inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I dunno....

Written By: Just_Brit on 06/03/04 at 8:35 am

maybe it's time i moved on...i just saw today's updates with two songs that i had ideas to and were working on figuring out when two different people were able to do them before i could *sigh* i've had some inspiration but not a lot lately and i've been too busy...maybe it's just time for me to hung up my word processor and mp3's and just go about life....

Subject: Re: I dunno....

Written By: Leo Jay on 06/03/04 at 9:53 am

I don't think it matters whether a song's been done before.  Even using the same basic idea, you can come up with something completely different.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/03/04 at 12:18 pm

Yeah, really, I mean, there's nearly a hundred frickin' "Sk8er Boi" parodies up there now.  Don't sweat it.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/03/04 at 8:33 pm

Brit, dont go anywhere....just because someone did your parody is no reason to quit

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/03/04 at 9:21 pm

It's harder for everybody to do research now that the old searching functions are no more.  Also, Rick Duncan and I have had numerous parody collisions and coincidences, and it was never a big deal - it's been a source of humor, in fact.  ;)  Sometimes the coincidences are more entertaining than the parodies themselves!

Written By: Just_Brit on 06/03/04 at 9:27 pm

well it's not the main reason. one i just can't seem to focus (which is the main reason) and when i get one finally done, hardly anyone noticed.

but one thing i hate doing is "copies" or "similar" parodies. i just feel bad.

Written By: Rick D on 06/03/04 at 11:49 pm

I felt that way at first also, But with 20,000 on the site, all you can do is be yourself and add to the pile. Don't you think most songs have already been written? They are just by someone you never heard of. The idea is to get it out there where people notice.

Written By: neminem on 06/04/04 at 12:38 am

Believe me, I know exactly what you mean - I have an idea about once a week, and an actual finished parody about once every three-four months. It does get a bit disheartening when I can never seem to finish... but whatever. When I do get one done it gets pretty good reviews, and that's good enough for me. And as for people not noticing it: that's what the contests are for ;-).

Written By: PRobinson on 06/04/04 at 12:56 am

Hey,  a lot you guys are a whole lot nicer than I thought!  Seriously,  keep writing if you enjoy it.  If you're too busy with the other parts of life for extended periods of time, well, I hope they are pleasant, positive, enjoyable things or stuff that moves your life forward.  Write the parodies when you have the time and inclination.  Don't put yourself in a "deadline" situation or frame of mind with them.  Sometimes a break from writing freshens you up to do some really fine work.  I was getting edgy recently because I was near 100 posts and wasn't coming up with anything.  I fiddled with a couple parodies that I suppose were techincally decent but they didn't do anything for me.  I was stuck on 99 and just decided to take a week or so completely away from writing and focus on completing some rather mundane tasks I had been putting off and just kicking back.  I was listening to a new CD I just received and one of the songs sparked an idea I really liked.  I had a bunch of lines already fully written in my head before the track ended.  I thought it was a very good job, but even at that I was very surprised at just how much positive response it drew.    Boy, I sure love to talk about myself, don't I?  But you get the point, right?  Hang in there. 

Check for new replies or respond here...