inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short grammar question

Written By: K1chyd on 07/14/04 at 12:48 am

A grammar question from this non-native: If i write ”3 sets of number 5 votes for a song” will you interpret that as ”3 x 5”, or can it be read as ”3 x (5+5)”?

//  Peter

Subject: Re: Short grammar question

Written By: philbo on 07/14/04 at 5:08 am

"3 sets of 5 votes" would imply one set of five three times over (in the case of amiright parodies, that would imply you'd voted 5-5-5 three times over)

Written By: K1chyd on 07/14/04 at 10:00 am

Thanx Phil. I had that "something´s-not-completely-right-here-but-I-can´t-put-my-finger-on-what"-feeling about that line.

It´s for an upcoming parody of course. Luckily I have alternative lines, or at least I think so...

//  Peter

Written By: MooRocca on 07/14/04 at 11:24 am

A grammar question from this non-native: If i write ”3 sets of number 5 votes for a song” will you interpret that as ”3 x 5”, or can it be read as ”3 x (5+5)”?

//  Peter

I interpret a single *set* of number five votes as a single voter giving a parody three 5s. 
So, as I read it,  3 sets = 3(5,5,5)  Three voters each giving a parody triple fives.   
For me, the word "set" makes the difference.  If you'd said "clicks" instead of "sets," I would have read it as Phil does. 

Written By: K1chyd on 07/14/04 at 2:55 pm

Thanx MooRocca! I wasn´t sure so I decided to ask and to hold on to the parody I was working on, had the feeling it wasn´t quite right but I´ve found a way (a couple of ways actually) to work around that problem now.

The parody´s just been posted so it will probably be up tomorrow. I think that it´s one of my best so far so look out for it. (But on the other hand I almost always feel that way about a song right after I finished it, I definitely did with "Driving my Ford from Henry / Being a driving malice" that is up today. :-)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/smokie2.shtml

Anyway, tomorrow´s pun spree is named "(These Are The Guidelines If You Want) A Threesome Of Numero 5 For A Song". Grammar´s still a bit odd as you can see, but working the word "threesome" into a title can never be totally wrong, now can it? :-)

//  Peter

Written By: K1chyd on 07/15/04 at 11:16 am

Anyway, tomorrow´s pun spree is named "(These Are The Guidelines If You Want) A Threesome Of Numero 5 For A Song". Grammar´s still a bit odd as you can see, but working the word "threesome" into a title can never be totally wrong, now can it? :-)

Here´s the link:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional527.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...