inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Amiright Awards start up again

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/01/04 at 5:39 pm

well, they seemed to have disappeared.  After I resigned the committee, it all went to hell.....

ok, so I want them to start up again, but the problem is, I still dont have time to do them....so, we need other people to take the responcibility and pick catorgories, nominees, and total votes, and winners, and present the stuff in a nice format. 

so this is the purpose of this post.  Mike will hopefully still be on the committee, but we need other people to join on the committe and do some work.  If you are interested, you can either respond to this post or PM| me.  Ill give you more information

We hope that an awards can come out for the August awards...

Subject: Re: Amiright Awards start up again

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/03/04 at 2:08 pm

One of the things I've noticed about the Amiright Awards is that it looks like a whole TON of work for very few people, and the reward is a vintage case of whine from people who think they should be nominated more.  Perhaps these two problems could cancel each other out by offering nominations to people who are willing to help (I'm not offering right now but depending on the specifics I might be open to the possibility).  I know you don't want to give nominations to "undeserving" songs but the bottom line is the song won't win if it's not good enough.  Just an idea.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/03/04 at 7:47 pm

You think its a lot of work for a "few people" try a whole weeks worth of work for two people (and thats just for the final presentation)

anyway, the problem is, how can you guarenntee that the people who should be nominated are nominated...I always thought it was actully more of an honor to just get nominated than to even win  (sometimes, one song wins numorous catorgories, thus not giving much recognition to the other worthy nominees)....also, all the times Michael and I ran it, 50% of the catorgies were created after we had the songs nominated.  We created the catorgories to fit all the songs (hense such similar catorgories as 'best political parody' and 'best parody about Bush').........

but hey, if it works, and we have a team to research the stuff to make sure there are no faulty entries, and that theres enough for each catorgory, and the team doesnt involve me lol, then we can try it........

but we still need people to run the awards and everything........

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/03/04 at 7:50 pm

oh and Junior should have a say in any changes because he is the founder of the Amiright Awards

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/03/04 at 9:22 pm

All very good points, Billy.  And you would know way better than I would.  I'm just guessing that most people have the attitude of:  "I'm sure glad I'M not doing all that work.  Sure hope I get some nominations though.  Wonder what's takin' em so long?"  I know I do.  Seriously, the last Amirights were tons of fun for me and very little work.  No work, really.  It was great.  But as you know, in situations like these, it's always the first ones to step up who get stuck with all the work, so I'm not about to volunteer.  It just struck me that it may help to offer a little incentive.  It may be a dumb idea, but if no one else steps up, I'd rather see the awards not happen at all than one or two people get shafted with all the work again.

Written By: EthanM on 07/04/04 at 5:35 pm

how about pick three trustworthy people who are willing to put in a significant amount of effort and make them the amiright awarrds committee. Then to make it easier on those three people everyone can send them up to 5 songs through private message that they have written over the course of the past year or so (it would help if we could get the date a parody was submitted available again that disappeared along with voting results) and that way there would just be a few  hundred to review instead of ten thousand. (an impossible task even if you have absolutely nothing else to do whatsoever)
      Maybe instead of a committee doing everything it might be easier to have one person organize the suggestions into categories and have a small committe of people ready to find other songs in the site to fill in categories that don't have enough entries. I could try to take the 5 suggestions from everyone but if i do that someone else would have to run the ABCs competition for a while or it would wait until the submissions are over. And members for the committe on extra song finding would all get their own "Best of" category

Written By: EthanM on 07/04/04 at 5:38 pm

but the votes would still be sent to the florios at amirightawards@yahoo.com (i think that's it) and with this plan billy florio is still in charge of the awards ceremony

Written By: jreuben on 07/04/04 at 5:54 pm

Random thought, there are a ton of songs daily now, it would be pretty tough to go through all of them for nominations.  Maybe have the organizers pick 10 or 58 categories, then have the authors nominate songs (either their own or others)?  Maybe have the organizers pick the five for "song of the year", "writer of the year", "breakthrough artist", but let people submit to "Best song about Bodyparts"

Just a thought.

Written By: EthanM on 07/04/04 at 6:09 pm

I think some categories should be announced beforehand so people can suggest their own songs accordingly but some categories should be based on the submissions. And i agree song of the year should be picked by some sort of committee paying no attention to suggestions by the authors

Written By: philbo on 07/05/04 at 9:33 am

Must admit that the "breakthrough artist" category is going to be particularly hard to pick a winner this time - there are a shedload of excellent breakthroughs since last awards...

Written By: STG on 07/05/04 at 1:03 pm

;D
Well, I remember when I won the first award for being Me. Even if I'm not nominated I would like to perform, because this year S.T.G. has new songs coming out.

Written By: Armstrong on 07/06/04 at 6:08 pm

I volunteer my services to write up the final presentation. That was always my favorite part... and I can promise it will be thoroughly entertaining.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/06/04 at 8:10 pm

I like the ideas that are comeing about here....

this may actully work out after all lol

and hey, Jordon, you want the job, you can have it lol

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 07/06/04 at 8:21 pm

I'll submit myself to do something, I dunno what but if u need help I can try to help these awards happen.

Written By: EthanM on 07/06/04 at 8:28 pm

I'll submit myself to do something, I dunno what but if u need help I can try to help these awards happen.

if billy lets me run the nominations process then  i'll definitely find something for you to do... and you'd get a "best blo-town" song category as a reward 

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/07/04 at 2:20 am

Ethan you can be a part of nominations, but i doubt you want to do it yourself..youll probably need help

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 07/07/04 at 12:27 pm

if billy lets me run the nominations process then  i'll definitely find something for you to do... and you'd get a "best blo-town" song category as a reward 

"best blo-town song category", sounds good but I think it already exists as best Amright parody  ;D

ZZZZZZINGER 8)

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/30/04 at 8:53 pm

if people want to do this before the end of August, they best get started now....I beleive certain people have volunteered to do things.....if you guys want it, you got it.....talk to each other......if you need advice from me, Im here, but I dont have time to do major work

Written By: EthanM on 07/31/04 at 7:47 am

i realized i don't really have time to do major work either... sorry. :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...