inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NYC area parody writers gettogether?

Written By: EthanM on 05/23/04 at 10:55 am

a while ago we were discussing the possibility of writers in the NYC area getting together  but we never really decided on anything. So i'd like to bring it back up again... personally i'd like to meet at an open mic place (or start somewhere else and end up there) where everyone who wants to perform can. Friday and saturday evenings are good for me and there will be one week in late june when i'm free the whole week. Anyone else interested and if so what times are good for you? And does anyone know about a good open mic place for comedy performances?

Subject: Re: NYC area parody writers gettogether?

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/23/04 at 12:02 pm

I'm about 20 miles west of Boston, Ethan, so I think NYC might be a bit far for me.  But if there are any Amiright folks in the Worcester-Boston-Providence-Portsmouth-Manchester area, maybe we all can do something like what Ethan's considering for NYC.

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/23/04 at 7:21 pm

I'm about 20 miles west of Boston, Ethan, so I think NYC might be a bit far for me.  But if there are any Amiright folks in the Worcester-Boston-Providence-Portsmouth-Manchester area, maybe we all can do something like what Ethan's considering for NYC.

Thats where Chucky G is

anyway, Ethan, you know Im around......but late June might be tricky...I have to see my schedule

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/23/04 at 7:52 pm

I'm in NYC...not much of a performer though. Still, it might be fun. I'd be interested if there was sufficient interest in such an idea.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/25/04 at 2:02 pm

Thats where Chucky G is

yes it is... I can't sing worth a darn, but I'm more than happy to come and laugh at support those who do.

it's funny, I've been running the sites for 9 years now, and never had any kind of get togethers.  When I ran my BBS before that (similar to a website, but not Internet based), the local BBS community had get togethers every year.  Of course, the BBS scene was more hardcore geek than the Internet stuff, so people were way freakier to meet in person

Written By: neminem on 05/25/04 at 4:43 pm

When I ran my BBS before that (similar to a website, but not Internet based)...

Where by "internet" I assume you mean "http"? Because my understanding is that any protocol that leaves your local area network is considered a part of the internet...

Anyway, wish I was in the area... if there's ever one in the LA area during the school year or the San Jose area during the summer, I'll be there.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/26/04 at 8:18 am

Where by "internet" I assume you mean "http"? Because my understanding is that any protocol that leaves your local area network is considered a part of the internet...

Anyway, wish I was in the area... if there's ever one in the LA area during the school year or the San Jose area during the summer, I'll be there.

no... though I was using the Internet before the days of the http protocol (gopher ruled!).  No, in the olden days, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, and people used 300 BAUD modems (dial up modems are now 56,400 BAUD) we dialed directly into a person's computer, where special software ran to allow people to post messages in forums (likes this), play games and download files.  The Internet existed, it just wasn't involved at all in the process, it was a totally seperate entity.  I ran my computer on a dedicated phone line for people to access it for about 5 years until the Internet became more popular.

Written By: PRobinson on 06/03/04 at 1:02 am

Nem - I live in the L.A. area - I don't know if anything could be put together here or not, but I'm planning on going back up to North sometime in the summer, maybe August - haven't really set anything up yet.  I go up well past San Jose but I would do the same thing I did in January;  head up there on a Thursday, stop in San Jose for the Thursday Open Mic, take a room overnight and continue on my trip the next morning.  I guess as the time gets closer and I have some real plans I can get in touch with Rick & Mari to make sure the club will be doing Open Mic that night and that they will be there.  Then we could post a note here and see how many other folks can make it.  From some comments I've seen lately I think we've gained a couple new writers who are within reasonable distance of San Jose.  It would be cool if we could get a dozen or more folks together at one time. 

Written By: 2nz on 06/03/04 at 4:08 am

I'm up for meeting in NYC on Friday or Saturday night. Sunday works for me too. I don't know any open-mic places (he can't sing well either), but my cousin lives in the Village, so I could ask him if he knows of any good places. Usually I wander down to Washington Square and play chess with people who don't speak English or go to ChinaTownFair and lose, but that's because of my native geeky-ness. Any time in the second half of June works well for me, but July I ship off to Rome for a summer semester  ;D and won't be back until August. If its were up to me, I'd have it some time in the second half of June, on Friday or Saturday night.

Written By: EthanM on 06/05/04 at 2:23 pm

how does saturday june 19th sound?

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/07/04 at 6:25 pm

how does saturday june 19th sound?

incredably awful

Written By: EthanM on 06/07/04 at 8:29 pm

i have a feeling by the time we can agree on a date it'll be time to go back to school

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/08/04 at 4:30 pm

i have a feeling by the time we can agree on a date it'll be time to go back to school

well if you do ever agree on a date, start a new thread with the info, and I can post it on the front page of amiright (and post it as an event on the inthe00s.com calendar, not that it's ever been used for anything before).

Written By: 2nz on 06/08/04 at 9:21 pm

I've got my sister's party on the 19th. I'm free on the 26th of this month. I'm gonna take off work and talk to my cousin about some place we can hang and do karaoke. It will probably be around the Village, because that's the area that he knows the best, but we'll see. I'm sure I can give decent subway directions to anyone who isn't practiced at coming into the city. If we get some people to agree before-hand we could also head to a comedy club while we're all there. I'd recommend the Comedy Cellar, but there are tons of 'em to choose from. If two more people besides me agree to the 26th of June, I'll go ahead and make an official thread stating the date and the approximate time I think we can get started, and also at least one place where we could hang and annoy all the locals.

Written By: EthanM on 06/08/04 at 10:01 pm

26th is good for me

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/09/04 at 12:29 am

I have a feeling that the 26th isnt good for me.....wow, Im good at ruining this, arent I?

Written By: 2nz on 06/09/04 at 1:03 am

I have a feeling that the 26th isnt good for me.....wow, Im good at ruining this, arent I?

Can you kick your feeling until it gives you a definite answer?
Come on, man. I'm jumping to do this before July because I'm going away and can't do it then. What do you have planned that can't be scheduled so it allows for you to drop by some place in the city for ONE HALF of a Saturday? What job do you work at that not only keeps you busy weekends but needs more than a two week notice for one Saturday off? I can't guarantee you'll have fun if you don't come  ;)

Anyways, I'm sure the headline in the news section will grab some more people, and may even result in some unannounced arrivals on the specific day, but I remember Robert ( The guy behind all them there Hillbillies theme parodies ) mentioning he was from NY, so I'll try and find him if I don't see him on the message boards.
The more people we can grab earlier, the better our chances are of getting a good turnout.

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 06/10/04 at 9:07 am

Dude:
I'm in.  Since I live here, I don't care we we meet.  Suggest that the open mic thing might not be the best idea this time, but like the idea of meeting at some bar in the Village.  See if Pacholek will come into NYC.
bob

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/11/04 at 1:44 am

does this necessarily have to be a Saturday?  Could it be the 25th, that Friday possibly?.........It would be much easier to move plans that day .....

Written By: EthanM on 06/19/04 at 4:44 pm

i think the 25th would be fine but we're going to have to figure out what's going on and pretty quickly if we're going to do that

Written By: 2nz on 06/20/04 at 10:29 am

Everyone who can't go Saturday, Billy especially, I'm sorry but I already took off work on that Saturday and made some plans to sleep in the city, so Friday won't work for me. I'm going to submit a notice so it will be posted in the news section today about the 26th being the day and the we will be hanging at a bar or a club in lower Manhattan, although exacly where is up for discussion still. If anyone plays fighting games, if you get into the city early, I could meet you at ChinaTownFair in Chinatown. Unless you've got God-like skills, you can join me in getting beaten there for a little while. The approximate meeting time is 5pm, and over the next 3/4 days, we need to decide a specific location. Hope to see you all there  :D 8)

Oh, and if would be fine with me if we had another one of these in August at some point. Someone could make a separate thread to discuss the August meeting.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/20/04 at 5:28 pm

Everyone who can't go Saturday, Billy especially, I'm sorry but I already took off work on that Saturday and made some plans to sleep in the city, so Friday won't work for me. I'm going to submit a notice so it will be posted in the news section today about the 26th being the day and the we will be hanging at a bar or a club in lower Manhattan, although exacly where is up for discussion still. If anyone plays fighting games, if you get into the city early, I could meet you at ChinaTownFair in Chinatown. Unless you've got God-like skills, you can join me in getting beaten there for a little while. The approximate meeting time is 5pm, and over the next 3/4 days, we need to decide a specific location. Hope to see you all there  :D 8)

Oh, and if would be fine with me if we had another one of these in August at some point. Someone could make a separate thread to discuss the August meeting.

yeah, theres no way Ill be able to make the 26th, but if we have another, Ill be sure to be there

Written By: jreuben on 06/22/04 at 8:49 am

Wish I had been following this thread...it's short notice, but I'll see what I can do

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 06/22/04 at 11:44 am

No can do.  Perhaps next time.

Written By: 2nz on 06/22/04 at 2:13 pm

I knew I should have posted it in the news section 2 weeks ago. Whatever happens, I'll still be there ('there' being the place we soon need to decide) (and 'we' being anyone who can make it, which right now seems to be me, Ethan and possibly Jeff). Alright, lesson learned. I don't know how this one will turn out, but I submit for everyones discussion another meeting in August. Please post several days during the weeks in August when you specifically could make it into the city and just hang out. We'll try to nail down a day, time and (more importantly) a head count way before the event. And I'll remember to announce it in the news section really early as well.

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 06/22/04 at 3:00 pm

Well, as I said, I'm here.  Anytime is good for me.  However, originally you said last weekend - what happened?

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/22/04 at 11:06 pm

I would love to do this!

...if we plan this in Iowa someday, let me know ::)

Written By: Adam Moses on 06/23/04 at 9:54 pm

I'm just a hop, skip, and a train ride away from the city. I'm there.  :)

Written By: Adam Moses on 06/24/04 at 8:48 am

Hey, why don't you guys come up to Peekskill? It's an hour north train ride from the city on Metro North, and the place has a lot of open mic cafes and reasonable prices......... If anyone likes that idea, give me a buzz on email. It's ammonouncer@aol.com

Written By: EthanM on 06/24/04 at 9:40 am

if we're going to do this it would have to be the city an hor north from the city is 2 hours each way for me not counting switching trains

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 06/24/04 at 1:20 pm

We have access to the greatest city in the world, with some of the best bars - why would we want to go up to the land of Pataki?  (Wasn't he mayor of Poughkeepsie or something like that?)  While I love the drive on the Taconic, I think NYC is actually more accessible to more people.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/04 at 9:47 am

did this happen? where are the pics if it did? enquiring minds want to know...

Written By: EthanM on 06/28/04 at 11:03 am

unless they went and did it without me it didn't happen i think we started planning too late

Written By: 2nz on 06/28/04 at 11:26 am

So yeah, it kinda didn't happen this time around. Our amiright 'meet in NYC' consisted of me wandering around downtown, getting screwed over by subways that change their letter midway through the line and hitting on a police-woman (Actually that last one isn't made up). We're going to get our stuff together and do an organized one in August. Hey, Rob. Would you mind picking the place for the one in August? I don't live in the city and my cousin has been unavailable so I don't know any reliably good places. Sorry, everyone who was hoping for some grrreat new author pics and stories. If ya'll want, I can dig up a couple of myself today.

Written By: EthanM on 06/28/04 at 11:50 am

i'm going to be on long island and not working from august 12-18 but after that is no good for me since i'll be going to cross country preseason in lancaster

Written By: jreuben on 06/28/04 at 12:10 pm

I'll try to make it up from DC if you do one in August.  Unfortunately, I have a wedding down here August 14th, so going by Ethan's availability, I might be out.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/28/04 at 12:24 pm

I think any day but August 8th is good

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 06/28/04 at 1:46 pm

2nz - assuming you meant me to pick out a place, why don't we meet at:

Caliente Cab Co.
21 Waverly Place
(corner of Greene St.)
New York, NY
(212) 529-1500

Now, generally I hate chains.  But this place serves great frozen margaritas - there are four floor to ceiling televisions (in case there's a good game on) and it's right in the middle of the Village.  We could meet here and go just about anywhere.  (THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE CALIENTE CAB CO. ON 7TH AVENUE SOUTH). 

From Penn Station:  E, A or C train to West Fourth Street and walk east through the north end of the park.  Or, R train to 8th Street and walk two blocks west.

From Grand Central:  6 Train to Astor Place and walk west a few blocks.

From NJ:  Fly from Newark to Albany, take Amtrak to Grand Central and follow directions above.

Let me know what you think.
bob

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/28/04 at 1:50 pm

2nz - assuming you meant me to pick out a place, why don't we meet at:

Caliente Cab Co.
21 Waverly Place
(corner of Greene St.)
New York, NY
(212) 529-1500

Now, generally I hate chains.  But this place serves great frozen margaritas - there are four floor to ceiling televisions (in case there's a good game on) and it's right in the middle of the Village.  We could meet here and go just about anywhere.  (THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE CALIENTE CAB CO. ON 7TH AVENUE SOUTH). 

From Penn Station:  E, A or C train to West Fourth Street and walk east through the north end of the park.  Or, R train to 8th Street and walk two blocks west.

From NJ:  Fly from Newark to Albany, take Amtrak to Grand Central and follow directions above.

Let me know what you think.
bob

once you guys pick the date and place (and stick by it) start a new thread for it.  I'll replace the text at the top of amiright with the details and a link to a new thread.. say no latter than the middle of July (to give everyone plenty of time to make plans and meet).

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 06/28/04 at 2:02 pm

My suggestion is to stay away from Aug. 28 as the Fascists are holding a convention beginning on Monday, Aug. 30.  Some of them will already have started to make their way into the city, but the security and general bs that everyone will have to go through in order to navigate through the city promises to be unbelievable.
bob 

Written By: 2nz on 06/28/04 at 6:38 pm

Yeah, Robert. That place sounds good. Now let's nail down a day of the week that accomodates the most people. I'm good any day, but I think Fridays and Saturdays would probably be the best for all the workers. So for arguments sake, how many and which of the following days could people meet in the city: August 13, August 14, August 20, August 21. Feel free to state your preferred day out of these four, or rather if there are any of these four days that pose a problem for you.

Written By: EthanM on 06/28/04 at 6:42 pm

13th and 14th sound fine to me

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 06/29/04 at 10:18 am

I'm good for any of those days - if pressed, would probably prefer the 13th/14th days - hey, how could you argue with a get together on Friday the 13th?
bob

Written By: jreuben on 06/29/04 at 10:29 am

The 20th and 21st would work best for me.  Couldn't make the 14th at all.  Doubtful on the 13th as well, but if most people can make the 13th or 14th, I'd prefer the 13th to have a marginal, fighting chance to meet some of you guys and gals =)

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/08/04 at 11:05 pm

13th, 20th or 21st work ...if we need it to be the 14th, I guess I can make it, but Id rather not have it that day

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 07/10/04 at 12:38 am

Well, are we going to set this damn thing or what?  Ethan, can you make the 20th or 21st?  For me, I can be in the Village at 7:30-8p on the 20th; or anytime on the 21st.  We can meet for a drink and even walk down to Little Italy for dinner - inexpensive. 
Say the word,
bob

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/10/04 at 1:04 am

I think that if people under the age of 21 are coming, then a bar may not be optimum...or at least not a bar that only allows over 21 in

Written By: EthanM on 07/10/04 at 8:02 am

i  can't make 20th or 21st just 13th and 14th

Written By: 2nz on 07/10/04 at 9:17 am

This is why I wanted to get this cemented before I left. OK, hows about the 13th? I'm up for a Friday the 13th meet. Mr. Pagliaro, is there any way you can make that day? I thinks that day looks the most solid right now.It seems like Ethan can't make the later dates, so if we can't agree in several days time, I'm just gonna call Friday the 13 'head', Friday the 20th 'tails', FLIP, and then we'll have a day. That is if we don't just decide on Friday the 13 outright. Ciao mi parodi amici.

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 07/10/04 at 8:22 pm

Hey 2nz, my name is Bob - I'm not that old, am I?  The only reason why I asked if Ethan could make it the other weekend was that it appeared that our good friend Jeff from Maryland was going to make the trip up.  I can make Friday, Aug. 13 but it will probably by between 7:30 & 8:00p before my arrival - I've got to go home and walk the dog.
Let me know what you decide.
bob

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/11/04 at 1:25 am

as long as were not out till 2 in the morning, then the 13th is fine lol

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 07/13/04 at 8:28 am

Ah, 2nz?  Are we meeting at Caliente next month or not? 

Written By: Kimba T. Dogg on 07/13/04 at 10:25 am

I will attend.

Written By: 2nz on 07/13/04 at 3:13 pm

Ah, 2nz?  Are we meeting at Caliente next month or not? 

Yes, Bob. Friday the 13th at Caliente. Hear that ever'body? FRIDAY the 13TH at CALIENTE! If you are new to the thread, then look on page 3 of this thread for Bobs very thorough and very helpful directions to our place of meeting. After I get back, I plan on going there at least once before the 13th, mostly to case the place and check out the surrounding area. Aside from it being a good excuse to go into the city again, I could then also help with directions if need be. So there, that's the working plan. Could someone create a new thread with this info? I would really appreciate it. If someone could to that, I could submit a news item to Chucky the next time I'm on and we'd be all set. Ciao

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 07/13/04 at 5:24 pm

Caliente Cab Co.
21 Waverly Place
(corner of Greene St.)
New York, NY
(212) 529-1500

(THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE CALIENTE CAB CO. ON 7TH AVENUE SOUTH). 

Written By: Robert J. Pagliaro on 07/13/04 at 8:12 pm

2nz - check out the surrounding area?  It's the West Village.  Don't worry, I picked a place that you Long Islanders can handle.  NYU owns almost everything in the surrounding area - you're ok.

Written By: Kimba T. Dogg on 07/13/04 at 9:51 pm

No, I say we scare 2nz and take him to the East Village.

Written By: 2nz on 07/17/04 at 12:03 pm

No odd leather shops for me, but thanks anyway Kimba. For a guy who's never lived there, I'm pretty decent at navimugating lower Manhattan. I had an internship in the Village last semester, at NYT Television. Kinda boring, but I can make it sound great on resumes, and real-world experience is always useful. Oh, and don't be talkin' down to this Long Islander, yo. I've got crazy China-town/Little Italy/Mulberry Street Marauder stories that would turn your face white. Alright, maybe not, but I knows me way around the city.  :P ;D Also understand that I will use almost any excuse to go in and walk around in the city. It's just fun to explore and see what I find. So far my favorite thing is walking down to Washington Square and playing chess with guys who don't speak the same language as me. It's always a good time.

Written By: jreuben on 07/19/04 at 1:14 pm

Crap.  I have a wedding in Maryland August 14th, so I probably can't make that one either.  Maybe I'll fly out to Vegas for the next west coast meeting.

Check for new replies or respond here...