoying other patrons, even if the annoying person weren't breaking any laws.

Again, we need to differentiate between the US Congress and ChuckyG. As the warning at the beginning of all your DVDs tells you, copyright infringement is not only a civil but also a criminal offense, investigated by the FBI etc., so we need to be very careful in accusing someone of committing crimes.  ChuckyG, however, may run his site as he sees best, which might include honoring such requests by Adagio simply because she has been offended, even if she has not been the victim of a crime. Are you with me here?

FTR, I take no pleasure in seeing TSB's medleys removed from the site.
Nor do I, but I absolutely respect the feelings both of those who were offended and of ChuckyG's decision to act accordingly.

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/30/07 at 9:40 pm

if a thief broke in, stole the CD, then gave it back and repaired the smashed lock on my front door, would that be regarded as 'fair use'?

Um, no. That would be regarded as breaking and entering, burglary, criminal insanity, and wanton misuse of an analogy where literal terms would far better suit the discussion.

Again, please read Tommy Turtle's posts. He's talking to you too.

A few words about Fair Use: it's not an opinion, i.e., whether you or I think TSB's use of something is fair. It's a legal principle - part of copyright law.

FAIR USE ROCKS. LOVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE YOUR OWN MOTHER. Did you get permission from the Beatles before you used their work, "Let It Be," as the basis of your parody, "Letter T"? No? So why is that not stealing? I'll tell you why. FAIR USE. You don't have to get permission. All of us parodists get away with our parodies because of the FAIR USE aspect of copyright law. So embrace it, dammit. Just be aware, however, that Fair Use also says that other people can use YOUR stuff without permission, within acceptable limits.

Now. Go read Tommy Turtle's posts. That article that Red Ant linked to is great stuff too.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: EthanM on 01/30/07 at 10:02 pm

TSB did not commit plagiarism or infringe copyright. He (I'm pretty sure tsb is male) did submit something that violates the rules on the submission page. It's legal but not a parody and shouldn't be submitted as one, which is what Chucky said. Is there really anything else to say about it?

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/30/07 at 10:26 pm

Is there really anything else to say about it?

Yes. Lots, actually. I see this as a very valuable discussion, especially for this particular community.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/30/07 at 10:42 pm

Here's another example to think about, which has happened in the past.

Let's say you wake up tomorrow morning, and find that someone made a recording of one of your songs, and posted it on the front page.  They give you full credit for writing the song, but did not ask your permission to do it.  Are you angry that someone "stole" your song, or happy/honored that you get to hear someone else's version of it?  This has happened here at least twice...once someone posted a very good recording of a Claude Prez song, posted as sung by "Claude Prez Fan" or something similar.  The second was a medley of many authors 

Personally, as long as the quality was at a certain level, I'd be happy/honored.  And if I was recording someone else's song, I'd get their permission beforehand, or at least play it for them before submitting it anywhere (unless I knew that person very well), but that's just me.

Some people like more control over how their songs are used, and that's fine.

Anecdote time!

I had something very similar happen to me. Back in late 2002, in the run-up to the war, I wrote a "Sleigh Ride" parody called "Slay Ride." A few days later, I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO on a fairly popular local morning show. They credited me on the air, but since no one had asked my permission to record it or to air it, I was SHOCKED AND FURIOUS.

Just kidding. I was thrilled. It turned out that one of my coworkers had (without my knowledge) sent my lyrics to the DJs, and they passed them along to one of *their* coworkers named Robert Lund. He recorded it, they played it, I heard it, and there you go. I didn't know Robert at the time, and he probably wishes I still didn't; now I foist everything I ever write on him in hopes he'll record it.

Anywho. FAIR USE ROCKS. LOVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE YOUR OWN MOTHER.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: EthanM on 01/30/07 at 11:00 pm

A couple of years ago, a radio station in Buffalo started playing one of my parodies that they found on Soundclick on the radio. They didn't ask for my permission first. I wasn't offended at all but I wished that more could've happened from that.

But that is different from calling a medley of pre-existing parodies a new parody. I'd be fine with it being posted in a messageboard or forum, but it shouldn't be submitted on the "parodies" page of amiright, since it isn't one.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/30/07 at 11:08 pm

Yes. Lots, actually. I see this as a very valuable discussion, especially for this particular community.

xoxox
Spaff

That's good, because there is some more I have to say, even though I feel as though I'm in a hole and should be asking for a ladder rather than a larger shovel.  ;D

There's a few things from that site that stick out to me (aside from the "

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/30/07 at 11:24 pm

I maintain that TSB's medley were not valid parodies, and therefore he cannot claim fair use.

Now is where I would typically bow out and let Tommy Turtle take over. Before I do, I just want to point out, Jack, that the article you're citing only addresses Fair Use as it applies to parodying a work. Fair Use applies to MUCH more than just creating a parody.

You're right; TSB's "medley" is not a parody. The works he included in his medley, however, are open to Fair Use just like any other creative works. I'm confident that what TSB did would be considered by a judge to be Fair Use of those works, even though it's not a parody. Dig?

xoxox
Spaff

P.S. For the record, in case anyone is concerned, I am *not* arguing against Chucky's decision to remove the medleys. He did that according to site policy. I gots no problem wit de site policy. My posts are about plagiarism.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/30/07 at 11:32 pm

You're right; TSB's "medley" is not a parody. The works he included in his medley, however, are open to Fair Use just like any other creative works. I'm confident that what TSB did would be considered by a judge to be Fair Use of those works, even though it's not a parody. Dig?

Did you say dig? This hole is already deep enough! Say, would ya be so kind as to get me a ladder?

Yes, I dig.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/07 at 1:45 pm

P.S. For the record, in case anyone is concerned, I am *not* arguing against Chucky's decision to remove the medleys. He did that according to site policy. I gots no problem wit de site policy. My posts are about plagiarism.

and I haven't even removed any yet... he's sent in so many, I have no idea where to even start.  Too busy with fun things like the new sections.

As for why I wrote the policy, I kind of want to keep it strictly parodies.  I don't even want to get into the "fair use" aspect of things, though I do read up and try to follow as much about it as I can.  I also tend to shy away from the stuff on the site that would only appeal to the other parody authors, which I kind of thought TSB's medlies were meant to address, since I don't know how interesting small snippets would be to other people.

I wonder if small snippets of parodies might be useful for advertising the site, maybe set it up as an RSS feed or something.  Maybe use them for posting on other sites, with a link to the full parodies on amIright? just a thought...

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/31/07 at 10:58 pm

Spaff covered fair use, but the reason we can claim fair use is because we are making parodies.  I maintain that TSB's medleys were not valid parodies, and therefore he cannot claim fair use.

Now is where I would typically bow out and let Tommy Turtle take over. Before I do, I just want to point out, Jack, that the article you're citing only addresses Fair Use as it applies to parodying a work. Fair Use applies to MUCH more than just creating a parody.

Spaff, I don't need to take over, because you said exactly what I would have:
Jack, your very understandable mistake is in thinking that parody is the only "fair use" of copyright material. As Spaff said, there are many other "fair uses". A fair start (lol) on "fair use" is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use.

I wonder if small snippets of parodies might be useful for advertising the site, maybe set it up as an RSS feed or something.  Maybe use them for posting on other sites, with a link to the full parodies on amIright? just a thought...

ChuckyG, I think that's an incredibly brilliant idea. And for the record, I hereby give you blanket permission to use small and reasonable portions of any song I have posted here for the purpose of publicizing this site, provided that proper credit is given. (Pen name would suffice, but a link to author home page and/or to the individual song being snippeted would be really great Karma.)

And now, ChuckyG and all: I've just submitted a parody tribute to Tokusou Sentai Blessranger. I'm serious, and I do mean a tribute, not an attack. (I never do attacks.) It was evident there's a lot of ill will towards him here aside from this one incident, but I did a little research and found that, as with almost everyone on the planet, there's something interesting if you dig a bit. Regardless of what's done with his medleys, I hope you'll find it worthy of publishing and that some people will be fair enough to take a fair look at it.

Tommy

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/31/07 at 11:14 pm

I also tend to shy away from the stuff on the site that would only appeal to the other parody authors, which I kind of thought TSB's medlies were meant to address, since I don't know how interesting small snippets would be to other people.

Still not arguing with your decision about the medleys, but in all fairness, is it possible that a non-author or first-time site visitor who happened across the medley snippets might think, "Gee, this one and that one look interesting. I'm gonna go look at the whole thing" in the same way as the advertising idea you're suggesting? (Maybe TSB should be credited for the advertising idea? Everything has a silver lining...)

Many of my own parody tributes include hyperlinks to parodies of the author being tributed, not just for fellow authors but so a newbie who read it might click and read the original parodies of that author. (I wish TSB had hyperlinked our names to our home pages in the "credit" portion of the medley.) One reason Wikipedia is addictive is that every article contains 50 hyperlinks to other articles, so you click those, and they each have 50 more....

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/07 at 7:23 pm

Still not arguing with your decision about the medleys, but in all fairness, is it possible that a non-author or first-time site visitor who happened across the medley snippets might think, "Gee, this one and that one look interesting. I'm gonna go look at the whole thing" in the same way as the advertising idea you're suggesting? (Maybe TSB should be credited for the advertising idea? Everything has a silver lining...)

Many of my own parody tributes include hyperlinks to parodies of the author being tributed, not just for fellow authors but so a newbie who read it might click and read the original parodies of that author. (I wish TSB had hyperlinked our names to our home pages in the "credit" portion of the medley.) One reason Wikipedia is addictive is that every article contains 50 hyperlinks to other articles, so you click those, and they each have 50 more....

yes and no.  Like most things, a little is better than a lot.  I'm trying to avoid the situation of every day, there's twenty tribute parodies to everyone, and maybe five that talk about something else. At one point early on in amIright's history, we had a day that was maybe a 50/50 mix.  I figured something should be done to stop that as soon as I can.  Of course we're talking about when there was only maybe 10 a day.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/03/07 at 12:40 pm

and I haven't even removed any yet... he's sent in so many, I have no idea where to even start.  Too busy with fun things like the new sections.

As for why I wrote the policy, I kind of want to keep it strictly parodies.  I don't even want to get into the "fair use" aspect of things, though I do read up and try to follow as much about it as I can.  I also tend to shy away from the stuff on the site that would only appeal to the other parody authors, which I kind of thought TSB's medlies were meant to address, since I don't know how interesting small snippets would be to other people.

I've thought about linking my author page before on another site I'm registered at, but haven't done it yet.

Written By: Mr. Critic on 02/05/07 at 4:53 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/wham29.shtml needs to be deleted because it is a blatant ripoff of www.amiright.com/parody/80s/georgemichael14.shtml (don't delete THIS one)

Compare. The "Wham" one is entirely verbatim from the "George Michael" one.

Written By: Diane Lane on 02/09/07 at 6:35 pm

How did Weird Al's "My Bologna" parody get posted here....http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/theknack27.shtml

You would think the editors of a parody website would know this is Al's first big hit, yet some dumbass posts it as his own? Come on, people, wake up.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/09/07 at 6:49 pm

How did Weird Al's "My Bologna" parody get posted here....http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/theknack27.shtml

You would think the editors of a parody website would know this is Al's first big hit, yet some dumbass posts it as his own? Come on, people, wake up.

Diane I am not an editor. . .but what I will say is Chucky goes through roughly 20-50 parodies everyday. . .that's just parodies. . .that's why it's important to post things here when someone plagarizes. . .it's one editor on that section and he has several sites to maintain. . .it will be removed upon reporting, but he does not have the time needed to go over every parody submitted in great detail. . .and I'm sure he does know that, but it doesn't mean that he'll catch it right away. . .sorry-not trying to offend, just had to point out Chucky has a lot of work and he can only weed out so much when he's approving parodies. . .generally he aims at the porn/sex/threat parodies because they are much more dangerous. . .the other have to be removed after the fact. . .the good thing is we all know what is Weird Al's or each others so the guy ends up feeling kinda dumb for doing it in the long run.

Written By: Diane Lane on 02/09/07 at 6:57 pm

Diane I am not an editor. . .but what I will say is Chucky goes through roughly 20-50 parodies everyday. . .that's just parodies. . .that's why it's important to post things here when someone plagarizes. . .it's one editor on that section and he has several sites to maintain. . .it will be removed upon reporting, but he does not have the time needed to go over every parody submitted in great detail. . .and I'm sure he does know that, but it doesn't mean that he'll catch it right away. . .sorry-not trying to offend, just had to point out Chucky has a lot of work and he can only weed out so much when he's approving parodies. . .generally he aims at the porn/sex/threat parodies because they are much more dangerous. . .the other have to be removed after the fact. . .the good thing is we all know what is Weird Al's or each others so the guy ends up feeling kinda dumb for doing it in the long run.

Well, if I owned a parody website I SURE wouldn't let Weird Al be plagiarized, of all people. It loses all credibility for Amiright in the eyes of any one seeing it, so it might be wise for Chucky to revamp his priority or assign somebody else to do it.

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/09/07 at 8:26 pm

Reminds me of when I was in jounior high we had a poetry writing contest, with the best poems to be published in a little booklet. One of the poems that got published, was Edgar Allen Poe's "Annabelle Lee", credited to one of the students. The teachers didn't even catch it. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 02/11/07 at 1:03 pm

I posted those lyrics on a randm song lyrics thread, I wonder if the person got it from there.... ::)

(Maybe, maybe not)

Written By: tmayfield on 02/11/07 at 5:28 pm

The IPWA

How about WIPOFF?  Then it can be Writer's Informational Parody Originality Facts FAQS.  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/11/07 at 6:25 pm

Well, if I owned a parody website I SURE wouldn't let Weird Al be plagiarized, of all people. It loses all credibility for Amiright in the eyes of any one seeing it, so it might be wise for Chucky to revamp his priority or assign somebody else to do it.

After 50,000 parodies, I'm sure you'd never miss a single thing...

I usually only skim the parodies for anything obscene or spam. Thousands of people read the site everyday, and usually something like this gets noticed pretty quickly.  That's why the forum is here.  I'm familiar with it, and I've deleted it several times in the past.  No idea why it made it through, but it happens.

Written By: The Anomaly on 02/11/07 at 10:02 pm

This parody has only about TWO words changed from the original. I consider that plagiarism!

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thecars5.shtml

Written By: EthanM on 02/11/07 at 10:29 pm

Should michael hack be banned altogether? I don't think that I've seen anything from him that he actually wrote enough of to be considered an original parody.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/12/07 at 8:15 am

Should michael hack be banned altogether? I don't think that I've seen anything from him that he actually wrote enough of to be considered an original parody.

has he even been submitting stuff still? that parody is over 2 years old

Written By: EthanM on 02/12/07 at 8:28 am

Maybe not. I didn't remember anything new from him but I thought the one linked to might have been. Maybe if I checked the dates of the comments then I wouldn't have thought that.

Written By: The Anomaly on 02/12/07 at 9:04 pm

IMHO, how long a parody has been on the site has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it should be removed.

"Hacks" like Michael deserve to be removed, no matter what the circumstances!

Written By: Jason on 02/16/07 at 3:06 pm

ChuckyG, this is an exact carbon copy of the original song:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/beegees55.shtml

Written By: Red Ant on 02/20/07 at 7:11 pm

This parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/sirmixalot7.shtml

is a rip-off of "Baby Got Snacks" by In Living Color:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLFG3Pd7Dm0

To the last commentor, if he/she reads this: comments are not reviewed before they are posted. Since there are but two "moderators" for Amiright (who have considerable other duties) and 100-300 comments are posted per day, we are going to miss things from time to time. This thread is for reporting plagiaries. In the future, please use it.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/20/07 at 7:22 pm

Weird Al's "My Bologna" and now the In Living Color parody "Baby Got Snacks".

Man...... The plagers are getting bold.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/15/07 at 10:20 pm

This parody posted today: 

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/nizlopi5.shtml

is a word-for-word plagiary of this one (don't delete):

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/nizlopi2.shtml

I wonder if K.Y.L.E is back...

Written By: lpg_unit on 05/16/07 at 4:57 am

This parody posted today: 

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/nizlopi5.shtml

is a word-for-word plagiary of this one (don't delete):

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/nizlopi2.shtml

I wonder if K.Y.L.E is back...

That was so nasty - some guy stealing other authors' work - this is a parody site, but stealing literary works, even parodies, is taboo... Please get rid of this ripoff pronto...

Written By: Guest on 02/28/08 at 5:24 pm

Chuck...

The following parody should have been taken down ages ago: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/wham24.shtml

It is entirely verbatim from a parody written earlier by Trell Brown: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/georgemichael9.shtml (the good copy; don't delete this one)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/08 at 5:39 pm

Chuck...

The following parody should have been taken down ages ago: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/wham24.shtml

It is entirely verbatim from a parody written earlier by Trell Brown: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/georgemichael9.shtml (the good copy; don't delete this one)

I voted on the the one that shouldn't be up.... :-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 03/30/08 at 12:52 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jamesblunt121.shtml

Another blatant rip-off of Kevin Sage's work by the same person. Some people just don't get it...

Ant

Written By: Mr. Critic on 04/14/08 at 11:43 am

Admins, it appears that someone used exact excerpts from various Michael Jackson songs in creating this one:

www.amiright.com/parody/misc/michaeljackson7.shtml

To me, I think that counts as plagairism.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/14/08 at 3:09 pm

Admins, it appears that someone used exact excerpts from various Michael Jackson songs in creating this one:

www.amiright.com/parody/misc/michaeljackson7.shtml

To me, I think that counts as plagairism.

I agree. The thing is he claims it to be a polka medley to those lyrics... That would be fine if it were an actual recording, but since it's a posted submission(or more to the point, copied and pasted submission), it's not.

Written By: Some Guy on 12/04/08 at 10:25 am

Hey admins...

This parody seems at least 90% verbatim to the original:

www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/weirdalyankovic78.shtml

The author says that all are retained but have modified lyrics. Yeah right. It seems like the author copied each and every section verbatim from those of the original (which, b.t.w, is a medley of real songs). Here's what he had to say:

All sections in the actual Polkarama are retained but most will have modified lyrics. Also "Photograph" by Nickelback has been added between "Drop It Like It's Hot" and "Pon de Replay", but the "shave and a haircut" portion of the outro has been removed.

I don't trust that.

Written By: Dylan Baranski on 05/27/09 at 6:40 pm

I have a plagiarized parody to report. The following parody:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/katyperry45.shtml

Is a rip-off of one of my recent parodies:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/bucknergarcia0.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...