inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's With the Votes??

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/22/04 at 2:14 pm

Have people always been this hung up on votes? ??? All I hear about is "How come nobody votes on my parody", "why don't you comment", "excuse me, why did you leave a comment and not vote?"  I think it's great that we get and give votes and everything; I love looking at my ratings and feedback, but it seems like people are writing just for the sole purpose of getting votes.  If that's the case, your parody probably doesn't deserve to be voted on, anyway.

Just wondering. ???

Subject: Re: What's With the Votes??

Written By: Arwen on 07/22/04 at 2:58 pm

Speaking only for myself here...but I submit on the site because I think people will enjoy my parodies.  I've been writing parodies for years and years...and still write pieces today that, for whatever reason, don't get submitted...but if I put them out there, I obviously want people to read them.

With that in mind...I kind of use the votes to tell how many people have READ my work.  I know that lots of people will read without voting or commenting...so...it's not all that accurate...but I do it anyway.

I don't generally give people grief if they want to comment and not vote...(although I HAVE yelled at Mister Pacholek for it a time or two, just because he needs someone to be ornery back to him sometimes)...

I love comments...if a person is only going to do one or the other...I'd rather they leave a comment and no vote than vice versa...but that's just me... :)

Written By: MooRocca on 07/22/04 at 3:12 pm

Have people always been this hung up on votes? ??? All I hear about is "How come nobody votes on my parody", "why don't you comment", "excuse me, why did you leave a comment and not vote?"  I think it's great that we get and give votes and everything; I love looking at my ratings and feedback, but it seems like people are writing just for the sole purpose of getting votes.  If that's the case, your parody probably doesn't deserve to be voted on, anyway.

Just wondering. ???

There's a myth going around that the votes are a popularity contest:  The more votes you get, the more people love you, but the fewer votes you get, the more they hate you.  

I know it's just a myth because I, myself, am deeply loved and cherished, almost to the point of worship by everyone who visits the site -- I wouldn't be surprised if a cult sprang up around me -- but thanks to that whole "I am not worthy to vote on such awesome greatness oh perfect one" mentality, even at the height of MooRocca-mania (and let's face it, the dawning of each new day brings MooRocca-mania to a new and dizzying height,) I've never gotten the 20 or 30 initial votes that some people get (or got back when we had the top tens and could see at a glance how many the top vote getters fetched, anyway.)

OW, OW, OW, OW!!!   ....Mmmm... tomatoes!  Yum!!  See what I mean?  I speak and they shower me with free food...amazing, isn't it?  

;D   ;D  ;D

(For anyone who took the above seriously, I am SOOOOOOOOO totally joking!!!!!)

Written By: EthanM on 07/22/04 at 3:46 pm

it's too bad the page views counter that ChuckyG tried didn't seem to work well enough to keep it

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/22/04 at 5:26 pm

There's a myth going around that the votes are a popularity contest:  The more votes you get, the more people love you, but the fewer votes you get, the more they hate you.  

I know it's just a myth because I, myself, am deeply loved and cherished, almost to the point of worship by everyone who visits the site -- I wouldn't be surprised if a cult sprang up around me -- but thanks to that whole "I am not worthy to vote on such awesome greatness oh perfect one" mentality, even at the height of MooRocca-mania (and let's face it, the dawning of each new day brings MooRocca-mania to a new and dizzying height,) I've never gotten the 20 or 30 initial votes that some people get (or got back when we had the top tens and could see at a glance how many the top vote getters fetched, anyway.)

OW, OW, OW, OW!!!   ....Mmmm... tomatoes!  Yum!!  See what I mean?  I speak and they shower me with free food...amazing, isn't it?  

;D   ;D  ;D

;D I love you, MooRocca.

As far as the voting goes, of course people like to feel loved and special.  It's human nature.  But I seriously doubt that too many people write parodies just to get votes.  I think that the majority of people do it for their own enjoyment as much as anyone elses...

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/22/04 at 5:58 pm

On this issue I say that this site offers the function of voting and commenting whereas other sites may just stick up your song.
When submitting a parody you would like to get some idea of how humorous/well written it is and feedback also helps you improve your writing.
I now grab a chain in my bathtub and pull up a shameless plug for a parody I did a few weeks back:
'I'm Pleadin': Jot A Comment' to 'I'm Cleanin' Out My Closet'.
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/eminem151.shtml

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/22/04 at 7:23 pm

;D   ;D  ;D

wait, you were joking about that cult idea?  Great, does this mean I have to return the matching jumpsuits and Nikes?

Written By: MooRocca on 07/22/04 at 11:19 pm

Ashkicksass, I love you too! 

wait, you were joking about that cult idea?  Great, does this mean I have to return the matching jumpsuits and Nikes?

Oh, goodness no... that part about the cult was real.  I was joking about the tomatoes being yummy.  By the time my adoring followers worked up enough confidence to think their tomatoes worthy of me, the tomatoes had turned...  that seems to happen a lot.  It's the thought that counts, though, so I try to make light of it and just accept their gifts of rotten produce and assorted entrails in the loving spirit in which they were bestowed with such great vigor and remarkably good aim. 

;D

(I should probably stop before somebody tracks me down and pelts me for real, shouldn't I?)

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/23/04 at 8:46 am

The problem with the votes/commnets thing I have found is that before I came across this great website I used to sit quietly by myself writing lots of parodies which I did for  a number of reasons ..

to amuse myself,

to  amuse friends and audiences at reviews;

to keep my brain going;

generally as  a creative/musical outlet;

as a vehicle to develop  singing technique

to make technical legal points more accessible and entertaining for my students

above all I was stealing other peoples tunes cos I only played sax and not a chord instrument.....which makes it hard to write your own tunes..and because one can easily access backing tracks to use for performances (which is an  economic necessity when live musicians cost so much!)

But since finding this site I have hardly written anything .. because I spend too much time looking at the huge and amazing supply of parodies on the site ... voting and commenting on other songs .. all the bits of time that I used to use for writing!

Also I worry a bit that if I start to write a parody now  that I would be subconsciously trying to  write it in a way that miight win votes on the site ... totally inhibiting!!

I think I may have to give up Amiright!!!

Written By: philbo on 07/23/04 at 4:37 pm

Also I worry a bit that if I start to write a parody now  that I would be subconsciously trying to  write it in a way that miight win votes on the site ... totally inhibiting!!

Who said anything about subconsciously? ;)

(in a fake Germanic Sigmund Freud accent): You must qvit today

...I was thinking when I heard that one that it would make an amusing rewrite with an amiright theme

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/24/04 at 4:31 pm

go for it Phil!

Written By: PRobinson on 07/25/04 at 10:58 am

Martha,  hmmm...same reasons that I had, except the thing about your students.  I have none so that does not apply...The only real downside I've run into has been spending too much time "grazing" on the site.  I've forced myself to stay away a bit so as not to get too immersed.  What results from this "over-immersion" is that I found that the only things I was writing (or even thinking about) were song parodies.  Don't get me wrong,  I  truly love writing them as well as reading and commenting on the other Author's works, but I also enjoy other types of writing, even though they do not come anywhere near as easily to me as parodies seem to. A recent period of time I spent house-sitting for a friend who does not have a PC also gave me a bit of distance for a while.  Anyway,  I did work on and actually complete some non-parody pieces whilst house-sitting so it appears that I am at least still able to do so.

P.S. - hope you don't quit the site. 

Paul R.

The problem with the votes/commnets thing I have found is that before I came across this great website I used to sit quietly by myself writing lots of parodies which I did for  a number of reasons ..

to amuse myself,

to  amuse friends and audiences at reviews;

to keep my brain going;

generally as  a creative/musical outlet;

as a vehicle to develop  singing technique

to make technical legal points more accessible and entertaining for my students

above all I was stealing other peoples tunes cos I only played sax and not a chord instrument.....which makes it hard to write your own tunes..and because one can easily access backing tracks to use for performances (which is an  economic necessity when live musicians cost so much!)

But since finding this site I have hardly written anything .. because I spend too much time looking at the huge and amazing supply of parodies on the site ... voting and commenting on other songs .. all the bits of time that I used to use for writing!

Written By: marthadtox3 on 07/25/04 at 4:54 pm

No Paul I guess i won't give it up but I will try to cut down .. it is soooo addictive!

Thanks for the comment!

Written By: meow78223 on 07/26/04 at 7:22 pm

I think the vote totals (mine certainly have gone down) may have to do with how many people happen to visit the site. I think overall readership is down from a few months ago.

MM

Check for new replies or respond here...