inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NYC Authors Meet: August 13 (Friday the 13th)

Written By: 2nz on 07/25/04 at 8:15 am

You heard right, sports fans. An August 13th meeting of parody authors is scheduled. The place is listed below and I'll be there starting at around 7pm, unless someone else is planning on coming earlier. If you're in the area, feel free to stop by. Mostly it's just a meet, greet and hang out for everyone in the New York area who wants to meet the people behind the ''''''music''''''. Come on down, why don't ya? If you want a guide as to what I look like so it will be easier to find me, I posted a bunch of picture of myself on the sixth page of the 'parody authors photo thread' in the same section as this post, meaning it is also a topic in the 'Song Parodies' grouping on this forum. If you're more confused now than you were before, welcome to the club and even so feel free to stop in. I hope to see you there. Ciao

-Glen Stollberger (aka 2nz)

P.S. (Directions provided by Robert J. Pagliaro)

Caliente Cab Co.
21 Waverly Place
(corner of Greene St.)
New York, NY
(212) 529-1500

(THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH THE CALIENTE CAB CO. ON 7TH AVENUE SOUTH). 

From Penn Station:  E, A or C train to West Fourth Street and walk east through the north end of the park.  Or, R train to 8th Street and walk two blocks west.

From Grand Central:  6 Train to Astor Place and walk west a few blocks.

From NJ:  Fly from Newark to Albany, take Amtrak to Grand Central and follow directions above.

Subject: Re: NYC Authors Meet: August 13 (Friday the 13th)

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/25/04 at 5:31 pm

I think there might be better directions from Jersey

Written By: EthanM on 07/25/04 at 8:17 pm

I think there might be better directions from Jersey

yeah like taking nj transit or amtrak or whatever from jersey to penn station... maybe 2nz's family gets money whenever people fly from newark to albany (if i used smiley faces i'd put one in here now)

Written By: Phil Nelson on 07/26/04 at 1:04 am

Yeah, I agree.  I used to live in Jersey, and always drove into the city.  Why would you ever bother flying to Albany?

Written By: bobbypags on 07/26/04 at 9:03 am

Fellas, relax - the plane from NJ to Albany was supposed to be a joke.  Come on, people commute from the Threft state everyday into Manhattan.

Written By: neminem on 07/28/04 at 1:13 am

*grumbles a bit about living on the exact opposite side of the country*

Written By: bobbypags on 08/05/04 at 10:06 am

Is this still happening?

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 10:09 am

*grumbles a bit about living on the exact opposite side of the country*

I'm with you, nem... >:(

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/05/04 at 10:19 am

you should try organizing one on the west coast.

Written By: Leo Jay on 08/05/04 at 10:20 am

Why don't you guys do a West Coast thing?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/05/04 at 10:28 am

great minds think alike... there was like 30 seconds seperating those posts...

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 10:56 am

Except for the fact that I'm actually in WYOMING!!!   >:( :\'( >:(

I'm screwed either way.  But Spaff, Ashkicksass and I are totally planning a get together if I ever get my sorry a** back down to Utah...

Then who's gonna be jealous, huh?  ;)

Written By: bobbypags on 08/05/04 at 12:08 pm

But you can't drink beer in Utah.

Written By: 2nz on 08/05/04 at 12:15 pm

Is this still happening?

Yes, this (Friday the 13th meeting) is still happening. It would have been better if the news item stayed on the front page for a bit longer, but the plans are still set.

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 12:19 pm

But you can't drink beer in Utah.

Actually, you can.  It's a well kept secret...

But I don't drink...so it's a bit moot... :)

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 12:50 pm

So you're a teetotally cool babe?   ;)

I'm a walking bundle of clumsiness...albeit a HOT AS HELL bundle of clumsiness.  I am also naturally very loud, and am not afraid to make a total fool of myself on the dance floor. 

Why bother drinking when everyone thinks I'm already drunk anyway...?  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/04 at 1:30 pm

Hey, I'm with ya: all the fun... and none of the DUIs, hangovers, bloodshot eyes, headaches, liver disease... oh wait -- there I go being a killjoy again...

Don't forget inexplicable bruises the next morning.  Or is that just me?

And yes, bobbypags, you can drink beer in Utah.  You can also drive your covered wagon at speeds up to 35 mph, and wear saucy red bonnets on holidays...

Anyway, does anyone else want to come and kick it with me, Spaff, and Arwen?

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 2:12 pm

There I go being a killjoy again...

Killjoy!!!  That is one of my all time favorite words!!!  You ROCK!!!

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 2:12 pm

Don't forget inexplicable bruises the next morning.  Or is that just me?

That's me EVERY morning, Ash...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/04 at 2:44 pm

You guys crack me up.

Honey!  Thank you for changing my name like that!  Aren't you sweet.  But I wasn't kidding.  Our oxen can't run any faster than that...

Guys, we better be careful, because I have a feeling that we're about to get busted by the topic police.  I think I'll start a new thread called "Arwen, CooLEO, and Asshkicksasses Fun Time Go Ahead and Get Off Topic Best Pal Thread."  That way we can just entertain each other all day long...

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 3:01 pm

Honey!  Thank you for changing my name like that!  Aren't you sweet.  But I wasn't kidding.  Our oxen can't run any faster than that...

Guys, we better be careful, because I have a feeling that we're about to get busted by the topic police.  I think I'll start a new thread called "Arwen, CooLEO, and Asshkicksasses Fun Time Go Ahead and Get Off Topic Best Pal Thread."  That way we can just entertain each other all day long...

I'm down...but only if we get to entertain each other "all the live long day." 

I'm particular that way.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/04 at 3:14 pm

I'm down...but only if we get to entertain each other "all the live long day." 

I'm particular that way.

Are you making fun of me?

You know what's funny?  I had "all the live long day," and I deleted it because I knew you would give me a hard time for it!

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 3:17 pm

Are you making fun of me?

You know what's funny?  I had "all the live long day," and I deleted it because I knew you would give me a hard time for it!

I LOVE the phrase "all the live long day!!"  As much as I love "Killjoy."  Now let's really start our own thread before the New Yorkers get pissed at us!

HAVE FUN New Yorkers who are meeting this weekend.  Have a great time!  We're so happy for you!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/04 at 3:45 pm

I LOVE the phrase "all the live long day!!"  As much as I love "Killjoy."  Now let's really start our own thread before the New Yorkers get ticked at us!

HAVE FUN New Yorkers who are meeting this weekend.  Have a great time!  We're so happy for you!

Yeah, we really are.  Give each other kisses from us!

And if you want to come and play, we now have our very own thread called "The Only Thread That Matters." 

Written By: bobbypags on 08/05/04 at 4:34 pm

Arwen:
You're screwing us up - it's next weekend.  Gotcha on the Utah beer, did you guys get indoor plumbing yet?  Actually, I think I had a beer last week that was brewed in Utah, but I forget the name.
Just to unscrew what Arwen screwed up:

The NYC meeting will be on Friday, Aug. 13 at Caliente Cab Co. near NYU - not the one on 7th Ave. South - unless we don't like you, then you can go to 7th Ave. South.

Written By: Arwen on 08/05/04 at 4:40 pm

Arwen:
You're screwing us up - it's next weekend.  Gotcha on the Utah beer, did you guys get indoor plumbing yet?  Actually, I think I had a beer last week that was brewed in Utah, but I forget the name.
Just to unscrew what Arwen screwed up:

The NYC meeting will be on Friday, Aug. 13 at Caliente Cab Co. near NYU - not the one on 7th Ave. South - unless we don't like you, then you can go to 7th Ave. South.

I wasn't talking to YOU...um...yeah...I was talking to the millions of OTHER New Yorkers who happen to be meeting THIS weekend...having nothing to do with this site... ??? 

Sheesh... ;)

Written By: bobbypags on 08/06/04 at 9:14 am

Um, like Arwen, um, no New Yorkers are meeting this weekend.  Because of old information put out by the administration, all New Yorkers are required to stay in doors for the weekend.

Written By: Arwen on 08/06/04 at 9:24 am

Um, like Arwen, um, no New Yorkers are meeting this weekend.  Because of old information put out by the administration, all New Yorkers are required to stay in doors for the weekend.

Are you serious?  Whoa...hey wait...

Liar!  You are just trying to make me look stupid!  ;)

Written By: bobbypags on 08/06/04 at 9:46 am

No, it's true - something about the Patriot Acts - we're all under house arrest here.

Written By: Arwen on 08/06/04 at 9:51 am

No, it's true - something about the Patriot Acts - we're all under house arrest here.

Oh great...and I was going to come and surprise you all!  >:(

Written By: bobbypags on 08/06/04 at 10:03 am

Tourists and visitors are allowed out, it's just New Yorkers who must stay inside.  Now, if you do come, remember that you can only get to the base of the Statue of Liberty - they're still not letting people up in the crown.  Watch out for the cops with the machine guns on the eastside of midtown Manhattan.  And, if you're coming to protest the GOP convention, you have to protest from New Jersey. 

Written By: bobbypags on 08/09/04 at 11:47 am

2nz:
Do we have any idea who will be attending this event?  Or, is it just you, me and Kimba T. Dogg?
bob

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/09/04 at 2:14 pm

ill be there and I might bring fellow parody author Keith Kamer

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/09/04 at 2:18 pm

<official party pooper>

With the date getting closer, let's keep the posts in this thread on topic so people don't have to read a lot of stuff if they're interested in showing up.

Since NYC is within the boundries of a day trip, I considered it, but with my impending nuptials coming up so quick on me, and so much stuff needing to be done, it's just not practical for me.

Written By: EthanM on 08/09/04 at 2:24 pm

i want to come... do we have any idea how long this is going to last since i'm going to need to figure out how to get home

Written By: 2nz on 08/09/04 at 2:40 pm

Our meet will begin around 6:30 pm at the Caliente (for directions see the beginning of the thread or ask myself or Bob with either on this thread or with a private message). I'll be there between 5pm and 6pm depending on the LIRR schedule. I could help anyone who is coming from Long Island with their travel planning.

By my count it is myself, Bob, Ethan, Billy, and Kimba T. Dogg so far. Anyone else who is interested, it would be helpful to respond on this thread, especially if you need help with the directions. Remember, the more, the merrier so feel free to stop by, even if it's just for an hour or so. I'm not sure when we were going to 'finish' our 'meeting' but I assumed we would just meet and talk until we had to go back to our everyday lives or we got tired.

Written By: bobbypags on 08/09/04 at 3:14 pm

I think Chuck should chuck the marriage thing and show up.
Ethan, where are you coming from - Poughkeepsie?  (find out the last train or bus).
Arwen can't come.

I probably won't be able to get there until about 8:00p (at the latest) - gotta walk Kimba.  I'll try to get there at 7p, but just in case. 

Written By: bobbypags on 08/10/04 at 11:55 am

Again, that address is:

Caliente Cab Co.
21 Waverly Place
(corner of Greene St.)
New York, NY
(212) 529-1500

(DO NOT GOT TO THE CALIENTE CAB CO. ON 7TH AVENUE SOUTH). 

From Penn Station:  E, A or C (any) train to West Fourth Street and walk east through the north end of the park.  Or, R train to 8th Street and walk approx. two blocks west.

From Grand Central:  6 Train to Astor Place and walk west a few blocks.

From NJ:  Fly from Newark to Albany, take Amtrak to Grand Central and follow directions above.

The two surrounding "landmarks" would be:  Astor Place to the East and Washington Square Park to the Southwest - If you can get to either of these places, you can get to Caliente Cab Co. (I believe half-price drinks until 7:00PM).

Enjoy.
bob

Written By: bobbypags on 08/12/04 at 11:12 am

2nz:
I'm assuming we're still a go for tomorrow night?  I've taken the day off and will be able to make it to Caliente between 6p-6:30p. 
Let me know what's up.
thanks,
bob

Written By: EthanM on 08/12/04 at 11:27 am

do they serve dinner at the caliente cab company or should i eat beforehand? i'll try to get there around 6-630 too

Written By: bobbypags on 08/12/04 at 1:27 pm

You can get Mexican food, burgers, bar food (chicken fingers etc.).  There's probably a menu on the Internet.  It's a bar/restaurant with an entire wall of big screen tvs.  I believe there's a Happy Hour until 7:00pm, but it shouldn't get overly crowded.

Written By: 2nz on 08/12/04 at 2:00 pm

Bob and everyone else who this be concerning,
Yes, we are still go for our scheduled meeting in NYC. Incidentally, how did a lazy bum like myself get put in charge of giving the affirmative on this kind of stuff? I'll be there, that I can guarantee. And we'll all have some fun meeting each other and hanging out in the city. Also, anyone who still needs help with directions and travel arrangements should have asked for help already, but if you still need help, post it on this thread and someone will try to help you. Don't expect to get help on Friday though. I know I'll be busy before I take the train into the city, so I won't be around to help with directions. I'll see all you crazy kids there.
-Glen Stollberger (aka 2nz)

Written By: jreuben on 08/13/04 at 9:32 am

Have fun tonight!  Sorry I can't make it up.  I'll try to make the next one (if there is a next one).

-Jeff

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/13/04 at 1:21 pm

Keith Kamer and I will be there around 6:30-7

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/13/04 at 1:29 pm

http://calientecab.com/

thats the places website with a good picture of it if anyone wants to know....I didnt think I knew what place this was untill I looked at the pic...now I think I know exactly where it is......

I just thought, how are we gonna know who each other is?  How will we know when each other get there?  Do we have a reserved table? Maybe we should post pics? 

Well, my pics in the photo thread on the PPP board.  (Somewhere there).  Hopefully well notice each other.

Ill be wearing a black leather jacket.  I suggest someone wears a pink Carnation lol

Written By: EthanM on 08/13/04 at 2:00 pm

http://calientecab.com/

thats the places website with a good picture of it if anyone wants to know....I didnt think I knew what place this was untill I looked at the pic...now I think I know exactly where it is......

I just thought, how are we gonna know who each other is?  How will we know when each other get there?  Do we have a reserved table? Maybe we should post pics? 

Well, my pics in the photo thread on the PPP board.  (Somewhere there).  Hopefully well notice each other.

Ill be wearing a black leather jacket.  I suggest someone wears a pink Carnation lol

you've also got your picture right by your post... my picture is near the end of the parody authors picture thread and i'll be wearing a blue (maybe bluish-green) shirt and khaki shorts unless some bizarre accident happens within the next couple of hours and i have to change. And i might brink a Franklin and marshall college cross country sweatshirt in case it rains then i shouldn't be hard to find at all

Written By: 2nz on 08/13/04 at 2:24 pm

I posted four pictures on page 6 or 7 of the photo thread.

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/13/04 at 3:40 pm

you've also got your picture right by your post...

lol, oh yeah {Billy laughs at his own stupidity}

I wont have the smilie faced ball today though

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/13/04 at 5:48 pm

Drat! A whole tableful of cute, clever, witty young men..... and I'm not there......! Waaaah!  :\'(

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/13/04 at 10:17 pm

I wasn't there physically... but in spirit... I got whatfreaks all up and running properly tonight... just like amiright for the parodies now.  Just don't tell my fiance I wasn't painting >shhh<

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/14/04 at 12:00 am

weve got pictures (or one pic lol)....2nz's got a copy on his digital and I have one on my disposable.  Hopefully Glen can post his copy soon, cause I have to fill up my camera before I can scan mine in........

Everyone who wasnt there, you dont know what you missed.....or maybe you do.  I dont know, I cant read minds. 

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/17/04 at 9:08 pm

So let's hear the frickin' meeting minutes already. Did the blue-state Bobby and the red-state Billy get into a brawl? Did 2nz "accidentally" slip in some Italianisms? Did Ethan "accidentally" slip in some karaoke?

And please tell me someone took pictures.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: 2nz on 08/17/04 at 10:28 pm

Things got hot at Caliente!!! Just a couple of guys, separated at birth, reunited in prison, who all broke out together and are trying to make it in this crazy world. Oh and they all write parodies now and met up in the city recently. We had some beers and shot the breeze for the most part: What's up with that 'Merry and Pippin' thing? It turns out Billy is the most interesting person I've ever met this month. Bob and myself split his newspaper and other assorted articles. It was unanimous that we should do this again, so we'll start planning the next one soon (Oh bother, more planning).

The photo below contains, in clockwise order starting at the right: Myself, Billy (Florio), Bob (J Pagliano), Ethan (Mawyer), and Billy's friend (wait, you don't know his name? HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW HIS NAME? You have FAILED at collecting the necessary facts to post these pictures. Just pray that he accepts your apology and that no one else notices. Numbskull...). Anyways, sorry about missing his name. My alter-ego loves to yell if that weren't apparent already. Anyhow, here's the picture.

Written By: 2nz on 08/17/04 at 10:31 pm

There be this picture too. Left to right, it's: Bob, Ethan, Billy, and umm... (You're just making it worse. Numbskull...). Sorry again. Here's the photo:

Written By: 2nz on 08/17/04 at 10:36 pm

I would have posted these sooner, but I had some extra misadventures after we met at Caliente. Bob and myself wandered down through Little Italy and rejected some late night paper-hander-outers, then I was beaten senseless... at video games in CTF (ChinaTownFair), followed by me just missing the last train out of Jamaica and having to wait 3.5 hours for the next one. Long story short, I didn't get to bed until about 9 am the next morning. All in all, it was a pretty good Friday night  ;D. And rest assured that I'm only being sarcastic about the train-ride home, or lack of in this case.

Written By: PRobinson on 08/17/04 at 11:36 pm

New Yorkers:  I was reading this thread about your meeting and when I got to the part about the pictures I was reminded of the 'West Coast' amiright convergenge in San Jose back in January.  NOBODY thought to ask what anybody else looked like.  So I wrote a parody.  It was too inside to post for general readership, but I sent Rick & Mari D a copy.  You might enjoy it.

Original Song - “Abraham, Martin & John” by Dion
Parody - “Parody Writer’s At Espresso Gardens” by Paul Robinson
Ah, ParodyWriter’s...a unique group; so very bright...sharp,  witty, intelligent...So why do they seem to lack certain common sense  attributes that most folks seem to instinctively have? Five of us who had never actually met before were going to get together and NOT ONE asked or  told the others what they looked like. I had only seen a hazy picture of RAD & MAD on their Website. A few weeks later I was taking a non-parodying writing friend to the airport for his vacation and was going to pick him up on his return. He said, “I’ll be wearing this same yellow polo shirt on my return, it will help you spot me.” I go, “WOW! What a great idea.”, and he looked at me like I was an idiot from a different Universe. Anyway...to Parody Writer’s and their “Special Mindset”...

Has anybody here seen my new friend Paul? 
Seems he’s running a bit late 
He’s probably about our age, but he might have a beard 
They glared at me like I was weird 

Anybody here seen this girl named Leah? 
She was going to meet us here
We’re not sure what she looks like, but she’s younger than us 
They looked at me with disgust. 

(Brief musical/Organ interlude)

Anybody here seen this guy named Bob?
He might carry a guitar 
He’s possibly Hispanic, but we don’t really know 
These folks said they had to go

Why didn’t we ask we they might look like?
Couldn’t they ask where they might see us ?
You and me 
Guess we’ll see 
Oh, what the hey,
I guess they’ll find their way 

Say you folks over there, are you “RAD” and “MAD”?
I’m supposed to meet them here 
You look a little like them, they just stared at me strange 
Guess they thought I was deranged 

Written By: 2nz on 08/18/04 at 1:08 am

Cool parody, Paul. Yeah, it went something like that for us, too. I said I'd get there between 5 and 6, so naturally, I got there at 6:30 (Thanks public transportation, and good planning skills  ;)). There was this one guy standing outside pondering reality and getting rained on. We both stood outside for a little while, giving each other odd looks and wondering where the "AMIRIGHT PEOPLE MEET HERE" sign would be. We figured out who we were before long, turns out it was Ethan, and blah blah blah. At one point, I mentioned Bob and Ethan mentioned Bob's dog, Kimba. Just then, some stranger who had been smoking a cigarette at the corner for the past few minutes turned and walked up to us. Turns out it was Bob, and blah blah blah. Anyhow...

Moral of the story: There is no sign Kind of like There is no spoon only no high-budget movie or copyright laws. Although it turns out Bob has some pretty interesting copyright stories...

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/18/04 at 1:52 am

It turns out Billy is the most interesting person I've ever met this month.

If I werent really drunk right now, Id reply to this with a witty comment...lol...anyway, thanks

The photo below contains, in clockwise order starting at the right: Myself, Billy (Florio), Bob (J Pagliano), Ethan (Mawyer), and Billy's friend (wait, you don't know his name? HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW HIS NAME? You have FAILED at collecting the necessary facts to post these pictures. Just pray that he accepts your apology and that no one else notices. Numbskull...).

His name is KEITH KAMER and he's a fellow parody writer.....He wrote duets with me on three songs: "A day at Mcdonalds" (Winner of the first amiright awards best mcdonalds parody), "Dirty" and "R Kelly's Rationalization (I beleive she's 18)" (Winner of some award..I think best duet)

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/18/04 at 2:57 am

of course 2nz forgot one of the pics  ::)...this is from when we visited the set of the new Woody Allen film.....

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/18/04 at 2:58 am

yeah, I stink in photoshop

Written By: bobbypags on 08/18/04 at 11:54 am

I knew I was there - that's me, the old guy.  It was a lot of fun meeting the crew (all equipped with fake ID's). 

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/18/04 at 12:46 pm

of course 2nz forgot one of the pics   ::)...this is from when we visited the set of the new Woody Allen film.....

wow, I really was drunk when I did this...look at those cut lines....dang

Written By: PRobinson on 08/18/04 at 5:07 pm

Well, sounds like you all had a great time and are still alive and kicking and recovered from hangovers and possible alcohol poisoning at this point.  So it looks like more "amiright" Author meetings are in order...

Check for new replies or respond here...