inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Duplicate ideas emerging independantly...

Written By: Meriadoc on 06/23/04 at 1:20 am

We thought we were absolutely brilliant when we came up with "Every Nose Has its Horn" and worked on it for a couple of weeks, only to discover when I went ot submit it tonight that Jared already did it a year ago! Waaaah!  :\'(

But ours was sufficiently different so I submitted it anyway, as I did not want all that work to go to waste. So my apologies to Jared, but I guess it's not the first time that more than one person had the same idea. (Pach did "Stealing Things from Sears" about a year after we did).

It's late now, but tomorrow Jared, we will look at and vote on yours! :)

Anyone else submit any parodies only to find that it had already been done?  :-[

Subject: Re: Duplicate ideas emerging independantly...

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/23/04 at 10:11 am

Ethan Mawyer posted the following parody of "Kung Fu Fighting" called "Junk Food Fighting" on October 29, 2002:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/carldouglas1.shtml

I posted the following parody of "Kung Fu Fighting" called "Junk Food Fighting", with a top-comment giving Ethan Mawyer full credit for coming up with the idea first, on November 03, 2003

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/carldouglas3.shtml

Kristian posted the following parody of "Kung Fu Fighting" called "Fast Food Fighting" on November 20, 2003 .... Kristian's parody was posted only 17 days after mine, and isn't it amazing how Kristian's parody just accidentally by coincidence looks so similar to mine?  What a coincidence...what an amazing coincidence!

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/ccarldouglas0.shtml

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/23/04 at 11:19 am

I thought my very first parody, Breakfast, was such a good idea.. until I saw that like six other people had already done it :-[

Written By: Jared on 06/23/04 at 12:20 pm

"Listerine" to Bush's "Glycerine"...I sent mine in, then found there were already 3 or 4 other versions of it

And Merry, there's really no need for you or Pippin to apologize, it's interesting, but nothing to be sorry over.  There's no hard feelings on my end of things, and I thought your version was pretty funny, maybe even funnier than mine

Written By: Meriadoc on 06/23/04 at 3:48 pm

"Listerine" to Bush's "Glycerine"...I sent mine in, then found there were already 3 or 4 other versions of it

And Merry, there's really no need for you or Pippin to apologize, it's interesting, but nothing to be sorry over.  There's no hard feelings on my end of things, and I thought your version was pretty funny, maybe even funnier than mine

Thank you Jared! :)

I managed a quick look at our entries today and I see you voted on ours and I appreciate your vote and comments. I have not voted at all today (unbelievably hectic day) and it might be tonight before I get to all of today's entries, but I will definitely check out your version of "Horn" with the rest of today's! :D

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/23/04 at 4:04 pm

Last i read, we collectively have 8 "Scrambled Eggs" ("Yesterday") parodies. ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/25/04 at 3:59 pm

OOPS! Foiled by the lack of the old parody-search-function!

I just submitted, for the next posting, my new parody of "Save Me" called "Somebody Shaved Me"......and then, after submitting "Somebody Shaved Me", I found Klarissa's parody "Shave Me".

Fortunately, our two parodies are very different - Klarissa's is about somebody who is extremely hirsute and who is asking for help shaving-off all their excess body hair, whereas mine is specifically about Michael Rosenbaum losing his hair to play Lex Luthor in "Smallville".

Nevertheless, I want to give credit where credit is due...Klarissa, good job on your parody - here is a link to Klarissa's parody "Shave Me":

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/remyzero0.shtml

Written By: Rick D on 06/25/04 at 6:27 pm

Johnny/Klarissa---This subject is a little hairy for me today. Johnny and I have had many cases of "convergent ideas" as we have had with others here. When it looks like a ripoff, we scream to the rafters or get on MooRocca's messageboard thread about it. But when it happens innocently and independently, I feel it's okay to use that as an excuse to point to a previous parody to show someone else thought of it also, and first. The search is a lot harder now, so many can't research first. None of us are on here for anything but credit where it is due. It was a real shock to me when I came on here that there were other smart alecs who think like I do. I consider this friendly "I did it first" thing like an initiation. I went through it, now the new people should hear about it. Some wise-ass pointed out today that all I care about is plugging my crap, and I resent it. Thoughts?

Written By: jreuben on 06/25/04 at 7:15 pm

Malcolm Higgins did "Do You Really Want To Burp Me" before I did, and someone else did "Bionic" before I did...both were sufficiently different (and I had already written the songs) so I submitted them, leaving a comment on my songs that the previous versions existed (and I left comments/voted on those songs as well).

Written By: Rick D on 06/26/04 at 12:42 pm

Okay, Johnny. I feel I may be wrong in my opinion on this one, and I don't want to come off like an egotistical Chuck. So I'm officially joining you in not plugging my crap anymore by putting links to it. But if someone puts something on that is very close to one I've done, I'm going to put a note on it "It's been done" and let them search. I don't want any more cracks from someone hiding under a code name.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/26/04 at 1:37 pm

Okay, Johnny. I feel I may be wrong in my opinion on this one, and I don't want to come off like an egotistical Chuck. So I'm officially joining you in not plugging my crap anymore by putting links to it. But if someone puts something on that is very close to one I've done, I'm going to put a note on it "It's been done" and let them search. I don't want any more cracks from someone hiding under a code name.

That time recently when somebody - also under a code name - posted a comment saying something like "There goes Johnny D again, plugging his own stuff" - the code name was not "Rain Man" but something different which I don't recall and which I don't particularly care to recall ....... but yeah, I'm sticking with my new policy (that I stated back then) of bagging the intense self-promotion.

But I have NO problem at all with you or anybody else promoting your material in comment-sections ..... I think it's OK and I'm all for it, it's just my own choice to take a break from doing it myself.  I certainly would not post a code-named complaint about anybody plugging their own stuff, especially since I'm such a shameless self-plugger myself!

And I agree with you, Rick - it's probably good to just make a brief notation about a song having already been done.  I did that today with Blessranger's parody of Rocket Man.  Although I did sort of plug my own parody "Rocket Spam" (Oops, I plugged it again....ARRRGH, Britney Spears invaded my BRAIN!).

Written By: Rick D on 06/26/04 at 2:21 pm

Johnny,I just remember when I came on with "Gross to You", one of the first things I posted, Malcolm came on and said "Gee, I wonder where you got that idea from" I think Phil came on and defended me. after that I started researching, and if something was too close, I rewrote it. Later on, Agri came on with his Beatle stuff just like I did and I said "You're the fourth Scrambled Eggs/Yesterday, I was the third. And he went Omigod! And we both moved on. Later you and I started posting things close to each other (I wanted to be the first "Roundabout", you beat me by a day) Now I am one of the big experienced hogs here, (so are you) and I feel that tenure counts for something. If some newbie posts a "Scrambled Eggs" I think we owe it to them as the senior members to let 'em know that they ain't as unique as they think. Sure opened my eyes. And it made my stuff better and more far-reaching. So I don't wish to be compared to Si-mae, like I think I'm the greatest just because I say so. But I reserve the right to talk to you and Phil and Shannon and Paul as I see fit without some Bozo calling me out because I'm too self-promoting. But I will leave the newbies alone. If they care enough to stay, they'll find out.

Written By: neminem on 06/26/04 at 11:19 pm

Well, I'm glad I only got about half of "What's My Name Again" done, because after I got stuck I checked, and that exact idea had already been done 2 or 3 times. I still think mine's the most inspired half-a-parody of that idea so far, though ;D.

Written By: EmiLoca on 06/27/04 at 12:04 pm

Avril Lavigne's "Mountain Dew", back in my infancy stage of parody-writing.  I threw things. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/27/04 at 12:32 pm

It's the spamming of every new parody or of every parody that shows up in the latest comments with the same "yours is great, I think you'd like mine, here's the link" comment that I could do without.

I admit that there've been times when I've done some of that myself, with new parodies of songs that I had parodied in the past ... and I've eased off ... but there was at least one individual sometime in the past year who spammed EVERYBODY with self-promotional comments over and over and over again ... I think they've left, thank goodness.

Written By: MooRocca on 06/27/04 at 3:11 pm

I admit that there've been times when I've done some of that myself, with new parodies of songs that I had parodied in the past ... and I've eased off ... but there was at least one individual sometime in the past year who spammed EVERYBODY with self-promotional comments over and over and over again ... I think they've left, thank goodness.

That one was definitely the worst!  Your promos have never bothered me.  Big difference between what you do and what I'm talking about... starting with the fact that there's at least a chance you've actually read the parodies, before leaving your URLs in the comments.  :)

Written By: EthanM on 06/27/04 at 3:41 pm

i'm 99% sure the spammer in question is around but spamming less... anyway back on topic i submitted parodies called "what's my name again", "no shrub" and "my corona" without realizing that those titles to the same originals were already on the site. I also wrote "froot loops" to "footloose" and found out on my comment thread that the great luke ski had done that professionally (as the first track of a CD) but apparently the two versions were pretty different. i still don't know how his version goes

Written By: Armstrong on 06/28/04 at 8:37 pm

mike and i submitted one early called "welcome to mcdonald's" to the tune of "welcome to the jungle" to find that My Name is Kenny had already done it. they were both good tho...

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/02/04 at 7:41 pm

This thread itself is a duplicate idea that has emerged before:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/parodies/1073378305.shtml

Steven Cavanagh's "Yoda" story is quite humorous.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/03/04 at 2:23 pm

When I first came here, I was very careful to avoid doing anything remotely similar to an existing song but now I don't think I'd let it stop me if it was a song I really liked and was different enough.  Come to think of it, my current SOTM entry "All I Have To Do Is Drink" actually was done before--not on this site but by someone who has songs here.  The only similarity was the title, though (his was about the Bush daughters).

Anyway, I'd hate to think that my getting to an idea first would prevent anyone from adding another great parody to this site so I've never said a word when it's happened to me.   I know that some people take their song rights very seriously and I think it's important to respect that, but at the same time, you don't have to be a richard about it.  A "plug", especially for a song idea you did first, is definitely not a problem for me, and should really come from the person doing the "duplicate" (the way Johnny D does it).

Actually, one of the things I really like about the collaborative parodies is seeing what different writers do with the same parody.  In fact, MooRocca and I have talked about doing an anonymous challenge where people would IM us with their parodies of the same song and we'd vote without knowing who wrote what.  If anyone would be interested in that, speak up and I'll see if she still wants to do it.

Written By: EthanM on 07/03/04 at 6:46 pm

Actually, one of the things I really like about the collaborative parodies is seeing what different writers do with the same parody.  In fact, MooRocca and I have talked about doing an anonymous challenge where people would IM us with their parodies of the same song and we'd vote without knowing who wrote what.  If anyone would be interested in that, speak up and I'll see if she still wants to do it.

i'm not sure how that would work but i'd be willing to try it

Written By: MooRocca on 07/04/04 at 10:59 pm

In fact, MooRocca and I have talked about doing an anonymous challenge where people would IM us with their parodies of the same song and we'd vote without knowing who wrote what.  If anyone would be interested in that, speak up and I'll see if she still wants to do it.

I'm still up for it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...