inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chucky - a request for a child board

Written By: philbo on 07/26/04 at 12:48 pm

..or maybe two:

Would you be able to create a couple of "song parody" child boards
Parodies by Subject
and maybe:
Parodies by Artist (or by genre)

(though the latter is served already on amiright, I guess)

It was seeing a comment of JDs in which he listed his various Star Wars parodies that made me think "it would be kind of good to have a place to put all the Star Wars parodies together" - the normal messageboard would be OK, but they'd drop off the bottom if nobody did a SW parody for the next few days or weeks.  But the concept of child boards seems tailor-made for this sort of idea...

Thanks

Phil

Subject: Re: Chucky - a request for a child board

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/26/04 at 3:40 pm

..or maybe two:

Would you be able to create a couple of "song parody" child boards
Parodies by Subject
and maybe:
Parodies by Artist (or by genre)

(though the latter is served already on amiright, I guess)

It was seeing a comment of JDs in which he listed his various Star Wars parodies that made me think "it would be kind of good to have a place to put all the Star Wars parodies together" - the normal messageboard would be OK, but they'd drop off the bottom if nobody did a SW parody for the next few days or weeks.  But the concept of child boards seems tailor-made for this sort of idea...

Thanks

Phil

Star Trek, not Star Wars.

Written By: philbo on 07/26/04 at 4:05 pm

OK, OK... they're all four-letter words ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/27/04 at 5:30 pm

This has been on the back of my mind for some time, and I thank Philbo for putting a thought into it.  I would really think that a field for popular themes would be good for searching through, to find at a moment's notice. It would also be good for newbies to use so they can find their favorite topic right when they walk in the door...

Examples:

food (subcategories? bananas, hot dogs, hamburgers...?)
Lord of the Rings
TV (general)
Star Wars
Star Trek
Celebrities
Christmas (especially needed as a substitute for the Year Category, because of all the Trad. songs)
movies (general)
Harry Potter
Cartoons
Video Games (Arcade Junkie and Toutsouri Messengerwhateverhisnameis NEED this)
Sports/Sports Teams/Athletes
Politics/World Affairs
History
Science
high school/college
obesity
bathroom & sex humor (with a caveat note perhaps that these were "grandfathered" and all further submissions in this category will be found at or should be sent to whatfreaks.)

It would be really fantastic for these fields to be added to our old songs, so the authors can place them in their proper theme category. One can dream... ;)

Written By: K1chyd on 07/28/04 at 11:06 am

It would be really fantastic for these fields to be added to our old songs, so the authors can place them in their proper theme category. One can dream... ;)

There must be ways that this can be done. At least for us currently active and willing to help out with some (i.e. our own parodies). I´m no programmer but I´m thinking that if keywords could be added somehow. Phil´s already written some program dealing withthe author pages, right? (Gotta check that out one of these days). Maybe if an extra category/list/whateveryawannacallit was added to the authors pages, visible only for the somehow logged in author her-/himself, with a dropdown list of categories to choose between for all the old parodies, those categories then after choise has been made working as keywords for categorising parodies the way agrimorfee is on to.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/28/04 at 12:18 pm

There must be ways that this can be done. At least for us currently active and willing to help out with some (i.e. our own parodies). I´m no programmer but I´m thinking that if keywords could be added somehow. Phil´s already written some program dealing withthe author pages, right? (Gotta check that out one of these days). Maybe if an extra category/list/whateveryawannacallit was added to the authors pages, visible only for the somehow logged in author her-/himself, with a dropdown list of categories to choose between for all the old parodies, those categories then after choise has been made working as keywords for categorising parodies the way agrimorfee is on to.

I could add this to the site, kind of like I did for the news articles.  I know not many people have noticed, but if you click on the comments thread for a news article, you can see related parodies that people have suggested. I'm still a little disappointed that idea never really took off, I thought it had a lot of potential. Maybe the presentation is wrong?

I could put something on amiright, where people suggest a topic, and then when a certain number of parodies are added to the topic, I could highlight it on the front page of the site?

It would certainly be useful to have something to highlight the Christmas and other holiday parodies.  It might help the site get noticed in a newspaper article or two.  That in turn may help bring in more site visitors and parody authors.  The political crap might also help to get noticed that way as well. Anything that helps boost the visibility of the website is very much wanted.

Further discussion on this topic is appreciated.

Written By: K1chyd on 07/28/04 at 1:01 pm

I know not many people have noticed, but if you click on the comments thread for a news article, you can see related parodies that people have suggested. I'm still a little disappointed that idea never really took off, I thought it had a lot of potential. Maybe the presentation is wrong?

I´ve seen it. Seldom go/write fast enough from idea to alpha release though. And when I do write fast it´s generally because the initial idea has quickly, and often several times, transformed itself along the way and becomen a completely different topic/angel than what I started out with. I agree it has potential, but we´re not all as fast as Philbo and Johnny. :-)

Maybe some sort of highlighting of the best related-to-the-news parody each month? By your personal judgement if no other way is found.

Check for new replies or respond here...